Walking + eating cleaner only?

Options
I'm just curious to see if anyone has had a lot of success doing walking/eating better. How much did you lose? How often would you walk? And for everyone who says you need to do strength training, I'm not looking to do anything intense or heavy right and I have been told to do at least 10,000 steps a day (which I currently get nowhere close to).

Replies

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    A lot of people suggest strength training but even most of those don't say it is all you need.
    All you need is a calorie deficit to lose weight. Exercise (either weights or cardio) has other benefits and can help create a deficit, but you can create one even without it.

If eating "cleaner" leads to you consuming less calories than your body needs then you will lose weight. Walking is a fine exercise
  • benefiting
    benefiting Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    A lot of people suggest strength training but even most of those don't say it is all you need.
    All you need is a calorie deficit to lose weight. Exercise (either weights or cardio) has other benefits and can help create a deficit, but you can create one even without it.

If eating "cleaner" leads to you consuming less calories than your body needs then you will lose weight. Walking is a fine exercise

I understand all that but I'm not looking at calorie counting or deficits anymore. I'm looking towards eating raw foods and meat and doing walking and seeing how I go with that.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

I understand all that but I'm not looking at calorie counting or deficits anymore. I'm looking towards eating raw foods and meat and doing walking and seeing how I go with that.

you are not going to cook any meat any more????? You will probably lose a lot of weight from food poisoning...

IMO this sounds like torture…why not eat the foods you like, maintain a calorie deficit, and walk/move more?

Do you really think eating raw meat and foods is a long term solution?
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options

And as I said, if that diet change ends up with you consuming less calories than your body needs you will lose weight. If you eat too many calories "clean" food, you will not lose weight. It is not dependant on calorie counting. Calorie counting ensures that you are in a deficit, but there are other ways to achieve that. Many people see results on restrictive diets because they eliminate the type of food we tend to overeat, resulting in us having a deficit. We just didn't count the calories to get there. Unfortunately that doesn't work all the time, some people will replace the foods they over ate before with new foods that they are allowed ot eat.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    i am still confused about the "raw meat" part….
  • benefiting
    Options

you are not going to cook any meat any more????? You will probably lose a lot of weight from food poisoning...

IMO this sounds like torture…why not eat the foods you like, maintain a calorie deficit, and walk/move more?

I'm not stupid. Of course I'm going to cook my meat. You just read raw foods and meat as a whole rather than two separate things and yes, I do see eating raw food and meat as a long term thing. It will be hard to transfer into that state of mind and lifestyle but I'm giving it a shot. I know some people may not agree to it but each to their own.
  • ndj1979
    Options

I'm not stupid. Of course I'm going to cook my meat. You just read raw foods and meat as a whole rather than two separate things and yes, I do see eating raw food and meat as a long term thing. It will be hard to transfer into that state of mind and lifestyle but I'm giving it a shot. I know some people may not agree to it but each to their own.

OK…just an FYI for you when you link two things together and put an adjective in front of them it usually means that you are combining them..

If I say that I like to work out and run that implies that I am doing both of them. So when you said (and you still did in your reply) "I'm looking towards eating raw vegetables AND meat" that implies that you are going to eat raw vegetable and meat….

just saying…

and good luck to you on your journey ...
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    And now we've learned the importance of proper punctuation.
  • benefiting
    Options

And as I said, if that diet change ends up with you consuming less calories than your body needs you will lose weight. If you eat too many calories "clean" food, you will not lose weight. It is not dependant on calorie counting. Calorie counting ensures that you are in a deficit, but there are other ways to achieve that. Many people see results on restrictive diets because they eliminate the type of food we tend to overeat, resulting in us having a deficit. We just didn't count the calories to get there. Unfortunately that doesn't work all the time, some people will replace the foods they over ate before with new foods that they are allowed ot eat.

I'm fully aware that eating too many clean foods can also make you gain weight and that eating less than 1200 calories is bad for your body but if I'm having regular size portions and healthy snacks in between I don't think I'll have to worry. I'm not dieting, I'm trying a new lifestyle. If my body gives me signs of needing to eat more or eat less than I'll know to do so. :)
  • benefiting
    Options

OK…just an FYI for you when you link two things together and put an adjective in front of them it usually means that you are combining them..

If I say that I like to work out and run that implies that I am doing both of them. So when you said (and you still did in your reply) "I'm looking towards eating raw vegetables AND meat" that implies that you are going to eat raw vegetable and meat….

just saying…

and good luck to you on your journey ...

Oh... well excuse that. I'm not 100% accurate with my grammar.
  • benefiting
    Options

I would of thought it was grammar rather than punctuation...
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options

I'm fully aware that eating too many clean foods can also make you gain weight and that eating less than 1200 calories is bad for your body but if I'm having regular size portions and healthy snacks in between I don't think I'll have to worry. I'm not dieting, I'm trying a new lifestyle. If my body gives me signs of needing to eat more or eat less than I'll know to do so. :)

Then I guess I don't know what the question is.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    I've never tried eating "clean" or eating only raw foods, but I had a lot of success at losing weight with a calorie deficit, with waling as my only form of exercise. I started being a lot happier with my body composition when I added in resistance training, and a lot happier in general when I added in running. Neither was necessary for my weight loss though.
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options

But I like cooking my family and video games.
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    24 lbs since Jan 1st - eating better and walking only - frequency is erratic - sometimes 5-6 times per week sometimes 1-2 :flowerforyou:
  • benefiting
    Options
    I've never tried eating "clean" or eating only raw foods, but I had a lot of success at losing weight with a calorie deficit, with waling as my only form of exercise. I started being a lot happier with my body composition when I added in resistance training, and a lot happier in general when I added in running. Neither was necessary for my weight loss though.

I plan on running later on when my ankles and knee have healed. :)
  • benefiting
    Options
    24 lbs since Jan 1st - eating better and walking only - frequency is erratic - sometimes 5-6 times per week sometimes 1-2 :flowerforyou:

Thanks love and well done so far! Keep it up! :):flowerforyou:
  • kptorbett
    Options
    I got a Fitbit Monday of this week and started walking and eating "clean" on Tuesday. I do 10,000 steps a day- I am mainly able to meet that goal because I take a two mile brisk walk around the neighborhood with my dog every day. By doing this, I have already dropped some quick pounds. Probably so many this week because it is my first week at it, but I am seeing results. Walking burns calories and, if done right, gets your heart rate up, so it is a good exercise. Go for it!
    I should mention, though, that I also track my calories on MFP and stay at my 1260 goal daily.
  • benefiting
    Options
    I got a Fitbit Monday of this week and started walking and eating "clean" on Tuesday. I do 10,000 steps a day- I am mainly able to meet that goal because I take a two mile brisk walk around the neighborhood with my dog every day. By doing this, I have already dropped some quick pounds. Probably so many this week because it is my first week at it, but I am seeing results. Walking burns calories and, if done right, gets your heart rate up, so it is a good exercise. Go for it!
    I should mention, though, that I also track my calories on MFP and stay at my 1260 goal daily.

Awesome! Keep it up! I'm going probably get a Fitbit soon too, so I can see how many steps I've done, etc but I want to get into the swing of it before getting one. ^^