Replies

• Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    :sick:
  • jim180155
    jim180155 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    Honestly - if you're looking for the protein, get a good protein powder. Or add peanut butter, or beans? I guess I wonder: why waste a good piece of chicken (that you could have at home for dinner, maybe?) when there are so many other ways to get fat and protein.

I'm using protein powder now, which accounts for about 20 of the 58 grams of protein in there. The rest of the protein is coming from pea pods, hemp seeds and miscellaneous things.

I just thought I might try meat instead of protein powder.
  • sjaplo
    sjaplo Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    My wife is manager of a 200 bed residential unit for the elderly, those in need of assisted living, and those with dementia. I helped serve Xmas dinner one year - this idea reminds me of what peoples food looked like plated. Nothing quite so unappealing as roast beef that has been put through a blender and made in to hash.

You'll have to drag me kicking and screaming...............
  • Hansonian
    Hansonian Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Personally, I wouldn't drink it but why not try it and see how it is? If you like it and it works for you, then great!

Otherwise, I'd invest in a good protein powder and save the meats for dinner.
  • Candi_land
    Candi_land Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    11al74x.gif
  • TaintedVampyre
    TaintedVampyre Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    It can't be worse than the time I threw a whole clove of garlic in my smoothie, can it?

You're adventurous, props. But I would never venture into the land of blended meats, unless it was a chicken salad sandwich loaded with mayo, on bread, non-blended.
  • jim180155
    Options
    And I did try beans once. I think that was the same smoothie as the garlic. I didn't know you were supposed to cook beans first, though. (Something about being bad for you, poison, dying, and stuff.)
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    My vote is go for it. Good to try stuff. Leave it in the blender for a while and it will be hot soup.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,641 Member
    Options
    pasturized liquified egg whites may be another option for adding protein to your smoothie. Textures kinda different (well, for a lot of us it's unusual anyway), but it's a pretty tasteless addition. Might add less sodium than canned or cooked chicken.
  • jim180155
    Options
    Personally, I wouldn't drink it but why not try it and see how it is? If you like it and it works for you, then great!

Otherwise, I'd invest in a good protein powder and save the meats for dinner.

That's my next thread. If I get my protein via a chicken smoothie, I was going to open another thread asking for a good recipe for faux steak made out of protein powder.
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    And I did try beans once. I think that was the same smoothie as the garlic. I didn't know you were supposed to cook beans first, though. (Something about being bad for you, poison, dying, and stuff.)

You put raw beans in a smoothie?
  • jim180155
    Options
    pasturized liquified egg whites may be another option for adding protein to your smoothie. Textures kinda different (well, for a lot of us it's unusual anyway), but it's a pretty tasteless addition. Might add less sodium than canned or cooked chicken.

That's not a bad idea. It's not like I have to worry about anyone stealing my smoothies at work, but that could guarantee tamper-proof smoothies forever.
  • jim180155
    Options

You put raw beans in a smoothie?

Yes, but I did not die.

BTW, even a Vitamix did not want to break those things down. They were like glass marbles.
  • _John_
    Options
    and if you're in a real pinch for time and need protein, it's safe to go "Rocky" on a carton of liquid egg whites...
  • jim180155
    Options
    and if you're in a real pinch for time and need protein, it's safe to go "Rocky" on a carton of liquid egg whites...

I don't think I could do that. It'd be like a 32 ounce oyster, where once it starts going down your throat, you can't stop it and have to wait for the full container to empty.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Bang one of these in the liquidiser, then!

chickeninacan3.jpg

20090430-cannedchicken-shloop.jpg
  • jim180155
    Options
    Ewww
  • _John_
    Options
    I want to try pumpkin pie protein powder with a can of pumpkin, some pumpkin pie spice, and some splenda....
  • jim180155
    Options
    I don't know about the other stuff, but pumpkin pie protein powder sounds like it could be good.
  • janicelo1971
    janicelo1971 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    I don't know about the other stuff, but pumpkin pie protein powder sounds like it could be good.

I agree!!