How did YOU determine your Goal Weight

Options
DaisyGrammy
DaisyGrammy Posts: 148 Member
I've looked at all the charts and all the ranges but how do you really settle on a goal weight? I'm so confused on what I should shoot for!

Replies

• susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    Picked one at random that wasn't too unattainable. When I got there I still had a lot of pudge so I reset it.

You're not committed to your goal weight -- if you get partway there and decide you're done, that's fine, if you get there and decide you're not done, that's also fine.
  • izu87
    izu87 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Initially it was using the classic formula of My_Height_in_cm - 110cm = Perfect_weight_in_KG, so for my case is 171-110 = 61kg.

Later on I had a friend who was the same height, relatively the same built as me and I asked her how much she was weighing as she had the body that I did wish I had - she said 59kg, so I decided that maybe at the result given to me by my old school formula I will look quite great.

But then again, in the past few years, I've realized that weight is not all that important because I might be at a greater weight but have the same body size as someone who is much lighter than I am due to difference in muscle mass. So, right now I'm semi-aiming at that weight, but also aiming at those skinny jeans size 6 that I bought many moons ago that I want to squeeze in and in which I know I will look quite alright :P
  • AwesomeGuy37
    AwesomeGuy37 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Just a guess from seeing other people my height that are fit... nothing set in stone.

Women might find this handy:
    http://www.mybodygallery.com/index.html
  • bomftdrum
    bomftdrum Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I honestly just picked a weight that I thought I would look good at. When I reach my goal, if I don't like it, I will reset my goal to a little lower and go from there.
  • MelonJMusic
    MelonJMusic Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    For me, my goal weight was when I looked and felt my best, so I decided to work to get there again. :)
  • PinkyPan1
    PinkyPan1 Posts: 3,018 Member
    Options
    My goal is my "happy weight." That being where I felt the most comfortable in my own skin. I have no desire to be tiny and thin like I was in my 20s and 30s. I am 53 and my goal is be healthy and strong.
  • Loralrose
    Loralrose Posts: 203
    Options
    I have a definitely goal, and a maybe goal. I definitely want to get to the weight I was at 19, because I was in great shape and felt awesome then. If I get there and still could lose more comfortably, I'd love to get down to 160, which is the highest healthy BMI for my height.
  • Chezzie84
    Chezzie84 Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    I have chosen the weight that is bang smack in the middle of the healthy part of the BMI chart.
    However this is not set in stone for me. I will maintain when I am happy with my body even if it mean being over my current goal weight.
  • jenmom2myboys
    jenmom2myboys Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I just picked dead center of the bmi/weight range for my height. Once I get there I will reevaluate if it is too much or too little.
  • dt3312
    dt3312 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I asked my doctor. I have a medium build, but very broad shoulders. I take a size 10 in most things, but a size 16-18 in the shoulder. I'm female. It also matters what kind of shape you're in. Once I got pneumonia and lost 7 pounds, but my measurements stayed about the same and my muscle turned to flab.
  • Ldbg289
    Ldbg289 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Mine is kinda mid range for what is healthy for me, however when I get there if I don't like the way I look I will reset it for something else.
  • Happymelz
    Happymelz Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    I went with the weight that I was at about 7 years ago when my husband asked me to no lose anymore.

Should have listened because it is a weight that I am happiest at...I was just shooting for a certain number last time and obviously couldn't maintain that or else I wouldn't be doing it all over again.
  • outofworkpediatrician
    Options
    i calculated my goal weight from BMI. i want my BMI to be on the lower side of normal (something like 20) so, even if i gain some weight back, i would still be in a healthy range. so i chose 120 lb.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    Initially it was using the classic formula of My_Height_in_cm - 110cm = Perfect_weight_in_KG, so for my case is 171-110 = 61kg.

Later on I had a friend who was the same height, relatively the same built as me and I asked her how much she was weighing as she had the body that I did wish I had - she said 59kg, so I decided that maybe at the result given to me by my old school formula I will look quite great.

But then again, in the past few years, I've realized that weight is not all that important because I might be at a greater weight but have the same body size as someone who is much lighter than I am due to difference in muscle mass. So, right now I'm semi-aiming at that weight, but also aiming at those skinny jeans size 6 that I bought many moons ago that I want to squeeze in and in which I know I will look quite alright :P

my height = 154cm

my lean body mass = 107lb (or 49kg) - this is the weight of all the non-fat parts of my body, i.e. what I'd weigh at 0% body fat. (theoreticallyspeaking, seeing as it's impossible to get body fat down to zero without major muscle mass loss)

154 - 110 = 44kg (97lb)

Seriously? That would be a body fat percentage in minus numbers. No way I'm going to starve off that much lean body mass.

Definitely don't use a method like this. All these one-number-fits-all types of methods seem to give numbers that would be dangerously underweight for a lot of people of that height... the number it gave me is only suitable for someone with an extremely small frame. It's actually in the underweight range according to BMI for my height (100-132lb) therefore only people who are outliers in terms of very small frame size would be healthy at this weight. Granted that I'm possibly an outlier in the opposite direction (i.e. size of my shoulders and rib cage are large for a woman of any height... when compared to my short height they're relatively that much larger, these are the main reasons why my lean body mass is high for my height, plus doing heavy lifting)

Body fat percentage is probably the best way to figure out a goal weight, i.e. calculate your body fat percentage, decide what you want it to be, use that info to calculate what you'll weigh at your ideal body fat percentage, and focus on losing fat while maintaining lean mass.

As for my goal weight.... I have no idea what it is, but I'll know when I get there. My ideal weight is however much I happen to weigh when I can deadlift 300lb.
  • GC527
    GC527 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I don't have a goal weight. I have a lot of weight to lose so I've decided to set 10 pound increments until I am happy and comfortable and then I will go on with maintenance. I know I want to lose at least 100 pounds but after that it will be up to my body and how I feel :)
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    I just picked a number that sounded like a good target, I have a body type I am working for more than a number on the scale and overall fitness & health goals.
  • ndrec
    ndrec Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    stopped losing weight when I clearly could see the V lines
  • missomgitsica
    missomgitsica Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    I don't have a predetermined goal weight . . . I'm just going to go until I like how I feel and look and call it good. :)
  • kiniece
    kiniece Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I've looked at all the charts and all the ranges but how do you really settle on a goal weight? I'm so confused on what I should shoot for!

I chose 10 lbs more than my weight when I got married 22 years ago. I'm still 5lbs away from that target and have decided on maintenance at a healthy weight rather than a specific number...and I'm perfectly okay with it. I look better, feel better and all my labs are within NORMAL limits again....so I'm happy at the weight my body chose. :drinker:
  • Siodemers22
    Siodemers22 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have a lot of weight to lose, but I picked a smaller, much more manageable goal, so that I don't get discouraged (hopefully). Right now I'm trying to lose at least 20 lbs before a family trip at the end of the summer. I'm planning to keep doing these small goals until I find where I am comfortable.