kupcake50 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Bump : )
  • lizzybethclaire
    lizzybethclaire Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    This was really good. I have three teens and here are my changes:

1. Doubled the recipe.

2. Forgot the corn at the store. Left it out.

3. Did not have two cans of tomatoes. I used one can of diced tomatoes and a whole jar of salsa

4. used 2 blocks of cream cheese (1 fat free, 1 1/3 less fat)

5. used about 2 and a half pounds of chicken

6. used 2 cans of small red beans

7. My chicken was defrosted so I was able to cook it for about 4 hours

Mistake: my husband said to add a cup of water. Boy was he wrong! I ended up using a mug and taking almost all the broth out. I put it aside and I am going to use it to make seasoned rice! I will make rice and use the broth instead of water. It is a thin broth so it should work well. If I end up liking it, I may make it this way all the time and just drain the broth before I put in the cream cheese. Also, my chicken did not shred well, but it didn't really matter. It was a fabulous dish.
  • judithk3
    judithk3 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    This is so easy ! and it is great. everyone in the Family enjoyed it, :happy:
  • Schraudt814
    Schraudt814 Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    BUMP!
  • KKJ24
    KKJ24 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Making it right now! Didn't have the chilli powder or rotel so I used dried chili peppers and fire roasted tomatoes instead. Can't wait for tonight!
  • Pangea250
    Pangea250 Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    OMG, I am soooooooooo making this tomorrow night!
  • jillwill2
    jillwill2 Posts: 1
    Options
    Sounds great!
  • chelle4282
    chelle4282 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    bump
  • taranj21
    taranj21 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    i made this for dinner last night, it was fantastic!! a little too spicy for my daughters, but my husband and i loved it!
    i added a little taco seasoning in
    put fat free sour cream on my whole wheat tortilla w/rice, lettuce & the mixture, FABULOUS!!!
  • Hopeinanguish
    Hopeinanguish Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Definitely saving this one!
  • R_mageddon
    R_mageddon Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    It's very similar to my crockpot enchilada filling but I like the idea of the tomatoes and putting it over rice. I'm definitely going to work this into my meal plans this weekend
  • peggymacb
    peggymacb Posts: 4
    Options
    This looks really good....will try this week.
  • ladybug2020
    ladybug2020 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Pangea250
    Pangea250 Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    My sister gave me this recipe about a year ago and I am one to also watch my sodium. I love this recipe over a bed of lettuce. I have modified the recipe by using the following:

1 can diced tomatoes no salt added
    1 small can diced green chiles
    1.5 cups black beans, initally dried, but soaked and cooked. The do make no salt added and reduced sodium canned beans
    Newman's Own All Natural Chunky mild salsa (only 65mg Na for 2 TBSP the lowest I can find for jar salsa)
    1 Tbsp chili powder (not sure if you are all aware but each tsp carries about 40mg Na)

My calcuations for 6 servings
    Sodium 282
    Calories 248
    Carbs 36
    Fat 7
    Protein 18

Enjoy!
    It's cooking in the crockpot right now. Just wanted to mention that I input the ingredients and it came up with calories much closer to yours than the original poster. I got (for 6 servings) 257 calories per serving. I think that important for people to know. It's not 181 calories per serving, at least not with the ingredients I used.
  • Mkmassey3
    Mkmassey3 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing this recipe! I look forward to making this soon!
  • wagner78
    wagner78 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    bump:smile:
  • kateopotato
    kateopotato Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    My sister gave me this recipe about a year ago and I am one to also watch my sodium. I love this recipe over a bed of lettuce. I have modified the recipe by using the following:

1 can diced tomatoes no salt added
    1 small can diced green chiles
    1.5 cups black beans, initally dried, but soaked and cooked. The do make no salt added and reduced sodium canned beans
    Newman's Own All Natural Chunky mild salsa (only 65mg Na for 2 TBSP the lowest I can find for jar salsa)
    1 Tbsp chili powder (not sure if you are all aware but each tsp carries about 40mg Na)

My calcuations for 6 servings
    Sodium 282
    Calories 248
    Carbs 36
    Fat 7
    Protein 18

Enjoy!
    It's cooking in the crockpot right now. Just wanted to mention that I input the ingredients and it came up with calories much closer to yours than the original poster. I got (for 6 servings) 257 calories per serving. I think that important for people to know. It's not 181 calories per serving, at least not with the ingredients I used.

My ingredients come out to 222 per serving. I think everyone's will be slightly different based on the size of chicken breasts, what salsa they use, etc.

Anyway I have made this now about 5 times and have gotten many compliments on it every time. I plan on making it for my sister's bridal shower luncheon also.
  • live4something
    live4something Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ColoradoCowgirl
    Options
    Bump. Sounds yummy!