Running - am I only one who struggles ridiculously?

Options
124»

Replies

• running4myboys
    running4myboys Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the awesome feedback everyone! I think my biggest issue is that I get bored on the treadmill at home. I do much better outside or at the gym. I've recently moved farther away from my gym do I didn't renew my membership, but I miss it terribly!

I tried C25K and couldn't get passed week 4, then I got discouraged and stopped. I downloaded a new app last night "5K Runner" - looks like a more even progression.

It's finally spring here in Eastern Canada - I've been walking everyday.

I'm not giving up!

Good luck with the new app! When I got back to running after I broke my foot I was using interval training and that eventually bored me, so I just started running. Much better! But that's me and after I had done a few weeks of interval to get going again. Never judge a run by it's first mile. It takes a bit for your legs to warm up and your hearbeat to stabalize. Good luck!
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I feel like I'm in generally good shape. I am at a great weight/body fat level, I can kill it in martial arts or weight lifting, but it took me nearly a full year to be able to run a 5k in under 30 minutes (literally 29:55 is my best time). I did a belt test that was over 3 hours long and kicked serious *kitten*, and I can't manage to run faster than 6mph for HALF of ONE hour???

If you really care about doing the 5ks (color runs, and mud runs, and obstacle races oh my!) then just keep running. If you are only worried about general health/cardio conditioning, then find something that you enjoy more: biking, dancing (zumba, swing, salsa, pole, whatever), martial arts (added benefit of being able to protect yourself), hiking, trampoline, any sport (other than bowling and table tennis :-p), roller skating/blading, ice skating, swimming, spinning, jump rope, HIIT, boot camp class, .....
  • Autk79
    Autk79 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    :sad: I cant run at all. I can do any workout you throw at me. But ask me to run Id rather let go and fly off the treadmill lol

Maybe one day I will enjoy it
  • MrsB123111
    MrsB123111 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    Maybe you just don't enjoy running. I LOVE to work out, and I HATE to run. Try something else?

This. I am totally not a fan of running, despite multiple attempts. I have run two 5k's and hated every minute of both, as well as my training leading up to them.

I just don't like running! I'd much rather do any other form of cardiovascular activity!
  • Demi510
    Demi510 Posts: 3
    Options
    No, I struggled and struggled and struggled, glad I'm not the only one! I USED to be great at it...but eventually I was diagnosed with MS, so that explained it. SO! Either get a brain scan, or keep trying girl!!! Any improvement, no matter how small, is an improvement. You can do it!
  • shelliesv
    shelliesv Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Actually I can relate to you completely! After struggling like crazy I finally found out that I have exercise induced asthma exacerbated by thyroid medication that was too high of a dose. I'm still trying to get the thyroid meds adjust properly, but now with asthma medicines and the thyroid medicine getting closer to normal, its much easier! I firmly believe that once this is all in check, I will finally be able to do it!
  • sdonovan96
    sdonovan96 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I love to run but have to agree maybe it's not for you..

but if you think it is...why not try getting outside and doing it.. the TM is incredibly boring to me

^^^ Agreed. I hate walking/running on a treadmill. Getting outside in the fresh air make it much easier to keep up momentum. Try different routes and make it so the scenery changes. Good luck!
  • cuinboston2014
    cuinboston2014 Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    I am going to echo what a lot of other people said and if you don't like it, don't do it.

However, I hated running when I started and I hated it because I sucked and it was hard. Now, I can run pretty fast. I can run for 20 miles. I love treadmills. I love outside. I LOVE running.

I had surgery about 8 weeks ago or so though and was just cleared to run two weeks ago. Even when I was initially cleared I still had a lot of pain and the first week running was sporadic. It was better last week but apparently taking over 6 weeks off you don't just jump right back in day 1. Right now - I'm HATING running because it's so damn hard for me. I used to be running 8:40 minute miles and right now I'm around 10 minute miles. But I know that I will get back to the point where it can be easy so I keep pushing on. You have to know where that difference lies for you.

Not everyone wants to run. Not everyone is meant to run. I freaking hate biking. I hate it more than any form of exercise there is. I will go for leisurely bike rides with my family but that's it.

Do what you want :)
  • WJS_jeepster
    WJS_jeepster Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I totally agree - don't force yourself if you hate it. That said, can you find a really beautiful place outside to run and just enjoy the scenery or people watching even though you feel awful?

I used to live right by one of the most beautiful Minneapolis city lakes that has a 3 mile-ish paved path around it. Many days the only thing that got me out there was knowing I was going to see the lake.
  • running4myboys
    running4myboys Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I've noticed a lot of people talking about their speed. Your speed does not make you a runner. Run fast, run slow, who cares. I'm not the fastest chick on the block, but I've still run 6 half marathons and have signed up for my first full. I'm hoping to just finish and finish in the alotted time frame. If I'm last, I'm last, doesn't mater. I want to enjoy it. Making myself feel like I'm going to puke from running too fast is not the way to do it.
  • jenandhaiku
    Options
    Wow good for you to for trying and pushing yourself with asthma. My mother suffers from it so I know how challenging even walking can be when it flairs up. Great motivation!!
  • peter56765
    peter56765 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    In my experience, a lot of problems people have with running are due to pacing. Simply put: Slow down! You are not in a race, and even if you find yourself in one, you should be running for you, not to beat other people. Unfortunately, when running outside it's very hard to pace yourself so my advice is going to be the opposite of everyone else's: If you want to get into running, start on the treadmill. Find a pace you can do for 2 minutes straight without leaving you winded. Then up it to 5 minutes, then 8 minutes, then 10. Only once you can run for 10 minutes at time should you think about increasing your pace. And that should be done slowly too. Maybe in .2 to .5 MPH increments. Slowly keep increasing both duration and pace until you've found your sweet spot: a workout that gets your heart pumping but doesn't leave you exhausted.

Once you've trained for several weeks indoors, your body will be used to your pace and then you can try the outside. Before you go, map out your route so you know where the mile markers are. Avoid steep hills. This site is helpful: gmap-pedometer.com. Bring a watch and time yourself to make sure you are running at your pace.

To me, there's nothing as invigorating as running outside. I'd rather do that than be cooped up indoors gyrating to some silly routine. Everyone is different of course. The very best exercise in the world is the one you'll go back and do again.
  • Eric_DeCastro
    Eric_DeCastro Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    running isn't something you do, it's a relationship with it and your body. it's something that should come natural. at first (oct 2013) I couldn't run to the end of my block without gasping for air. yesterday I ran 6.6miles with a little more steam left. I can't tell you what made it click for me, but it's an obsession for me. I love running. I love everything about running. I love running shoes, the charms for my shoes (i have one that says 5K soon to be replaced with 10K) and I just bought wings for my shoes (shwings). I love fuel belts, bib holders, gps watches, I surround my self with runners and running in general. it's my passion. 6.6 miles isn't my longest so far but I'm just getting started. find your happy place. when you do, you won't want to quit.

good luck to you.