Sugar Detox

Options

Replies

• SoLongAndThanksForAllTheFish
    Options
    I went to the doctor some time ago. My triglycerides were high. He whipped out his pad and wrote a prescription for some pill. Now, I asked my doctor, who I really like, what about diet and exercise for this? He looked at me like I was a zombie, handed me the script and walked out. I never took the pills and my triglycerides are fine now, controlled with diet and exercise. So, no, if your doctor actually said "sugar is toxic and will make you obese" don't listen to him because common sense says he is wrong, I don't have to.

You obviously had a deficiency in synthetic statins. ;)
  • LoupGarouTFTs
    LoupGarouTFTs Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    I would really like an explanation of "trigger" food. I've recently seen this word to excuse everything from emotional outbursts to binge eating and for me that makes it a buzzword. Buzzwords are rarely helpful in any capacity.

The bottom line is that if a person can't control him or herself around something, whether a picture or a word or a thought or a deed or even the dreaded sugar, there's something going on that has nothing to do with that picture, word, thought, deed, or food. In lots of cases, that means digging down into psychological connections (healthy mind/healthy body) or into underlying physical conditions that may be creating the symptom. It's like I tell people who throw a Halti on their dogs because they don't walk on a loose leash: you can't fix the problem by treating the symptom. The second you take that Halti off and try to walk on a loose leash that dog is going to be pulling like there's no tomorrow. Fido needs obedience training, yesterday, so that no one gets hurt; that is, the cause of Fido pulling on the leash needs to be identified and given corrective action before the crutch of the Halti can go in the trash (where it belongs).

If a person wants to "detox" from sugar by cutting it out of his or her diet, in my opinion that's just slapping a Halti on the dog. Same thing with a "trigger." If I know that Fido bolts at squirrels and his pulling is an effort to find the tree rat, then what good is it if I just avoid the squirrels? Eventually there will be a squirrel somewhere that we walk and Fido will respond to that "trigger."

What's the point?

Uh, no. My love for Trader Joe's Triple Ginger Cookies is not rooted in some deep psychological issue. It's rooted in the fact that they are yummy. No, yummy is not a good enough word. They are the perfect blend of buttery, chewy and crisp. Unlike many other cookies, I can't seem to resist them if they're in my house. I can hear them calling from the cabinet. Oh wait, hearing cookies..... maybe I do have a deep psychological issue.

Nice attempt at sarcasm, but you missed the part of my post that I have now thoughtfully bolded for you.

Eating is as much psychological as it is physical. Regardless of whether you get pleasure from something or feel disgusted by it, there is always a psychological component to a response to food. If you can't see a psychological component to what you are describing, then maybe you are too close to it; however, there could be something physical in there, too. The point is, you're pointing to the symptom as if it were the disease. If you don't like your behavior you need to find the reason behind it because Trader Joe's is not going to stop making those cookies and they will always be there for you to be tempted to buy a box.
    Options

I did not read your entire post..

but you took my quotes way out of context. I was replying to someone that specially said if you ate twinkies all day you would have "poor" health ..I simply pointed out that it was possible to do this, lose weight, and have better health markers..

I never tied it into long term health or anything else. I was simply saying that you can eat a diet comprised mainly of sugar and still lose weight..

but way to blow up for no reason and take what I said totally out of context.

No, completely in context. No blowing up here, I just tire of the ridiculous thrown up "Well some guy ate only twinkies, it proves they are harmless". No. Read up on it if you wont read here. It says nothing about any health effects OF THE TWINKIES except that a short term diet of them wont kill you and wont negate the effects of caloric restriction = weight loss = lower BMI = "better" blood markers. Weight loss and health are different animals. So is weight loss and one's mental food associations.

I'm sure you wont go for a caloric controlled diet of sterilized dog feces plus vitamins, protein shake and vegetable supplements, even though it "wont harm you" and you will lose weight. You know one of the main reasons why? Because mentally you have a problem with it. Yes its an aversion, but its still mental, just like those people you are arguing with may have with controlling eating sugary foods.

Avoiding processed foods and sugar is very very helpful in weight loss, even if only for the fact that it tends to reduce calories and tends to increase nutrition. So why try to argue against it? If you like those foods, that's nice, eat them. If someone else seems to have a problem with them, then more power to them in avoiding the foods.
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    I went to the doctor some time ago. My triglycerides were high. He whipped out his pad and wrote a prescription for some pill. Now, I asked my doctor, who I really like, what about diet and exercise for this? He looked at me like I was a zombie, handed me the script and walked out. I never took the pills and my triglycerides are fine now, controlled with diet and exercise. So, no, if your doctor actually said "sugar is toxic and will make you obese" don't listen to him because common sense says he is wrong, I don't have to.

I have no clue what you are saying, but my point is, my doctor missed that even after I asked him. He just handed me a prescription. It was in reference to the person who said her doctor said sugar is toxic and will make you obese. Doctors are not always right. with that said, here is why I think my doc did that and if hers really did........They see so many patients present with this or that, they tell them diet and exercise, the patient is unwilling to change, comes back and indicators are worse, here is a script. After so many of those they just skip the diet and exercise prescription because almost all wont do it. The pill usually works. So I think docs are jaded to the point of not even trying. You come in fat.......cut out sugar, it will kill you. Because that will work. Moderation wont, not because it is ineffective, but because we really don't want to make an effort, we really just want a pill and an excuse why it isn't our fault.
  • JessG11
    JessG11 Posts: 345 Member
    Options

I have no clue what you are saying, but my point is, my doctor missed that even after I asked him. He just handed me a prescription. It was in reference to the person who said her doctor said sugar is toxic and will make you obese. Doctors are not always right. with that said, here is why I think my doc did that and if hers really did........They see so many patients present with this or that, they tell them diet and exercise, the patient is unwilling to change, comes back and indicators are worse, here is a script. After so many of those they just skip the diet and exercise prescription because almost all wont do it. The pill usually works. So I think docs are jaded to the point of not even trying. You come in fat.......cut out sugar, it will kill you. Because that will work. Moderation wont, not because it is ineffective, but because we really don't want to make an effort, we really just want a pill and an excuse why it isn't our fault.

I never said my doc said that sugar was toxic. I was quoting someone else and was mis understood. What I was saying is that I've had doctors and others say something similar and suggest that I may want to abstain from eating cakes and so forth because it is adding to my obesity and watch where I'm getting sugars because it is adding to my obesity. Or more along the lines of: "You have issues with self control so maybe try this while you work on those factors playing into it. Maybe try abstaining from cake and cookies and so forth."
    Options

What I said is that since you appeared to have a blood study done showing elevated triglycerides and cholesterol, he more than likely handed you a prescription for statins. I was being sarcastic in saying it was a deficiency and you took the right course of action. However, if you had a significant problem, statins COULD reduce the risk, but you took the better/safer/long term/no side effect solution, great job!

The reason many doctors will advocate cutting it out, is many people try cutting out processed foods and sugars, and succeed for a while, but eventually fail and go back to old habits. For these people it is many times easier to just not eat them in the first place. Not only this, but it has NO negatives as long as you are getting your nutrition and calories elsewhere. Maybe you may make the office lady handing you a cake sad, that's about it. Even you would benefit from this if you were trying to lose weight and had no problems, because you would have on average less calories per meal and lose more weight. So, I would say this doctor's advice of avoid processed food and sugars is good and he is trying to look out for the patient.

Contrast to the "here take this statin and this diet pill" prescription doc. Which one is doing a better job? Which one is actually taking serious the oath of "first, do no harm"? Statins do have significant health risks, so do diet pills, exercise and avoid sugar do not. Unfortunately we need to also be aware that the prescription giving doc will get better "patient satisfaction ratings" (nobody wants to be told exercise and dont eat that food) and sell more product/be praised by the hospital organization, and will therefore financially do better. Again, which one is looking out for your interest more?

*Edit btw I completely agree with your summary: many doctors who start out trying to get patients to exercise and control calories and "do the right thing" eventually "burn out" and hand the script. It is going to be an even bigger problem soon, since "patient satisfaction surveys" are given out as a basis to rate doctors, who already are feeling pressure to hand out that antibiotic, those painkillers, those statins, etc Doctors get this pressure from the patient, from the hospital/administration, and now soon more directly with the prevalence of these surveys, and the 850million dollars of REDUCTION in funds that Obamacare "budgeted in" for the lower performing clinics based on these surveys...
  • JessG11
    Options
    Yes I think it's important to make sure your balanced. I'm not sure how someone can eliminate an entire group and not be low in something.
  • Bernadette60614
    Bernadette60614 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    What I think about:

We've been told for decades that it is: Eat less, move more.

True.

But, why is it so hard to eat less and move more?

I eat less and move more when I eat far less sugar, flour and refined foods. I also move more cause I feel a million times better.

I've have weighed just about the same since high school (except for some blips with post college fat and medical treatment fat from hormones). I've struggled to eat less and move more. It was like trying to keep a beach ball under water...I can only do it for so long before that ball just rebounds.

When I eat far less sugar and those items listed above, it takes planning, but it takes far less effort. Plus, my energy level is just wonderful. I'm not spending tons of energy on willpower, eating less, moving more just comes naturally.

I congratulate those people who can eat less of everything and have massive willpower. I can't and I don't.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

I never said my doc said that sugar was toxic. I was quoting someone else and was mis understood. What I was saying is that I've had doctors and others say something similar and suggest that I may want to abstain from eating cakes and so forth because it is adding to my obesity and watch where I'm getting sugars because it is adding to my obesity. Or more along the lines of: "You have issues with self control so maybe try this while you work on those factors playing into it. Maybe try abstaining from cake and cookies and so forth."

What was the statement that was similar to sugar is toxic? I'm not attacking, just genuinely curious.
  • meganjcallaghan
    meganjcallaghan Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    Sugar can be very evil! If you eat tons of sugar but still have a calorie deficit, yes, you will lose weight. However, sugar is toxic to the body and can cause many severe health problems. It's always a good idea to limit your sugar intake. Telling someone it doesn't matter how much sugar they consume is not a great piece of advice!

I say this only because i'm in pretty good shape and i'm considered to be in my normal weight range - yet i'm prediabetic and i've got high blood pressure. I have both of these conditions partially because even though i keep my calorie intake in check I still consume waay too much sugar. There are many people who would probably lose weight and better their health just by reducing the amount of sugar they consume.

sugar is not toxic....that's what your body runs on. sugar in excess of the recommended limit of added sugar per day is not even an issue for most people. There is a correlation between sugar intake and the onset of diabetes because overeating sugary treats means more calories and more calories mean more weight. Obesity can cause the onset of diabetes. That said, correlation is not causation. The sugar situation might be different for you perhaps because of your condition, but sugar in and of itself does not cause diabetes or prediabetes. it simply exacerbates matters if you already happen to have insulin resistance due to obesity or are simply glucose intolerant due to the crappy gift of genetics.

Because I'm trying to donate a kidney and diabetes and high blood pressure are the leading causes of renal failure, and because there is a history of Diabetes in my family and I already have a high fasting blood sugar, I keep my added sugar intake to well below the recommended 24 grams. Most of what I get is from fruits and vegetables and I'm also careful to make sure the fruits and vegetables i DO choose are low on the Glycemic Index and/or have low Glycemic Load. Doing all this has not changed my blood sugar level because it is what it is. My impaired glucose tolerance will always be there, just like yours, so we avoid excess sugar because it's simply too hard for the insulin to do its work. If a person does not have impaired glucose tolerance, they can eat sugar all day every day and it won't make a lick of difference. Sugar is not evil just because we got the short end of the stick.
  • JessG11
    Options

What was the statement that was similar to sugar is toxic? I'm not attacking, just genuinely curious.

It was in a statement I responded to but that poster never said her doctor said that either. From my knowledge, no one has stated a doctor has said sugar is toxic. Now along with your statement of a doctor just giving meds I've been there. I had a doctor unwilling to even give me calorie goals and handed me a script for Adipex instead. I changed doctors.
    EDIT: Sorry! You didn't make the statement about doctors handing out meds, someone else did. Got my posters mixed up.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    The sugar situation might be different for you perhaps because of your condition, but sugar in and of itself does not cause diabetes or prediabetes. it simply exacerbates matters if you already happen to have insulin resistance due to obesity or are simply glucose intolerant due to the crappy gift of genetics.

Because I'm trying to donate a kidney and diabetes and high blood pressure are the leading causes of renal failure, and because there is a history of Diabetes in my family and I already have a high fasting blood sugar, I keep my added sugar intake to well below the recommended 24 grams. Most of what I get is from fruits and vegetables and I'm also careful to make sure the fruits and vegetables i DO choose are low on the Glycemic Index and/or have low Glycemic Load. Doing all this has not changed my blood sugar level because it is what it is. My impaired glucose tolerance will always be there, just like yours, so we avoid excess sugar because it's simply too hard for the insulin to do its work. If a person does not have impaired glucose tolerance, they can eat sugar all day every day and it won't make a lick of difference. Sugar is not evil just because we got the short end of the stick.
    NIcely presented well educated post (ie, matches my understanding :) ).

You (generally) don't see people allergic to, peanuts say, suggesting no one should eat them because a few have problems with them.
  • Mav3rick54
    Mav3rick54 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I have read the entire thread....I'm exhausted...I need some sugar. :bigsmile:
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

I did not read your entire post..

but you took my quotes way out of context. I was replying to someone that specially said if you ate twinkies all day you would have "poor" health ..I simply pointed out that it was possible to do this, lose weight, and have better health markers..

I never tied it into long term health or anything else. I was simply saying that you can eat a diet comprised mainly of sugar and still lose weight..

but way to blow up for no reason and take what I said totally out of context.

No, completely in context. No blowing up here, I just tire of the ridiculous thrown up "Well some guy ate only twinkies, it proves they are harmless". No. Read up on it if you wont read here. It says nothing about any health effects OF THE TWINKIES except that a short term diet of them wont kill you and wont negate the effects of caloric restriction = weight loss = lower BMI = "better" blood markers. Weight loss and health are different animals. So is weight loss and one's mental food associations.

I'm sure you wont go for a caloric controlled diet of sterilized dog feces plus vitamins, protein shake and vegetable supplements, even though it "wont harm you" and you will lose weight. You know one of the main reasons why? Because mentally you have a problem with it. Yes its an aversion, but its still mental, just like those people you are arguing with may have with controlling eating sugary foods.

Avoiding processed foods and sugar is very very helpful in weight loss, even if only for the fact that it tends to reduce calories and tends to increase nutrition. So why try to argue against it? If you like those foods, that's nice, eat them. If someone else seems to have a problem with them, then more power to them in avoiding the foods.

yes, it was out of context..go back and read the whole post….

I simply said that the twinkie diet shows you can eat majority diet of sugar and lose weight and improve some health markers..which directly contradicted what the OP in that post said, period.
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    and the people who have been here for years with nothing to show for it who somehow think they know whats up in everything nutriton related.

Oh! I get it... only people with rockin' bodies can give advise or could possibly know the answers. Check!

I don't feel like I'm "All knowing" when it comes to diet and fitness.. I'm sure I'm far from expert level. But that doesn't mean I haven't gone through what someone else has gone through and can share advise with my experience. I guess I feel like a lot of the time, someone who has succeed in their weight loss (such as yourself) feel that their path is the only correct one. I applaud the work you put in and am glad you achieved your goals. But there are many paths to the end result and just because someone hasn't gotten there yet doesn't mean they don't have valid input into a conversation.

Great Post.

Considering that I am one that has been all over the place for years and years when it comes to dieting doesn't mean I'm not an expert. After years of research, meeting with various people, from dieticians, doctors, therapist, I am actually highly educated in the ins and outs of losing weight. But that doesn't mean I have practiced it. Having an unhealthy relationship with certain foods and going down different paths to see what works for the individual doesn't mean that food is demonized. Hey, I love sugar...L O V E it. I will eat a sweet and smile, savor it, taste every part of it, BUT then I eat another, and another and then I crash. And feel crappy and then what do I reach for because I've crashed? Another sweet treat. Because it taste so dang good and makes me happy. Restricting particular foods is not a bad thing. I'm not saying ENTIRE food groups. But a person needs to find out what works for them. For some, weight loss is simply less calories in than burned. BAM. It's easy. But for others, it is a major lifestyle overhaul. And there is NO straight path to a person changing their lifestyle. We are all different in many ways (psychosocial speaking) and different approaches work for different folks. I don't think it's wrong that people eat twinkies, or a bit of ice cream every day. Just like I don't think it's wrong that I choose to not eat those foods every day. I ate dinner last night, wanted something sweet, and had an orange. To me, that is learning to have a healthy relationship with food.

The thing is food restriction is rarely discussed in a "this worked for me kind of way," but more often in an absolute.

For example, I can either say, "Some people deal with binges by restricting a food. Try avoiding cake for a month. See how you feel, physically and mentally, and see how it affects your weight."

Or, I can say, "You shouldn't eat cake. It has sugar, which is toxic and addictive and will make you obese."

HUGE difference. I can support the former, but the latter is just flat out incorrect.

So I guess when I personally have had multiple people, such as doctors, trainers, a therapist, who knows my full history tell me in similar words "You shouldn't eat cake. It has sugar, which is toxic and addictive and will make you obese." I should tell them they are all wrong? Because I'm going to go with the former.

Now, if you saying that perhaps posters should put a little more explanation then just making one or the other statement, I completely agree.

The last part of this is the quote about the doctor. You even put "quotes" around it to show they said it. How is that not what you said?
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Avoiding processed foods and sugar is very very helpful in weight loss, even if only for the fact that it tends to reduce calories and tends to increase nutrition. So why try to argue against it?
    Just to clarify; "Avoiding processed foods and sugar is very very helpful in weight loss," for YOU maybe, for other sure.
    NOT for everyone.
    So why try to argue against it ;).
    As you suggest, for many there can be no problem with eating such foods and I'd suggest it can help adherance to a diet.
    So why not argue against the people that universally slate it?
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Sugar is a toxin that accumulates in the body?

In...to catch up on GREAT GOOGLY MOOGLY, 16 PAGES?!?

I'm not catching up on that.

ANGTFT
  • ihad
    ihad Posts: 7,463 Member
    Options
    if you were going to take driving lessons would you take them from a) someone with one speeding violation and no accidents or b0 someone with multiple speeding violations and five or six accidents???

I try to look to people that have had long term success in health and fitness and draw from their knowledge and experience. Does that mean that exactly what they did will work for me? No, of course not; it does however mean that they can provide me with more useful information for to add to what I have already found what works for me. And most people that have had success in health, weight loss, fitness etc, are going to have "rocking bodies" or "athletic bodies" or whatever adjective you want to use to describe it..

I love how you somehow turn around long term success and an athletic body and try to make it an insult...interesting...

Your first mistake is using an apples-to-oranges analogy comparing the infinitely complex world of weight loss and health to something as simple and concrete as driving lessons. Weight loss and health don't only involve simple mechanics and skill. There are myriad layers to the human psyche and emotions at play. This is what folks with your attitude don't understand, and this is why you lack the COMPLETE set of skills needed to help people effectively.

There is an ancient passage that is commonly used at weddings and it goes something like this:

"If I speak in the tongues of men or of angels, but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. If I give all I possess to the poor and give over my body to hardship that I may boast, but do not have love, I gain nothing."

You can have all the long-term success and athleticism and great looks and "expertise" in the world, but if you don't have empathy, listening skills, an understanding of what people who struggle with eating disorders feel and think, and a heart of compassion, then on these boards.....you're nothing but a Derp-spreader. It's that simple. And that's why you get SO much push-back from people on here.

To the 3-4 people we're all thinking of and speaking to here....please be wise to consider this feedback. You could really be a helpful force to many people. Don't blow that chance.

the sage of MFP advice has spoken and we should all take heed and follow her path < that was sarcasm in case your missed it.

Yea, so you totally missed my point, but I guess I will go with a health and fitness related one so that we are all on the same page.

Would you rather take health and fitness advice from an out of shape obese person, or someone that has obviously met their health and fitness goals? For me, I would rather go with the later as they obviously have accomplished their goals and know what they are doing.

And I love how you somehow seem to know what kind of "advice" that I give. Pray tell, have you reviewed my entire positing history??? If not then maybe you should not be so quick to paint with a broad brush ...

You do not have a clue what I or the "others" that you mention give for advice...

LOL so if we are commenting about juice cleanses, sugar detoxes, master cleanses, water fasts, et al and saying that they are "bad" that makes us "derp spreaders"....ok ...take your holier than thou attitude somewhere else...rolling eyez...

I can't believe this thread is still going :) I haven't read the last page in full detail as you can only read the same thing so many times. But I do want to comment on a few things.

I used to be really fat and out of shape. I was almost 300 pounds and I ate a lot - a LOT of food. I would've loved to blame it on an addiction to food or sugar or what have you or even a lack of self control. Rather, I decided to eat my feelings instead of deal with them. Lesson learned - don't eat your feelings - you don't really solve anything that way.

There are SO MANY people on MFP - this thread included - saying "I can't" do this or "I can't" do that. When you started something else in your life did you tell yoruself you couldn't do it and set yourself up for failure? Probably not. So why are you doing it with this?

I quoted the above as I would much rather take fitness advice from someone who is in great shape. My husband is in phenomenal shape - so I get my lifting advice from him. I get my running advice from my sister who is an experienced runner. I'm not going to ask my brother who runs and lifts occasionally about advice on either.

I'm in school to be a Dietitian and have completed another Nutrition related program. I was told by the RD that I did a clinical with that since I had experience with food struggles and weight previously, people would be more inclined to listen to me as I would be able to at least somewhat understand the struggles food can present and how to get to and manage a healthy lifestyle. No, I don't know everything but I do know that unless you have an allergy no food group is inherently bad for you and if any Dietitian tells you to exclude one particular food or food group I'd wonder what their motives are. I know that I love cookies and cake. I do. I would eat them all - if I could. I could probably eat an entire 12" cookie cake doused in frosting in no time. I want to sometimes. But I don't. Because I know I can stop myself and I will regret it later. Yes, food can release feel-good hormones in our brain but that doesn't mean that we can't enjoy the "good" feeling and walk away after having a bite or two.

This is what we need to teach ourselves. Abstaining from any particular food or food group, unless you have an allergy, is not going to solve your problem that is seeded within.

I just wish people in general would stop saying they "can't" do something. It irks me to no end that people are not giving themselves enough credit for what you can do. You CAN lose weight by eating a cookie now and then if you want and believe you can eat one and walk away. For goodness sake I don't care if you have to buy a cookie and then walk far away from where you got the cookie so you don't have a second one. You CAN lose weight by eating Paleo or by eating Twinkies or whatever freaking diet you want.

Give yourself some credit. Most people will say to eat whatever you want in moderation - 80% clean, 20% junk. Because it works. It allows us indulgences. Some people don't like that - fine. Do what you want but believe that you can do it and for the love of God don't demonize any food. Sugar isn't a freaking dangerous substance. Neither are carbs. Almost 50% of your diet should come from carbs unless you have special diet restrictions.

Apparently I should have commented a lot sooner because now I'm so frustrated I just rambled for 90000000 paragraphs.

Note: Sugar debates
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options

ANGTFT
    Well let's put it this way:

Vitamin A becomes toxic at only 0.003 grams per day.

Sugar (sucrose) becomes toxic at what, 29.7 g/kg. So for me at ~80 kg that would be that's 2.376 kilograms (5.2 POUNDS) of sugar.

Vitamin A is 792,000 times more toxic than sugar.

Considering that amount of sugar would be 9504 calories, I would think the weight gain alone is far more troublesome long before you start getting to "toxicity" issues with sugar.

Given all of this, I would suggest that a "vitamin A detox" would be far more effective and reasonable than a "sugar detox."
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

ANGTFT
    Well let's put it this way:

Vitamin A becomes toxic at only 0.003 grams per day.

Sugar (sucrose) becomes toxic at what, 29.7 g/kg. So for me at ~80 kg that would be that's 2.376 kilograms (5.2 POUNDS) of sugar.

Vitamin A is 792,000 times more toxic than sugar.

Considering that amount of sugar would be 9504 calories, I would think the weight gain alone is far more troublesome long before you start getting to "toxicity" issues with sugar.

Given all of this, I would suggest that a "vitamin A detox" would be far more effective and reasonable than a "sugar detox."

In that case...

...I'm in...

...unless this "vitamin A detox" involves drinking nothing but juice for 7-21 days.