Who made you become overweight?

Options

Replies

• martineyes26
    martineyes26 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    The "old" me would say ex-boyfriends and traumatic events in my life. But I know better now and take full responsibility of what I put in my mouth and how long I sat on the couch.
    However, not having children of my own (yet), I do feel there is a responsibility of parents to monitor what their kids eat and to incorporate good eating habits.
  • oboeadam
    oboeadam Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Me. I don't think one can really blame anyone else but themselves. They made the choices and therefore they are responsible for their weight gain. Just my opinion though, and I'm sure there will be those who disagree.
  • salemsaberhagen
    salemsaberhagen Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    My neglectful and verbally abusive parents made me fat as a child; never around, threw junkfood and mcdonalds at me rather than actually cook a meal, mom routinely spouting "Im a business woman not a a mother", and horrible diets themselves. When I was getting close to leaving the house, I dropped the weight. Never looked back at them and been fit ever since.

Want a solution to child obesity? Remember- who is the parent and who is the child. It starts there.
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    Me. I wasn't a fat kid.
  • aribugg
    aribugg Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Honestly, i dont blame much of anyone, not even myself. my biggest problem is stress/depression eating, and i suffer from bipolar disorder. what am i supposed to say to my mom? "this mental disorder cam from your side of the family, its your fault i eat too much!" lol thats silly. and i cant blame myself for being bipolar, its not my fault either. i shouldve found a way to deal with emotions, yes, that is on me. but this habit started when i was very young, i wont kick myself for being a kid and not knowing what to do.
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    In for blame.
  • ChrysalisCove
    ChrysalisCove Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    Ultimately, I am responsible for my weight gain & for my weight loss. Like many others have mentioned, there were also external contributing factors. Several traumas during childhood (father's suicide, mother's depression, extended sexual abuse) led me to develop an unhealthy obsession with control, which led to disordered eating habits. I scared myself & worked very hard to lessen my obsession, but my "solution" was to pay no attention at all & I became overweight. I refused to diet due to a fear of relapse, then injured my back & even moderate activity became painful. I sought treatment & was turned away... I lived with the injury for years before recieving treatment... which then had to be halted when I discovered I was pregnant! I was at my highest weight ever at this point. After my son was born, I had back surgery & was determined to get things under control, which is exactly what I am doing! It is very difficult to balance weight loss with not over-restricting, but I am carefully following a plan that does not trigger me & is keeping me on the path to health!
  • craftywitch_63
    craftywitch_63 Posts: 829 Member
    Options
    My evil twin held me down and forced me to swallow large amounts of sugary, high-fat, calorie-dense, nutrition-light foods.

INxC5lg.png
  • JenToms80
    JenToms80 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Me and me alone
  • MapleFlavouredMaiden
    MapleFlavouredMaiden Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Babies. Little *kitten*.
  • jimwon953
    jimwon953 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    All my fault.

During my 20's I didn't give a damn about how I looked or how heavy I was, I just loved food and I ate lots of it and had a thoroughly good time doing so.

Then I decided to change.
  • Lizplus3
    Lizplus3 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Oh wow! This one you might not like my response to at all. Who do I think made me fat – well me of course! Could I say that I had a really bad childhood – well yes I could say that too. No I wasn’t hugged enough as a child and at times I wasn’t given enough food to eat. Are the people in my family overweight – well yes they sure are, but they also ate what they did and are where they are because of their own personal choices. My mother cooked food that is southern so was it always healthy – no, but it always tasted good. Am I better educated on how to cook so I don’t clog my arteries – yes I sure am. Does my partner eat badly – well yes, he sure does. He might not eat at all most of the day and then pig out at dinner and he has at least one king sized Reese’s peanut butter cup package before bed. Does that mean that I have to follow along like I don’t have a brain in my head – NO!
    I am a big owner of what you do with yourself and to yourself – I am SO TIRED of hearing how the bad things that we do are because of the actions of someone else. Grow up and own up! If I/you decide to eat an entire bag of chips it is my/your own choice – no one kept putting the chips in my/your mouth. When you keep filling your plate and eat so fast that your body/brain doesn’t have time to say, “hey, I’m full stop eating.” It is your own fault. The problem with this county (US) in part is that many people do not want to own up to the choices and mistakes that they make. You have to make life changes is you want to be healthy and weigh less – cook better, eat better, eat less, walk more. Get on the scale and own the number that shows up – then if you don’t like that number DO SOMETHING to change it!!!
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I'm blaming it on my two kids. I carried them for 10 months each. I deserve to use them as my reason.
  • msqdpie
    msqdpie Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    You are the Author of your Own Life Story. :happy:
  • Sovi_
    Sovi_ Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    the Keebler Elves.
  • April_KT
    April_KT Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTRXzj78lVv__-PWej1FLsgUtP6ahswGp6GzmNef-73fMKa6Ll9gw
  • Casistrophic
    Casistrophic Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I hold most of the responsibility obviously, but I think my mom and sister contributed. When I was just starting school we didn't have a lot of money, so I wore old/baggy clothes that didn't fit me right because I couldn't afford my own. I was a twig, but the clothes made me look fat so my sister teased me for being fat. I actually looked at a photo of myself in 1st grade and was shocked at how skinny I was; I expected to be obese because that's what my sister would call me. I think it became a self-fulfilling prophecy in a way because even back in elementary school I had begun to think "I'm fat anyway, so why bother?"

My mom didn't cause it, but she hinders it being fixed sometimes. She is very very overweight herself and it makes her feel bad about herself for me to lose weight. I don't think she does it consciously, but she'll get very insistent on me eating unhealthy when I am trying to make changes in my life. If I asked her to get fruit or fresh fish, she'd come back from the store with pizza rolls. She also tends to bake a lot of sugary desserts when I'm trying to lose weight and insist that I eat them. Again, I think this is a subconscious thing but it really puts a strain on our relationship.
  • Lizplus3
    Lizplus3 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I do blame my parents.
    All my live I spent it beeing overweight, I was overweight even at 7 years old... I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism and my parents decide not take me to a nutritionist because they didnt want to spend more than 30min in the kitchen.
    I resived alot of verbal abuse if I tried to leave the table before finishing the plate, even if I was full, even if the portions wher for adults.
    When I finished highschool, at 17, my boyfriend asked me to move in with him and his family, I did that, and in a couple of month of living with them I lose 20lbs, its beeing 3 years and I've lost around 60lbs... and still loosing

I love my parents, I just think I could have beeing more "normal" if they werent so lazy

(my english is horrible)

I am proud of you - your parents might have "made you fat" but you have made a change therefore you took control of your situation and you own it now!
  • mom2kpr
    mom2kpr Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    For about the 1st 10 year of being overweight, I blame my mom. Most 5 year olds don't know about nutrition. But since I was a teenager & learned how to cook & had learned the 90's version of what was healthy, I blame myself. Now at 40 something, I am still overweight & have absolutely no one to blame but myself for letting it continue this long.
  • TheMrsCole
    TheMrsCole Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I am pretty surprised! I expected to read this and everyone to blame others for their lack of self control! Glad so many proved me wrong!