looking for nutritarian friends

Options

Replies

• jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I think it means eating at least 90% plant foods. And 10% animal products like meat, milk, eggs.

That's a very different definition than the one that OP (or someone else?) offered on page one.

Perhaps this is like "paleo" where there are drastically different definitions/interpretations of it.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    Hi. I want to lose weight and be healthy. I guess healthy is the top priority. If anyone is interested in the nutritarian lifestyle or is already living that way and wants support add me. I want to hear what recipes you enjoy or what short cuts you use to prepare foods. Stuff like that. I am not interested in eating junk food in smaller portions as part of my regular diet, but occasionally I have no problem with it.

I've had chocolate pudding made out of white beans, and thought it tasted great, so welcome recipes like that.
    OP feel free to add me. I don't follow *his* book, but I do try to build my diet around nutrient dense vegetables, lean proteins, nuts, seeds, fruits, and a few whole grains and a bit of dairy. I try to focus on whole foods as much as possible. There is also a group here of nutritarians.

Why *lean* proteins? What do you have against dietary fat?
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I think it means eating at least 90% plant foods. And 10% animal products like meat, milk, eggs.

That's a very different definition than the one that OP (or someone else?) offered on page one.

Perhaps this is like "paleo" where there are drastically different definitions/interpretations of it.

My interpretation is what it says in the link.
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    Why does everything have to have an -arian suffix?

rastafarians: those who only eat rastaf.
    agrarians: those who only eat dry economic reports.
    octogenarians: those who only eat people in their 80's.

pastafarians only eat pasta?
    I'm a human-at-arian

lol... I was just wondering what humanitarians eat :noway:
    "It's easy for a werewolf to be a vegetarian by day. The trick is not to become a humanitarian by night." - Terry Pratchett, paraphrased.
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options
    This is what it said in the link: "Nutritarians eat a diet rich in fruits, vegetables, nuts, seeds, onions, mushrooms, whole grains, beans, and berries, and particularly consume leafy greens, which are the most nutrient-dense foods. A nutritarian strives to consume at least 90% of their diet from these foods. "
  • jofjltncb6
    Options

What link? This one? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nutritarian where I see no reference to 10% re animal products.

Either way, I still argue that there now appear to be *at least* two distinct definitions/interpretations of the word...as evidenced by posts in this very thread.

Perhaps Dr. Fuhrman will jump in and clarify (since it's apparently his made-up word).

ETA: And I'll put my family-farm-raised beef liver up against the nutritional profile of any fruit or vegetable.
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options
    In the quote above you it said what 90% came from, so simple math is where the 10% came from.
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options

What link? This one? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nutritarian where I see no reference to 10% re animal products.

Either way, I still argue that there now appear to be *at least* two distinct definitions/interpretations of the word...as evidenced by posts in this very thread.

Perhaps Dr. Fuhrman will jump in and clarify.

unintentional pun?

the guy is a nutter. he once went 46 days ingesting nothing but water in an attempt to cure a heel injury because he didn't want to undergo surgery on it.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    Liz-Lemon-Nope-Hipster-Nonsense-30-Rock.gif
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    In the quote above you it said what 90% came from, so simple math is where the 10% came from.

Ah, good catch. I stand corrected. (ETA: this is what I get for trying to forum between sets.)

Okay, *now* I can go back to challenging the diet itself instead of my incorrect belief that there were multiple interpretations of what it means.

(Although now I'm curious...is that 90% by weight? By calories? By volume? I suppose I'd have to read the book to know for sure.)
  • jofjltncb6
    Options

unintentional pun?

the guy is a nutter. he once went 46 days ingesting nothing but water in an attempt to cure a heel injury because he didn't want top undergo surgery on it.

Not surprising. It's actually surprising to me when a diet book/nutrition author *isn't* batcrap crazy.
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options

Ah, good catch. I stand corrected.

Okay, *now* I can go back to challenging the diet itself instead of my incorrect belief that there were multiple interpretations of what it means.

(Although now I'm curious...is that 90% by weight? By calories? By volume? I suppose I'd have to read the book to know for sure.)

:flowerforyou:
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options

unintentional pun?

the guy is a nutter. he once went 46 days ingesting nothing but water in an attempt to cure a heel injury because he didn't want top undergo surgery on it.

total biology fail *facepalm*

but now I'm curious as to what actual beliefs he held at the time that made that seem like a logical way to treat a heel injury
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options

unintentional pun?

total biology fail *facepalm*

but now I'm curious as to what actual beliefs he held at the time that made that seem like a logical way to treat a heel injury

who knows? i can't imagine anyone with half a brain would go along withy 46 days of ingesting nothing but water as a way of curing a heel injury though. :laugh:

http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/your-disease-your-fault/
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    Me!!!!! Plant based here!!!!! Open diary!!!!!

Only thing I won't give up is my Greek yogurt :) and hot cocoa and Stevia

Other than those things plant based all the way I even make my own peanut butter no added sugars :)

Do you seriously frequently eat <50g of protein daily??? And frequently <20g fat???

Egads.

In addition to worrying about the damage you have done in the past (per your motto on your profile page), you may also want to give some strong consideration about the present and future.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Hi. I want to lose weight and be healthy. I guess healthy is the top priority. If anyone is interested in the nutritarian lifestyle or is already living that way and wants support add me. I want to hear what recipes you enjoy or what short cuts you use to prepare foods. Stuff like that. I am not interested in eating junk food in smaller portions as part of my regular diet, but occasionally I have no problem with it.

I've had chocolate pudding made out of white beans, and thought it tasted great, so welcome recipes like that.
    OP feel free to add me. I don't follow *his* book, but I do try to build my diet around nutrient dense vegetables, lean proteins, nuts, seeds, fruits, and a few whole grains and a bit of dairy. I try to focus on whole foods as much as possible. There is also a group here of nutritarians.

I didn't say I had anything "against" dietary fat. I eat what suits me at this time of my life. I get plenty of fat.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    I've always considered myself a pizzatarian with tacotarian proclivities.
    This !!##
    Love it!!
  • jofjltncb6
    Options

I didn't say I had anything "against" dietary fat. I eat what suits me at this time of my life. I get plenty of fat.

I guess we'll have to take your word for it.

(Meanwhile, perhaps you could share some of your "plenty of [dietary] fat" ideas w/ those who think <20g is sufficient.)
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

I guess we'll have to take your word for it.

(Meanwhile, perhaps you could share some of your "plenty of [dietary] fat" ideas w/ those who think <20g is sufficient.)
    I don't think it matters if you "take my word for it" or not, actually. And nope, I'll let those folks do what they see fit. cheers. I think we've hijacked this nice lady's thread far enough.:drinker: