How to eat before a 10K

Options
13»

Replies

• biddy249
    biddy249 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I usually have a banana before hand and make sure you have been hydrating all week. If your longest run is under 5 miles you may not be ready for a 10K. That being said don't put too much pressure on yourself to complete the race without stopping. Go with the run / walk method and you will have a better experience. Just enjoy the journey and keep up the hard work until you can knock down 6 to 7 miles in your training with no problem. Have fun.
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    carbo load the night before with things like rice or sweet potatoes. Make sure you are extremely well hydrated not just day of, but day before and the week leading up to your run. I don't usually eat anymore before a morning fun run, or if I do, I eat about 1- 2 ounces of plain almonds. One reason, I'm usually too nervous. Secondly, I would advise against a lot of carbs before as it will raise your insulin levels, especially if this is a morning run. Also advise that you DO NOT eat a food you're not used to eating that morning. it'll mess with your stomach.

eat some protein, baby! ;) protein for the long haul. you can eat a banana afterwards!

Ridiculous advice about not eating carbs before racing! Every athlete does this. What's wrong with raising a bit of insulin. You're getting confused about taking in too much high GI at once and sitting around. The carbs you choose should be different releasing combo and mixed with fat and protein.

Athletes dump high GI gels and glucose 10 mins before they race and during, if it's a long one. It gets used. It makes your fast, and stops the body having to break down fat and body tissue which is taxing and too slow for racing.

Eat protein? After weight training yep!

Carb load the night before? Adequate carbs the night before, slow releasing at that, your not racing at night. In the morning you're glycogen depleted and it's then a great time to load. 3 hours before you race with a pick me up.

If the workout is early then some quick carbs an hour to ten minutes before will do.
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    Sounds like an overall nutrition issue. Usually, a runner won't have to think about special nutritional need for a distance up to a half marathon. What is your intake like? If you opened your diary, I could give more specific advice, but here's some general stuff:

I wouldn't suggest eating anything different before your run (nothing new on race day), but increase your calories in the days leading up to the race. You'll want to keep your glycogen stores topped off.

Normally, I will eat a banana and some peanut butter or some toast about 2 hours before the race starts.

I am pretty new to running regularly, so I wouldn't quite classify myself as a runner...yet. ;)
    I am doing a meal replacement program under my doctor's care, and it is low calorie. I was actually stalling out on weight loss from not eating enough. And I sure wasn't gaining any distance. So I have added a meal on the days that I run. Usually a lean meat, salad or other green veggie and a carb like brown rice or potato.
    I haven't been logging my food on MFP much lately since it has all been meal replacement.
    this may be why you run out of energy. You need to eat enough food to get your nutritional requirements. You may not be doing this.
  • TheFitnessTutor
    TheFitnessTutor Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Hi

It's complex this fuelling thing!

Please don't eat 1100 on the day of your race! That leaves you only 500 for repairs and living. You need to be at BMR plus 600 at least.

Take your maintenance cals (the sedentary figure, mines 1750 per day, I'm 128lb and 5'7")and add 600. Then take away 100-200 cals. You'll still be losing weight, but your health won't be at risk. Body has to get energy from somewhere, you don't want to leech good stuff out of muscles, bones, and organs. Yep. Heart tissue. Not good.

If you still insist on being dangerously low cal, then consider walking to get your deficit. It's less harmful.

This.

I got chewed out by someone on my FL because I was complaining about feeling awful after a 10k run the other night... I've only been eating 1500 a day (5'8 167lbs) and 10k burns 600 calories for me. You're asking your engine to run on fumes, that's why you're running out of energy. I *still* feel crappy two days later.

From your profile picture you look great, why such extremely low calories? I think you need to make a conscious decision between running and eating more real food or quitting the running (or cutting down to much shorter distances) and continuing your vlcd.

Because I need to lose about 25 pounds to be in a "healthy" weight range. I need to lose weight. When I eat more, I don't lose anything. Nothing. Sadly, even with this, I am not losing anywhere near where others are losing doing the same plan. :(
    This is simply because you've trained your metabolic set point to be low. Happens all the time. Now you have to eat super low to lose weight. Not only is this an energetic problem but a nutritional one as well. you need to slowly increase your intake
  • TheFitnessTutor
    TheFitnessTutor Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Also if you're like most people your protein has been way too low for your goals and training and you need to up that. You should be trying to get to 150grams minimum if you like running. Nitrogen balance, there is such a thing. Either you're recycling your nitrogen or not. If you're recycling it, aka burning muscle to recover muscle, which you probably are, you're fighting an uphill battle. You're in a constant state of recovery and as others pointed too that's not just a 24 hour thing. If you want to train for athletic performance you don't eat at a deficit as your nutritional needs go UP not down. If you're consistent with running, as someone else stated, you should be consistent with eating. Noone should be eating sub 1000 calories unless you're under a doctors care for some kind of emergency.
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    Also if you're like most people your protein has been way too low for your goals and training and you need to up that. You should be trying to get to 150grams minimum if you like running. Nitrogen balance, there is such a thing. Either you're recycling your nitrogen or not. If you're recycling it, aka burning muscle to recover muscle, which you probably are, you're fighting an uphill battle. You're in a constant state of recovery and as others pointed too that's not just a 24 hour thing. If you want to train for athletic performance you don't eat at a deficit as your nutritional needs go UP not down. If you're consistent with running, as someone else stated, you should be consistent with eating. Noone should be eating sub 1000 calories unless you're under a doctors care for some kind of emergency.

Interesting about the nitrogen recovery. Any good links? I've always thought it was silly to make the body break down it's fat and tissue reserves to fuel sports, rather than just getting it from calories ingested.(yes there will be some body fat usage but the lower the percent the better)

It's less hard work right? I mean your asking the body to do so much already. That's why I think people should get the fat loss part of their plan done first, by deficit and low impact exercise before becoming more competitive.

I believed the general consensus was .8g of protein per lb of body weight. 150g may be a bit high yes?
  • ggluvbug1
    ggluvbug1 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Ok, I ended up doing okay today. Last night, I ate a healthy salad, a small piece of pizza, and one cheese ravioli. This morning, I got up a little early so I had time to let my food settle before I started. I drank one of meal replacements. They have both carbs and protein. I also had a small bowl of granola cereal with skim milk.
    I ran the whole race! The massive number of people slowed my pace down from 10:30 to 11:25, but that made a big difference. I never stopped! Not one walk break. :) I did the whole thing in an hour and 10 minutes. That 4th mile was pretty rough. But then I guess I got a second wind (never really seems to have happened before) and I ended up finishing my last mile faster than the rest of the race. The shuttle line back to the Superdome was stupid long, so I just walked back to the hotel--another 4 miles.
    After the race, I made myself eat (some fruit and jambalaya)--I didn't want to. I don't like eating after I workout. Makes me sick feeling. And I have had several healthy snacks (apple, cheese, pretzels, banana) this afternoon. Eating some chicken and a salad tonight--I even splurged on ranch dressing over my usual light balsamic. All told, I have eaten 1400 calories today--much more than I usually do. I don't trust Run Keeper's calories burned, so it was hard to let myself eat some of those calories, but I did. I guess I need a heart rate monitor.
    Thank you for the thoughts you shared with me. I do appreciate it!!!
  • ggluvbug1
    ggluvbug1 Posts: 87 Member
    Options

Interesting about the nitrogen recovery. Any good links? I've always thought it was silly to make the body break down it's fat and tissue reserves to fuel sports, rather than just getting it from calories ingested.(yes there will be some body fat usage but the lower the percent the better)

It's less hard work right? I mean your asking the body to do so much already. That's why I think people should get the fat loss part of their plan done first, by deficit and low impact exercise before becoming more competitive.

I believed the general consensus was .8g of protein per lb of body weight. 150g may be a bit high yes?

I would love for low impact exercise and calorie restriction to work without being painstakingly slow. I know I have probably wrecked my metabolism with all the severe calorie restriction, but I really don't know what else to do.

I am 170 right now, so at .8, I would need to be at 136 grams of protein a day. I can't even imagine how I would eat that much in protein.