Sugar Detox

Options

Replies

• JessG11
    JessG11 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Man, I guess I need to give my entire medical history here huh? I never said myself sugar is a toxin. I took that sentence directly out of someone else's post who I quoted and said that I have had doctors tell me similar information such as it would be good for someone like you, with your history to try and abstain from sugar treats until the time comes you feel you can make healthy decisions.

I myself get sugar. I get it in fruits and veggies and carbs like whole grains and peanut butter. For myself, I'm talking about sweet treats.

Well you're the one wanting to argue about it...

You're right. Totally what I'm doing. Arguing. Trying to give a different perspective that perhaps everyone doesn't fit into the same mold as everyone else and telling people they should NOT listen to their doctors and other experts in their lives when trying to make changes, they should just listen to internet forums....shame on me....seriously...shame on me for having a different perspective on things.

If a doctor told me to detox from sugar, I'd find a different doctor. Seriously, you act like doctors are gods or something. Have you ever sought a second opinion on something because what they said didn't sound right?

Once again, I was quoting that directly from someone else. I've never had a doctor, or anyone, tell me sugar is a toxin. I've had doctors tell me to refrain from what some of my trigger foods are....all containing sugar, with chocolate and caramel, and on and on...
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Man, I guess I need to give my entire medical history here huh? I never said myself sugar is a toxin. I took that sentence directly out of someone else's post who I quoted and said that I have had doctors tell me similar information such as it would be good for someone like you, with your history to try and abstain from sugar treats until the time comes you feel you can make healthy decisions.

I myself get sugar. I get it in fruits and veggies and carbs like whole grains and peanut butter. For myself, I'm talking about sweet treats.

You're right. Totally what I'm doing. Arguing. Trying to give a different perspective that perhaps everyone doesn't fit into the same mold as everyone else and telling people they should NOT listen to their doctors and other experts in their lives when trying to make changes, they should just listen to internet forums....shame on me....seriously...shame on me for having a different perspective on things.

If a doctor told me to detox from sugar, I'd find a different doctor. Seriously, you act like doctors are gods or something. Have you ever sought a second opinion on something because what they said didn't sound right?

Once again, I was quoting that directly from someone else. I've never had a doctor, or anyone, tell me sugar is a toxin. I've had doctors tell me to refrain from what some of my trigger foods are....all containing sugar, with chocolate and caramel, and on and on...

But you defended that position like it was your words. I guess I just don't understand what you were trying to accomplish by pulling the whole doctor bit.
  • JessG11
    Options

What do you believe is the chemical difference in the sugar found in those foods you do eat, versus the sugar found in 'sweet treats?' On a biochemical level, what makes the sugars found in peanut butter acceptable, while the sugars found in - for example - a Hershey's bar are unacceptable for you?

Obviously you haven't read older posts in this extremely long thread. I, myself, am not abstaining from sugar. Just certain sugar filled foods like chocolate, ice cream, cookies and cakes, as I try to gain some healthier habits and self control so I don't eat massive amounts of these foods.
    EDIT: I don't believe it is a biochemical thing for me so much as an emotional and mental thing. Others, I'm sure are different.
    I did read them. I'm not understanding - at all - what you're thinking you'll accomplish by selectively abstaining from specific foods. I'm also not understanding - at all - how your response actually answered the question I put to you; could you clarify?

I believe I did answer it. I completely understand that sugar is sugar. I get it. But for me, I can have a bag of oranges in my kitchen, eat one, and have no desire to eat the entire bag. However, if I have a bag of candy, I will have one and another and another. Makes total sense to me, to maybe refrain from candy or treats, until I can get a healthy relationship right???
  • Adw7677
    Adw7677 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I recently wanted to try this but then I realized there's just too much sugar in the house. I'm thinking about getting the poison skull labels and putting them on EVERYTHING with added sugars, and then gradually replace them with better foods.
  • establishingaplace
    establishingaplace Posts: 301 Member
    Options

Look, you gotta find what works for you and do it. And you've found what works for you. And that's great! Way to go! No sarcasm!

That still doesn't make the sentence "sugar is toxic and addictive and will make you obese" true. I don't care if Jesus came to you in a dream and said it; it's not true.

Inability to control oneself around a food is not the same as addiction. And too much food, not sugar itself, will make you obese.
  • montana_girl
    montana_girl Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    I know there are some people on MFP that are against cutting out something, but for myself, I have no self control and truly believe in sugar addiction. I love sweets. And I can't eat just one cookie here and there. I want to eat it all. I will skip meals to eat sweets. I would also feel the need to eat sweets daily.

**Let me edit and add: when I say refined sugars I mean desserts, sweets, white sugar in my coffee, cokes, ice creams, etc. A bag of chips can sit in my pantry untouched but a bag of m&ms will be gone in a heartbeat. If I eat one sweet thing, I'll immediately want another.

We are very similar in this regard.

As I've gotten to know so many people on this wonderful site, I've come to learn that there are generally three kinds of people when it comes to the refined, processed, sugary stuff: 1.) Those who don't particularly like it and just ignore it by default; 2.) Those who have eaten too much of it in the past but just need to learn to moderate with it, and when they do they have no trouble keeping it at reasonable levels; 3.) Those who have tried to eat at moderate levels for years but find themselves voraciously attacking an entire bag of m&ms if given the opportunity.

With salty snacks, fried foods, and cheesy stuff I fall into category #2.

With the sweets (and I'd add white bread and pasta), I fall into category #3.

This is a hugely unpopular thing to say on these boards, but the solution I found for MYSELF (and I will quickly qualify this by saying this is not for everyone and is a highly personal choice), was to abstain completely from the sweet foods that triggered *me* into overeating. I'm not talking about all sugar - I still ate fruit, honey, maple syrup, jams, and even a little artificial sweetener in yogurt for example. But I stopped eating cookies, cake, cupcakes, ice cream, chocolate bars, sourdough bread, pasta, and many other foods that I just could not control myself with.

I did this in January of 2012 and I continue to do so. For me, it was probably the single most important thing I did in terms of finally losing my 65 lbs and regaining my sanity. I don't miss it one bit. The only time I feel a little squeeze is during the holidays. But I'd much rather forego some pumpkin pie to keep my inner peace.

I have found that some people get very offended when I tell them I did this. I think they believe that if I would just be "stronger", "not so lazy", "more self controlled", and so forth, then I wouldn't have this problem. I disagree. As someone who is on her 801st day of logging every single bite that goes into her mouth, and built up a running regimen from a couch potato to doing 4 miles at almost 7mph now, I am ANYTHING but lazy and not self-controlled. It was a chemical and emotional issue and I dealt with it the way that worked for me.

I mention this because there may be others who have the same problem as me, and I wanted to share my story in case it inspired them to consider it as well. But again - it is NOT a solution for everyone and shouldn't be taken lightly. It's a big sacrifice.

THIS^^^^ All of it. Unless you are a #3, one simply cannot understand. Thank you for speaking up for us 'lazy' and I'll add, 'weak' folks! :flowerforyou:

You are so welcome! There are a few of us 3's out there... I keep stumbling across them on here, and always feel better I'm not alone! :)

Definitely not alone... I fall under this category (for me it's more the sweet/salty foods, but occasionally it's the sweets). I appreciate your heartfelt post. I just wish people would understand that there is no one "right way" to diet/lose weight/be healthy. What works for me for me most likely won't work for anyone else on this site. Why? Because everyone is different. People need to read, research, and apply and see what works for them. If it doesn't work, tweak it until it does.

Over the years I've gone from a person that ate crap, but as long as I was within my calorie goal I would lose weight. When that stopped working, I started replacing the crap with healthier foods. Then I added exercise. And in the last year I've made the personal decision to reduce the amount of processed foods I ate. And in the last month, I cut back on the grains and starchy foods. Would I recommend this to everyone? No. This is what has worked and is working for me.
  • KombuchaCat
    KombuchaCat Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    What you are going through is totally normal, and in the end a good thing. Your body is releasing all the toxins that build up from sugar. Once you get past the initial phase you will feel great. I would suggest eating more good fats to help you get through. They will help you feel satiated and easy the shakiness. While you are detoxing you should consider cutting out all fruit as well...any source of fructose, which is really what your body is detoxing from. Once you get through a number of weeks without any fructose you could add some fruit back in. If you have a serious sugar addiction tread lightly, though, and try lower fructose fruites like grapefruits, blueberries and kiwi. Good luck! We could all use a sugar detox and a lifetime of less of it...we're all sweet enough already :flowerforyou:
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    I went to the doctor some time ago. My triglycerides were high. He whipped out his pad and wrote a prescription for some pill. Now, I asked my doctor, who I really like, what about diet and exercise for this? He looked at me like I was a zombie, handed me the script and walked out. I never took the pills and my triglycerides are fine now, controlled with diet and exercise. So, no, if your doctor actually said "sugar is toxic and will make you obese" don't listen to him because common sense says he is wrong, I don't have to.
  • JessG11
    Options

But you defended that position like it was your words. I guess I just don't understand what you were trying to accomplish by pulling the whole doctor bit.

Only that I PERSONALLY think that I will follow doctors advice when it comes to trying different things with myself. That's it. That's all I'm trying to say. And that I think it isn't right to tell people to not listen to their doctors. But that's my opinion.
  • prattiger65
    Options
    What you are going through is totally normal, and in the end a good thing. Your body is releasing all the toxins that build up from sugar. Once you get past the initial phase you will feel great. I would suggest eating more good fats to help you get through. They will help you feel satiated and easy the shakiness. While you are detoxing you should consider cutting out all fruit as well...any source of fructose, which is really what your body is detoxing from. Once you get through a number of weeks without any fructose you could add some fruit back in. If you have a serious sugar addiction tread lightly, though, and try lower fructose fruites like grapefruits, blueberries and kiwi. Good luck! We could all use a sugar detox and a lifetime of less of it...we're all sweet enough already :flowerforyou:

Releasing all the toxins?????? What toxins??????? Please name just one toxin?
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

Well that is certainly a load of nonsense. What toxins build up from sugar?
  • establishingaplace
    establishingaplace Posts: 301 Member
    Options

Only that I PERSONALLY think that I will follow doctors advice when it comes to trying different things with myself. That's it. That's all I'm trying to say. And that I think it isn't right to tell people to not listen to their doctors. But that's my opinion.

I'm confused. You just got through telling everyone that all of these credential-holding experts told you "something similar" to "sugar is toxic/addictive and will make you obese." So...did these experts tell you that sugar is toxic/addictive, or not?
  • prattiger65
    Options

I'm confused. You just got through telling everyone that all of these credential-holding experts told you "something similar" to "sugar is toxic/addictive and will make you obese." So...did these experts tell you that sugar is toxic/addictive, or not?

Doubtful
  • cuinboston2014
    cuinboston2014 Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    if you were going to take driving lessons would you take them from a) someone with one speeding violation and no accidents or b0 someone with multiple speeding violations and five or six accidents???

I try to look to people that have had long term success in health and fitness and draw from their knowledge and experience. Does that mean that exactly what they did will work for me? No, of course not; it does however mean that they can provide me with more useful information for to add to what I have already found what works for me. And most people that have had success in health, weight loss, fitness etc, are going to have "rocking bodies" or "athletic bodies" or whatever adjective you want to use to describe it..

I love how you somehow turn around long term success and an athletic body and try to make it an insult...interesting...

Your first mistake is using an apples-to-oranges analogy comparing the infinitely complex world of weight loss and health to something as simple and concrete as driving lessons. Weight loss and health don't only involve simple mechanics and skill. There are myriad layers to the human psyche and emotions at play. This is what folks with your attitude don't understand, and this is why you lack the COMPLETE set of skills needed to help people effectively.

There is an ancient passage that is commonly used at weddings and it goes something like this:

"If I speak in the tongues of men or of angels, but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. If I give all I possess to the poor and give over my body to hardship that I may boast, but do not have love, I gain nothing."

You can have all the long-term success and athleticism and great looks and "expertise" in the world, but if you don't have empathy, listening skills, an understanding of what people who struggle with eating disorders feel and think, and a heart of compassion, then on these boards.....you're nothing but a Derp-spreader. It's that simple. And that's why you get SO much push-back from people on here.

To the 3-4 people we're all thinking of and speaking to here....please be wise to consider this feedback. You could really be a helpful force to many people. Don't blow that chance.

the sage of MFP advice has spoken and we should all take heed and follow her path < that was sarcasm in case your missed it.

Yea, so you totally missed my point, but I guess I will go with a health and fitness related one so that we are all on the same page.

Would you rather take health and fitness advice from an out of shape obese person, or someone that has obviously met their health and fitness goals? For me, I would rather go with the later as they obviously have accomplished their goals and know what they are doing.

And I love how you somehow seem to know what kind of "advice" that I give. Pray tell, have you reviewed my entire positing history??? If not then maybe you should not be so quick to paint with a broad brush ...

You do not have a clue what I or the "others" that you mention give for advice...

LOL so if we are commenting about juice cleanses, sugar detoxes, master cleanses, water fasts, et al and saying that they are "bad" that makes us "derp spreaders"....ok ...take your holier than thou attitude somewhere else...rolling eyez...

I can't believe this thread is still going :) I haven't read the last page in full detail as you can only read the same thing so many times. But I do want to comment on a few things.

I used to be really fat and out of shape. I was almost 300 pounds and I ate a lot - a LOT of food. I would've loved to blame it on an addiction to food or sugar or what have you or even a lack of self control. Rather, I decided to eat my feelings instead of deal with them. Lesson learned - don't eat your feelings - you don't really solve anything that way.

There are SO MANY people on MFP - this thread included - saying "I can't" do this or "I can't" do that. When you started something else in your life did you tell yoruself you couldn't do it and set yourself up for failure? Probably not. So why are you doing it with this?

I quoted the above as I would much rather take fitness advice from someone who is in great shape. My husband is in phenomenal shape - so I get my lifting advice from him. I get my running advice from my sister who is an experienced runner. I'm not going to ask my brother who runs and lifts occasionally about advice on either.

I'm in school to be a Dietitian and have completed another Nutrition related program. I was told by the RD that I did a clinical with that since I had experience with food struggles and weight previously, people would be more inclined to listen to me as I would be able to at least somewhat understand the struggles food can present and how to get to and manage a healthy lifestyle. No, I don't know everything but I do know that unless you have an allergy no food group is inherently bad for you and if any Dietitian tells you to exclude one particular food or food group I'd wonder what their motives are. I know that I love cookies and cake. I do. I would eat them all - if I could. I could probably eat an entire 12" cookie cake doused in frosting in no time. I want to sometimes. But I don't. Because I know I can stop myself and I will regret it later. Yes, food can release feel-good hormones in our brain but that doesn't mean that we can't enjoy the "good" feeling and walk away after having a bite or two.

This is what we need to teach ourselves. Abstaining from any particular food or food group, unless you have an allergy, is not going to solve your problem that is seeded within.

I just wish people in general would stop saying they "can't" do something. It irks me to no end that people are not giving themselves enough credit for what you can do. You CAN lose weight by eating a cookie now and then if you want and believe you can eat one and walk away. For goodness sake I don't care if you have to buy a cookie and then walk far away from where you got the cookie so you don't have a second one. You CAN lose weight by eating Paleo or by eating Twinkies or whatever freaking diet you want.

Give yourself some credit. Most people will say to eat whatever you want in moderation - 80% clean, 20% junk. Because it works. It allows us indulgences. Some people don't like that - fine. Do what you want but believe that you can do it and for the love of God don't demonize any food. Sugar isn't a freaking dangerous substance. Neither are carbs. Almost 50% of your diet should come from carbs unless you have special diet restrictions.

Apparently I should have commented a lot sooner because now I'm so frustrated I just rambled for 90000000 paragraphs.
  • JessG11
    Options

Look, you gotta find what works for you and do it. And you've found what works for you. And that's great! Way to go! No sarcasm!

That still doesn't make the sentence "sugar is toxic and addictive and will make you obese" true. I don't care if Jesus came to you in a dream and said it; it's not true.

Inability to control oneself around a food is not the same as addiction. And too much food, not sugar itself, will make you obese.

Totally agree!!!! I have a complete inability to control myself with certain foods....and my inablity to have a healthy relationship with certain food is what has led certain doctors, and other such as a therapist who is highly trained in people's issues with food, to perhaps abstain from eating cakes and so forth and see what happens. So to me, it's not the sugar that is addictive, it is the feelings of comfort I get when I do eat these things and my inability to control that that has led to my being obese. There are others like me who have the same issues.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options

She said that to see what our reaction would be.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

so one form of sugar = good; the sugar from "treats" = bad?
  • JessG11
    Options
    Oh I think we are all clear as to what some peoples' reaction are going to be!
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options
    i-can-has-cake.jpg
  • sassyjae21
    sassyjae21 Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    I think what's important that some folks may be missing is that if it isn't sustainable indefinitely, it may possibly be a waste of time.

There are a lot of ways to go about losing weight, but I do believe we can all agree that what causes weight loss is a calorie deficit.

Energy in<Energy out.

Cutting out a whole food group completely is not going to specifically cause weight loss. The calorie deficit caused by the eliminating of that food group is what is going to cause weight loss (IF you create a deficit).

Cutting out sugar completely is difficult and I would venture to say impossible, but, whatever. You're going to have to learn moderation at some point.

If you believe that cutting it completely out and then slowly adding back in helps, by all means, go for it. But at some point, you WILL have to learn portion control. Or you're going to have a bad time.

I think what the people here are trying to do is prevent you from wasting your time and making yourself miserable by cutting out sugar completely (for those who said they were going to attempt that).

Best of luck learning how to eat it in moderation. However you go about it.