When to delete inactive friends...

Replies

• Illini_Jim
    Illini_Jim Posts: 419 Member
    15 minutes. If they aren’t constantly coddling my fragile psyche…I cut them loose.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Why delete them at all? If they are inactive they are not clogging up your news feeds or anything? Maybe they fell off the wagon and then when they come back they will be bummed find they have no friends for support again. A lot deleted me as well when I was inactive for a few months.
    This.
  • myuhmaya
    myuhmaya Posts: 71 Member
    I had a friends list in the hundreds and I went inactive for many months and most of those *kitten* abandoned me!

Stop being so inactive and they won't be *kitten*.

Sound advice!
  • YesIAm17
    YesIAm17 Posts: 817 Member
    I only delete for 7+ days of inactivity IF the person isn't even active at all when they are around... so for example I look at my FL and see someone who hasn't logged in for 7+ days AND I don't remember having seen them log, comment, or do anything for months... BUT if they are active when they are around and I like them then of course I won't delete them for not logging in for 7 days or for temporarily not being very active for awhile.

I don't think that's harsh... you've got to be pretty damn MIA for that to get you cut from my FL.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Depends, did I actually like them? If so, I can wait months.

If they were just there? 2 to 3 days.

^ This. Still have my IRL best friends on there (though they might get the axe soon...) and a few others I enjoy. One person I think might have, er... :frown:

And inactive friends pop up in my newsfeed with the "SO AND SO HASN'T BEEN HERE, MAYBE YOU SHOULD ENCOURAGE THEM." What, are my MFP friends Neopets?
  • crazymama2both
    crazymama2both Posts: 195 Member
    15 minutes. If they aren’t constantly coddling my fragile psyche…I cut them loose.

this...of course
  • Sovi_
    Sovi_ Posts: 575 Member
    If someone goes three days without worshiping me I put them in purgatory. Then I verbally abuse them for a week. If I don't get at least a like, I make a trip to their homes and *kitten* slap them for their insolence. If that does not work, I finally delete them with a strongly written PM and or send them an email, kik, text and a fax. Smoke signals are only for those whom I love the most.
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    It depends.

RL friends I keep for-evah!

Good MFP friends, usually for-evah! (Charlie hasn't been on in months, miss his likes.)

Pretty good friend, weeks.

Someone I don't even know who it is... a few days.

I'm almost ALWAYS around here... so I like a chatty group.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    well if your aim is to delete inactive friends I guess delete them when they become inactive. I personally sometimes go inactive when inpromptu outings occur like this weekend I got a wild hair and went out of town to help a sick relative and ended up staying. after a 5 day absence I was glad nobody deleted me. i think.

i guess if you are trying to keep everyone active then you might issue a warnign on yoru wall that you delete people who do not stay active past a certain number of days. then they at least have the chance to PM you their excuse.
  • EHolstrom
    EHolstrom Posts: 2,563 Member
    for me, 1 month for those who never really communicated back with me, 3 months for those who supported me and i supported them and were doing good keeping up, and i keep all ppl i know IRL.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    I usually wait 30 days, but there are some that seem to come back eventually, and I would hate to delete them, just to have to beg them to accept my FR again later. So there are several I hold on to for much longer.
  • MYhealthyjourney70
    MYhealthyjourney70 Posts: 276 Member
    I give them around 30 days...
  • Scott_2025
    Scott_2025 Posts: 201 Member
    I never delete friends. I never know when they might decide to come back And I will be a familiar face for them.
  • MagJam2004
    MagJam2004 Posts: 651 Member
    Why delete them at all? If they are inactive they are not clogging up your news feeds or anything? Maybe they fell off the wagon and then when they come back they will be bummed find they have no friends for support again. A lot deleted me as well when I was inactive for a few months.
    This.

The reason I would, is simply because it is not just the lack of action in the news feed. It is the fact that someone reached out to you and sent you a FR asking for support. But by not logging in, contributing, participating, going so far as to hit a like button from time to time, they aren't returning the investment which is my time and energy. It takes a little bit to check up on folks, craft a PM or wall post, check on their diary if it's open; all of this while getting no interaction.

The simple fact that they sent me a request though is enough for me to give every effort in helping those that asked for help. But no interaction equates to a lopsided relationship; digital though it might be.
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member

Actually one of my MPRers was told she couldn't add any more friends because she was at her limit (didn't even know there was a limit). So by deleting inactive people, you're making room for those that are active. With that said, I used to delete after about 30 days, but after the massacre at a mall in Kenya and one of my freshly deleted "friends" lived in Kenya, I had no way of knowing if she was ok, so now I check every few months or so. Also one of my MFPers is pregnant, so I'm giving her a little leeway on the whole logging in.
  • Mainebikerchick
    Mainebikerchick Posts: 1,573 Member
    I go on vacation camping for 8 days every year and don't log or log in since I don't have a smart phone.

So, if I get deleted for having a life, so be it....more of me for everyone else!! :bigsmile:
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    every decision is different. some of my friends could go away for 6 months and i wouldn't delete them. some could go away for 2 weeks and i might. inactivity isn't really an issue. real life intervenes and even though this site can be addicting (believe me, i know), sometimes you have to pull yourself away and deal with real life for a while. so if that's what somebody is doing, it would seem pretty douchey to me to delete them while they are gone just because they didn't come back to say "hi" on my wall twice a month.
  • MagJam2004
    MagJam2004 Posts: 651 Member
    every decision is different. some of my friends could go away for 6 months and i wouldn't delete them. some could go away for 2 weeks and i might. inactivity isn't really an issue. real life intervenes and even though this site can be addicting (believe me, i know), sometimes you have to pull yourself away and deal with real life for a while. so if that's what somebody is doing, it would seem pretty douchey to me to delete them while they are gone just because they didn't come back to say "hi" on my wall twice a month.

unfortunately, despite my earlier comment I can't help but share the sentiment. I haven't been able to bring myself to delete anyone, but it is still frustrating nonetheless.
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member

Truth....feel the same way.
    2v8s6yw.jpg
  • montana_girl
    montana_girl Posts: 1,403 Member
    I wait 1 month then bye bye

^^This... if they haven't been around for a month, then they probably aren't coming back anytime soon.