Broscience FTW

Options
Today I got into an argument with a friend about nutrition, which is a mistake because this particular friend is a big believer in broscience nonsense. She often touts myths without knowing much about science or nutrition.

So today she insisted that you can lose weight while on a surplus as long as you're eating paleo. She vehemently insisted that a calorie deficit is not the only way to lose weight; as long as you're eating "healthy food," you can eat as much as you want (even when it exceeds your daily caloric needs). She knows this because "they've done studies" and "each person is different."

We then got into the issue of "a calorie is not a calorie," and while I acknowledged that different foods have different nutrient densities, I insisted that, barring a medical condition that would prevent normal weight loss, a calorie deficit WILL result in weight loss because, ya know, thermodynamics. She said this was wrong, since almost everyone has "undiagnosed food allergies," which is causing inflammation that stops weight loss from happening.

Ah, isn't misinformation great?

Replies

• snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    I generally just give up when it comes to people like that. It doesn't matter how much scientific evidence you throw at people, they refuse to believe it and they're not interested in any 'truths' that aren't their own.
  • knightlygator
    Options
    Today I got into an argument with a friend about nutrition, which is a mistake because this particular friend is a big believer in broscience nonsense. She often touts myths without knowing much about science or nutrition.

You know the blonde bimbo I work with too?? Gosh the world is small. :)
  • autovatic
    autovatic Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Super frustrating, especially when you're coming from sceptic's perspective.

But I would say, give your friend the benefit of the doubt: help her learn to think critically about the things she is reading, show her places to look up *credible* information, don't just feed her facts that contradict what she is currently believing.

A tall task, but one less person who believes everything they see on Facebook is a huge victory for humanity!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    you know, "each person is different" is all well and good, but there are 7 billion of us. i bet more of us are the same than we think.
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    My mother does this to me.

She keeps telling me how all I need to do is cut carbs and it'll be impossible to gain weight no matter how much I eat.

Then she tells me to drink more milk.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    in…for the snowflake support of this...
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I am allergic to asparagus and pickles... Or maybe I just hate them.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I generally just give up when it comes to people like that. It doesn't matter how much scientific evidence you throw at people, they refuse to believe it and they're not interested in any 'truths' that aren't their own.

I read a study recently that basically found that if you use science to prove psuedoscience wrong, the believer will cling to it even more tightly.

So it's hopeless, pretty much.

Here it is. It's talking about the antivax movement but I still think it applies.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/xx_factor/2014/03/03/effective_messages_in_vaccine_promotion_when_it_comes_to_anti_vaxxers_there.html

http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/content/early/2014/02/25/peds.2013-2365
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

I read a study recently that basically found that if you use science to prove psuedoscience wrong, the believer will cling to it even more tightly.

they should do a study on the 'rage quit cycle'
  • ashleyisgreat
    ashleyisgreat Posts: 586 Member
    Options

Noooo. That's terrible! haha
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options

So today she insisted that you can lose weight while on a surplus as long as you're eating paleo. She vehemently insisted that a calorie deficit is not the only way to lose weight; as long as you're eating "healthy food," you can eat as much as you want (even when it exceeds your daily caloric needs). She knows this because "they've done studies" and "each person is different."

We then got into the issue of "a calorie is not a calorie," and while I acknowledged that different foods have different nutrient densities, I insisted that, barring a medical condition that would prevent normal weight loss, a calorie deficit WILL result in weight loss because, ya know, thermodynamics. She said this was wrong, since almost everyone has "undiagnosed food allergies," which is causing inflammation that stops weight loss from happening.

btw, i just noticed your ticker. this should've been your response.

well-thats-just-like-your-opinion-man-gif-the-dude-lebowski.gif
  • ashleyisgreat
    Options

Close! It was more like Donny's face back there behind The Dude. Seriously. lol
  • heathercondon79
    Options
    Genius!
  • RomulanWarbird
    Options

^

How annoying! Obviously you know a little bit about what you're doing considering your progress.
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options

Here it is. It's talking about the antivax movement but I still think it applies.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/xx_factor/2014/03/03/effective_messages_in_vaccine_promotion_when_it_comes_to_anti_vaxxers_there.html

As a teacher of evolution in the south, this is something we've known about for A LONG TIME, no studies needed. But as a scientist, the study is of course icing.
  • Sbrn_
    Sbrn_ Posts: 351 Member
    Options

Oh my. :noway: How else are people going to learn and refine what they already know if they can't even accept cold, hard facts? That's actually quite terrifying. For serious.
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options

Oh my. :noway: How else are people going to learn and refine what they already know if they can't even accept cold, hard facts? That's actually quite terrifying. For serious.

Three words: Flat Earth Society
  • ashleyisgreat
    Options

Three words: Flat Earth Society

This and geocentrism. :huh:
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    12 million Americans believe that our country is run by shape-shifting lizard aliens, and you're surprised that so many believe broscience? :P

http://www.thewire.com/national/2013/04/12-million-americans-believe-lizard-people-run-our-country/63799/