Sugar Detox

Options

Replies

• Hell_Flower
    Hell_Flower Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    What's wrong with fruit? What's wrong with natural sugar?

If your body is shaking/sweating/head aching then this is not the detox "working" and the bad stuff coming out. This is your body telling you something is wrong.

You don't need to "detox", it's a total fallacy. Your liver and kidneys do this naturally. You know how the bad stuff is coming out? Poo and wee.

All you need to do is eat fresh, clean and cut out the crap. And by crap I mean McDonalds, KFC, anything with "added" sugar (including high fructose corn syrup et al), heavily processed rubbish.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

moderate amounts of sugar are not toxic, but too much is.

Yeah? What's the LD50 dose?

That's dependant on a lot of factors.

Best answer I can give is - based on a 75kg adult (and APAP as the source) the LD50 would be between 10 - 20gm.

If we are talking chronic toxicity then 6gm - 16gms.

For Subchronic - I do not know.

However the term toxin does not necessarily mean something is bad or universally harmful.

So 20 grams of sugar is enough to kill half of 75 kg adults.

Thank god I'm one of the lucky half who can eat a slice of cake and not die.

Lol, sorry wrong study - APAP.

Not sure what you're even talking about at this point. Your comment about the LD50 of sugar is a hilarious example of you having absolutely no clue what you're talking about whatsoever. The only question is what bogus source you think you're parroting.
  • Patticake1984
    Options
    I am doing Atkins. The detox from sugar was not that bad. It only lasted a few days. Now I dont even miss it.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    Well sugar isn't toxic so there is no "detox". If one is speaking of sugar "reduction", then just reduce your intake of sugar. As mentioned, you NEED glucose in the body for it to be efficient. And an extreme "no sugar at all" attempt will shock the crap out of someone who consumed a lot of it on a regular basis.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Too much sugar is toxic, which is why we produce insulin to transport it for fuel, muscle / liver storage or to be converted into body fat.

our body's first reaction is to get that *kitten* out of our blood stream as fast as possible (that's just a joke by the way).
    But what's "too much"? I think that too much of any drink or food will eventually jack someone up, but to get to a "toxic" level, it'd have to be pretty extreme.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • gossyozzy
    gossyozzy Posts: 2 Member
    Options

Best answer I can give is - based on a 75kg adult (and APAP as the source) the LD50 would be between 10 - 20gm.

However the term toxin does not necessarily mean something is bad or universally harmful.

I may be displaying my ignorance here as this is not my area of expertise, but I believe the convention is to measure this in (in this case) grams/kg. I understood this to mean that tennisdude's estimate of 20 grams for a 75kg adult would require 1,500 grams of sugar to become lethal for half the population.

Even the low-end chronic estimate would be 450 grams--basically the equivalent of an entire gallon of vanilla ice cream (or I'm getting the wrong kind of ice cream). I realize there are more efficient ways to consume sugar, and I'm not one that particularly struggles with my sugar intake, but this seems almost ridiculously excessive to do in one sitting (often enough to cause chronic problems).

Unless they are trigger foods that cause one to lose control over their eating habits (and if this is the case I would recommend dealing with those issues anyway), I personally see no reason to completely abstain from anything.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options

Not sure what you're even talking about at this point. Your comment about the LD50 of sugar is a hilarious example of you having absolutely no clue what you're talking about whatsoever. The only question is what bogus source you think you're parroting.

I'm not parroting any bogus source, as I have previously said I sited the wrong study. So please ignore.
  • prettygirlstorm1
    prettygirlstorm1 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    Eat real fruit, skip the fruit juice and your body will still detox off the fake stuff and the cravings will stop.You also gotta cut out white grain/bread and pasta. The stuff turns to sugar as soon as you eat it and your body reacts the same. Eat WHOLE grains. It took about 4 days for me and the weight loss process has been so much easier now that the cravings are gone. Good Luck!
    I cut the white stuff out and it has made me feel so much better. I don't have that over stuffed feeling. I also tried the South Beach diet and it gave me headaches as well for the first few days. I drank diet pop which helped a lot with the sugar cravings. Natural sugar is the best way to go!! Good Luck to you
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    Everyone is always blaming the white sugar for all of their problems.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Eat real fruit, skip the fruit juice and your body will still detox off the fake stuff and the cravings will stop.You also gotta cut out white grain/bread and pasta. The stuff turns to sugar as soon as you eat it and your body reacts the same. Eat WHOLE grains. It took about 4 days for me and the weight loss process has been so much easier now that the cravings are gone. Good Luck!
    I cut the white stuff out and it has made me feel so much better. I don't have that over stuffed feeling. I also tried the South Beach diet and it gave me headaches as well for the first few days. I drank diet pop which helped a lot with the sugar cravings. Natural sugar is the best way to go!! Good Luck to you

665-thats-racist.gif
  • Bernadette60614
    Bernadette60614 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Why not do it incrementally? I used to consider jelly beans a food group. I could eat 6 donuts in 30 minutes. I didn't go cold turkey, I cut out sugar one day at a time, till I could eat it once a week (I still eat fruit) and then once a month. Now, I have pastries on holidays and that's it.

Also, what helped me was homemade lemonade: Lemon juice (the kind in a bottle works just fine), some stevia, which is a natural no calorie sweetener. There is something about that combination of tart and sweet that just seemed to calm everything. I still drink about 64 oz of this a day now.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I've been on a no sugar/carb diet for almost 2 months now. I'm so used to not eating any breads or grains that it doesn't even cross my mind. I'm only having trouble with craving cake...but I'm able to stay away. I cook some treats using coconut flour or almond flour and sweeten with stevia. Which has worked out great. Also I still eat berries (just limit how much per day) and maybe treat my self to a pear or banana very rarely.

so all you eat is meat?

no pasta, bread vegetables, fruit, etc...
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I've been on a no sugar/carb diet for almost 2 months now. I'm so used to not eating any breads or grains that it doesn't even cross my mind. I'm only having trouble with craving cake...but I'm able to stay away. I cook some treats using coconut flour or almond flour and sweeten with stevia. Which has worked out great. Also I still eat berries (just limit how much per day) and maybe treat my self to a pear or banana very rarely.

so all you eat is meat?

re-read, or read, what you quoted. The answer is within.
  • jonnythan
    Options

so all you eat is meat?

re-read, or read, what you quoted. The answer is within.

Except it's not. Almond and coconut flour contain carbs. Berries and bananas contain tons of sugar. So.... "no sugar/carb diet"? Not so much.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    The same is true of vitamins.

Let's all do a vitamin detox too.
  • Brandolin11
    Brandolin11 Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    Dude, Try not to make blanket statements with out telling us why YOU think someone else's comment is wrong...

+1,000,000,000

Thank you! Seriously - the one-liner smack downs are *the* most annoying parts about these threads. Sometimes I think people are just trying to rack up comment tallies on their profile. It's so juvenile.
  • randujo
    randujo Posts: 1
    Options
    I am not convinced that “Sugar Detox” is necessary, but the concern about high sugar consumption (in any form) is very real as the average American sugar consumption is estimated between 70 and 150 pounds a year. I would suggest that you go see your doctor, tell him or her about what you’re feeling and your Sugar Detox plan, and go from there. Consult with a Dietician as well to get the lowdown on Sugars.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Dude, Try not to make blanket statements with out telling us why YOU think someone else's comment is wrong...

+1,000,000,000

Thank you! Seriously - the one-liner smack downs are *the* most annoying parts about these threads. Sometimes I think people are just trying to rack up comment tallies on their profile. It's so juvenile.

Are you one of the people he was referring to that is diabetic and has insulin resistance? I hardly think it's necessary to add "unless you have a medical condition" after every statement we say. But when someone says they detoxed from sugar by eating fruit every once in a while, it is a contradiction (even if you could detox from sugar). Surely, you could see how comments like that are wrong.
  • Brandolin11
    Options
    Can we just wrap this up? haha :D

1.) Sugar in all of its forms, as with everything else, is fine for you in moderation.

2.) Some people have trouble with eating too much sugar in processed foods, baked goods, etc. They feel out of control with it. They know this about themselves, and they want to fix this problem.

3.) Some people simply do not have trouble with eating too much sugar in processed foods, baked goods, etc. Yay for them.

4.) For those who do have a problem being controlled with sugary treats, they may find it beneficial to abstain from those particular sugary foods that trigger them for a time (and if they want to call that a "detox", who gives a flying f-ck??), and then slowly reintroduce them back into their diet if they can keep at it in moderation. They may find they can do this for life, and keep their sanity.

5.) For those who try moderation but continue to get out of control no matter how they try, they may want to consider abstaining permanently from those particular sugary foods which trigger them, in order to keep their sanity.

6.) For those who do not have trouble with sugary treats and feel no one else should either and who feel people are soooo stupid for actually believing sugar can be a problem sometimes and so we're going to make them feel like idiots for thinking that and blah blah blah.........respectfully.........SHUT UP!!! lol

Good? Good. ;)
  • Brandolin11
    Options

+1,000,000,000

Are you one of the people he was referring to that is diabetic and has insulin resistance? I hardly think it's necessary to add "unless you have a medical condition" after every statement we say. But when someone says they detoxed from sugar by eating fruit every once in a while, it is a contradiction (even if you could detox from sugar). Surely, you could see how comments like that are wrong.

No, I am not. Thanks.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    Can we just wrap this up? haha :D

1.) Sugar in all of its forms, as with everything else, is fine for you in moderation.

2.) Some people have trouble with eating too much sugar in processed foods, baked goods, etc. They feel out of control with it. They know this about themselves, and they want to fix this problem.

3.) Some people simply do not have trouble with eating too much sugar in processed foods, baked goods, etc. Yay for them.

4.) For those who do have a problem being controlled with sugary treats, they may find it beneficial to abstain from those particular sugary foods that trigger them for a time (and if they want to call that a "detox", who gives a flying f-ck??), and then slowly reintroduce them back into their diet if they can keep at it in moderation. They may find they can do this for life, and keep their sanity.

5.) For those who try moderation but continue to get out of control no matter how they try, they may want to consider abstaining permanently from those particular sugary foods which trigger them, in order to keep their sanity.

6.) For those who do not have trouble with sugary treats and feel no one else should either and who feel people are soooo stupid for actually believing sugar can be a problem sometimes and so we're going to make them feel like idiots for thinking that and blah blah blah.........respectfully.........SHUT UP!!! lol

Good? Good. ;)

0) It's generally not "sugar" thatpeople have a problem with, but with a particular hyperpalatable combination of fat and sugar. Pretty much no one binges on apples or granulated white sugar. They binge on cake, donuts, twinkies, etc.