Do you ever decline friend requests?

Options
If someone sends you a friend request but their profile is closed (except to friends) do you automatically accept or do you pass? I've noticed that my best MFP friends have open-to-friends diaries and profiles, like me. I don't necessarily need to be friends with someone my age or same sex...my friends are all over the place with age, for sure LOL But if someone friends me on MFP, it's nice to know where they're coming from with their weight loss story, their challenges, etc.

On that same note, when you see a profile with virtually nothing filled in, does that influence your friend approvals?

Just wondering how everyone sees friend requests here. I'm not into a popularity contest...just want to have good friends that can support each other every day.

Replies

• cholepapi
    cholepapi Posts: 79
    Options
    My view: We all need support and many will close diaries because their not ready just yet to share. I think this MFP is a steeping stone for a better healthy life.
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    My view: We all need support and many will close diaries because their not ready just yet to share. I think this MFP is a steeping stone for a better healthy life.

I agree. New people sign up every day and others are still getting use to the board. I wouldn't reject any friends. I won't judge them one way or the other for not sharing their information. I just want all of them to meet their goals and be happy.
  • knitapeace
    knitapeace Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    I've only declined one friend request and that was because I couldn't find any thread we had posted in together, and when I looked at his list of current friends they were 99% face shots or body shots of pretty females. I won't say I wasn't flattered to be included, but it made me feel weird to be part of a "collection" so I just clicked decline.
  • wolfsbayne
    wolfsbayne Posts: 3,116 Member
    Options
    I don't send FR, so I accept all of the ones I get.
  • EmmieBaby
    EmmieBaby Posts: 1,235 Member
    Options
    I only accept the ones that have a picture and a have their profiles filled out.

so like I never accept invites from like "Iwannalose224801y418" with no profile details and no profile pic
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    All of the time...

When I first started I accepted them all and ended up with more people than I could ever conceivably interact with. My FL is still too big but I try not to delete anyone unless it's been awhile since they've logged in...but really, I only interact with a handful of people on my FL and it's usually either just goofing around or to chat about lifting or cycling.

I don't accept any FR without a message (my profile says so...if they didn't send a message then they didn't read my profil and thus have no idea what I'm all about or if we even have any common goals, etc)...
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    I accept most, but have declined a few. My friends list has grown here lately, and I now request that people write a little note...just tell me how you found me, why you want to be friends, something like that. If someone doesn't write a note, I'll see if we have mutual friends or try to look back through their posts and see if we were chatting a thread. If none of the above, I'll usually decline. If someone looks like a creeper, I'll decline.
  • iRun_Butterfly
    iRun_Butterfly Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I usually accept everyone, but for those who have a closed profile, once I've accepted them I'll do a quick scan. If they don't seem like someone I'd interact with or they have a lot of whiny drama in their posts then they usually get deleted just as quickly as they were accepted.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    None yet.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    If someone sends you a friend request but their profile is closed (except to friends) do you automatically accept or do you pass?

Depends...if I've seen that person around the forums or that person is friends with some of my friends, I'll most likely accept. No message/private profile/fake pic almost always results in a denial. There are just too many weirds out there that I don't want having access to my information/pics.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I have never declined a friend request, but I have 100+ requests that I have simply not answered at all. I don't really have any criteria for friends, I just accept of something about them moves me to do so.

But, a friend request without a message or a very vague message and profile not available probably won't get accepted. I like a small friends list anyway. I don't know how I could keep up with 100 friends.
  • chelstakencharge
    chelstakencharge Posts: 1,021 Member
    Options
    My friends on here are all over the place, literally and in their weight loss journeys. I tend to decline if they can't send a simple message with a request. I just think that is common courtesy.
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    I'm comfortable with my friends list as-is so I decline pretty much everything that comes my way anymore (even though my friends list is "small" compared to some others!). The only times I bend the rule is if there is a message included that is really relevant to me or a shared situation. But if you just FR me because you like my dog, I'm going to decline :laugh:
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    If somebody sends me a friend request, I don't go to see if their diaries are open or closed. If there is no note as to why they ask, what they think we might have in common, but just the bare request, I always decline. If they say they're super chatty or express the need to constantly give and recieve support and motivation, I decline, as I don't have time for that.
  • CassandraBurgos83
    CassandraBurgos83 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    No...but I should have been denying them.
  • funforsports
    funforsports Posts: 2,656 Member
    Options
    I decline from time to time.
  • thebigcb
    thebigcb Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    I always accept. Open to all

And most people deaactiavte, stop logging etc
  • Najay
    Najay Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I decline all the time. If a person has too many friends, I just see why they need more support. If a person is under 21, I will not accept them. Or if I just don't have a good feeling about them I will decline the request. Guess I'm picky.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I like to keep my friends list managable to the point I can remember everyone, and follow them.
    I have a note in my profile requesting a message with a friend request. I like to know how you found me, why you are interested and what we might have in common. I have no problem having friends with other interests and views but I want some sort of connection.
    Locked diaries do not matter to me.
    I don't always decline the ones without messages, but if there is a locked profile, no message and I have no idea where they came from, I probably will.
    I don't accept from friend collectors.
    This is also my place to unwind and get away. I have a stressful job IRL and I just can't do the support thing for people with major issues. I'd like to, there are plenty here who are willing, but I just can't. Everyone has a bad day, that's find, but constant crisis is not something I can do here. Call me what you want, but that's how I feel. Its nothing against the person, it is just not something I can deal with here.
    Oh, and if you are selling something, decline.

So yeah, I decline friend requests.
  • Gamer_2k4
    Gamer_2k4 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Always. I'm using this to track my calories, not to make friends, and if I can't motivate myself, having a ton of "friends" isn't going to help. My only MFP friend is my fiancee, and I don't see that changing anytime soon.