Person called me fat at the gym!

Options
I went to the gym today and was on the elliptical and a man came up to me and told me I look like I was about to break the machine. I asked him what he meant and he told me a person my size should not be using expensive equipment and that his gym membership fees were contributing to fat people like me breaking gym equipment. I don't feel like ever going back to the gym. Has anyone ever had a similar problem?

Replies

• glitterstreet
    Options
    You should ask him how he made it to the gym because if he is so stupid it is surprising he could find his way..That is bullying and it is not acceptable. No one should comment on anyone trying to make improvements in their health, no matter what their size is. No, that has not happened to me but I am very sorry that this has happened to you. Don't let this bully win, go back and use the same machine again. I would have gone straight away and reported it, but if he does it again go and tell management and hopefully he will be kicked out.
  • Hammybone
    Hammybone Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    You should report this incident to your gym's management.
  • Sinisterly
    Sinisterly Posts: 10,913 Member
    Options
    Should have reported it right away.
  • C3001
    C3001 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry that you had to experience that! Report him is right. My suggestion for you is to KNOW that you are such a more awesome person than that dude! Next time you see him at the gym, make sure to smile and go say hello. Introduce yourself shake his hand and let him know you missed his name last time you were fortunate enough to chat with him. Report said name but kill 'em with kindness. Usually the real jerks gets super confused by people not responding to their bully confrontations.
  • Maleficent0241
    Maleficent0241 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Wow, someone wouldn't have any functioning testicles left if they came and said that to me.

If you see him there again, I would still report him. That is beyond unacceptable.
  • Ainar
    Ainar Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    I don't feel like ever going back to the gym. Has anyone ever had a similar problem?
    Yep... in high school, not in that kind of setting tho. Bullies gonna bull if you let them. Yes, the guy is an *kitten* but it's your fault non the less that you just let him talk like that to yourself and not do anything about it. Report him to your gym at least.
  • cpcoursec
    cpcoursec Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    11:25 on a Saturday night, low post history...I'm calling BS.
  • Nicolee_2014
    Nicolee_2014 Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options

I thought the same...But, then again, it could be legit.
  • cpcoursec
    cpcoursec Posts: 82 Member
    Options

They allegedly went to the gym today...not tonight. If that really happened and they were that upset they would of posted earlier. Also, you join a gym trying to get healthy, you have been working out and this is your second post?

Go with your gut instinct...not legit.

ETA: He writes "and a man walked up to me." that's a girl talking. As a guy, you would write...and another guy said to me....or, some dude said to me...
  • Hammybone
    Hammybone Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    ETA: He writes "and a man walked up to me." that's a girl talking. As a guy, you would write...and another guy said to me....or, some dude said to me...

How is it you know these things?
  • Ainar
    Ainar Posts: 858 Member
    Options

I would write as OP did... Oh damn! I guess that means I am a girl?! OMG! Holy crap! Thank you for enlightening me! It turns out I've been living in lie all my life!
  • Shropshire1959
    Shropshire1959 Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    You should have decked the ****!
  • MysteriousLdy
    MysteriousLdy Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I went to the gym today and was on the elliptical and a man came up to me and told me I look like I was about to break the machine. I asked him what he meant and he told me a person my size should not be using expensive equipment and that his gym membership fees were contributing to fat people like me breaking gym equipment. I don't feel like ever going back to the gym. Has anyone ever had a similar problem?

Yeah..when I had my health checkup ,back in year 2011(at 242-250lbs,I assumed) I had to run on treadmill as well as blood tests taken. On the day my health report was out, I went to see my own cardiac doctor for the review of my report ( I work in hospital)

First thing he asked me was "Did the treadmill machine broke when you run on it?" I was speechless, but I kept it cool and just smiled at him. No one knew how hurt that words meant to me.

That's where I gathered all my courage and determined to lose weight and be healthy. So far I did it successfully, managed to shed more than 50lbs, halfway to my goal now
  • MystikPixie
    MystikPixie Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Nobody is above a swift kick in the balls. Just sayin.
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options

They allegedly went to the gym today...not tonight. If that really happened and they were that upset they would of posted earlier. Also, you join a gym trying to get healthy, you have been working out and this is your second post?

different time zones dumbass. the population of the entire world doesn't live in your time zone. as far as how he composed his topic, WTF are you talking about? he's a young kid (22), it's not at all uncommon - regardless of age - for one man to refer to another man as, well, a man. lol. get your head out of your *kitten*.
  • Shropshire1959
    Shropshire1959 Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Nobody is above a swift kick in the balls. Just sayin.

^^damned straight!
  • zeal26
    zeal26 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    What a stupid *kitten*. I'm sorry you had to deal with that. Report it to the gym and keep on going there- clearly HE'S the one with the problem. No decent human being would act like that to another person.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options

yeah because of course everyone in the whole world lives in the same time zone as you and uses language in the exact same way that people do where you live....

I know plenty of men who's refer to another man as "a man" seeing as that's the standard term for an adult male human, and as his location isn't on his profile you have no idea what time of day it is where he lives.

OP: report it, that's just totally effing rude, this is definitely not a case of you being oversensitive (not like all the "backhanded compliment" threads on this site) and he's probably said it to a bunch of other people as well because that's how people like him tend to operate.
  • teenyjem
    teenyjem Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    1, Report him. It is totally unacceptable.
    2, Keep on it. You will get there. Do NOT stop going. Stick to your routine. These things happen (unfortunately) and these are the times that will be the ultimate test for you.
    3, Remember, He who laughs last, laughs longest. Karma will come back and bite this loser on the *kitten*.

I know what it is like to have horrid things said to me, but I know I am better than these bullies.
    Keep on. Do not stop or this idiot who said this would have won. And we don't want that.

T xx
  • brevislux
    brevislux Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Tell the staff, this man should be kicked out.