Sugar Detox

Options

Replies

• Brandolin11
    Brandolin11 Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    Can we just wrap this up? haha :D

1.) Sugar in all of its forms, as with everything else, is fine for you in moderation.

2.) Some people have trouble with eating too much sugar in processed foods, baked goods, etc. They feel out of control with it. They know this about themselves, and they want to fix this problem.

3.) Some people simply do not have trouble with eating too much sugar in processed foods, baked goods, etc. Yay for them.

4.) For those who do have a problem being controlled with sugary treats, they may find it beneficial to abstain from those particular sugary foods that trigger them for a time (and if they want to call that a "detox", who gives a flying f-ck??), and then slowly reintroduce them back into their diet if they can keep at it in moderation. They may find they can do this for life, and keep their sanity.

5.) For those who try moderation but continue to get out of control no matter how they try, they may want to consider abstaining permanently from those particular sugary foods which trigger them, in order to keep their sanity.

6.) For those who do not have trouble with sugary treats and feel no one else should either and who feel people are soooo stupid for actually believing sugar can be a problem sometimes and so we're going to make them feel like idiots for thinking that and blah blah blah.........respectfully.........SHUT UP!!! lol

Good? Good. ;)

0) It's generally not "sugar" thatpeople have a problem with, but with a particular hyperpalatable combination of fat and sugar. Pretty much no one binges on apples or granulated white sugar. They binge on cake, donuts, twinkies, etc.

**forehead slap**
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

1.) Sugar in all of its forms, as with everything else, is fine for you in moderation.

2.) Some people have trouble with eating too much sugar in processed foods, baked goods, etc. They feel out of control with it. They know this about themselves, and they want to fix this problem.

3.) Some people simply do not have trouble with eating too much sugar in processed foods, baked goods, etc. Yay for them.

4.) For those who do have a problem being controlled with sugary treats, they may find it beneficial to abstain from those particular sugary foods that trigger them for a time (and if they want to call that a "detox", who gives a flying f-ck??), and then slowly reintroduce them back into their diet if they can keep at it in moderation. They may find they can do this for life, and keep their sanity.

5.) For those who try moderation but continue to get out of control no matter how they try, they may want to consider abstaining permanently from those particular sugary foods which trigger them, in order to keep their sanity.

6.) For those who do not have trouble with sugary treats and feel no one else should either and who feel people are soooo stupid for actually believing sugar can be a problem sometimes and so we're going to make them feel like idiots for thinking that and blah blah blah.........respectfully.........SHUT UP!!! lol

Good? Good. ;)

0) It's generally not "sugar" thatpeople have a problem with, but with a particular hyperpalatable combination of fat and sugar. Pretty much no one binges on apples or granulated white sugar. They binge on cake, donuts, twinkies, etc.

**forehead slap**

Problem?
  • SaraBLydia
    Options
    SInce you're experiencing withdrawal symptoms, I wouldn't cut sugar out cold turkey. Your body is used to getting a certain amount of sugar - if you want to sugar detox, do it slowly and slowly replace refined sugar cravings with natural sugars like from fruit.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    SInce you're experiencing withdrawal symptoms, I wouldn't cut sugar out cold turkey. Your body is used to getting a certain amount of sugar - if you want to sugar detox, do it slowly and slowly replace refined sugar cravings with natural sugars like from fruit.

How would swapping sugar for sugar be any sort of detox?
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options

Good? Good. ;)

**forehead slap**

Problem?

I'm curious for an explanation too.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options

Good? Good. ;)

The dreaded 50/50 combo!!
  • MelRC117
    MelRC117 Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    To all the people who mocked my earlier post. It must be so nice to be able to eat things in 'moderation' and mock others for not being able to control their diets. As someone else earlier said, I can't just have a piece of cake, I have to eat the whole thing. I can't just eat one penguin biscuit, I have to have the entire pack. In one day, I ate an entire packet of maryland cookies, an entire packet of cadbury's fingers, and an entire family sized profiterole gateau.

The only way I can stop binging on sugar, is to just cut it out. As soon as I have a tiny piece of chocolate, or a boiled sweet, then I just want to eat the entire thing. I've tried moderation, and in the past 2 months I've put on 16lbs. Thank you for your mockery.

This used to be me but since I cut out almost all refined sugar from my diet I don't crave the sweet stuff hardly at all. Moderation works well for some people but judging by all the treads that pop up from time to time about bingeing it clearly doesn't work for everyone. Moderation only works for foods that aren't triggers. I definately like my sugar better when there is fat involved such as in chocolate, cake and dairy. Sugary lollies don't do it for me at all. By "detoxing" from sugar, you will eventually get to that place where it is not as much of a trigger as it used to be, just stick at it and ignore the mockers and haters because they don't matter.

I typically eat low carb. i also have a hard time with moderation so its better for me to not eat the sweets or whatever at all. But its not because I have "poisoned" myself with "toxic" sugar, its because I don't have self control. Own up to it. You have to admit at some point "Gee, that cake looks good." That's a lie if you claim you never do and you're only trying to kid yourself. Fruit is also a sugar...doesn't matter if your sugar is from an apple or a slice of cake...SUGAR IS SUGAR. Stop with the "natural", stop with the "unprocessed"....ITS THE SAME.DARN.THING.
  • Parimositabloo
    Parimositabloo Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I'm trying right now and before I started I researched several studies and they recommended 2 tbsp of coconut oil a day. So what I did is I mixed half a pound of coconut oil with sugar free baker cocoa powder. It tastes like a dark chocolate almond joy and I haven't had any detox symptoms :smile: And i get my antioxidants from cocoa and my coconut oil and a sweet treat all in one great tasting package!
  • JessG11
    JessG11 Posts: 345 Member
    Options

Good? Good. ;)

**forehead slap**

Problem?

I'm curious for an explanation too.

She uses the words sugary treats...I don't really look at an apple as a sugary treat. I look at the ENTIRE bag of Reese Peanut Butter Cups as a sugary treat. Pretty sure this is the point.

Another point that was made in the first post that I'll clap at here: why is it such a world stopper to some people if others choose to not have certain things in their diets? I'm curious for an explanation about that?
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Another point that was mad in the first post that I'll clap at here: why is it such a world stopper to some people if others choose to not have certain things in their diets? I'm curious for an explanation about that?

Because one of the things we see over and over and over again on MFP is people cutting specific foods or ingredients that they love out of their diets, doing fine for a while ("I feel great!") then eventually giving in and binging on that food or ingredient.

Example: someone cuts sugar out of diet. A month later they've lost 10 lbs and feel great. Another month and they go to a birthday party. Their willpower gives out and they have a slice of cake. They immediately feel like they failed their diet. They feel guilty over a single slice of cake after two months of being "good." They think "I've already screwed up, I'll have another and then be good again tomorrow." End up eating like five slices. Their diet is over and they gain the weight back because they fall right back into old eating patterns.

The better way is to learn new, healthier eating patterns that don't demonize any particular food or nutrient. Learning how to enjoy a slice of cake every now and then and that it's OK teaches you how to eat for life, not how to feel like a guilty failure for eating a cookie.
  • Ninochka77
    Options
    To all the people who mocked my earlier post. It must be so nice to be able to eat things in 'moderation' and mock others for not being able to control their diets. As someone else earlier said, I can't just have a piece of cake, I have to eat the whole thing. I can't just eat one penguin biscuit, I have to have the entire pack. In one day, I ate an entire packet of maryland cookies, an entire packet of cadbury's fingers, and an entire family sized profiterole gateau.

The only way I can stop binging on sugar, is to just cut it out. As soon as I have a tiny piece of chocolate, or a boiled sweet, then I just want to eat the entire thing. I've tried moderation, and in the past 2 months I've put on 16lbs. Thank you for your mockery.

Reading all this, I can kind of understand why you'd be feeling like people are mocking your post, but the ones telling you that sugar is not evil (myself included), were really trying to help you - believe it or not.

Cake, penguin biscuit, cookies, profiteroles etc are not just sugar - it's flour, and cream, and chocolate, and many more high-calorie ingredients. I totally understand that it's hard to limit those foods to just one serving, but it's not just the sugar that's the problem, it's everything combined that ends up being a tasty food. For you it's sweets, for others it's fried food and breads and salty foods - you name it.

I'm really not picking on you, I was trying to help. I was a fat kid, I'm still working on losing the weight i gained during pregnancy, and i totally understand what it's like to be overweight and bullied for it. That being said, I was trying to stop you from one day realizing that sugar, or any other, 'detox' is not a long-term solution for weight loss. For me, it's eating less. But that's just for me, and for a few other people.
    Whatever you decide to do, I wish you the best of luck. No sarcasm or mockery here, just best wishes :-)
  • JessG11
    Options
    Another point that was mad in the first post that I'll clap at here: why is it such a world stopper to some people if others choose to not have certain things in their diets? I'm curious for an explanation about that?

Because one of the things we see over and over and over again on MFP is people cutting specific foods or ingredients that they love out of their diets, doing fine for a while ("I feel great!") then eventually giving in and binging on that food or ingredient.

Example: someone cuts sugar out of diet. A month later they've lost 10 lbs and feel great. Another month and they go to a birthday party. Their willpower gives out and they have a slice of cake. They immediately feel like they failed their diet. They feel guilty over a single slice of cake after two months of being "good." They think "I've already screwed up, I'll have another and then be good again tomorrow." End up eating like five slices. Their diet is over and they gain the weight back because they fall right back into old eating patterns.

The better way is to learn new, healthier eating patterns that don't demonize any particular food or nutrient. Learning how to enjoy a slice of cake every now and then and that it's OK teaches you how to eat for life, not how to feel like a guilty failure for eating a cookie.

I don't feel like a failure when I eat a cookie. I feel like a failure when I go into the kitchen at 8:30 on a work night, make a batch of cookies, and proceed to eat almost all of them because I HAVE to have them and won't stop obsessing over them until they are gone. When the day comes that I can eat a piece of cake and leave it at that I'll do cart wheels. And I'll be able to do cartwheels because I won't be 100 pounds overweight. I'm here because I already have an unhealthy relationship with sweets/food. So please explain why it is so bad that while I learn to replace cookies/sugary treats with fruit instead so that I can work on the things that are causing me to binge sugary treats like that, is such a negative thing?

So so many people do restrictive diets and then fail...believe me folks, I've done many diets, I'm well aware of what has caused myself to fail in the past. My failures, as I would expect many others, are from a lengthy list of reasons. People say the Atkins diet doesn't work, yet people are successful and remain successful all the time, people say WW doesn't work, Nutrisystem, Shake replacements, etc and yet I see people who get weight off with using these programs to learn how to eat healthier and keep it off.

I haven't failed diets because I restricted myself. I have failed in the past because I wasn't honest with myself about the real issues I have with food, stress, and eating. We don't all fit into the same box.
  • kducky22
    kducky22 Posts: 276 Member
    Options

Good? Good. ;)

Just read all 9 pages of this thread and this is by far my favorite post!

I've noticed... in reading through threads and such, some people really dislike it when other members try different methods than they do to loose weight. Not everyone is perfect and have their ish together.. I'm certainly not perfect. I know what my weak spots are (CHIPS!) So I know that I just can't buy chips... if I do, I'll eat them all in one sitting. It's just like sugary sweets. If OP buys a bag of M&M's she will eat them all. She's attempting to find a way to reduce that desire. I'm not sure why everyone is getting into the nitty gritty (talking about veggies having small traces of sugar, or how much sugar will make you OD). Like clearly this is not what the OP was talking about..

But to help the OP, I get the same feelings when I tried to cut out caffeine (head-aches, a little jittery, can't focus well). But usually after a couple days your body adjusts and you regain normalcy. My New Years resolution was diet soda and it was CRAZY hard at first, but I got used to it after about a week.
  • JessG11
    Options
    And I'll add one more thing: I restricted cigarettes for myself years ago because I couldn't just smoke one without smoking the entire pack and I'm around them often and have no issues with not smoking. I also began to restrict diet coke because I wanted to drink about 4 liters a day and replaced them with seltzer water and as of now, I can go a long length of time without a diet coke, have one and be fine with just the one. That is what I'm trying to do with sweet treats. But I personally don't have the same issue with other carbs. I can eat a proper serving of brown rice and be satisfied or eat one orange and not want the entire bag.
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    Anyone else start with trying to detox your body from sugar? I am starting day three of detox and I am suffering headaches, shaking hands, crankiness and generally want to curl up in a corner and make the world go away.

I did first two days strict, not even fruit or juices but I woke up this morning and couldn't handle it so I drank 8oz of fresh orange juice. I am feeling a little better now, but I was hoping I wouldn't have to do that.

I guess I am just rambling, but I would love to find others in this situation.

I can understand cutting out added and processed sugar ( I do it because I have RA and Lupus and certain sugars encourage inflammation processes ), but also cutting out the sugar that occurs naturally in fruit and vegetables ( like carrots and beets for example ) makes , with all due respect, absolutely no sense to me, because the human body needs sugar ( admittedly by far not as much as many people ingest ) to function properly.
  • Brandolin11
    Brandolin11 Posts: 492 Member
    Options

See, *now* you're getting closer to some advice that actually helps people. ;) This would be a MUCH better thing to say to the people struggling with being hooked on sugary stuff, as opposed to the general mocking tones and the "why would you think that (you moron)???'s" and one-line smack-downs.

What you just said there is great advice for people who can moderate with sugary treats. Taking some of the stigma out of the mis-diagnosed "evil foods" can free people to get rid of some of the guilt, and thus the craving to binge on them.

But as I've said on previous pages of this thread, there is another category of person who CANNOT moderate, so this advice would be very bad for them. It would be similar to telling an alcoholic they should just drink their whiskey in a shot glass instead of a tumbler. These people are always overlooked in these conversations, or told they sound like "they're in a cult" - to quote a previous poster.

Some of us have learned, after years and years of experimentation, that when it comes to certain foods there is no such thing as moderation. One cookie will lead to five cookies...or more. We are intelligent people. We are good parents. We are leaders in our workforce. We are disciplined in many areas of our lives...but when it comes to certain foods we are powerless. We do not need to learn to moderate. We need to abstain.

And that's okay.

What I'd LOVE to see on these threads, is less "you're doing it wrong you freakin' idiot" type attitudes, and more "let's empathize with your pain, get to the root of what you're really trying to accomplish, and figure out which method is best for you: moderation or abstinence".

Y'know - HELPING the person instead of frustrating them with these "mightier than thou" attitudes? Is it possible for some of y'all to do that? And I'm speaking specifically to the scant 3-4 of you who come on these boards with your 10,000 posts and dump your one-liners on everyone (does anyone else notice this - that it's just a couple people making it frustrating for the other 99% who are struggling and asking for help??). Can you?
  • 143tobe
    143tobe Posts: 620 Member
    Options

See, *now* you're getting closer to some advice that actually helps people. ;) This would be a MUCH better thing to say to the people struggling with being hooked on sugary stuff, as opposed to the general mocking tones and the "why would you think that (you moron)???'s" and one-line smack-downs.

What you just said there is great advice for people who can moderate with sugary treats. Taking some of the stigma out of the mis-diagnosed "evil foods" can free people to get rid of some of the guilt, and thus the craving to binge on them.

But as I've said on previous pages of this thread, there is another category of person who CANNOT moderate, so this advice would be very bad for them. It would be similar to telling an alcoholic they should just drink their whiskey in a shot glass instead of a tumbler. These people are always overlooked in these conversations, or told they sound like "they're in a cult" - to quote a previous poster.

Some of us have learned, after years and years of experimentation, that when it comes to certain foods there is no such thing as moderation. One cookie will lead to five cookies...or more. We are intelligent people. We are good parents. We are leaders in our workforce. We are disciplined in many areas of our lives...but when it comes to certain foods we are powerless. We do not need to learn to moderate. We need to abstain.

And that's okay.

What I'd LOVE to see on these threads, is less "you're doing it wrong you freakin' idiot" type attitudes, and more "let's empathize with your pain, get to the root of what you're really trying to accomplish, and figure out which method is best for you: moderation or abstinence".

Y'know - HELPING the person instead of frustrating them with these "mightier than thou" attitudes? Is it possible for some of y'all to do that? And I'm speaking specifically to the scant 3-4 of you who come on these boards with your 10,000 posts and dump your one-liners on everyone (does anyone else notice this - that it's just a couple people making it frustrating for the other 99% who are struggling and asking for help??). Can you?

What she said ^
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options

And that's okay.

Gee, thanks so much for the lecture. :noway:
  • jrose1982
    jrose1982 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I managed to get through a detox by allowing one serving of fruit each day. I found I needed 1/2 in the morning, and 1/2 in the afternoon.

That said, I don't think you can detox without a lot of suffering. So clear as many responsibilities from your shoulders as you possibly can for the next week or two. Get plenty of rest. Drink lots and lots of water. And then drink some more.
    And just take it one day at a time. During my detox I didn't worry about exercising, or what else I was eating. Although, in retrospect, I was eating a lot of vegetables so that might have helped as well.

Good luck!