Diet coke/pepsi addiction...HELP!!

Options
I realised that I am addicted to diet coke/pepsi and some days I would drink over a 1 litre a day! I gave it up a week ago but my cravings got the better of me last night and I had two cans of diet pepsi. Today however I feel rubbish. I am so fatigued, head feels cloudy and I am craving high sugar foods just for some energy! Now this is kind of normal as I suffer from depression and have low energy as a symptom but it has been ok for a week.
Could the diet pepsi be causing how I feel today and why? My friend said it was aspartame as it is like poison but I have researched it and it has been proven safe to consume. And if it was aspartame then that is in other foods I consume so maybe it isn't the diet coke that is causing how I feel today!! Any info? Advice? I will be stopping diet coke again just in case it is that.

Replies

• oxsarahhxo
    Options
    I'd say it's probably due to the caffeine in it
  • corgicake
    corgicake Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    You wouldn't be the first person to react to fake sugar. There's plenty of people who don't do well with some food item or another, additives included. I can't have the stuff either because I had tons of it at a prior job and my body decided to go berserk over the stuff after I left.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    yah no...I drink diet coke everyday...

you have underlying issues so chances are it's that not the diet pop.
  • Hannahp1402
    Hannahp1402 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I get headaches without diet coke and feel just a bit crap. I can drink a diet coke and all of my lifes problems miraculously disappear and I feel refreshed and happy and just better. Its like some sort of drug addiction. But one I am in control of lol

I leave it alone for a few weeks and then go through a spell of drinking maybe 2 or 3 a day for a week or so then get off of it again. Tiredness makes me want to drink it - or maybe my minds playing games with me. Either way if you don't want to drink it anymore you need to just stop and dont start again. Just drink lots of water and take a couple headache tablets.

:)
  • fitness_faeiry
    fitness_faeiry Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend drinks about 1 litre of Pepsi a day, and has done for over a year now - he started the habit whilst he was dieting, as he said it helped with sugar cravings and prevented him from eating or wanting to eat sugary foods. So in that sense it has been good, and he managed to lose a lot of body fat in about 6 months. We watched a documentary about aspartame, and you're right it is safe and has no scientific evidence to prove it is bad for you. In fact it is better than having sugar, which is the one thing most people battle with because it is so addictive.

I would say though its the caffeine is probably causing you to feel sluggish and lethargic, as my boyfriend is exactly the same. He wakes up tired every day (but this is also probably due to the fact that he doesn't sleep well). My advice would be to make sure you drink enough water in-between your diet coke/pepsi - hydration is the best thing for you, and caffeine causes water retention , so you need adequate fluids to compensate. Try drinking more water (esp before bed and in the morning) and see if it makes a difference.
  • kaylagaston1390
    kaylagaston1390 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Yes, diet pepsi contains aspartame, something used to sweeten your drink instead of high calorie sugar. But aspartame is responsible for everything you're feeling and here is why:
    SOME THINGS CAUSED BY ASPARTAME CONSUMPTION

* birth defects
    * brain cancers
    * diabetes
    *emotional disorders
    *Epilepsy

If what you're consuming has aspartame in it, don't consume it. It's a poison, like flouride. Unfortunately it can be masked with different words on the ingredient list. But the more processed a food is, the more of this stuff is in it, you can bet on that. Are people that unaware that we are being killed off or debilitated?
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options
    Yes, diet pepsi contains aspartame, something used to sweeten your drink instead of high calorie sugar. But aspartame is responsible for everything you're feeling and here is why:

* birth defects
    * brain cancers
    * diabetes
    *emotional disorders
    *Epilepsy

If what you're consuming has aspartame in it, don't consume it. It's a poison, like flouride. Unfortunately it can be masked with different words on the ingredient list. But the more processed a food is, the more of this stuff is in it, you can bet on that. Are people that unaware that we are being killed off or debilitated?

Can you show us the scientific proof for these accusations??
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options

* birth defects
    * brain cancers
    * diabetes
    *emotional disorders
    *Epilepsy

Oh for goodness sakes….no….^^^^ this is a bunch of crap.

OP:
    If low energy is a symptom of your depression, it is quite possible that is what is going on and it has nothing to do with the diet beverage.
  • kaylagaston1390
    Options
    My goodness people, stop being ignorant and do your own research. It is all true, not trying to scare you but enlighten you. There are many other toxins added to processed foods and beverages that make us ill throughout time. This world is not what you think it is. You don't believe me because you don't want to. I don't blame you, but that changes nothing. Just search negative effects of aspartame yourself, while you're at it, flouride as well.
  • nomeejerome
    Options
    My goodness people, stop being ignorant and do your own research. It is all true, not trying to scare you but enlighten you. There are many other toxins added to processed foods and beverages that make us ill throughout time. This world is not what you think it is. You don't believe me because you don't want to. I don't blame you, but that changes nothing. Just search negative effects of aspartame yourself, while you're at it, flouride as well.

You still have not provided anything to back up your ridiculous claims. You are not bringing anything to the table and I do not believe you because research (the real thing--science) shows that your strong statements are not true. Critical thinking skills are awesome.
  • kaylagaston1390
    Options
    If you had critical thinking skills then you'd be capable of doing your own research, as I had stated. It's accessible information so there is no reason you can't. But sure, I'll flatter you. But don't turn around and tell me it's all wrong. I actually wouldn't care if you didn't believe me as I'm just trying to help. If you don't want to take the advice, I don't care. But I do personally know someone who was affected with white matter lesions on their brain due to these toxins. If you don't know what that is, LOOK IT UP!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qk98x_b-X60 Watch this. If you want, I will provide more.
  • nomeejerome
    Options
    If you had critical thinking skills then you'd be capable of doing your own research, as I had stated. It's accessible information so there is no reason you can't. But sure, I'll flatter you. But don't turn around and tell me it's all wrong. I actually wouldn't care if you didn't believe me as I'm just trying to help. If you don't want to take the advice, I don't care. But I do personally know someone who was affected with white matter lesions on their brain due to these toxins. If you don't know what that is, LOOK IT UP!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qk98x_b-X60 Watch this. If you want, I will provide more.

While I appreciate your attempt to provide evidence, it is a nice try and you can stop attempting to validate your claims with you tube videos. That may work to sway your beliefs and opinions, but I prefer the real thing. Science.
  • b3st
    b3st Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    I want to shake you up and watch you go.
  • klyn7788
    klyn7788 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I drink all kinds of diet soda (although, pretty infrequently) so I won't be getting involved in any battles about aspartame. But a post about lemon water earlier this mornings made me think of (and post) this recipe ... homemade sprite I saw on a blog last week. It's delicious and maybe will satiate a soda craving.

http://theskinnyconfidential.com/2014/01/29/buh-bye-nasty-*kitten*-soda-homemade-10-sprite/
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    BAHAHA! Youtube sources.
  • kaylagaston1390
    Options
    If you'd actually watched the videos, you'd see the proof. Explanation of what aspartame is, where it came from, tests done on animals to reveal adverse effects, doctor testimonials and most importantly the people who have become ill. These are professionals in these videos to raise awareness. So, how about this. For some scientific research, go ahead and consume as much of this junk as you can and continue living in the dark. Be the lab rat living in la la land part of the sheeple.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I realised that I am addicted to diet coke/pepsi and some days I would drink over a 1 litre a day! I gave it up a week ago but my cravings got the better of me last night and I had two cans of diet pepsi. Today however I feel rubbish. I am so fatigued, head feels cloudy and I am craving high sugar foods just for some energy! Now this is kind of normal as I suffer from depression and have low energy as a symptom but it has been ok for a week.
    Could the diet pepsi be causing how I feel today and why? My friend said it was aspartame as it is like poison but I have researched it and it has been proven safe to consume. And if it was aspartame then that is in other foods I consume so maybe it isn't the diet coke that is causing how I feel today!! Any info? Advice? I will be stopping diet coke again just in case it is that.

Caffeine maybe?

I've never had any issues with aspartame.....some people seem to. I do drink (unsweetened) iced tea also, so I'm not missing any caffeine.

I don't think 2 cans of diet soda is the cause of your sugar cravings either. Too much aspartame (chemical) is not good, but a diet soda once a day isn't terrible.