Sugar Detox

Options

Replies

• JessG11
    JessG11 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    and the people who have been here for years with nothing to show for it who somehow think they know whats up in everything nutriton related.

Oh! I get it... only people with rockin' bodies can give advise or could possibly know the answers. Check!

I don't feel like I'm "All knowing" when it comes to diet and fitness.. I'm sure I'm far from expert level. But that doesn't mean I haven't gone through what someone else has gone through and can share advise with my experience. I guess I feel like a lot of the time, someone who has succeed in their weight loss (such as yourself) feel that their path is the only correct one. I applaud the work you put in and am glad you achieved your goals. But there are many paths to the end result and just because someone hasn't gotten there yet doesn't mean they don't have valid input into a conversation.

Great Post.

Considering that I am one that has been all over the place for years and years when it comes to dieting doesn't mean I'm not an expert. After years of research, meeting with various people, from dieticians, doctors, therapist, I am actually highly educated in the ins and outs of losing weight. But that doesn't mean I have practiced it. Having an unhealthy relationship with certain foods and going down different paths to see what works for the individual doesn't mean that food is demonized. Hey, I love sugar...L O V E it. I will eat a sweet and smile, savor it, taste every part of it, BUT then I eat another, and another and then I crash. And feel crappy and then what do I reach for because I've crashed? Another sweet treat. Because it taste so dang good and makes me happy. Restricting particular foods is not a bad thing. I'm not saying ENTIRE food groups. But a person needs to find out what works for them. For some, weight loss is simply less calories in than burned. BAM. It's easy. But for others, it is a major lifestyle overhaul. And there is NO straight path to a person changing their lifestyle. We are all different in many ways (psychosocial speaking) and different approaches work for different folks. I don't think it's wrong that people eat twinkies, or a bit of ice cream every day. Just like I don't think it's wrong that I choose to not eat those foods every day. I ate dinner last night, wanted something sweet, and had an orange. To me, that is learning to have a healthy relationship with food.

The thing is food restriction is rarely discussed in a "this worked for me kind of way," but more often in an absolute.

For example, I can either say, "Some people deal with binges by restricting a food. Try avoiding cake for a month. See how you feel, physically and mentally, and see how it affects your weight."

Or, I can say, "You shouldn't eat cake. It has sugar, which is toxic and addictive and will make you obese."

HUGE difference. I can support the former, but the latter is just flat out incorrect.

Sorry both stances are a big no no on these forum. It is unforgivable to cut back or reduce anything - ever!

And it's apparently a big no no to listen to medically trained experts advice to cut back, reduce, or cut out too! Who knew?!
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    and the people who have been here for years with nothing to show for it who somehow think they know whats up in everything nutriton related.

Oh! I get it... only people with rockin' bodies can give advise or could possibly know the answers. Check!

I don't feel like I'm "All knowing" when it comes to diet and fitness.. I'm sure I'm far from expert level. But that doesn't mean I haven't gone through what someone else has gone through and can share advise with my experience. I guess I feel like a lot of the time, someone who has succeed in their weight loss (such as yourself) feel that their path is the only correct one. I applaud the work you put in and am glad you achieved your goals. But there are many paths to the end result and just because someone hasn't gotten there yet doesn't mean they don't have valid input into a conversation.

Great Post.

Considering that I am one that has been all over the place for years and years when it comes to dieting doesn't mean I'm not an expert. After years of research, meeting with various people, from dieticians, doctors, therapist, I am actually highly educated in the ins and outs of losing weight. But that doesn't mean I have practiced it. Having an unhealthy relationship with certain foods and going down different paths to see what works for the individual doesn't mean that food is demonized. Hey, I love sugar...L O V E it. I will eat a sweet and smile, savor it, taste every part of it, BUT then I eat another, and another and then I crash. And feel crappy and then what do I reach for because I've crashed? Another sweet treat. Because it taste so dang good and makes me happy. Restricting particular foods is not a bad thing. I'm not saying ENTIRE food groups. But a person needs to find out what works for them. For some, weight loss is simply less calories in than burned. BAM. It's easy. But for others, it is a major lifestyle overhaul. And there is NO straight path to a person changing their lifestyle. We are all different in many ways (psychosocial speaking) and different approaches work for different folks. I don't think it's wrong that people eat twinkies, or a bit of ice cream every day. Just like I don't think it's wrong that I choose to not eat those foods every day. I ate dinner last night, wanted something sweet, and had an orange. To me, that is learning to have a healthy relationship with food.

The thing is food restriction is rarely discussed in a "this worked for me kind of way," but more often in an absolute.

For example, I can either say, "Some people deal with binges by restricting a food. Try avoiding cake for a month. See how you feel, physically and mentally, and see how it affects your weight."

Or, I can say, "You shouldn't eat cake. It has sugar, which is toxic and addictive and will make you obese."

HUGE difference. I can support the former, but the latter is just flat out incorrect.

Sorry both stances are a big no no on these forum. It is unforgivable to cut back or reduce anything - ever!

And it's apparently a big no no to listen to medically trained experts advice to cut back, reduce, or cut out too! Who knew?!

What kind of "medical training". Are we talking GP's here?
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options

Great Post.

I wouldn't listen to my doctor about fitness or nutrition. I probably know more about it than she does.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

Great Post.

Dr Oz, Dr Mercola and many other quacks are medically trained. So what exactly is your point?
  • JessG11
    Options
    Man, I guess I need to give my entire medical history here huh? I never said myself sugar is a toxin. I took that sentence directly out of someone else's post who I quoted and said that I have had doctors tell me similar information such as it would be good for someone like you, with your history to try and abstain from sugar treats until the time comes you feel you can make healthy decisions.

I myself get sugar. I get it in fruits and veggies and carbs like whole grains and peanut butter. For myself, I'm talking about sweet treats.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options

Great Post.

Except their "medical training" is not "nutritional training". Your argument is laughable considering you dont even understand the points you are making and can only appeal to what your "medically trained experts" are telling you.

Anything, depending on dosage, is toxic.
  • establishingaplace
    establishingaplace Posts: 301 Member
    Options

Great Post.

So I guess when I personally have had multiple people, such as doctors, trainers, a therapist, who knows my full history tell me in similar words "You shouldn't eat cake. It has sugar, which is toxic and addictive and will make you obese." I should tell them they are all wrong? Because I'm going to go with the former.

Now, if you saying that perhaps posters should put a little more explanation then just making one or the other statement, I completely agree.

Yes, always listen to them, because doctors and therapists can never, ever be wrong about anything ever.
  • wheird
    Options
    Man, I guess I need to give my entire medical history here huh? I never said myself sugar is a toxin. I took that sentence directly out of someone else's post who I quoted and said that I have had doctors tell me similar information such as it would be good for someone like you, with your history to try and abstain from sugar treats until the time comes you feel you can make healthy decisions.

I myself get sugar. I get it in fruits and veggies and carbs like whole grains and peanut butter. For myself, I'm talking about sweet treats.

Now sugar is toxic until you have self control?

Lmao.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Options

Well you're the one wanting to argue about it...
  • JessG11
    Options
    I don't know that I ever watched an entire Dr. Oz, I have no clue who Dr. Mercola is. But we will all have to agree to disagree when it comes to my going with advice of the highly trained experts I have in my world and what works best for ME.
  • wheird
    Options
    I get my plumbing advice from electricians because they both work on houses.
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options

What do you believe is the chemical difference in the sugar found in those foods you do eat, versus the sugar found in 'sweet treats?' On a biochemical level, what makes the sugars found in peanut butter acceptable, while the sugars found in - for example - a Hershey's bar are unacceptable for you?
  • annetomarchio
    Options
    to sugar detox I am a sugar freak no so much sweets but in can goods, lunch meat etc. I use truvia to sweeten coffee and tea I am having a problem with to much sodium my ankles are swollen all the time. but back to you feeling gittery in the morning sounds like low sugar or low thyroid have you had a gloclose test
  • JessG11
    Options

You're right. Totally what I'm doing. Arguing. Trying to give a different perspective that perhaps everyone doesn't fit into the same mold as everyone else and telling people they should NOT listen to their doctors and other experts in their lives when trying to make changes, they should just listen to internet forums....shame on me....seriously...shame on me for having a different perspective on things.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

You're right. Totally what I'm doing. Arguing. Trying to give a different perspective that perhaps everyone doesn't fit into the same mold as everyone else and telling people they should NOT listen to their doctors and other experts in their lives when trying to make changes, they should just listen to internet forums....shame on me....seriously...shame on me for having a different perspective on things.

Dr. Andrew Wakefield, expert on vaccines cause he's medically trained.
  • JessG11
    Options

What do you believe is the chemical difference in the sugar found in those foods you do eat, versus the sugar found in 'sweet treats?' On a biochemical level, what makes the sugars found in peanut butter acceptable, while the sugars found in - for example - a Hershey's bar are unacceptable for you?

Obviously you haven't read older posts in this extremely long thread. I, myself, am not abstaining from sugar. Just certain sugar filled foods like chocolate, ice cream, cookies and cakes, as I try to gain some healthier habits and self control so I don't eat massive amounts of these foods.
    EDIT: I don't believe it is a biochemical thing for me so much as an emotional and mental thing. Others, I'm sure are different.
  • RllyGudTweetr
    Options

Is it your belief that we should simply nod and 'agree to disagree' when folks insist the world is flat, or claim that the world is run by a secret shadow organization?
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Options

If a doctor told me to detox from sugar, I'd find a different doctor. Seriously, you act like doctors are gods or something. Have you ever sought a second opinion on something because what they said didn't sound right?
  • JessG11
    Options

Now sugar is toxic until you have self control?

Lmao.

Read my post dude...I never said sugar was toxic.
  • RllyGudTweetr
    Options

Obviously you haven't read older posts in this extremely long thread. I, myself, am not abstaining from sugar. Just certain sugar filled foods like chocolate, ice cream, cookies and cakes, as I try to gain some healthier habits and self control so I don't eat massive amounts of these foods.
    EDIT: I don't believe it is a biochemical thing for me so much as an emotional and mental thing. Others, I'm sure are different.
    I did read them. I'm not understanding - at all - what you're thinking you'll accomplish by selectively abstaining from specific foods. I'm also not understanding - at all - how your response actually answered the question I put to you; could you clarify?