Sugar Detox

Options

Replies

• establishingaplace
    establishingaplace Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    and the people who have been here for years with nothing to show for it who somehow think they know whats up in everything nutriton related.

Oh! I get it... only people with rockin' bodies can give advise or could possibly know the answers. Check!

I don't feel like I'm "All knowing" when it comes to diet and fitness.. I'm sure I'm far from expert level. But that doesn't mean I haven't gone through what someone else has gone through and can share advise with my experience. I guess I feel like a lot of the time, someone who has succeed in their weight loss (such as yourself) feel that their path is the only correct one. I applaud the work you put in and am glad you achieved your goals. But there are many paths to the end result and just because someone hasn't gotten there yet doesn't mean they don't have valid input into a conversation.

Great Post.

Considering that I am one that has been all over the place for years and years when it comes to dieting doesn't mean I'm not an expert. After years of research, meeting with various people, from dieticians, doctors, therapist, I am actually highly educated in the ins and outs of losing weight. But that doesn't mean I have practiced it. Having an unhealthy relationship with certain foods and going down different paths to see what works for the individual doesn't mean that food is demonized. Hey, I love sugar...L O V E it. I will eat a sweet and smile, savor it, taste every part of it, BUT then I eat another, and another and then I crash. And feel crappy and then what do I reach for because I've crashed? Another sweet treat. Because it taste so dang good and makes me happy. Restricting particular foods is not a bad thing. I'm not saying ENTIRE food groups. But a person needs to find out what works for them. For some, weight loss is simply less calories in than burned. BAM. It's easy. But for others, it is a major lifestyle overhaul. And there is NO straight path to a person changing their lifestyle. We are all different in many ways (psychosocial speaking) and different approaches work for different folks. I don't think it's wrong that people eat twinkies, or a bit of ice cream every day. Just like I don't think it's wrong that I choose to not eat those foods every day. I ate dinner last night, wanted something sweet, and had an orange. To me, that is learning to have a healthy relationship with food.

The thing is food restriction is rarely discussed in a "this worked for me kind of way," but more often in an absolute.

For example, I can either say, "Some people deal with binges by restricting a food. Try avoiding cake for a month. See how you feel, physically and mentally, and see how it affects your weight."

Or, I can say, "You shouldn't eat cake. It has sugar, which is toxic and addictive and will make you obese."

HUGE difference. I can support the former, but the latter is just flat out incorrect.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    if you were going to take driving lessons would you take them from a) someone with one speeding violation and no accidents or b0 someone with multiple speeding violations and five or six accidents???

I try to look to people that have had long term success in health and fitness and draw from their knowledge and experience. Does that mean that exactly what they did will work for me? No, of course not; it does however mean that they can provide me with more useful information for to add to what I have already found what works for me. And most people that have had success in health, weight loss, fitness etc, are going to have "rocking bodies" or "athletic bodies" or whatever adjective you want to use to describe it..

I love how you somehow turn around long term success and an athletic body and try to make it an insult...interesting...

Your first mistake is using an apples-to-oranges analogy comparing the infinitely complex world of weight loss and health to something as simple and concrete as driving lessons. Weight loss and health don't only involve simple mechanics and skill. There are myriad layers to the human psyche and emotions at play. This is what folks with your attitude don't understand, and this is why you lack the COMPLETE set of skills needed to help people effectively.

There is an ancient passage that is commonly used at weddings and it goes something like this:

"If I speak in the tongues of men or of angels, but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. If I give all I possess to the poor and give over my body to hardship that I may boast, but do not have love, I gain nothing."

You can have all the long-term success and athleticism and great looks and "expertise" in the world, but if you don't have empathy, listening skills, an understanding of what people who struggle with eating disorders feel and think, and a heart of compassion, then on these boards.....you're nothing but a Derp-spreader. It's that simple. And that's why you get SO much push-back from people on here.

To the 3-4 people we're all thinking of and speaking to here....please be wise to consider this feedback. You could really be a helpful force to many people. Don't blow that chance.

the sage of MFP advice has spoken and we should all take heed and follow her path < that was sarcasm in case your missed it.

Yea, so you totally missed my point, but I guess I will go with a health and fitness related one so that we are all on the same page.

Would you rather take health and fitness advice from an out of shape obese person, or someone that has obviously met their health and fitness goals? For me, I would rather go with the later as they obviously have accomplished their goals and know what they are doing.

And I love how you somehow seem to know what kind of "advice" that I give. Pray tell, have you reviewed my entire positing history??? If not then maybe you should not be so quick to paint with a broad brush ...

You do not have a clue what I or the "others" that you mention give for advice...

LOL so if we are commenting about juice cleanses, sugar detoxes, master cleanses, water fasts, et al and saying that they are "bad" that makes us "derp spreaders"....ok ...take your holier than thou attitude somewhere else...rolling eyez...
  • _Resolve_
    _Resolve_ Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    Didn't realize sugar was a toxin... news to this diabetic.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    and the people who have been here for years with nothing to show for it who somehow think they know whats up in everything nutriton related.

Oh! I get it... only people with rockin' bodies can give advise or could possibly know the answers. Check!

I don't feel like I'm "All knowing" when it comes to diet and fitness.. I'm sure I'm far from expert level. But that doesn't mean I haven't gone through what someone else has gone through and can share advise with my experience. I guess I feel like a lot of the time, someone who has succeed in their weight loss (such as yourself) feel that their path is the only correct one. I applaud the work you put in and am glad you achieved your goals. But there are many paths to the end result and just because someone hasn't gotten there yet doesn't mean they don't have valid input into a conversation.

Great Post.

Considering that I am one that has been all over the place for years and years when it comes to dieting doesn't mean I'm not an expert. After years of research, meeting with various people, from dieticians, doctors, therapist, I am actually highly educated in the ins and outs of losing weight. But that doesn't mean I have practiced it. Having an unhealthy relationship with certain foods and going down different paths to see what works for the individual doesn't mean that food is demonized. Hey, I love sugar...L O V E it. I will eat a sweet and smile, savor it, taste every part of it, BUT then I eat another, and another and then I crash. And feel crappy and then what do I reach for because I've crashed? Another sweet treat. Because it taste so dang good and makes me happy. Restricting particular foods is not a bad thing. I'm not saying ENTIRE food groups. But a person needs to find out what works for them. For some, weight loss is simply less calories in than burned. BAM. It's easy. But for others, it is a major lifestyle overhaul. And there is NO straight path to a person changing their lifestyle. We are all different in many ways (psychosocial speaking) and different approaches work for different folks. I don't think it's wrong that people eat twinkies, or a bit of ice cream every day. Just like I don't think it's wrong that I choose to not eat those foods every day. I ate dinner last night, wanted something sweet, and had an orange. To me, that is learning to have a healthy relationship with food.

The thing is food restriction is rarely discussed in a "this worked for me kind of way," but more often in an absolute.

For example, I can either say, "Some people deal with binges by restricting a food. Try avoiding cake for a month. See how you feel, physically and mentally, and see how it affects your weight."

Or, I can say, "You shouldn't eat cake. It has sugar, which is toxic and addictive and will make you obese."

HUGE difference. I can support the former, but the latter is just flat out incorrect.

Sorry both stances are a big no no on these forum. It is unforgivable to cut back or reduce anything - ever!
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options

Great Post.

Sorry both stances are a big no no on these forum. It is unforgivable to cut back or reduce anything - ever!

You are so damn disingenuous.
  • kducky22
    kducky22 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Didn't realize sugar was a toxin... news to this diabetic.

I think the problem lay in peoples interpretation of the word "detox". I think OP did not mean sugar was a toxic substance that she had to rid herself of or it would kill her. I think OP (as well as a lot of newbies) use the word as a way of referring to something they would like to personally give up. Relating the word detox to the struggle they have resisting the food, not the literal meaning of it being an actual toxic substance.

Edit: I am currently going to detox of MTV/E reality shows... Those train wrecks are so hard to avoid!!!
  • JessG11
    JessG11 Posts: 345 Member
    Options

Great Post.

So I guess when I personally have had multiple people, such as doctors, trainers, a therapist, who knows my full history tell me in similar words "You shouldn't eat cake. It has sugar, which is toxic and addictive and will make you obese." I should tell them they are all wrong? Because I'm going to go with the former.

Now, if you saying that perhaps posters should put a little more explanation then just making one or the other statement, I completely agree.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options

I'm sorry you feel your information isn't taken seriously, but I for one would much rather listen to someone on here that has proven their knowledge base, rocking body or not.

And that actually proves where we are all different in many ways. Because I myself would rather listen to and have support of those who have had similar struggles as I have and can understand where I am coming from with certain topics. Doesn't make one way any better than the other. It's just the path you choose. Now when it comes to exercises or programs I will want someone that has tried a particular program and had success to give advice. But when it comes to struggles with food, I'd prefer someone who can understand what I'm dealing with and give me insight and different perspectives I may not have.

So you think I've never struggled with food?

Once upon a time, I would buy big bags of m&ms, put them in my pantry, and then only have them in there as long as it took me to get off the couch and eat them. Bags of m&ms would be in my belly before the day is done. I tried to eliminate sugar many times, and as soon as I said I couldn't take it anymore, I would go buy more bags of m&ms and eat them until they were all gone.

The most liberating thing I could do was teach myself moderation. Before, I would bake two dozen cookies, and I would eat them all before my husband came home from work. Now, I can bake two dozen cookies, and all but the two I ate will be there. It's so wonderful to be able to make my mom's peach cobbler and eat it guilt-free. It's empowering to know that I have taught myself how to eat one donut in the morning and not the whole dozen before I drop it off at work.

So yes, I am *advising* because I've been there, I know what y'all deal with, but it is so much better to teach yourself to eat the food and move on.

Editing to add: All that, and I still don't think sugar is toxic, evil, or whatever. Sure we used to be enemies, but now we're BFFs.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options

Great Post.

So I guess when I personally have had multiple people, such as doctors, trainers, a therapist, who knows my full history tell me in similar words "You shouldn't eat cake. It has sugar, which is toxic and addictive and will make you obese." I should tell them they are all wrong? Because I'm going to go with the former.

Now, if you saying that perhaps posters should put a little more explanation then just making one or the other statement, I completely agree.

A doctor, trainer, and therapist is not a dietician and are trying to waaaaay oversimplify.
  • ndj1979
    Options

I'm sorry you feel your information isn't taken seriously, but I for one would much rather listen to someone on here that has proven their knowledge base, rocking body or not.

And that actually proves where we are all different in many ways. Because I myself would rather listen to and have support of those who have had similar struggles as I have and can understand where I am coming from with certain topics. Doesn't make one way any better than the other. It's just the path you choose. Now when it comes to exercises or programs I will want someone that has tried a particular program and had success to give advice. But when it comes to struggles with food, I'd prefer someone who can understand what I'm dealing with and give me insight and different perspectives I may not have.

Once upon a time, I would buy big bags of m&ms, put them in my pantry, and then only have them in there as long as it took me to get off the couch and eat them. Bags of m&ms would be in my belly before the day is done. I tried to eliminate sugar many times, and as soon as I said I couldn't take it anymore, I would go buy more bags of m&ms and eat them until they were all gone.

The most liberating thing I could do was teach myself moderation. Before, I would bake two dozen cookies, and I would eat them all before my husband came home from work. Now, I can bake two dozen cookies, and all but the two I ate will be there. It's so wonderful to be able to make my mom's peach cobbler and eat it guilt-free. It's empowering to know that I have taught myself how to eat one donut in the morning and not the whole dozen before I drop it off at work.

So yes, I am *advising* because I've been there, I know what y'all deal with, but it is so much better to teach yourself to eat the food and move on.

great point..

I used to eat a whole cake by myself or a whole thing of ice cream ...or when I went to the local "philly sub shop" I would get two steak and cheese subs just for me!

I learned through hard work and dedication to moderate what I was eating, and learn to enjoy less of the foods that I like and still lose weight...

last night I had four slices of pizza and two beers...I was a little over on calorie but no big deal, I will be back on track today..

to assume that because one is now fit, that they never had the same struggles as you is a gross misrepresentation ...
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    I'm surprised this hasn't flipped to Kittehs.

And IN for doctors who say sugar is toxic.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

Great Post.

Yes, you should tell they are wrong and prob seek out new doctors, trainers and therapists that don't push nonsense like that.
  • JessG11
    Options

I don't know you're journey, so no I'm not saying you've never struggled with food. I wouldn't make an assumption like that about someone on a internet web site. And I applaud you for getting control over your eating habits and you look great from your profile pic. That is what I myself am attempting to do. One day I hope that I can make 2 dozen cookies and eat one and be satisfied. However, I can't do that at the moment. So part of my approach, which I personally am taking not only a physical, but mental, emotional and spiritual approach to improving my health, is to abstain from having sugar treats period. It's working so far for me. I've been successful. I have lost weight. And do I think that I could lose weight if I stayed within my limits and ate nothing but sweets. For sure. But the other positives to my current choices are beyond the scale. I'm simply saying making lifestyle changes is not a one size fits all approach.

I have to edit to add: This IS how I am teaching MYSELF to have healthier eating habits.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    if you were going to take driving lessons would you take them from a) someone with one speeding violation and no accidents or b0 someone with multiple speeding violations and five or six accidents???

I try to look to people that have had long term success in health and fitness and draw from their knowledge and experience. Does that mean that exactly what they did will work for me? No, of course not; it does however mean that they can provide me with more useful information for to add to what I have already found what works for me. And most people that have had success in health, weight loss, fitness etc, are going to have "rocking bodies" or "athletic bodies" or whatever adjective you want to use to describe it..

I love how you somehow turn around long term success and an athletic body and try to make it an insult...interesting...

Your first mistake is using an apples-to-oranges analogy comparing the infinitely complex world of weight loss and health to something as simple and concrete as driving lessons. Weight loss and health don't only involve simple mechanics and skill. There are myriad layers to the human psyche and emotions at play. This is what folks with your attitude don't understand, and this is why you lack the COMPLETE set of skills needed to help people effectively.

There is an ancient passage that is commonly used at weddings and it goes something like this:

"If I speak in the tongues of men or of angels, but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. If I give all I possess to the poor and give over my body to hardship that I may boast, but do not have love, I gain nothing."

You can have all the long-term success and athleticism and great looks and "expertise" in the world, but if you don't have empathy, listening skills, an understanding of what people who struggle with eating disorders feel and think, and a heart of compassion, then on these boards.....you're nothing but a Derp-spreader. It's that simple. And that's why you get SO much push-back from people on here.

To the 3-4 people we're all thinking of and speaking to here....please be wise to consider this feedback. You could really be a helpful force to many people. Don't blow that chance.

the sage of MFP advice has spoken and we should all take heed and follow her path < that was sarcasm in case your missed it.

Yea, so you totally missed my point, but I guess I will go with a health and fitness related one so that we are all on the same page.

Would you rather take health and fitness advice from an out of shape obese person, or someone that has obviously met their health and fitness goals? For me, I would rather go with the later as they obviously have accomplished their goals and know what they are doing.

And I love how you somehow seem to know what kind of "advice" that I give. Pray tell, have you reviewed my entire positing history??? If not then maybe you should not be so quick to paint with a broad brush ...

You do not have a clue what I or the "others" that you mention give for advice...

LOL so if we are commenting about juice cleanses, sugar detoxes, master cleanses, water fasts, et al and saying that they are "bad" that makes us "derp spreaders"....ok ...take your holier than thou attitude somewhere else...rolling eyez...

You would have a point if the people it worked for understood that just because something worked for them it will not necessarily work for someone else (and I'm not talking the basic principle of eating in a deficit or exercise).
  • JessG11
    Options

Great Post.

Yes, you should tell they are wrong and prob seek out new doctors, trainers and therapists that don't push nonsense like that.

I'll be sure and tell them that a few posters on a fitness website think their experience and degrees are crap and give them your name. Doctors who work with patients who have health issues because of their food choices and a particular therapist who has years of experience with people with eating disorders. haha.....please
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options

I don't think you know what that means, but nonetheless, you are resorting to name-calling.

And who is pushing us back? We're just having a casual discussion about sugar, right? I think you're the only one getting all worked up about it.
  • ndj1979
    Options

You would have a point if the people it worked for understood that just because something worked for them it will not necessarily work for someone else (and I'm not talking the basic principle of eating in a deficit or exercise).

I have said a million times that at the end of the day I do not care what path people go down ..I am here to comment that is all ...as opposed to drivel that you post every day, and then act like you are the "savior" of every thread on MFP.

My only argument - and I am always consistent with this - is that at the end of the day no matter what you do - low carb, keto, IF, IIFYM, etc those are just tools to create a calorie deficit and that is what is causing the weight loss. There are no magical fat burning "diets" just tools to create a calorie deficit and put one on sustainable path.
  • kducky22
    kducky22 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    You would have a point if the people it worked for understood that just because something worked for them it will not necessarily work for someone else (and I'm not talking the basic principle of eating in a deficit or exercise). You guys seem so absolute, sorry life's not like that.

:drinker:
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

Great Post.

I'll be sure and tell them that a few posters on a fitness website think their experience and degrees are crap and give them your name. Doctors who work with patients who have health issues because of their food choices and a particular therapist who has years of experience with people with eating disorders. haha.....please

You're right, such a statement as "You shouldn't eat cake. It has sugar, which is toxic and addictive and will make you obese." is laughable. Water is also toxic and 100% of people who have ingested it, die, shall we avoid water? See when leaving out context as you did in your statement, it is just simple fearmongering. Sugar in and of itself does not make one obese. And are you familiar with appeal to authority?
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    How is sugar a "toxin".

Can your Dr. pass that one along for us at least?