How did YOU determine your Goal Weight

Options

Replies

• tomomatic
    tomomatic Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    My goal weight is my college weight after sophomore year. I was at my best before I decided to throw it all away and hit the books.
  • jonnyman41
    jonnyman41 Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    I went with a weight I used to be lol. It is mid BMI and when I was that weight I was pretty healthy and could still enjoy food though being younger I did not realise quite what I had then. I have weighed less as an adult but it would not be healthy on me now I am older.
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    I got my body fat tested and then figured out how much fat I would have to lose to go from my current 28% down to 20%. So optimally I would eventually go from 172 to 155. This was important for me because I am 5'5" but have a lot of muscle, so even though I will be at only 20% BF, I will still be overweight according to BMI charts. It helped me realize that BMI chart is not a good tool for me based on my muscle mass. Now I get my BF tested every month and actually reaching my BF goal is more important to me than a number on a scale.
  • heathercicle
    heathercicle Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I used the MFP BMI calculator, which gives a general weight range (http://www.myfitnesspal.com/tools/bmi-calculator) for your height, then decided that the middle of the range would be good. Like the poster that I quoted below, if I get near or at my goal and decide I want to reevaluate, then I'm going to do that. I've seen pictures of super fit women who weigh 10-15 lbs more than my goal (by their own words), which is what inspired my change in opinion regarding my ultimate goal weight.
    You're not committed to your goal weight -- if you get partway there and decide you're done, that's fine, if you get there and decide you're not done, that's also fine.

I'm considering getting to that 15 lb mark before my goal weight and switching my goal from weight loss to muscle gain.

Anyway, I hope this helps!
  • hyperbeth1
    hyperbeth1 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I was 114 before I got pregnant with my 4th kid. I have a small build. I am hovering between 127-130. I want to get down to 115. I also hit 30 this past year, and I can definitely tell a difference in my metabolism. It is much slower than when I was 27 and 114. I just want to feel good about myself again!!!
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    When I first started losing, I had a goal weight that was based on what I weighed in high school. But I quickly realized that 115 pounds at 5'7" is just scrawny, and that I wanted to keep my curves, just lean down and harden muscles. I was a 0-3 at 115, and now I'm a 6 at 160. I'd like to be around 145, and a size 4 now.
  • svsl0928
    svsl0928 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    There is different concerns for the charts used by Drs. and others. I was told they are not designed for African Americans. I also heard on the radio that you should be within 20 pounds of your high school weight. Of course, this depends on you being thin at that time. I an currently 8 pounds under my high school weight. I also heard that the avg person could weight 30 pounds over the chart weight and still be healthy. With that being said, I have set my goal Wgt to 185 which is 25 over the chart for a female my height, age and frame. I hope this helps.

Ps: Also since I have never been this Wgt as an adult I wanted something I could maintain. I am shouting for a size 12 which I can wear in some styles.
  • VCopple
    VCopple Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    My doctor told me I should not weigh more than 150. I was 135 all through high school until I turned 23. Then I got a desk job and hit a major depression patch which shot me up to 175 and then I got pregnant and shot up to 200. I am not as active as I was when I was in high school nor when I was waiting tables. At 135 I was a size 9 pant and Medium shirt.

I have set my goal weight for 150 so I am where my doctor wants me. Once I get back down to 150 I will see how my clothes are fitting and if I can maintain 150 for at least a year. Then I want to try to get down to 140. For me it is about being able to fit into my clothes and feel confident in my body. I also want to get rid of the back pain that is caused by my extra large chest.

I figure it took me a year to gain 40 pounds, so it will probably take me at least a year to drop 40.
  • crsawinton
    crsawinton Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I went with my athletic weight from high school, which when I just put 20% body fat into a % calculator came up with my goal weight :)
  • idlehands79
    Options
    I got tested for my BMI and when I asked what would be my ideal goal, the doctor pointed out 160 lbs of the weight I was carrying was 'muscle'. The rest being fat of course. Now, I've always been heavy, the lowest weight in my adult life was when I got down to 217 lbs. I'm only 5'4'' and I had not been working out at the time I had that done. (about a month ago)

I don't know really what kind of build I am, I'm pear shaped like my mother who was thin for most of her life. I would love to get down to 160 lbs, currently I'm much, much more than that. But is that the ideal or would I still be considered overweight?
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    Picked one at random that wasn't too unattainable. When I got there I still had a lot of pudge so I reset it.
    This is exactly what I did and it worked out. I hit it and then decided I could stand to lose a little more. That was better for me than being too aggressive because I really didn't know till I got there.
  • jmv7117
    jmv7117 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    I used the ideal weight for my gender, age, and height using an app for a value of 111.8 lb. Since I was losing vanity weight, I set that as my goal. Then I changed from a weight goal to a BF goal of 18% and BMI of 19 which puts me at the low end of my healthy weight range. Each of the apps and calculators seem to have different ranges. I know that lower than BMI 18.5 is considered to be underweight so I will stay above that. I'm not sure whether I will stop at 111.8 lb or not. I'll likely go a little lower though.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    It's where I have been before and felt comfortable at... and it's in the middle of my heights suggested weight range.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    I got tested for my BMI and when I asked what would be my ideal goal, the doctor pointed out 160 lbs of the weight I was carrying was 'muscle'. The rest being fat of course. Now, I've always been heavy, the lowest weight in my adult life was when I got down to 217 lbs. I'm only 5'4'' and I had not been working out at the time I had that done. (about a month ago)

I don't know really what kind of build I am, I'm pear shaped like my mother who was thin for most of her life. I would love to get down to 160 lbs, currently I'm much, much more than that. But is that the ideal or would I still be considered overweight?

The ideal is whatever you feel most comfortable with. Set an attainable goal, attain it, then re-evaluate. No need to get ahead of yourself.
  • coloredswirls
    Options
    I picked mine because I've been that weight before and know what it looks like. I didn't have a whole lot to lose to begin with (25 lbs), so it was easy to figure out where I wanted to be. My lowest weight was 125, but I was a 17 year old girl with absolutely no shape, so it would be really hard for me to get there again. So my goal is 130, but I'm more concerned with how my body looks than a number on a scale.

Hear, hear.
  • sabrina19782014
    sabrina19782014 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    For me, my goal weight was when I looked and felt my best, so I decided to work to get there again. :)

thats exactly how I am working on reaching my goal
  • idlehands79
    Options

The ideal is whatever you feel most comfortable with. Set an attainable goal, attain it, then re-evaluate. No need to get ahead of yourself.

I've decided to set my goal for the weight I was when I met my husband (which was nearly 10 years ago). I felt comfortable and at the time I was working out and eating healthier. If I'd stayed with that routine, I wouldn't be in this situation but it is what it is and I can't change the past. Only the future. :)
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Picked the highest number on the BMI chart in the "healthy" range for my height. I don't know how I'll feel at that weight, but BMI is all doctors go by for deciding if I'm "healthy" or "OMGDEATHFAT".
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    with my body build - broad and stocky - to get into the 'good' range on the BMI charts I would have to lose a lot of muscle mass so I chose a number that was in the low end of the over-weight category - I want to be healthy and still have muscles!

ETA: if I have to go to the mat with the Dr about the stupid BMI numbers, so be it - my goal is a weight that I feel comfortable at!
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Dart board?

I don't particularly have a long term goal weight - I chose 170lb recently, then rounded down to 168 as it's 12 stone as a round figure.

However, as my weight loss seems to have slowed at 173lb, decided I'll take that as happy with "where I am" and start a 'lean' bulk for a bit.