Planet Fitness

Options

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    In.

popcorn_2.gif.

The pizza, bagels, etc... don't bother me about the place.

Honestly, if they didn't caricaturize individuals (such as myself) who take their training seriously and called said individuals a lunk (a dull or stupid person; blockhead; an awkward, heavy, or stupid person), due to the fact I (we) lift, will drink from a gallon jug, and wear disapproved headwear all while touting their facilities are a "judgment free zone"....the place would catch far less hell here than it does.

I love that you keep this as a stock response now. that's awesome_ i need to start saving my typed up lifting ones- would save me so much trouble.

I have a handful of stock responses in a spreadsheet, did I just admit that.....

I'll be breaking out my "It doesn't matter how many crunches you do you still can't spot reduce your belly" shortly as we get closer to beach season.

I think you mentioned it before- hadn't noticed it quiet as strongly as this one since it's so perfect for planet fitness.

LOL I seriously might actually start doing it- it saves a lot of time.
  • MsMaryMac48
    MsMaryMac48 Posts: 89 Member
    Options

Not once have I had a piece of pizza, bagel, or tootsie roll.

ME EITHER. I must not be going at the right time. I am normally there at least four nights a week and on Saturday morning. Can't believe I have missed this. :)
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    I live in a small town, rural area, so I don't know much about these fitness centers. Except PF, but only because of MFP. WHY WOULD THEY HAVE JUNK FOOD AT A GYM?? To keep people fat? I don't even get this...

Are you calling pizza "junk food"??? :angry: The day I see one of the staff take down a member and shove food in their mouth is the day I'll end my membership. Or when I outgrow the free weights.
  • BrouhardRj
    BrouhardRj Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Back in March I start going with a friend.. seem like a nice place.. So I join.. I went one day and I just hated... It wasn't as new as her gym and I got bored quickly.. No one would talk... It was free to sign up but $58 to cancel... I'm glad I did.... Now Im back at gym I love... Even if it coast 25 more...
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    I'd LOVE to have a PF in my small town. Our gym costs three times as much, has FAR less equipment, and frequently has cardio equipment out of order. Oh yeah, they have signs that say, "If you drop our weights you will be asked to leave."
    A slice of pizza once a month--if you were to indulge--shouldn't derail anybody's fitness plans. And if you are that hard core, surely you have sufficient self control not to cram every free piece of food you see into your mouth.

So all the REAL fitness folks hate Planet Fitness. Great. Don't go there. Let's move on!

Apparently you missed my post as to why it catches so much crap around here.
  • George_Baileys_Ghost
    George_Baileys_Ghost Posts: 1,524 Member
    Options

I'm trying to just keep my head down and get my workouts done.

There lies the issue. YOU pay them to train there. You shouldn't have to keep your head down. They owe YOU a gym where you can exercise the way that you see fit. They are in YOUR debt yet you are walking on eggshells so that you don't offend them? That's just as ridiculous and presumptuous as the US government!

You set off a lunk alarm at a PF somewhere just by typing this. *nods* true story
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    In.

popcorn_2.gif.

The pizza, bagels, etc... don't bother me about the place.

Honestly, if they didn't caricaturize individuals (such as myself) who take their training seriously and called said individuals a lunk (a dull or stupid person; blockhead; an awkward, heavy, or stupid person), due to the fact I (we) lift, will drink from a gallon jug, and wear disapproved headwear all while touting their facilities are a "judgment free zone"....the place would catch far less hell here than it does.

I love that you keep this as a stock response now. that's awesome_ i need to start saving my typed up lifting ones- would save me so much trouble.

I have a handful of stock responses in a spreadsheet, did I just admit that.....

I'll be breaking out my "It doesn't matter how many crunches you do you still can't spot reduce your belly" shortly as we get closer to beach season.

I think you mentioned it before- hadn't noticed it quiet as strongly as this one since it's so perfect for planet fitness.

LOL I seriously might actually start doing it- it saves a lot of time.

"It doesn't matter how many crunches you do you still can't spot reduce your belly"
    By the way, when will women finally understand that the rubber belly band is not going to help???!!! Arg!!! YOu can't spot "sweat reduce" either. Drives me bananas.
  • onechaoticrose
    Options
    I have never set it off myself, but was there when it was set off. It's so loud and annoying. I only go there because it is affordable, but there is a new "crunch" gym opening in June and I already signed up and will be dropping PF shortly after Crunch opens.

I have a membership with "CRUNCH" and have never been happier with a gym! Everyone is in there to workout and yes LIFT go figure and there truly is no judgement!
  • ValGogo
    Options
    I went to PF with my boyfriend last night as a guest (he has a membership, I don't) & I'm not gonna lie....after burning 400 cal on the treadmill I felt that I deserved that damn tootsie roll lol

YES!!!!! Awesome! I had one Tootsie on Monday. It was delicious.
  • amandalea23
    amandalea23 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Back in March I start going with a friend.. seem like a nice place.. So I join.. I went one day and I just hated... It wasn't as new as her gym and I got bored quickly.. No one would talk... It was free to sign up but $58 to cancel... I'm glad I did.... Now Im back at gym I love... Even if it coast 25 more...

No one would talk? Sounds like heaven to me. Sorry but I want to work out. Not socialize. PF is fine. People just like to complain; which is really pathetic actually. You can deadlift, you can wear shorts, you can wear tank tops. Hell, I've even seen a girl working out in a sports bra. My PF doesn't care. You drop heavy weights, the sensors in the floor go off. I've only heard it twice in almost 2 years. The dumbbells go up to I think at least 80-85 lbs but the barbells only go as high as 60. For the price, you absolutely can't beat it. And who cares about pizza, bagels and tootsie rolls?? You don't want them? Don't eat them. Seems like a simple concept.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    I go to a PF:

They have lots of free weights, actually more people use them than the cardio machines.

In 2 years I have heard the lunk alarm 1 time. Because young bro-people were acting like fools.

People there are very fit, I am the odd one out. Many, wear very little clothing there. Tank tops, sports bras, jeans, hats...no one cares.

Pizza and bagels are once a month. I work out so I CAN eat pizza without guilt, though I've never had it there... What's the big deal?

Each location is privately owned and operated. Do you always bash an entire franchise every time you hear about a bad experience at a few locations?
  • ValGogo
    Options
    They could at least give out good candy

GASP! How DARE YOU!!!???

(crying) I love tootsie rolls!!!
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    I have been going there for a couple of weeks. Oy. I already knew about their "issues" prior to going but they are so affordable! Anyone ever set off that dreaded alarm? Oh, that pizza on the table as I walk in ready to work out and a bowl of Tootsie Rolls is just a bad idea. Forget the pizza, who wants to eat that then hop on the treadmill?

LOL. Strong thread for someone who's just joined MFP. Guess it wasn't exciting enough around here.
  • ValGogo
    Options
    Ok serious question...

How frequently do they put the pizza out?

Is it good pizza that's worth the $10/mo membership?

I have zero interest in the place otherwise except for a walk-in pizza subscription since it's next to where I live.

Hell no! I saw Dominos boxes.

No Dominos here. Just straight up NY Pizza. Boo yah!
  • RonJr88
    RonJr88 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Seems to me if you can bash PF,you must have been a member at one time or your just spouting something you have no experience with.So my question is this Are you experienced or are you just someone who spreads crap.

I go to PF and let me say a few things..I have NEVER seen anyone kicked out for something they are wearing and there are some very see through and tight and skimpy work out outfits on most of the women.The free pizza and bagels and candy is there for the taking IF you choose...it is a choice and not a requirement to take.So make a choice!Yes I lift,yes it is somewhat limited in what you can do with in the confines of a "smith"machine and with the free weights they have but if you are pursuing a body builders physique then you need to be doing that somewhere that caters to that.What they call "training" it is very limited...YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR...you want "personal training"hire a personal trainer.Yes it is cheap..I don't mind.It seems to me people just like to ***** and moan about this place.Get over it people!
  • Pirate_chick
    Pirate_chick Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    I wish I had a planet fitness nearby. $20 a month for my daughter and I to attend opposed to $65 I am paying now would be awesome for my budget. I could care less about pizza and bagels being out...you don't want it, don't eat it. Go do what you need to do, and get out.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Seems to me if you can bash PF,you must have been a member at one time or your just spouting something you have no experience with.So my question is this Are you experienced or are you just someone who spreads crap.

I go to PF and let me say a few things..I have NEVER seen anyone kicked out for something they are wearing and there are some very see through and tight and skimpy work out outfits on most of the women.The free pizza and bagels and candy is there for the taking IF you choose...it is a choice and not a requirement to take.So make a choice!Yes I lift,yes it is somewhat limited in what you can do with in the confines of a "smith"machine and with the free weights they have but if you are pursuing a body builders physique then you need to be doing that somewhere that caters to that.What they call "training" it is very limited...YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR...you want "personal training"hire a personal trainer.Yes it is cheap..I don't mind.It seems to me people just like to ***** and moan about this place.Get over it people!

really? so just because someone might not have experienced it means they can't speak to or about the others who have experienced it...

Gotcha...so we need to stop teaching history in our schools...

AS for getting what you pay for...my gym is free and it's the best one around...:bigsmile:

edited for grammer.
  • monkeywizard
    monkeywizard Posts: 222 Member
    Options

That was a question of mine when I started.. the answer disappointed me, but it is what it is!
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    They could at least give out good candy

GASP! How DARE YOU!!!???

(crying) I love tootsie rolls!!!

I love them, too, but I've only eaten one, and it was after my tour over a year ago. PF tour, not tour of duty.
  • ValGogo
    Options
    They only sound the alarm when what you're doing is disruptive. The reports of people being asked to put on shirts and such...they don't sound it for that. It's mostly when weights are getting thrown, or someone is grunting a wee bit too loudly. I had a guy grunt so loud once about four benches down from me, that he scared me (and I had my music playing in my headphones). I jumped a mile. The alarm sounded...people laughed...and we all moved on. Look...this is how I see it. I like to work out. I go to Planet Fitness because it's inexpensive and it's a gym. I also get to tan for free with my membership...so bonus. As for the alarm...don't be obnoxious...don't drop/throw weights excessively...pretty simple.

Amazingly enough...I wear a tank top...with thin straps. I wear compression tights. No one has said a word to me about it. I don't know both sides of the story from those other reports...and in all honesty...it wouldn't be overly surprising to find out how exaggerated those people's stories were. Seriously. My biggest complaint is the music they play. Except for when it's Phil Collins or Richard Marx...

YES>>>the awful dance music and the horrible pseudo freestyle. OMG, I roll my eyes constantly