Planet Fitness

Options

Replies

• ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    Back in March I start going with a friend.. seem like a nice place.. So I join.. I went one day and I just hated... It wasn't as new as her gym and I got bored quickly.. No one would talk... It was free to sign up but $58 to cancel... I'm glad I did.... Now Im back at gym I love... Even if it coast 25 more...

No one would talk? Sounds like heaven to me. Sorry but I want to work out. Not socialize. PF is fine. People just like to complain; which is really pathetic actually. You can deadlift, you can wear shorts, you can wear tank tops. Hell, I've even seen a girl working out in a sports bra. My PF doesn't care. You drop heavy weights, the sensors in the floor go off. I've only heard it twice in almost 2 years. The dumbbells go up to I think at least 80-85 lbs but the barbells only go as high as 60. For the price, you absolutely can't beat it. And who cares about pizza, bagels and tootsie rolls?? You don't want them? Don't eat them. Seems like a simple concept.

Thanks Amanda, you answered my question only you did it in a nicer way. I concur.
  • RonJr88
    RonJr88 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    QUOTE:

Seems to me if you can bash PF,you must have been a member at one time or your just spouting something you have no experience with.So my question is this Are you experienced or are you just someone who spreads crap.

I go to PF and let me say a few things..I have NEVER seen anyone kicked out for something they are wearing and there are some very see through and tight and skimpy work out outfits on most of the women.The free pizza and bagels and candy is there for the taking IF you choose...it is a choice and not a requirement to take.So make a choice!Yes I lift,yes it is somewhat limited in what you can do with in the confines of a "smith"machine and with the free weights they have but if you are pursuing a body builders physique then you need to be doing that somewhere that caters to that.What they call "training" it is very limited...YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR...you want "personal training"hire a personal trainer.Yes it is cheap..I don't mind.It seems to me people just like to ***** and moan about this place.Get over it people!

really? so just because someone might not have experienced it means they can't speak to or about the others who have experienced it...

Gotcha...so we need to stop teaching history in our schools...

AS for getting what you pay for...my gym is free and it's the best one around...bigsmile

edited for grammer.
    Edited by SezxyStef On April 16, 2014 3:50 PM

Well History ALWAYS has 2 sides to it..so you should be able to look at both sides.

Not sure we were talking about history anyways.

Glad your gym is free..good for you.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    lol so glad we don't have PF here.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Seems to me if you can bash PF,you must have been a member at one time or your just spouting something you have no experience with.So my question is this Are you experienced or are you just someone who spreads crap.

I go to PF and let me say a few things..I have NEVER seen anyone kicked out for something they are wearing and there are some very see through and tight and skimpy work out outfits on most of the women.The free pizza and bagels and candy is there for the taking IF you choose...it is a choice and not a requirement to take.So make a choice!Yes I lift,yes it is somewhat limited in what you can do with in the confines of a "smith"machine and with the free weights they have but if you are pursuing a body builders physique then you need to be doing that somewhere that caters to that.What they call "training" it is very limited...YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR...you want "personal training"hire a personal trainer.Yes it is cheap..I don't mind.It seems to me people just like to ***** and moan about this place.Get over it people!

Bodybuilder's physique....

The dumbells top out at something like 60lbs, for many adult males, functional strength on many exercises can be around 60lbs... It doesn't have anything to do with gaining a bodybuilder's physique.

It's the way they market themselves...
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

guess I need to try meth to know it's bad for me first?

Been in one- seen the news paper articles-

WATCHED THE ADS PROMOTING THEMSELVES. They do it to themselves. If the gym wasn't based on MAKING FUN OF OTHER PEOPLE and claiming to be "judgement free" it would totally be a none issue.

Also- nothing to do with BB physique- what if you want to powerlift? or just get stronger - will have a hard time doing that there as well- functional exercises? take an aerobics class (PS those drive something like 75% of the sales for women at gyms)... can't do it there either- has nothing to do with bodybuilding.

But we all know this isn't actually a gym- so it's not that serious.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options

I have a right to bash them based purely on their advertisements. They market themselves as hating on fit, strong people who have nice bodies, and on people who are serious about weight training, then call themselves a "judgement free zone" - they're very clearly marketing that image, so it's what they want people to think they're all about. So yes people who have never been there have every right to criticise them based on the company's own marketing and to choose to never ever go there.

These debates are good publicity for Gold's though, I've never seen an ad for Golds, and I don't live in the USA, but every time planet fitness is discussed, people have good things to say about Gold's gym including the fact that it costs the same or not much more than PF. So if i ever go to the USA then I'll go to Golds and not bother with planet fitness. If there are good planet fitness franchises that I'm not giving a chance to.... well tough s*** they can blame their own marketing for that. If they don't want to be seen as hating on fit, strong people who are serious about exercise, then they need to have a word with their marketing executives.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options

The dumbells top out at something like 60lbs, for many adult males, functional strength on many exercises can be around 60lbs... It doesn't have anything to do with gaining a bodybuilder's physique.

They may top out at 60 at SOME locations. My location they go well over 100. EZ bars get up there too.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    They may top out at 60 at SOME locations. My location they go well over 100. EZ bars get up there too.

I think the average DB is 75 or 85- I've been in several and that seems to be the standard.
  • RGv2
    Options

So...at SOME locations they carry SOME equipment and at SOME locations they don't.

Said it once...

I don't really care...if their entire marketing scheme wasn't built around caracurizing fitness enthusiasts while calling themselves a "judgement free zone", no one would even talk about the place on here (just like curves).
  • k_nicole87
    k_nicole87 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I have been going there for a couple of weeks. Oy. I already knew about their "issues" prior to going but they are so affordable! Anyone ever set off that dreaded alarm? Oh, that pizza on the table as I walk in ready to work out and a bowl of Tootsie Rolls is just a bad idea. Forget the pizza, who wants to eat that then hop on the treadmill?

LOL. Strong thread for someone who's just joined MFP. Guess it wasn't exciting enough around here.

Actually I have been a member of MFP for a long time. I had to delete and create a new account because the tech people couldn't figure out why my mobile app wasn't working.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    Planet Fitness: The only place on MFP where pizza, bagels, and tootsie rolls won't fit your macros.
  • KeithAngilly
    KeithAngilly Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I've gone for 3 years.
    Not once have I heard the effing alarm.

Not once have I had a piece of pizza, bagel, or tootsie roll.

I go in, do my business and leave.
    Plenty of people lift. Plenty of people do cardio.

I imagine if it doesn't suit peoples lifting needs, they'll leave. But I really doubt weekly threads bashing the place are needed.

My biggest disappointment about the place is the fact that the shower gets cold if somebody flushes the toilet.
    Hate that.

that's pretty much my response...I love how the bro's and bro'ettes have their feelings so hurt about the place. I have moved on to a Y (for the pool), but I used PF for a couple years. It suited my needs.
  • racheljonel
    racheljonel Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    They could at least give out good candy

this is my biggest issue with them. Who wants to waste calories on worthless tootsie rolls?

I go there. I like it. It's impeccably clean and the price is fantastic. I've never heard the lunk alarm go off and the staff is very friendly. And I love how there is no waiting for equipment.
  • RGv2
    Options
    Planet Fitness: The only place on MFP where pizza, bagels, and tootsie rolls won't fit your macros.

No kidding....
  • RGv2
    Options
    I've gone for 3 years.
    Not once have I heard the effing alarm.

Not once have I had a piece of pizza, bagel, or tootsie roll.

I go in, do my business and leave.
    Plenty of people lift. Plenty of people do cardio.

I imagine if it doesn't suit peoples lifting needs, they'll leave. But I really doubt weekly threads bashing the place are needed.

My biggest disappointment about the place is the fact that the shower gets cold if somebody flushes the toilet.
    Hate that.

that's pretty much my response...I love how the bro's and bro'ettes have their feelings so hurt about the place. I have moved on to a Y (for the pool), but I used PF for a couple years. It suited my needs.

And the mockery continues......

The usual from a "judgement free zone". :drinker:
  • ahoier
    ahoier Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I ignore the pizza.....unless they got veggie. Ar my PF they keep it behind the counter......I don't know why....I guess they don't want any joe blow and their PF "guests" grabbing a whole box and running out the door.....though they always send me off with 3+ pizzas (usually go when they are closing).

The tootsie rolls are good energy. lol. and really, can't be that big on calories....lol, I have no idea I have never logged one of my PF tootsie rolls! haha. I do know they look a little bit smaller than the ones I used to get Trick or Treating on Halloween as a kid!

I have noticed not all of their gyms are created equally.......I have the black card and go to 2 different gyms. And yea, the machines and amenities vary from gym to gym.....even if you browse the gym list on their sites. My "home gym" is very small.....has hella ellipticals, and treadmills, a handful of bicycles....then the rest of the place is weight machines. 4 smith machines, the free weights only go up to 60 lbs though......I been a member now about 5 years there.....eventually when I outgrow the free weights I'll likely move to the "Y"....but that's a longer drive away....but yea the price cant be beat.
  • k_nicole87
    k_nicole87 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I ignore the pizza.....unless they got veggie. Ar my PF they keep it behind the counter......I don't know why....I guess they don't want any joe blow and their PF "guests" grabbing a whole box and running out the door.....though they always send me off with 3+ pizzas (usually go when they are closing).

The tootsie rolls are good energy. lol. and really, can't be that big on calories....lol, I have no idea I have never logged one of my PF tootsie rolls! haha. I do know they look a little bit smaller than the ones I used to get Trick or Treating on Halloween as a kid!

I have noticed not all of their gyms are created equally.......I have the black card and go to 2 different gyms. And yea, the machines and amenities vary from gym to gym.....even if you browse the gym list on their sites. My "home gym" is very small.....has hella ellipticals, and treadmills, a handful of bicycles....then the rest of the place is weight machines. 4 smith machines, the free weights only go up to 60 lbs though......I been a member now about 5 years there.....eventually when I outgrow the free weights I'll likely move to the "Y"....but that's a longer drive away....but yea the price cant be beat.

I ignore your post due to the use of the word "hella". :grumble:
  • tomomatic
    tomomatic Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    First, they came for the deadlifters and I did not speak out....

Seriously, it depends on the people running the place.
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    A PF just opened near me and I've been a little hesitant about even checking it out because of all the stories. I think the inconsistancies come from them being franchises and maybe some franchise owners take it a little too seriously with the lunk alarms and forcing people to cover up, etc. This thread got me to at least check out their website. Can't pay my membership fee by credit card? Hellz no. I've had bad experiences with gyms continuing to take money out of my checking account after I've cancelled and its a hassle to get my money back, plus how am I going to earn my "cash back bonus"? Thanks, but no thanks PF, think I'll continue working out at home.
  • rhapasody
    rhapasody Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I personally love Planet Fitness. I go in, do my cardio and strength training, and I get out without any problems. Maybe because I am a female it is better? I don't do insane heavy lifting. But the men who are there lift, and even sometimes grunt, but the alarm never goes off. The staff at my PF is really friendly. They always greet me when I come in with a smile, and tell me to have a good night when I leave. Maybe some are better than others? Mine is pretty nice. The only thing I dislike is mine is not a 24hr gym, which can get annoying with my work schedule. To each their own I suppose. :) Also I NEVER eat the pizza or anything. I honestly never even see pizza out. Maybe I go at the wrong times? (I got almost everyday soooo idk) lol It is kind of nice they offer those things, but would be better if they had healthy food nights instead. Then people might learn how to eat properly?