what foods to you AVOID/LIVE BY??

Options
Just keen to know what foods/products you avoid or foods you eat everyday? and why?

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    There is nothing I avoid really...

I eat greek yogurt everyday, chocolate (in some form), always have protien and lots of it (or as much as I can get in)
  • Tigermum9
    Tigermum9 Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    stef, I take it you have willpower then if you dont restrict yourself? (lend me some!!)
  • sun_fish
    sun_fish Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    I only avoid food I don't like.

I eat peanut butter everyday. And chocolate. But not together!

Edit to add: I forgot the "why" part of your question. I found if I restricted foods that I like, I would eventually binge. I now subscribe to the approach of eat a nutritious diet that will help me reach my macro goals, while leaving some room for "treats". I do not look at food as good or bad, rather there may be food I eat that is more nutritious than other food. Keeps me sane!
  • Tigermum9
    Options
    I think where I go wrong is that I restrict myself too much x
  • firefoxxie
    firefoxxie Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I'm actually pretty good with fitting in high-calorie favorite foods. The only ones I have a trouble with are my mom's puddings, cakes, baklava, turkish pide and her stuffed grape leave wraps. Luckily for me, she only makes them on the holidays! I will only make an exception to eat them for one day and that's it. If she made them constantly, I would be in big trouble.

I things like eggs, oatmeal, bananas everyday because they taste good, fill me up, and I don't get sick of it.
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    stef, I take it you have willpower then if you dont restrict yourself? (lend me some!!)

I guess it's called that...I just stay within my goal (most of the time) so I can finally get this weight off and hit maintenance.

But knowing I can eat what I want (just in smaller portions) makes it easier for me to stick to a lower calorie goal without feel deprived. It also means I make different choices as well tho...if I want chicken strips (IE fast food) I make sure I get a salad with it instead of French fries so I can eat them all...or if I don't have the space I can put it off for one day...

If I felt I couldn't eat Pizza or ice cream or chocolate that would be what I would want all the time but since I eat it when I am really craving it...I find I don't crave it as much.
  • Bounce4
    Bounce4 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I avoid things like pop, Gatorade, and juice unless I truly truly want one. I haven't had one in months. Same with alcohol.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    I eat plenty of meat and vegetables, fish, higher fiber breads, fruit, milk, some protein powder, yogurt and beans. I mix in some ice cream, donuts, beer, wine, and whiskey.
  • zeal26
    zeal26 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    The only thing I avoid is Pringles because I will never have self control around them. However, it's been about 4 months since I've had any and I don't even really want them anymore. I don't restrict anything else - I simply adjusted the amount I was eating. I have ice cream most nights, for example.

Foods I eat pretty much every day:

Oatmeal
    String cheese
    Berries
    Kiwi
    Pineapple
    Clementines
    Jelly (jello)
    Carrots
    Broccoli
    Peas
    Sweetcorn
    Homemade veg soup
  • Sreneesa
    Sreneesa Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    I eat fage 0 greek yogurt(23 grams), chocolate protein powder(30 grams) everyday for protein reasons. If I didn't eat both I wouldn't come near macro or even hit over 100 grams.
  • Skrib69
    Skrib69 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    Well, I have porridge for breakfast most mornings mainly because it is quick, easy, and I can't be bothered to make a decision at that time of day. I have to have Marmite in the house and eat it at least 4 times a week otherwise I miss it. I avoid cheese because I just love cheese and could live of it and Marmite if need be, but cheese is the food of the devil so I can't have it too often otherwise I have trouble putting it back in the fridge and blow my calories for the day. I used to avoid chocolate and crisps because most of the time they are just not worth it, but I have now learnt moderation (the same with a lot of foods to be honest!).

Other than that I pretty much eat what I want when I want, with the required amount of moderation!
  • SezxyStef
    Options

that is very possible..I often say that when we "restrict" our favorties it's almost a form of punishment for being over weight...

Mind you I was telling my husband this weekend (after attending a few social gatherings) that I refuse to spend my summer gaining weight due to drinking...so I have to definately make good choices with those...
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options

my personal experience is that if I ban myself from eating certain foods, those foods become "forbidden foods" and about 100x more desirable. This then leads to pigging out on them when I get the chance, i.e. instead of just stopping at one serving, I end up eating the whole pack.

When I gave myself permission to eat just whatever I want, and not make the distinction between "good" foods and "bad" foods (which is a false dichotomy) then a lot of foods that I used to think were OMG GOTTA EAT (mustn't eat, bad food!) lost their appeal. These days I eat what I want to eat, i just adjust the portion size to fit my calorie goal. I don't eat the so called "bad" foods 24/7... mostly I eat foods that people consider "healthy" because I focus on getting enough protein, vitamins, minerals etc, then after that I eat whatever I fancy. But the result is I don't find it hard to stay within my calorie goal* and I get to enjoy all the foods i want to eat.

*occasionally I choose to go over goal, because of some social event or something, but this is a choice and it's not something that's harmful for long term progress provided it's done in moderation. i.e. not every day. but every now and then it's good.
  • Bounce4
    Bounce4 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I do not restrict any foods really but I do know that if I want - say M&M's - I should go to the store and buy one single bag and eat it or share it. If I have a giant bag in my cupboard to eat 10 M&M's a day - well - that is probably a giant bag of M&M's eaten in one or two days. My will power ebbs and flows depending on outside circumstances and I know this so I just try and watch what I have lying around. Some things don't bother me - other things I can't stop and/or it takes up all the space in my head even if I don't eat it so just not worth it.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    i avoid nothing….unless I do not like it...
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    i eat cheese everyday cos i love it and i can

i avoid anything with table sugar added to it and limit natural sugars purely because i dont enjoy the effects of dumping syndrome
  • Tigermum9
    Options
    I avoid things like pop, Gatorade, and juice unless I truly truly want one. I haven't had one in months. Same with alcohol.

what is gatorade? is this like an energy drink?
  • Tigermum9
    Options
    The only thing I avoid is Pringles because I will never have self control around them. However, it's been about 4 months since I've had any and I don't even really want them anymore. I don't restrict anything else - I simply adjusted the amount I was eating. I have ice cream most nights, for example.

Foods I eat pretty much every day:

Oatmeal
    String cheese
    Berries
    Kiwi
    Pineapple
    Clementines
    Jelly (jello)
    Carrots
    Broccoli
    Peas
    Sweetcorn
    Homemade veg soup

I attempted a home made veg soup today...wasnt that tasty lol...recipe?? x
  • Tigermum9
    Options

my personal experience is that if I ban myself from eating certain foods, those foods become "forbidden foods" and about 100x more desirable. This then leads to pigging out on them when I get the chance, i.e. instead of just stopping at one serving, I end up eating the whole pack.

When I gave myself permission to eat just whatever I want, and not make the distinction between "good" foods and "bad" foods (which is a false dichotomy) then a lot of foods that I used to think were OMG GOTTA EAT (mustn't eat, bad food!) lost their appeal. These days I eat what I want to eat, i just adjust the portion size to fit my calorie goal. I don't eat the so called "bad" foods 24/7... mostly I eat foods that people consider "healthy" because I focus on getting enough protein, vitamins, minerals etc, then after that I eat whatever I fancy. But the result is I don't find it hard to stay within my calorie goal* and I get to enjoy all the foods i want to eat.

*occasionally I choose to go over goal, because of some social event or something, but this is a choice and it's not something that's harmful for long term progress provided it's done in moderation. i.e. not every day. but every now and then it's good.

I agree 100% thank you
  • CarolinkaCjj
    CarolinkaCjj Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    I avoid putting snacks next to my chair - if I want something, I should get off my butt and get it. I avoid purchasing chips and other salty fatty snacks because I tend to eat them "mindlessly"
    Things I eat nearly every day: Citrus fruit, yogurt, prunes (sorry, I love them), carrots, apples. And string cheese - how could I forget?