Broscience FTW

Options

Replies

• jennifries227
    jennifries227 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Not long after I started counting calories a friend on Facebook posted a Broscience article stating that counting calories was bad for you and it wouldn't help you lose weight. She didn't tag me in the post, but there was no question why she posted it.

I just keep counting my calories and keep losing weight. 21 pounds since I started, and 11 since I joined MFP! So much for it not working...
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    Sometimes its not worth getting into with ignorant people. Just say, well you go ahead and eat at a surplus and I'll eat at a deficit and we'll see which works best!
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    12 million Americans believe that our country is run by shape-shifting lizard aliens, and you're surprised that so many believe broscience? :P

http://www.thewire.com/national/2013/04/12-million-americans-believe-lizard-people-run-our-country/63799/

Well I shouldn't surprised by that. But I am.

39776-7tDSpgif-yoDZ_zpsa4b2d78f.gif
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    12 million Americans believe that our country is run by shape-shifting lizard aliens, and you're surprised that so many believe broscience? :P

http://www.thewire.com/national/2013/04/12-million-americans-believe-lizard-people-run-our-country/63799/

hey, lets not start questioning the lizard shifting overlords….i don't want any part of that...
  • ashleyisgreat
    ashleyisgreat Posts: 586 Member
    Options

hey, lets not start questioning the lizard shifting overlords….i don't want any part of that...

You're one of them! I knew it.
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options

You're one of them! I knew it.

Well I've never seen his face, have you?
  • nikkihk
    nikkihk Posts: 487 Member
    Options

All of my friends are trying this new diet plan.. Soylent something? Tastes great and only half the calories of other meal replacements.
  • eileen0515
    eileen0515 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    When I was younger, I would try and debate silly, misinformed people, on a variety of subjects. Today I just write them off, and move on. I have come to the realization, many people have a distrust of science, and magic makes more sense. Sheesh!
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    i dont see stupid
  • angelzprophecy
    Options
    but i dont understand how inflammation would cause you to stop losing weight.... like wheres the logic in that???

and paleo is a fad diet that has not been around for that long. how does she think people lost weight before then? by accident? it just happened somehow? secret paleo dieting?
  • ashleyisgreat
    ashleyisgreat Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    but i dont understand how inflammation would cause you to stop losing weight.... like wheres the logic in that???

and paleo is a fad diet that has not been around for that long. how does she think people lost weight before then? by accident? it just happened somehow? secret paleo dieting?

There is no logic with her, honestly.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    Options
    You should see if she'll do an experiment.

You create a paleo friendly diet with a good solid 2000ish surplus and she can eat that for a few weeks and see how that works out. If she is clinging to the paleo broscience that hard then there should be no issue trying it out for a few weeks. :smile:
  • snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options

All of my friends are trying this new diet plan.. Soylent something? Tastes great and only half the calories of other meal replacements.

SOYLENT GREEN IS PEOPLE
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    You should see if she'll do an experiment.

You create a paleo friendly diet with a good solid 2000ish surplus and she can eat that for a few weeks and see how that works out. If she is clinging to the paleo broscience that hard then there should be no issue trying it out for a few weeks. :smile:

I've been seriously considering doing this over the summer while I'm visiting my family. There's no way I could afford the necessary meat if not on the farm.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    We then got into the issue of "a calorie is not a calorie," and while I acknowledged that different foods have different nutrient densities, I insisted that, barring a medical condition that would prevent normal weight loss, a calorie deficit WILL result in weight loss because, ya know, thermodynamics. She said this was wrong, since almost everyone has "undiagnosed food allergies," which is causing inflammation that stops weight loss from happening.

You could always point to people who lost weight while reducing portions of "inflammatory" foods. Or those who lost weight simply by exercising more, while still eating the same non-paleo processed foods.

I wouldn't give up on her. She mentioned "studies", so she has SOME respect for science. Maybe tap into that by looking at the actual studies with her on PubMed.

Besides, most versions of "paleo" are pretty decent, and she implied that she eats healthy, so i wouldn't alienate her. She's our ally in the war on fat. :wink:
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    Does she watch Dr. Oz?
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options

SOYLENT GREEN IS PEOPLE

Tasty tasty people
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options

Eating real food has been around longer than eating that frozen, packaged and boxed stuff that people write off as real food.

And look up Art Devany if you think Paleo hasn't been around for very long.
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    We then got into the issue of "a calorie is not a calorie," and while I acknowledged that different foods have different nutrient densities, I insisted that, barring a medical condition that would prevent normal weight loss, a calorie deficit WILL result in weight loss because, ya know, thermodynamics. She said this was wrong, since almost everyone has "undiagnosed food allergies," which is causing inflammation that stops weight loss from happening.

You could always point to people who lost weight while reducing portions of "inflammatory" foods. Or those who lost weight simply by exercising more, while still eating the same non-paleo processed foods.

I wouldn't give up on her. She mentioned "studies", so she has SOME respect for science. Maybe tap into that by looking at the actual studies with her on PubMed.

Besides, most versions of "paleo" are pretty decent, and she implied that she eats healthy, so i wouldn't alienate her. She's our ally in the war on fat. :wink:

The person I know who makes these kind of arguments just says that they're doomed to gain it back because restricting calories never works and when they stop torturing themselves they'll regain.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options

Obviously you have no inkling of a clue as to how hormones work with in the human body and how the inflammation upsets the hormonal balance, which leads to weight gain. Hormones such as insulin, grehlin, leptin, cortisol - when these hormones are unbalanced in the body, it will lead to not being able to lose weight at all or weight gain. EVEN with eating very little.

And lets not even delve into when thyroid issues are thrown into the mix.

Obesity itself is a symptom of at the very least low level inflammation in the body.