how to cope with Easter?

Options
124»

Replies

• paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,998 Member
    Options
    Im cooking a family roast dinner for easter with all the trimmings and am happy to serve it up and wash up, but I wont be sitting down and eating any of it. A huge roast lamb dinner with yorkshire puddings, gravy, roast potatos, stuffing etc would be enough calories for a week, so I plan on preparing a salad in advance and taking mine into the garden to eat whilst family eat their dinner, this way I wont see anyone eating and can sit and enjoy the sun on my face. I wont be eating easter eggs either, I got fat eating this crap and now I look upon all of it as just poison/sugar. I dont feel im being denied anything I feel liberated from eating rubbish & chemicals. I compare it to how I felt when i stopped smoking, I didnt have a cigarette on special occasions. I dont need chocolate on special occasions either. When Im done with this diet I dont plan on eating chocolate, cakes, crisps anything ever again for the rest of my life. Ive lost weight and put it back on before telling myself I can eat what I like, the fact is I cant, the only way Im going to lose weight and stay slim is to log, lose weight and maintain for the rest of my life.
    wow this sounds really sad, aren't the holidays to enjoy your family?

Double wow!
    Surely you can at least eat your salad in the company of your family, even if you don't partake in any of the "poisonous food"

I must say my approach is quite different to this - I have lost weight (and then maintained for 5 months) by including small amounts of chocolate, crisps etc in my diet - I certainly don't plan on avoiding them totally for the rest of my life.
  • debbiedoeshealth
    debbiedoeshealth Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I am going to enjoy the day. I feel like I have been doing really well and one day will not ruin that. We do our get together on Saturday so I will have a light breakfast and then make the best choices possible. I'm hoping the dance party after dinner will help burn some calories. God I cannot wait for that first glass of wine.
  • ErinMcMom
    ErinMcMom Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    We have an Easter Dinner on Friday and Sunday and an Easter Brunch on the Saturday and Sunday, so there's going to be A LOT of food temptation this weekend. The chocolate isn't really a temptation for me, but it'll be difficult for me to say no to some of my favourite family dishes at dinner and brunch... so I'm not going to say no.
    I plan to have reasonable portions of the foods I enjoy the most and not eat foods that I don't absolutely LOVE. We're planning to walk to and from one of the brunches and I'll take a nice long walk on the other days if I can fit it in to offset calories a bit.
    Honestly though, a dinner of ham, mashed potatoes and carrots can easily fit into daily calorie goals, so I think it will be fine. Even if I do happen to go over, I'll be back to my regular plan after the holidays.
    Eat relatively sensibly, enjoy, log, move on! :)
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,124 Member
    Options
    I enjoy the day, eat what I want, and get back to things the next day.
  • aarar
    aarar Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    I'll eat. Probably a lot but I'll log it all just as I've done every day for the last 567 days. If I do go for a 10 mile run it's because I want to, not because of Easter.

I feel sad for the poster who said they're only having salad...
  • aarar
    aarar Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    I'm pregnant and due on Easter Sun. If the baby is on time, I feel I will deserve a huge Easter egg :smile: If she's late, I will enjoy an egg anyway!

I'm in England and Easter eggs have been in the shops for ages. We don't do big meals over Easter, but people keep giving me chocolate for the kids (they're 2 and 4) and I wish they wouldn't! I've hidden it.

That's my son's birthday :) Good luck!!
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    For those of you who will be having meals and time with family/friends...relish every moment and just enjoy yourselves, and remember those of us who cannot spend this time with family or friends. An Easter alone is not a very happy occasion.

That said, I have already had some mini eggs over the last month, that I bought myself, and will have a bit of chocolate and maybe a meal out alone on Sunday.
  • PJPrimrose
    PJPrimrose Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    Eat a bit of everything for taste, being good about my portion control and calories, and have a good time :drinker:
  • skrlec70
    skrlec70 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    im anxious also, its easy when im home, this will really be my first big event since i started MFP, im going to moms for easter dinner, now that i think about it i should have hosted, at least i have my food scale, i can just imagine the looks ill get when i pull out the measuring cup.

Frank Frank look at what shes doing , dad (frank) will proceed with Ma whatsa a matter with you, its easter, eat , eat , eat manja manja, come here, give me your plate.GROAAAAAAAAAN:laugh:
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,998 Member
    Options
    I'll eat. Probably a lot but I'll log it all just as I've done every day for the last 567 days. If I do go for a 10 mile run it's because I want to, not because of Easter.

I feel sad for the poster who said they're only having salad...

Not so much the eating salad bit (if you enjoy salad or must be on a very restricted diet for medical reasons, so be it) - but the deliberately eating away from the family because their food is poison bit :noway:
  • MildredBarhopper
    MildredBarhopper Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I don't know how many people do this, but a few times a year, I take a whole week from logging AND exercising. Even if I'm not going on vacation, I give myself a break here and there, gain a few pounds, and then it comes right off once I get back into my routine. I take these MFP/exercise breaks stragetically (trips, holidays), so I'm starting mine on Easter Sunday....not logging anything, eating whatever and not feeling bad. I enjoy these breaks, but I always feel happy to get back to my normal routine after a week of awesome laziness.

For people who aren't taking a break, I say just enjoy it...however, you have to know yourself. If you think it will lead to a binge that will be hard to stop, just treat it as a normal day. It really depends on what you are comfortable with. Not everyone would be comfortable taking an entire week off from logging and/or exercising, but it works for me so I'll keep doing it.
  • craftywitch_63
    craftywitch_63 Posts: 829 Member
    Options
    I became a Celtic pagan. Problem solved!
  • onefortyone
    onefortyone Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I'm only just re-starting on my journey so I feel like, if I overeat on Sunday, it'll put me back exactly where I started and make me feel terrible. I'm not at the stage where I can say 'one bad day won't hurt' because I have had over 365 of those days lately :(

I am not sure what I'll do, because every single thing there will be loaded with calories and freaking delicious. Maybe there'll be raw carrot sticks (the cooked veggies will be loaded with butter and salt) that I can gorge on lol. We're planning on a VERY light breakfast and a hardcore workout before we go. Whatever happens will happen I guess! I am looking forward to seeing all my in-laws, I think they think I've disowned them lol.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Enjoy the day and then pick back up on Monday. One meal/day isn't why you had to lose weight in the first place...it was day after day of eating like every day was Easter.
  • rompydompy
    rompydompy Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I am treating the holiday as a holiday: Slim, healthy people indulge on these days, but don't gorge themselves on mountains of spuds and pounds of chocolate. I will not be logging my meals that day, but will enjoy IN MODERATION-- not going back for seconds, having three rolls, and slathering as much butter as my lard@$$ pleases on everything. I am, however, feeling slightly guilty for my decision, but I suppose that will only serve to reinforce my willpower :) Enjoy the day, don't stuff yourself silly, and get right back to your new normalcy the next day. One day will NOT derail your progress, as long as it stays a ONE DAY thing :) Happy Easter!
  • msbunnie68
    msbunnie68 Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    For those of you who will be having meals and time with family/friends...relish every moment and just enjoy yourselves, and remember those of us who cannot spend this time with family or friends. An Easter alone is not a very happy occasion.

That said, I have already had some mini eggs over the last month, that I bought myself, and will have a bit of chocolate and maybe a meal out alone on Sunday.

If you were here in the Land Downunder you would be welcome at my table. x
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options

If you were here in the Land Downunder you would be welcome at my table. x

Thanks, that is very sweet of you x. :flowerforyou: