Those DUMB 30 day squat challenges

Options

Replies

• badbcatha05
    badbcatha05 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    biggest issue I have with them (actually any 30 challenge) that is only challenging you to do MORE with no variation.

it's just incredibly hard on your body to do the SAME thing for so much volume with no changes other than just more of of the more.

That's all.

I'm all about people doing more- and I am glad they do- but doing 100+ squats or 200 or push ups- or planks- or burpees- it's great for discipline- but I feel like it should be a rotational thing- that adds layers and exercises.

This was exactly what happened to me... I tried the squat one and some other one that had some sort of ab exercise, MORE squats, and push ups. That was it. For a month. I had to stop. More isn't always better.. sometimes it's just more. For me, had that been my intro to working out, I can see it having gone either way... 1. I would have started a habit and gotten my butt off the couch (I was, and still and training for a half marathon- so it already was) or 2. I would have said man, if this is what working out is, it blows.

I
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Since when are squats cardio? Jump squats, sure, but a regular squat? True, 1000 squats a day with just body weight sounds like overkill and you can get better results with less reps and more weight, but my heart rate doesn't go up when I do squats - no matter how many.

I have to say I do not believe this statement. It would truly bizarre for someone to do 100 squats in one set and their heart rate not increase.
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    At the end of the 30 day plank challenge was a FIVE MINUTE PLANK. It sucked, if I ever do that again it's because Jigsaw has me tied up over a spike and it's plank or die. 2 minutes is just fine for me now.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    Have to agree OP...

I mean really to eat their own but why would you do 100 squats a day when you could do barbell squats and get better results with less (e.g. 25 barbell squats)? Aside from the fact that you "want" to. Sounds like a time waster to me.
  • bcattoes
    Options
    Have to agree OP...

I mean really to eat their own but why would you do 100 squats a day when you could do barbell squats and get better results with less (e.g. 25 barbell squats)? Aside from the fact that you "want" to. Sounds like a time waster to me.

I'll give my reasons. I can do them in my office at work on my breaks. I don't have a barbell or live near a gym. I do not believe that doing any exercise is time wasted.
  • masondillan
    masondillan Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Doing body weight squats can help a beginner learn proper form before attempting to do barbell weight squats. I agree that doing like 200 body weight squats can be a bit much. Higher amounts of reps without a break turns into a cardio routine. Its same with lifting weights. If you lift lower amount of weight more reps your muscles get more of a cardio workout. Heavy weights for less reps is more strength and muscle building. But we must start with learning proper form so we do not injure ourselves in the process.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    biggest issue I have with them (actually any 30 challenge) that is only challenging you to do MORE with no variation.

it's just incredibly hard on your body to do the SAME thing for so much volume with no changes other than just more of of the more.

That's all.

I'm all about people doing more- and I am glad they do- but doing 100+ squats or 200 or push ups- or planks- or burpees- it's great for discipline- but I feel like it should be a rotational thing- that adds layers and exercises.

+1

I can't stand to do the same damn thing every day. Not happening. Just like I won't eat the same thing every day.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    At the end of the 30 day plank challenge was a FIVE MINUTE PLANK. It sucked, if I ever do that again it's because Jigsaw has me tied up over a spike and it's plank or die. 2 minutes is just fine for me now.

I think when I hit two minutes is when I decided that planks were boring. :laugh:
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    Have to agree OP...

I'll give my reasons. I can do them in my office at work on my breaks. I don't have a barbell or live near a gym. I do not believe that doing any exercise is time wasted.

That's nice - my reference to time wasted was more directed to people who 1) have time for a gym and go to one 2) are looking for the fastest way to have a nice *kitten*

I care about my time - the quality and exercises done during my workout. I don't want to do squats all day, I want to squat my body weight and feel strong. Some people don't care about their time - not my business but I would be lying if I said I didn't see where OP is coming from.
  • sjaplo
    sjaplo Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    Has nobody ever heard of repetitive stress injuries?
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

yup- which is why I have en effed up elbow- from doing a 100 day burpee challenge.

lesson learned.
    that was EXACTLY the point of my post.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Not to be mean or discredit anyone trying to be active....but you will not end up with a booty like Amanda Latona

Nope but it gives you a good lift...I did one and that is what start me here...so they aren't dumb.
  • SezxyStef
    Options

Yes but ...always a but isn't there...

doing them in sets, using different stances etc helps prevent that...

As I said that is what got me started...and excuse the line but "look at me now"
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    Does it REALLY matter if the goal is to move more? Have at whatever '30-day workout' floats your boat!
    It definitely would if people who are doing squat challenges are doing them totally wrong and with bad form. The repetitions would instill bad habits and could possible exacerbate/cause an injury.
    Stimulate no need to annihilate.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • bcattoes
    Options
    Does it REALLY matter if the goal is to move more? Have at whatever '30-day workout' floats your boat!
    It definitely would if people who are doing squat challenges are doing them totally wrong and with bad form. The repetitions would instill bad habits and could possible exacerbate/cause an injury.
    Stimulate no need to annihilate.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Why would this be worse that someone doing squats with weights and bad form?
  • bcattoes
    Options

I think when I hit two minutes is when I decided that planks were boring. :laugh:

I decided that after about 20 sec. Seriously, planks are without a doubt the most loathsome exercise for me. Just hanging there counting off seconds. :noway: :explode: :sad:

Wall sits are almost as bad, but at least I have my hands free and can play on my phone for distraction.
  • SezxyStef
    Options

I decided that after about 20 sec. Seriously, planks are without a doubt the most loathsome exercise for me. Just hanging there counting off seconds. :noway: :explode: :sad:

Wall sits are almost as bad, but at least I have my hands free and can play on my phone for distraction.

really for me it's burpees...:sad: :sad: :sad:
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

I just don't get why people - other than self discipline to do the thing- would want to plank for more than a minute or two. Plank on one foot/one hand or doing some sort of up down or throw a weight drag in there- so much better than just hanging out in a plank.
  • bcattoes
    Options

I just don't get why people - other than self discipline to do the thing- would want to plank for more than a minute or two. Plank on one foot/one hand or doing some sort of up down or throw a weight drag in there- so much better than just hanging out in a plank.

I just count my pushups as planks too. I have to hold my frame just as straight and tight, so I feel if I do pushups I don't need planks, because basically, I already did it.
  • Dposh67
    Dposh67 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I didn't get sucked into them when i was a newbie. I didn't see the point when there were so many other things to do along with squats to get a better butt. Plus I only had to do them 3x a week to see results. nah..the 30 day thing can kick rocks