Sugar Detox

Options

Replies

• jrose1982
    jrose1982 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Another point that was mad in the first post that I'll clap at here: why is it such a world stopper to some people if others choose to not have certain things in their diets? I'm curious for an explanation about that?

Because one of the things we see over and over and over again on MFP is people cutting specific foods or ingredients that they love out of their diets, doing fine for a while ("I feel great!") then eventually giving in and binging on that food or ingredient.

Example: someone cuts sugar out of diet. A month later they've lost 10 lbs and feel great. Another month and they go to a birthday party. Their willpower gives out and they have a slice of cake. They immediately feel like they failed their diet. They feel guilty over a single slice of cake after two months of being "good." They think "I've already screwed up, I'll have another and then be good again tomorrow." End up eating like five slices. Their diet is over and they gain the weight back because they fall right back into old eating patterns.

The better way is to learn new, healthier eating patterns that don't demonize any particular food or nutrient. Learning how to enjoy a slice of cake every now and then and that it's OK teaches you how to eat for life, not how to feel like a guilty failure for eating a cookie.

See, *now* you're getting closer to some advice that actually helps people. ;) This would be a MUCH better thing to say to the people struggling with being hooked on sugary stuff, as opposed to the general mocking tones and the "why would you think that (you moron)???'s" and one-line smack-downs.

What you just said there is great advice for people who can moderate with sugary treats. Taking some of the stigma out of the mis-diagnosed "evil foods" can free people to get rid of some of the guilt, and thus the craving to binge on them.

But as I've said on previous pages of this thread, there is another category of person who CANNOT moderate, so this advice would be very bad for them. It would be similar to telling an alcoholic they should just drink their whiskey in a shot glass instead of a tumbler. These people are always overlooked in these conversations, or told they sound like "they're in a cult" - to quote a previous poster.

Some of us have learned, after years and years of experimentation, that when it comes to certain foods there is no such thing as moderation. One cookie will lead to five cookies...or more. We are intelligent people. We are good parents. We are leaders in our workforce. We are disciplined in many areas of our lives...but when it comes to certain foods we are powerless. We do not need to learn to moderate. We need to abstain.

And that's okay.

What I'd LOVE to see on these threads, is less "you're doing it wrong you freakin' idiot" type attitudes, and more "let's empathize with your pain, get to the root of what you're really trying to accomplish, and figure out which method is best for you: moderation or abstinence".

Y'know - HELPING the person instead of frustrating them with these "mightier than thou" attitudes? Is it possible for some of y'all to do that? And I'm speaking specifically to the scant 3-4 of you who come on these boards with your 10,000 posts and dump your one-liners on everyone (does anyone else notice this - that it's just a couple people making it frustrating for the other 99% who are struggling and asking for help??). Can you?

Gee, thanks so much for the lecture. :noway:

Looks like good advice to me.

Edit: What I'd like to see more of on these threads is people who haven't tried what the OP is asking about to simply stay the hell out of it. If you haven't tried it, and you don't understand why anybody would, then you're input is worthless. If you tried and found flaws in the plan, then share your personal experience. Otherwise, it's like me going to the weight gain section and criticizing people for wanting to gain weight. It's entirely counterproductive.
  • JessG11
    JessG11 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Another point that was mad in the first post that I'll clap at here: why is it such a world stopper to some people if others choose to not have certain things in their diets? I'm curious for an explanation about that?

Because one of the things we see over and over and over again on MFP is people cutting specific foods or ingredients that they love out of their diets, doing fine for a while ("I feel great!") then eventually giving in and binging on that food or ingredient.

Example: someone cuts sugar out of diet. A month later they've lost 10 lbs and feel great. Another month and they go to a birthday party. Their willpower gives out and they have a slice of cake. They immediately feel like they failed their diet. They feel guilty over a single slice of cake after two months of being "good." They think "I've already screwed up, I'll have another and then be good again tomorrow." End up eating like five slices. Their diet is over and they gain the weight back because they fall right back into old eating patterns.

The better way is to learn new, healthier eating patterns that don't demonize any particular food or nutrient. Learning how to enjoy a slice of cake every now and then and that it's OK teaches you how to eat for life, not how to feel like a guilty failure for eating a cookie.

See, *now* you're getting closer to some advice that actually helps people. ;) This would be a MUCH better thing to say to the people struggling with being hooked on sugary stuff, as opposed to the general mocking tones and the "why would you think that (you moron)???'s" and one-line smack-downs.

What you just said there is great advice for people who can moderate with sugary treats. Taking some of the stigma out of the mis-diagnosed "evil foods" can free people to get rid of some of the guilt, and thus the craving to binge on them.

But as I've said on previous pages of this thread, there is another category of person who CANNOT moderate, so this advice would be very bad for them. It would be similar to telling an alcoholic they should just drink their whiskey in a shot glass instead of a tumbler. These people are always overlooked in these conversations, or told they sound like "they're in a cult" - to quote a previous poster.

Some of us have learned, after years and years of experimentation, that when it comes to certain foods there is no such thing as moderation. One cookie will lead to five cookies...or more. We are intelligent people. We are good parents. We are leaders in our workforce. We are disciplined in many areas of our lives...but when it comes to certain foods we are powerless. We do not need to learn to moderate. We need to abstain.

And that's okay.

What I'd LOVE to see on these threads, is less "you're doing it wrong you freakin' idiot" type attitudes, and more "let's empathize with your pain, get to the root of what you're really trying to accomplish, and figure out which method is best for you: moderation or abstinence".

Y'know - HELPING the person instead of frustrating them with these "mightier than thou" attitudes? Is it possible for some of y'all to do that? And I'm speaking specifically to the scant 3-4 of you who come on these boards with your 10,000 posts and dump your one-liners on everyone (does anyone else notice this - that it's just a couple people making it frustrating for the other 99% who are struggling and asking for help??). Can you?

Edit: What I'd like to see more of on these threads is people who haven't tried what the OP is asking about to simply stay the hell out of it. If you haven't tried it, and you don't understand why anybody would, then you're input is worthless. If you tried and found flaws in the plan, then share your personal experience. Otherwise, it's like me going to the weight gain section and criticizing people for wanting to gain weight. It's entirely counterproductive.

Exactly. And I don't see it as a lecture. I see it as a person who has attempted more than once on this particular thread to explain why not everything works the same for everyone.
  • Brandolin11
    Brandolin11 Posts: 492 Member
    Options

You just demonstrated beautifully what I'm talking about. Folks with your attitude do not listen. You do not hear. You close your heart and your mind into a narrow box that serves yourself. You do not truly care to help anyone. So why are you here?

I just gave you some extremely valuable insight into the minds of hundreds of people here who are looking for help. But instead of taking it in as feedback you get defensive. This is immature.

To quote a MFP friend of mine, "I feel sad that these people cannot reflect on some of the threads they love to derail and take onboard that some people are different. Diversity and anecdotal experiences enrich communities, but some control freaks prefer to belittle personal journeys and self-development. Lack of consideration for others is a serious personality flaw, empathy makes us strong."

I agree. And if you consider this a lecture...then you're welcome.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    Well said!
  • jrose1982
    Options

I'm one of those people that cuts our entire food groups, and I've never responded this way. For one thing, eating 5 slices doesn't necessarily end the diet. It CAN send you back to square 1 of the sugar detox, but I digress.

Here's what I usually experience:
    "Hmm, one slice won't hurt...."
    "WHOA! That's good. I need some more. No I don't. Yes I do. No I don't. YES I DO. Calm down drink some water. Water is good. Water is good. But water is not sugar. Sugar, sugar, sugar. Yummy, yummy, yummy. WHERE'S THE DAMN SUGAR!!!! I NEED SUGAR NOW! SUGAR! SUGAR! SUGAR!"
    Followed, a couple hours later with a headache, loss of focus and "Will somebody please kill me now?".

If that's not a good enough reason to cut out sugar, I don't know what is.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

^ this…

I will also add that others that are newer to dieting come in these threads and then want to emulate said behavior because they are bombarded with "sugar is the devil" messages and then they read something like this where someone says "I cut out all sugar and lost 10 pounds and feel great"….well yea, you could of done that with a 500 calorie deficit and kept eating sugar and the foods you like….

so some of us feel the need to attempt to correct the record…

and the verbal gymnastics that the sugar detoxers use to justify avoiding "added sugar" while continuing to eat "fruit and honey sugar" are amusing...
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options

^ this…

I will also add that others that are newer to dieting come in these threads and then want to emulate said behavior because they are bombarded with "sugar is the devil" messages and then they read something like this where someone says "I cut out all sugar and lost 10 pounds and feel great"….well yea, you could of done that with a 500 calorie deficit and kept eating sugar and the foods you like….

and the verbal gymnastics that the sugar detoxers use to justify avoiding "added sugar" while continuing to eat "fruit and honey sugar" are amusing...

If someone wants to try something different to see if they get a different result, why try to stop them.

So someone cuts back on sugar for a month and see's no benefit then goes back on sugar and try's a different approach, what's the big deal with that.

But here's the thing if 100 people try it and it works for just 1, for that month of giving it a go isn't it worth it?

What is everyone scared of.

Cutting back on sugar or any food group clearly works for many people, as does eating in moderation, why not let people make their own choices.

Cutting back on sugar is not unhealthy, it won't kill anyone and certainly will not have any negative effect on people.

I really cannot understand yours and others stand point on this.
  • jrose1982
    Options

^ this…

So amuse away. Sit at your computer and laugh, it doesn't require any typing.

As for "correcting the record": It's one thing to say "that doesn't necessarily work for everybody for these reasons...". It's entirely different to say "you're doing it wrong" when you know next to nothing about the person you're talking to, what kind of metabolism they have, what diets they've already tried, what kind of research they've done, etc.

And no, some of us can't do a 500 calorie deficit and keep eating sugar because sugar makes us feel hungry.
    There's been study after study that proves this, it's in the very foundation of the whole low-carb concept. Sugar is one of three things that just about every diet I've ever read agrees on (the other two being water and vegetables): they all say to either moderate or avoid sugar. That comes down to personality issue. Some people are good at moderating. Others are better at avoiding.

It's the criticism that's screws up these threads. As for people getting the wrong idea, they are just going to have to start asking questions and doing their own independent research. Anybody that relies solely on public forums for health advice is going to fail. Nothing anybody can do about that. I've noticed 3 useful responses on the forums: Providing support; sharing personal experience; answering specific technical questions (with sources). Criticism from strangers never helps anybody.

Most people do lots of outside research before deciding what kind of diet is most likely to work. But we all target our research to our own needs. To assume that what I learned about my needs is going to 100% apply to what you need is pure ignorance (and vice versa).
  • Tigg_er
    Tigg_er Posts: 22,001 Member
    Options

You just demonstrated beautifully what I'm talking about. Folks with your attitude do not listen. You do not hear. You close your heart and your mind into a narrow box that serves yourself. You do not truly care to help anyone. So why are you here?

I just gave you some extremely valuable insight into the minds of hundreds of people here who are looking for help. But instead of taking it in as feedback you get defensive. This is immature.

To quote a MFP friend of mine, "I feel sad that these people cannot reflect on some of the threads they love to derail and take onboard that some people are different. Diversity and anecdotal experiences enrich communities, but some control freaks prefer to belittle personal journeys and self-development. Lack of consideration for others is a serious personality flaw, empathy makes us strong."

I agree. And if you consider this a lecture...then you're welcome.

+2
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options

And that's okay.

Nobody here has actually *tried* to detox from sugar because there's no such thing. Most people commenting on here about how useless it is to cut out sugar have successful weight loss stories. I wouldn't be so quick to discredit their advice as you are.

If you were successful at gaining weight (i.e. bulking), then by all means, go in that forum and criticize someone who is doing it wrong.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options

Nobody here has actually *tried* to detox from sugar because there's no such thing.
    /thread
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Options

And that's okay.

You act like no one here saying "sugar is not a toxin" knows what struggle and temptation is like.

It's a public forum, anybody can say what they want within the Terms and Conditions. If you think it's being said with a "mightier than thou" attitude and that bothers you, well, there's not much anybody can do about that.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Options

And that's okay.

Exactly. And I don't see it as a lecture. I see it as a person who has attempted more than once on this particular thread to explain why not everything works the same for everyone.

There's nothing wrong with taking trigger foods out of the equation. It's the suggestion to "detox" and cut out food groups that bothers.
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    I don't care how any individual decides to eat. I do care about the proliferation of bad information. Sugar is not bad in any way. If you want to cut sugar out of your diet, cool, but if you post about it on the public forums I am sure to come in and say that it isn't necessary and if you use the word detox, I am gonna really step it up. Because I am scared of something? No. Because I am a meanie? No. It's because someone may read it and think it is a bona fide weight loss method. It isn't.
  • KaysKidz
    KaysKidz Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    look up the twinkie diet…

guy lost like 27 pounds and had better cholesterol markers….

Making poor choices when it comes to eating, regardless of being at a deficit, will eventually catch up to you. Some of us are trying to prevent a heart attack or other catastrophy from years of bad choices, in addition to lose weight. You go right ahead shoveling your Twinkies in. It will eventualy catch up to you. Up until 3 weeks ago, my labs looked great too, even at my weight.

Then life throws you a curveball. I now choose to get my calories and sugar from more natural food. Seems there are quite a few of us who feel similar.
  • prattiger65
    Options

Making poor choices when it comes to eating, regardless of being at a deficit, will eventually catch up to you. Some of us are trying to prevent a heart attack or other catastrophy from years of bad choices, in addition to lose weight. You go right ahead shoveling your Twinkies in. It will eventualy catch up to you. Up until 3 weeks ago, my labs looked great too, even at my weight.

Then life throws you a curveball. I choose to get my calories and sugar from more natural food. Seems there are quite a few of us who feel similar.

Certainly where you get your calories and sugar from is a personal thing. However, if you are inferring that just because someone eats Twinkies or whatever snack, that it is unhealthy, that is wrong. As long as you meet macro numbers, you will be fine. Or are you suggesting that the sugar in the Twinkie is somehow going to make someone unhealthy?
  • KaysKidz
    KaysKidz Posts: 208 Member
    Options

Then life throws you a curveball. I choose to get my calories and sugar from more natural food. Seems there are quite a few of us who feel similar.

Certainly where you get your calories and sugar from is a personal thing. However, if you are inferring that just because someone eats Twinkies or whatever snack, that it is unhealthy, that is wrong. As long as you meet macro numbers, you will be fine. Or are you suggesting that the sugar in the Twinkie is somehow going to make someone unhealthy?

Eating one is not going to cause harm, no. But box after box? Yeah, I am going to say it is unhealthy. I think whoever compared it to an alcoholic hit the nail on the head. For many people, food is their drug. Some food groups more than others. You wouldn't tell an alcoholic to have 1 beer and expect them to be OK with it. Why tell someone who is addicted to sweets and trying to give it up to just have 1 cupcake. In a perfect world, everybody should have a healthy relationship with food. But we all know that we don't live in a perfect world.
  • prattiger65
    Options

Eating one is not going to cause harm, no. But box after box? Yeah, I am going to say it is unhealthy. I think whoever compared it to an alcoholic hit the nail on the head. For many people, food is their drug. Some food groups more than others. You wouldn't tell an alcoholic to have 1 beer and expect them to be OK with it. Why tell someone who is addicted to sweets and trying to give it up to just have 1 cupcake. In a perfect world, everybody should have a healthy relationship with food. But we all know that we don't live in a perfect world.

The alcohol/food addiction argument is so weak as to be laughable. I don't believe you can be addicted to something you have to have to live??? Crazy. Or maybe it's better said that EVERYONE is addicted to food, without it we would die. Anyway, I said my piece. I'm going to bed now.
  • tjl2329
    tjl2329 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    You go girl. Right there with you. I have a hard time with sugar. More I eat the . More! I want. When I don't I don't crave it. I am diabetic so it's best to limit my sugar anyway. I am now working on artificial sweeteners. Good luck. It'll get easier. Don't give up and forget the haters.
  • Natmarie73
    Natmarie73 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Dude, Try not to make blanket statements with out telling us why YOU think someone else's comment is wrong...

+1,000,000,000

Thank you! Seriously - the one-liner smack downs are *the* most annoying parts about these threads. Sometimes I think people are just trying to rack up comment tallies on their profile. It's so juvenile.

This x 100,000,000,000,000000. I thought I was the only person who was annoyed by this.

I refuse to reply to one word troll replies anymore, (or GIF replies I can't even view on my monitor although I'm sure they were hilarious and oh so mature). The same 4 or 5 people pop up and say the same thing on every single "sugar detox" "juice cleanse" or "calorie counting" thread. These comments serve no purpose apart from attempting to turn the tread into the usual slanging match.

It really beats me why any normal sane person would purposely start an arguement on every. single. thread. about a topic they obviously don't believe in or know anything about over and over again.