Weight loss FEARS?

Options

Replies

• seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    I have some excess skin but about 6-8 months ago, I was FAR more worried about it than I am now. When I lost weight in the beginning my face went through a phase of looking rather pinched and the skin on my neck looked loose and turkey like making me look a lot older very drastically/sudden...totally wigged me out, but within a few months of continued loss my face began to look fuller and normal again! Yay. I don't think the skin on my belly, thighs, or arms looked any worse then, but it just kind of appeared overnight or I just suddenly noticed it, and I was like "holy moly...maybe I should stop losing". I am really glad I didn't because that was when I was around 220 lb and now I'm at 187 and like my figure much better now even though the loose/excess skin hasn't changed. It hasn't changed for the worse so I'm okay with it...and now that I am getting fairly close to my planned goal of about 170, I feel more comfortable with my changing body and I don't think I am going to wake up a few months from now as a big bag of wrinkly skin ;-)
  • mestiza91
    mestiza91 Posts: 51
    Options
    im a b cup, so im so afraid of losing them. also i dont want to lose my bum! but want to slim my thighs. so hard :(
  • _Resolve_
    _Resolve_ Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    Id like to add another spin to this thread and offer what I feared and what the reality is, maybe encourage some of you. I was scared of the loose skin, I have some but certainly not as much as I thought I would. I feared I would still look in the mirror and be unhappy with who I am, the reality is I don't know who I am anymore. Its exciting to meet this new person you become and learn about yourself, its not an overnight kind of thing it will take a while to accept who you are after weight loss. I was scared of having to buy all new clothes, yup... lots and lots of clothes.. eventually I started buying really cheap jeans and t-shirts to just get me by until I landed at the size I was going to stay at. I have spent hundreds of dollars going from a size 54 pants to now 36 and I am happy to say I am finally at the size I will be at (at least for a while). I was scared that people would treat me different, and they do but I learned who my real friends were and who were the ones that would be left behind as I start to figure all of this out.

All of the fears you have you and you alone will have to face, but I can guarantee they are all just part of the lesson to be learned and everyday a new piece to the puzzle fits. Its exciting! You are all working extremely hard to make HUGE changes in your life, the things you fear will keep you motivated..

Hope this helps a little. :smile:
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    I fear I'll be too hot and men will be too intimidated by my hotness.
  • cinziaasq
    Options
    this is why you need to LIFT WEIGHTS! I lost 75 pounds and was very slim and still didn't like my body.. now that I have been lifting heavy for the past year I can honestly say that I love my body. You need to eat right and lift heavy weights with minimal cardio. By doing this you will build muscle and that will help with tightening your skin. Just have patience and your body will evolve. You can sculpt your body into whatever you want.. you just need to work hard.. it doesn't come easy. Also, BE PROUD of your accomplishments! You look amazing for your weight loss.. be proud of your journey if you haven't reached your goal yet.. by stressing out about it you will just raise your cortisol levels which will then lead to weight gain. BE CONFIDENT AND PROUD OF YOUR ACCOMPLISHMENTS
  • SymphonynSonata
    SymphonynSonata Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Not being able to maintain it.
  • courtney3988
    courtney3988 Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I am afraid of gaining it all back again. I do not want to be that person again. I want kids in the future but i am afraid if i do that i will become obesed again. I am very OCD about my calorie intake i watch every thing i hate going over.
  • knitapeace
    knitapeace Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    Id like to add another spin to this thread and offer what I feared and what the reality is, maybe encourage some of you. I was scared of the loose skin, I have some but certainly not as much as I thought I would. I feared I would still look in the mirror and be unhappy with who I am, the reality is I don't know who I am anymore. Its exciting to meet this new person you become and learn about yourself, its not an overnight kind of thing it will take a while to accept who you are after weight loss. I was scared of having to buy all new clothes, yup... lots and lots of clothes.. eventually I started buying really cheap jeans and t-shirts to just get me by until I landed at the size I was going to stay at. I have spent hundreds of dollars going from a size 54 pants to now 36 and I am happy to say I am finally at the size I will be at (at least for a while). I was scared that people would treat me different, and they do but I learned who my real friends were and who were the ones that would be left behind as I start to figure all of this out.

All of the fears you have you and you alone will have to face, but I can guarantee they are all just part of the lesson to be learned and everyday a new piece to the puzzle fits. Its exciting! You are all working extremely hard to make HUGE changes in your life, the things you fear will keep you motivated..

Hope this helps a little. :smile:

That was an incredibly sweet post. :flowerforyou:
  • kilsafari
    kilsafari Posts: 61
    Options
    That I'll get to my goal weight and it won't be enough for me,. That I'll lose control and go too far. That I'll end up hating myself for not being happy and then gain it all back.
  • MsJulesRenee
    MsJulesRenee Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options
    Afraid of my friends treating me differently during and when I lose the weight. Sounds bad but I don't want them to be jealous or anything. I try as hard as I can to give them pointers about how to do it themselves but..ya know..They usually take it the wrong way and don't want to put the effort in. I always invite them to go to the gym with me but no one wants to wake up early.
    Makes me feel bad when I talk about it, but I like talking about fitness! They don't understand that all you have to do is change your lifestyle a little.
  • scraver2003
    scraver2003 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I am afraid of everything.

I am afraid of loose skin. I am afraid of failing (again). I am afraid of suceeding. I am afraid of the emotions I will face. I am afraid of the emotions I am already facing. I am afraid my dealing with my emotions may take a toll on my family and friends. I am afraid of not having fat to hide behind. I am afraid I will lose the weight and still be a slow runner. I am afraid of how long it will take me to lose 90 pounds. I am afraid of losing some and gaining it all back again. I am afraid of the fact that I cannot picture myself as a thinner person.

I am so very, very afraid. But I am so thankful for this thread... for having the opportunity to put in to words my fears.

OP - Thank you. :flowerforyou:
  • MrsB123111
    MrsB123111 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    this is why you need to LIFT WEIGHTS! I lost 75 pounds and was very slim and still didn't like my body.. now that I have been lifting heavy for the past year I can honestly say that I love my body. You need to eat right and lift heavy weights with minimal cardio. By doing this you will build muscle and that will help with tightening your skin. Just have patience and your body will evolve. You can sculpt your body into whatever you want.. you just need to work hard.. it doesn't come easy. Also, BE PROUD of your accomplishments! You look amazing for your weight loss.. be proud of your journey if you haven't reached your goal yet.. by stressing out about it you will just raise your cortisol levels which will then lead to weight gain. BE CONFIDENT AND PROUD OF YOUR ACCOMPLISHMENTS

This. I was a total cardio "bunny" while I lost my first 100 pounds, and still hated the way I looked. 4 months of lifting weights has changed my body completely and I love what it's done for me!!!
  • laineybz
    laineybz Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Do you have any weight loss fears? Like example some women fear that they will lost their breast size during weight loss. (this used to be one of mine)

I was actually pleased with going down in size lol
  • krennie8
    krennie8 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Do you have any weight loss fears? Like example some women fear that they will lost their breast size during weight loss. (this used to be one of mine)

I've always had a fear of getting an eating disorder. All those lifetime movies & lectures in high school (not to mention the people I knew who DID have them) really freaked me out.

Also just a general fear of losing that "protection" b/c that's really what it was for me for a long time. And in some ways it made me feel like by being overweight I was being a "rebel" and "non-conformist". Yeah, not so much truth in that.
  • Shelley6591
    Shelley6591 Posts: 156 Member
    Options

I've always had a fear of getting an eating disorder. All those lifetime movies & lectures in high school (not to mention the people I knew who DID have them) really freaked me out.

Also just a general fear of losing that "protection" b/c that's really what it was for me for a long time. And in some ways it made me feel like by being overweight I was being a "rebel" and "non-conformist". Yeah, not so much truth in that.

Pretty sure an over 'eating disorder' is what got most of us here in the first place :frown:
  • hyenagirl
    hyenagirl Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I lift weights throughout losing the fat and skin hangs off of me. I look like a shar pei when I sit down. My boobs are all deflated, they're like veiny, deflated balloons. The fat that is left all hangs off my butt with my skin. Not pretty. When I run, loose skin jiggles and flies everywhere. When I sit, my thighs and butt pool out around me. I look at this as a reminder of when I was fat, this is the price I pay for every soda I drank, for every doughnut I devoured.

Now onto the good: my joints don't hurt as much. I'm not as stiff as I used to be (my joints were always stiff, since I was 7). I can do more push ups than my SO (though, he can run faster than me). I can jump from high places and use my lose skin to make a parachute. No need to bring a tent for camping. I just hang some of my skin over myself, and bam- instant tent.
  • hospitablegirl
    hospitablegirl Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    My biggest fear is that my goal weight is too low. I won't achieve it or I will and I'll look gaunt.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options

That wasn't a fear of mine, it was a reality. Sucked. I liked my girls.
  • spdoughe
    spdoughe Posts: 51
    Options
    I'm scared that I'll reach my goal weight and still hate the way I look.

Agreed.
    I'm afraid my stretch marks wont be any less subtle. I'm afraid of loose skin and im afraid my boobs won't shrink (yes, I want them smaller!)
  • tworthen79
    tworthen79 Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    That no matter how low the scale gets, I will still hate my body. I will over critique it and never be satisfied.