Do you ever decline friend requests?

Options

Replies

• Timelordlady85
    Timelordlady85 Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    I have never declined anyone as of yet but I do prefer accepting people with open diaries and filled out profiles.
  • Pirate_chick
    Pirate_chick Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    I accept anyone that wants to be my friend. I do prefer a quick message when people send a request, but don't decline if they don't.

ETA: but if they turn out to be whiny, woe is me types, fad diet pushers, or become inactive for over a month I delete them.
  • Bernadette60614
    Bernadette60614 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    My profile says: Please do not be offended, but I'm only accepting friend requests from vegans, vegetarians or those following a whole foods approach.

If someone's request doesn't confirm that they follow those approaches, the reason that I didn't accept is explained in my profile.

I like having a small number of friends who are supportive and who I get to "know". Our little group not only talks about what we are eating/exercising, but also family matters, emotions and motivation.
  • sarahg148
    sarahg148 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    All of the time...

When I first started I accepted them all and ended up with more people than I could ever conceivably interact with. My FL is still too big but I try not to delete anyone unless it's been awhile since they've logged in...but really, I only interact with a handful of people on my FL and it's usually either just goofing around or to chat about lifting or cycling.

I don't accept any FR without a message (my profile says so...if they didn't send a message then they didn't read my profil and thus have no idea what I'm all about or if we even have any common goals, etc)...

^^^^This exactly!
  • tomwatso
    tomwatso Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    Yes I do.
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    I've only declined one person ever, and that was because after reading their profile I knew we wouldn't get along, and they would end up deleting me anyway.
  • sunnyside1213
    sunnyside1213 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    I never decline, but if they go two weeks without logging, they are deleted. I don't want friends who aren't serious about this lifestyle.
  • Losing_Sarah
    Losing_Sarah Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I have a closed profile for those who aren't my friends just because that is how I prefer it. While I use MFP and other social media sites I like to have a little bit of privacy.

That being said, I don't ever decline friend requests that have closed profiles. Once I accept a request I just check out their profile. I have, however, removed a friend after looking at their profile, and a couple times removed friends at later dates for various reasons.

I think it's great that some folk are very open, but some people just want a little privacy for their own reasons. A closed diary doesn't mean someone can't give support in other ways.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    I deny them for all those reasons. I have one guy who keeps sending them in after I deny it, he is relentless. I just dislike friend collectors, they send out random requests to people just to have 9000 friends but don't actually communicate with anyone.
  • daw0518
    daw0518 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I accept pretty much all requests, and delete people if they get creepy or try to sell me stuff. I rejected one request because it had 'herbalife' in the username, and we had never been in contact before. No thank you!

I also go through after awhile & delete people who haven't been on in several weeks or months. Sometimes I feel bad because I know I was on MFP for years before ACTUALLY utilizing it, but honestly it just drives me crazy to have 200 friends when only 30 of them actually use the site.
  • jenschroll
    jenschroll Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I've declined only one, but that was because the person was spamming me right off the bat in their FR message.
  • askeates
    askeates Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    If I get a request from someone I don't recognize as having seen somewhere on the message boards, or on a friends wall posts.... and if they don't send a message with the request, I will absolutely turn them down. I'm not a collector, and want to be able to get to know my FL peeps, so I don't want the FL getting out of hand.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    I accept lots of requests from women (pretty much anyone with similar goals); however, I decline all requests from men. It's not personal (and I have lots of guy friends in real life) but I just feel funny about it online for some reason. I don't think my boyfriend would even care necessarily, but I figure if I feel weird about it there's no need to do it. And I've gotten enough messages that cross the line to feel validated in my choice, honestly.

Plus, most women on my friends list have similar goals/weights/diets to my own, compared to most of the guys who request.

So, yeah. There are lots of great, supportive men here, but I get all the help I need from the ladies on my FL and none of the flirty messages, so my blanket policy stands.
  • TwirleySlims
    Options
    I accept friend requests & try to support the best I can, if you want to add me, feel free :D
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    I decline them all the time, because they are blank.
  • amandarunning
    amandarunning Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    What's a friend request :sad:

:laugh:
  • Pangea250
    Pangea250 Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    I accept every friend request. But I do feel free to delete liberally, especially when all I see are posts about sex.
  • edisonsbulb
    edisonsbulb Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I don't mind a closed profile. But

If there is no note: decline
    If a note has words but says nothing: decline
    If there is some indication you just collect friends: decline
    If you wear Crocs: decline
    If I've heard you're bad in bed: decline :wink:
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,671 Member
    Options
    Nope. I look at every one as someone who wants to learn or share.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Naywifey07
    Naywifey07 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I accept all friend request. I may delete some old friends if they are not active or least showing support like Im supporting them. And as far as closed diaries sometimes I have mine open and sometimes I have ot closed... Its no big deal to me !!!