Paleo.

Options

Replies

• martyqueen52
    martyqueen52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Thoughts?

Have fun blowing your *kitten* out in the bathroom on a low carb / high protein diet.

Paleo is a joke.

Why does everyone think paleo is necessarily low carb?

If I wanted to blow out a bathroom, I'd switch to raw 80/10/10. Too much fruit is...liberating (but not in a good way).

90% of online Paleo programs are low carb. Unless you make your own, but the majority of people are too stupid to do so, I'm going with the general consensus assumption.

Maybe you need to educate yourself more on the paleo diet! Plus as most people eating paleo aren't building unnecessary larger muscles why do they need to eat large volumes of carbs anyway.

h5E7954E7

I know all about Paleo, thanks anyhow. Like I said, I'm going off of what is available online (most bought and used programs), not **** people make up. I never once said anything about eating large amounts of carbs... not sure where you pulled that from. Your *kitten* maybe?

lol - you seem butthurt.

Sorry didn't mean to offend.

How is replying to your idiotic question being "butt-hurt"? You're claiming I said something I didn't say... just correcting stupidity, not butt-hurt, bra.

If you say so - lol. :smile:

I did say so, srs. [8^)
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Protein certainly isn't a "problem" long term. There's no science supporting that, barring a pre-existing kidney disease.

Excessive protein will be converted to blood glucose--it isn't a free ride. There is plenty of science supporting the connection of high amounts of animal protein and osteoporosis. But, you must know that.
    There's plenty of science "connecting" breathing air and drinking water to cancer. I'm much more interested in causes, not weak correlations. As for "excessive" protein being converted to glucose, that's a very long, complex process, that really doesn't happen very efficiently. The body would much rather store amino acids and utilize them for the tissue and organ repair and maintenance they are used for. Unless of course you are restricting carbohydrates, then the body is forced to convert protein into glucose. Of course, gluconeogenesis converts fatty acids into glucose as well, so I suppose we can say the same thing about excessive fat consumption? And that doesn't even get into the whole "what is excessive?" question, for which I've seen the answer in the several hundred grams per day, based on activity levels.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options

I did say so, srs. [8^)

Again sorry for any offence caused.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    Thoughts?

Have fun blowing your *kitten* out in the bathroom on a low carb / high protein diet.

Paleo is a joke.

If I wanted to blow out a bathroom, I'd switch to raw 80/10/10. Too much fruit is...liberating (but not in a good way).

90% of online Paleo programs are low carb. Unless you make your own, but the majority of people are too stupid to do so, I'm going with the general consensus assumption.

What do you consider to be low carb? How many grams / day?

My perception on a target carb G%'s has nothing to do with online programs being sold, labeled as "Low carb Paleo"

I appreciate that. I did paleo for a few years, not anymore (I missed my bread). I personally did not find it to be low carb. I averaged a little over 200 grams per day of carbs.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    oh and final note, I find it amusing that your diary is private yet you are the one arguing for "quality of calories"….what are you trying to hide?

Testify.

It's a recurring theme for those who like to preach the "right" foods for everyone else.

You and your cohorts are those who preach the mantra of "calories in-calories out". I have been on many, many calorie restricted diets--they do not work LONG TERM. Look at the miserable statistics of regain. I have found what works for me and I am merely trying to share it with others in the hope that it will help them too. Peace.

(I have cohorts??? Dammit! I want minions...(a whole horde of them...to do my evil bidding)...not cohorts. :grumble:)

You missed the point. (Well, actually, I'm sure you got the point...it's just that you deflected it so you wouldn't have to respond to it.)

TL;DR - You hide behind a closed diary and nitpick at others' diaries. That is disingenuous behavior, at best.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    oh and final note, I find it amusing that your diary is private yet you are the one arguing for "quality of calories"….what are you trying to hide?

Testify.

It's a recurring theme for those who like to preach the "right" foods for everyone else.

You and your cohorts are those who preach the mantra of "calories in-calories out". I have been on many, many calorie restricted diets--they do not work LONG TERM. Look at the miserable statistics of regain. I have found what works for me and I am merely trying to share it with others in the hope that it will help them too. Peace.

(I have cohorts??? Dammit! I want minions...(a whole horde of them...to do my evil bidding)...not cohorts. :grumble:)

You missed the point. (Well, actually, I'm sure you got the point...it's just that you deflected it so you wouldn't have to respond to it.)

TL;DR - You hide behind a closed diary and nitpick at others' diaries. That is disingenuous behavior, at best.

Go on then have some minions.

giphy.gif
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Thoughts?

Paleo is a joke.

My perception on a target carb G%'s has nothing to do with online programs being sold, labeled as "Low carb Paleo"

I appreciate that. I did paleo for a few years, not anymore (I missed my bread). I personally did not find it to be low carb. I averaged a little over 200 grams per day of carbs.

Similar experience to ^this. (In fact, I'm eating lower carbs now than a couple of years ago when I was eating strict paleo.)

I guess I just got "lucky" back then and happened to stumble blindly into one of the "programs" in the 10%. *phew* Dodged a bullet there.

Or, I did some research and quickly learned that paleo wasn't necessarily low-carb...which was the point of my post. Apparently, the test is based on the ratio of programs found online though.
  • StacyRenee77
    StacyRenee77 Posts: 2,732 Member
    Options
    Lmao I love this. Remember what works for one person may not work for another, it is that simple!!
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    post-37769-I-requested-minions-of-darknes-Mt2V.jpeg

Here's a cat gif for you, just to bring this whole thing back on topic.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,641 Member
    Options
    post-37769-I-requested-minions-of-darknes-Mt2V.jpeg

Here's a cat gif for you, just to bring this whole thing back on topic.

Ermagurdz....KITTENS!!!!!!
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    All power to those who enjoy it, me, not a chance. I would be trading in my muscles for noodles since I don't like the taste of meat and I LOVE LOVE LOVE anything dairy and beans.
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options

I took a peek at your food diary. Sorry, but if you don't want that, you should make it private.

My analysis: While you were a bit heavy on the protein, I'm assuming that you are trying to bulk. But you still were very light on vegetables and I saw no fruit at all. Vegetables and fruits are an important source of many beneficial substances and I would fear for your long term health. In addition, you start from a much higher calorie allowance than most females. Mine is set at 1,450---I have very little room for error. I must cut out the empty calories of added sugar and starch or I will not even come close to adequately nourishing myself for my longer term health goals. Just sayin.'

I am 45 years old, don't know exactly where I am on the menopause spectrum, and although my diary is public, I just came back from vacation, so my logging is poor right now.

I am just under 27% body fat. I'm planning on getting down to 24% in the next few months.

Like ndj1979, my body obeys the laws of thermodynamics.

If you wanted to, you could set your calorie goal higher and simply move more.
    I can't say enough about the benefits of lifting weights.

Ndj is younger & male, but he has an awesome physique because he chooses to, not because of his age or gender.

ETA: I have plenty of room in my diet for less nutrient dense foods, while still hitting my nutrition goals.

Thanks for the snotty response. I would love to move more except that I have arthritis--like so many people my age. I do what I can--I go to the pool twice a week and when I feel up to it, I walk. I already lift weights. Years of high carbohydrate, calorie restricted diets have done a lot to destroy my health but I am currently healthier than I have been in a long time. But thanks for being concerned. :flowerforyou:

I assume any response that doesn't support your argument is 'snotty'?

It's funny... some of the most fit people on MFP deal with and /or have overcome health obstacles. You really have no idea.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Thoughts?

Paleo is a joke.

Similar experience to ^this. (In fact, I'm eating lower carbs now than a couple of years ago when I was eating strict paleo.)

I guess I just got "lucky" back then and happened to stumble blindly into one of the "programs" in the 10%. *phew* Dodged a bullet there.

Or, I did some research and quickly learned that paleo wasn't necessarily low-carb...which was the point of my post. Apparently, the test is based on the ratio of programs found online though.

Also my experience. I have not seen a whole lot of the low carb versions (even after searching after reading this thread since my question wasn't answered). The Whole 30 plan specifically addresses extra carbs for active people. Same with the Paleo Diet for Athletes and Robb Wolf's version.
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    giving simplistic nostrums like "calories in--calories out" does nothing to help anyone to curb the problem long term.
    Actually, it does.

It is the very basis of what ANYONE needs to lose weight.

The fact that people try and claim they are special fairies who it doesn't apply to is much more of a problem, I would suggest.

While it is true that anyone can restrict calories and lose WEIGHT in the short term (you'll note that I SAID "long term"). But non-OCD individuals find calorie-restrictive diets tedious. That is why the weight-regain figures are so miserable. Calorie-restriction is ultimately not very effective for most people in terms of PERMANENT weight loss. In the end, WHAT you eat is easily as important as HOW MUCH you eat. I come here to share what has been effective for me and others on a long-term basis. I actually do not follow a strongly Paleo diet but I do eliminate wheat and added sugar (as the least painful/healthiest way to control blood glucose--which is a large part of controlling tendencies toward obesity).

so people that count calories are OCD, really?

Oh lawd here we go again ..so I can eat 500 calories of "quality" food, be over maintenance level, and still lose weight?

No, I did not say that. I easily stay within my calorie limit by employing food choices (and have for three years and counting). When I allow myself to eat whatever I like within my "no added sugar-no wheat" parameters, I find under-eating to be the biggest danger and that would be counter-productive in the longer term because it would cut lean body mass.

back tracking now?

you said that non-ocd individual find calorie counting tedious; hence, the implication is that anyone who counts calories and does not find it tedious is OCD ….

fixed the typo….

I was more or less joking on that assertion. Nevertheless, maintaining one's weight while calorie-counting IS a tedious affair. And further, it doesn't work because it is extremely difficult to be that precise. Eating just 100 calories more than what you need per day (and that is easily within measurement error) will just as easily put 70 pounds on you within 10 years. Or you can yo-yo up and down during that ten years--bleh. I have found what works for me.

How would anyone gain that much weight, even if it were just 25 pounds in three years without noticing it ? I maintained my 110 pounds ( for someone under 5 feet within the high normal range ) all my adult life by sometimes eating normal, sometimes eating a bit more ( on special occasions ) and then making up for it by eating less, or eating lighter. Losing and gaining within a 5-10 pound parameter is pretty much normal for all normal weight people and is not considered yo-yo-ing....it's just the normal way things balance out.
    I wish I had stopped and eaten 100 calories less and I had not gained 80 pounds over the last eleven years ( not counting the last year when I lost 50 of them )...but personal reasons kept me from doing so. And btw: yes, I noticed that I gained weight....I just did not care at the time.

They WOULD notice and then many of them would get on the yo-yo dieting treadmill. I've been there and done it all. Now I maintain my weight effortlessly (in fact, I will probably lose another 5-7 pounds this year)--all without "dieting". I count calories only to ensure that I eat enough calories. When one eats nutrient-dense food, one is satisfied with many fewer calories.

you just told Ndj that it's difficult to stay under goal because your goal is so low due to your age, etc. but here you're saying that it's difficult to eat enough nutrient dense food to make your goal.

okay.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Protein certainly isn't a "problem" long term. There's no science supporting that, barring a pre-existing kidney disease.

Excessive protein will be converted to blood glucose--it isn't a free ride. There is plenty of science supporting the connection of high amounts of animal protein and osteoporosis. But, you must know that.
    There's plenty of science "connecting" breathing air and drinking water to cancer. I'm much more interested in causes, not weak correlations. As for "excessive" protein being converted to glucose, that's a very long, complex process, that really doesn't happen very efficiently. The body would much rather store amino acids and utilize them for the tissue and organ repair and maintenance they are used for. Unless of course you are restricting carbohydrates, then the body is forced to convert protein into glucose. Of course, gluconeogenesis converts fatty acids into glucose as well, so I suppose we can say the same thing about excessive fat consumption? And that doesn't even get into the whole "what is excessive?" question, for which I've seen the answer in the several hundred grams per day, based on activity levels.

It's all bio-chemistry. Eating large amounts of "acid-forming" animal protein (and acid-forming grains) in the absence of the buffering effect of alkaline-forming vegetables (and fruits) is a ticket to osteoporosis because the body is forced to pull buffering minerals from the bones in order to keep the blood slightly alkaline, which it must control within a very narrow range. This has been known about for some time.
  • SanteMulberry
    Options

Testify.

news flash - if you are losing long term then you are following calories in vs calories out ...

news flash - I well know that. But how I achieve it makes all the difference. The components of the diet are very important for me to achieve my health goals. Period.
  • skinnykimmy14
    Options
    :)
  • SanteMulberry
    Options

Testify.

I don't typically look at the food diaries of anyone but my friends. I find it laughable that you think I am "hiding" behind a closed diary or that I am generally interested in nitpicking those of others (my friends could tell you that I don't "nitpick" their diets). They might eat some things that I wouldn't eat but they have their own choices to make. I was actually surprised to note the absence of what I consider to be junk food, on his diary.
  • Sreneesa
    Sreneesa Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    nvm...

lol
  • SanteMulberry
    Options

I took a peek at your food diary. Sorry, but if you don't want that, you should make it private.

My analysis: While you were a bit heavy on the protein, I'm assuming that you are trying to bulk. But you still were very light on vegetables and I saw no fruit at all. Vegetables and fruits are an important source of many beneficial substances and I would fear for your long term health. In addition, you start from a much higher calorie allowance than most females. Mine is set at 1,450---I have very little room for error. I must cut out the empty calories of added sugar and starch or I will not even come close to adequately nourishing myself for my longer term health goals. Just sayin.'

I am 45 years old, don't know exactly where I am on the menopause spectrum, and although my diary is public, I just came back from vacation, so my logging is poor right now.

I am just under 27% body fat. I'm planning on getting down to 24% in the next few months.

Like ndj1979, my body obeys the laws of thermodynamics.

If you wanted to, you could set your calorie goal higher and simply move more.
    I can't say enough about the benefits of lifting weights.

Ndj is younger & male, but he has an awesome physique because he chooses to, not because of his age or gender.

ETA: I have plenty of room in my diet for less nutrient dense foods, while still hitting my nutrition goals.

Thanks for the snotty response. I would love to move more except that I have arthritis--like so many people my age. I do what I can--I go to the pool twice a week and when I feel up to it, I walk. I already lift weights. Years of high carbohydrate, calorie restricted diets have done a lot to destroy my health but I am currently healthier than I have been in a long time. But thanks for being concerned. :flowerforyou:

I assume any response that doesn't support your argument is 'snotty'?

It's funny... some of the most fit people on MFP deal with and /or have overcome health obstacles. You really have no idea.

No--I was noting your tone, not your content. I have dealt with most of my health obstacles ("pre-diabetes", hypertension and obesity), thank you for your concern. The last one to go is arthritis. It has improved significantly because of the diet I follow (and the weight loss, of course).