Teen girl kicked out of Planet Fitness

Options

Replies

• craftywitch_63
    craftywitch_63 Posts: 829 Member
    Options
    I am a member of Planet Fitness and I see people wearing clothing like that all the time and they were never told to leave. Must be a Michigan thing.

Yeah, except it also happened in California. And in New Mexico an observant Muslim woman was kicked out for wearing her hijab (head scarf). The PF staff told her to put on a baseball cap instead. The safety aspect of the hijab was addressed and the concern was NOT safety. One guy (not sure where) was kicked out for filming himself flexing in the locker room ( okay, that might have been a privacy issue even though he claims the locker room was unoccupied except by him. Just because he wants to be filmed being an *kitten* doesn't mean everyone walking by wants to be filmed.)

"Nationally, the chain banishes about two members monthly, often for such shocking offenses as grunting, looking too hot or dropping one’s weights on the ground."

Retrieved from: http://www.vocativ.com/culture/health-culture/woman-ejected-planet-fitness-gym-toned/
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad I work out at home.
    I work out in a gym and I have done so on and off for years in different states and cities and have never heard of anything like this happening.

Why would ONE silly incident make you glad you work out at home? (Not that there's anything wrong with that. I would myself if I had the space and money for the equipment.)
  • Modern_Warrior
    Options
    The article in question (http://www.myfoxdfw.com/story/25190792/gym-deems-teens-outfit-inappropriate) mentions another gym offering the victim a lifetime membership. I'd like to know what gym that is in order to give them props for the offer. This is essentially a poor decision on the part of the francize owners.
  • tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    I love Chris Jone's (Physiques of Greatness) Planet Fitness rant... (agree with his stance too)

Rant: Planet Fitness The Hippie Gym
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEdoWCiOnFo

NSFW - I don't think any of his videos are - but he is highly entertaining.
  • T_R_A_V
    T_R_A_V Posts: 1,629 Member
    Options
    Planet Fitness is a joke....really a f$%king lunk alarm

Maybe it should go off just for sweating
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Worth noting that they are a franchise and it was up to this individual owner? I don't work out there, so I wouldn't know, but I know individuals ruin it for larger groups all of the time.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    "I suspect she had the tank removed and was in the sports bra and leggings when someone complained. Even so, that is IMO okay gym attire even without the tank"

But not at Planet Fitness. Members agree to the dress code as a condition of membership.

Now this gal was definitely breaking the dress code, wearing a string halter top.
    http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/calif-woman-fit-halter-top-gym-staff-article-1.1726994
  • MKEgal
    Options
    Lofteren says:
    "Planet Fitness isn't even a gym. It's just a place for *kitten* to go and feel sorry for themselves."

Well, you're half right. They bill themselves as "not a gym".
    The rest is exactly the sort of lunk statement that's not welcome at PF.
  • MKEgal
    Options
    Josalinn says:
    "I totally feel for the ladies in the news stories ... my law school brain went racing down the First Amendment track"

Planet Fitness is not a government entity, so is not constrained by the Constitution.
    The restriction on the company comes from other laws which made special classes of people who are more equal, more deserving of government attention & protection. Companies can only get in trouble if they discriminate based on one of those qualities (skin color, religion, disability).

IMO, companies should be able to discriminate against anyone, for any reason, but they should be required to clearly state who is not welcome - in all ads, and by posting standardized signs on their entrance door(s). That way everyone can decide whether or not they want to give that company their money.
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    Josalinn says:
    "I totally feel for the ladies in the news stories ... my law school brain went racing down the First Amendment track"

Planet Fitness is not a government entity, so is not constrained by the Constitution.
    The restriction on the company comes from other laws which made special classes of people who are more equal, more deserving of government attention & protection. Companies can only get in trouble if they discriminate based on one of those qualities (skin color, religion, disability).

IMO, companies should be able to discriminate against anyone, for any reason, but they should be required to clearly state who is not welcome - in all ads, and by posting standardized signs on their entrance door(s). That way everyone can decide whether or not they want to give that company their money.

You must belong to Planet Flimsy.

Also, discriminate against anyone? Good grief, maybe you need to time warp back a few hundred years.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    Planet Fitness isn't even a gym. It's just a place for *kitten* to go and feel sorry for themselves.

I bet they don't even have a platform. If you could lift there it wouldn't count anyway.
  • sjohnny
    Options
    While I totally feel for the ladies in the news stories, and my law school brain went racing down the First Amendment track....

I needed a good laugh today. THANK YOU!:laugh:

(Also the life time membership elsewhere is priceless!)

I'm sorry I don't remember the First Amendment? Was it freedom of thong, or else I get a free lifetime memberships elsewhere?

Freedom of Religion? The one lady said she was Muslim.

The other lady not so much. I think PF should be held accountable for making her feel judged. But over all I was more laughing at myself because my first reaction was to analysis it like a test question. So just being a dork.

TIL Planet Fitness is part of the government.
  • sjohnny
    Options
    What idiots.I did not see anything wrong with what she wore.People dress worst at walmart.

Do we really want to use Walmart as our benchmark for what is and what is not appropriate?
  • tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    Companies can only get in trouble if they discriminate based on one of those qualities (skin color, religion, disability).

Planet Fitness has definitely discriminated due to religion.
  • thatjosiegirl
    thatjosiegirl Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    It's a tank top, they are not allowed at PF. I still don't get it. Glad I have a gym that doesn't have stupid policies, I live in tanks at the gym.
  • tmm_0127
    tmm_0127 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    Her arms are showing.

TOO MUCH SKIN.

I feel like Planet Fitness needs a reality check. Judgement free? Whatever.
  • sjohnny
    Options
    Wow. What in the world is she supposed to be wearing??? She is dressed 100% appropriately. This is pathetic. Thank goodness I don't have a membership there. My nike pro core shorts would have made the swap team crash through the windows:laugh:

What the hell is a swap team? Are they the people who come in and swap out your inappropriate clothes for less offensive ones.
  • sassyjae21
    sassyjae21 Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    Wow. What in the world is she supposed to be wearing??? She is dressed 100% appropriately. This is pathetic. Thank goodness I don't have a membership there. My nike pro core shorts would have made the swap team crash through the windows:laugh:

What the hell is a swap team? Are they the people who come in and swap out your inappropriate clothes for less offensive ones.

I meant SWAT team and you what the hell I meant
  • sjohnny
    Options

I meant SWAT team and you what the hell I meant

:laugh: