Why did I gain a pound back if I didn't even eat!

Replies

• BadKittie05
    BadKittie05 Posts: 157 Member
    Because nothing tastes as good as skinny feelz, yo.

You've clearly never been to Popeye's.

They really need to stop advertising that Cajun surf and turf lol
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,501 Member
    What do you think will happen with the cravings when you get off the medication?

They will be there, but feeling and looking better is more important to me than the tasty piece of cake or whatever might be the craving of the moment.

Good gawd I didn't realize I was going to need to defend myself for trying something along with the other important things.
    Feeling and looking better isn't always the best inspiration though. If it were, then no one would be overweight in the first place. And if that were really your motivation, as mentioned "why do you even need the medication then?" Apparently it's not enough.
    Not trying to be mean, just looking at it logically. I've been doing this for over 30 years and this isn't the first time I've heard this story. Haven't seen one yet that has the happy ending they were looking for.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Did you by chance read any of my other posts? I'm getting help on multiple levels to help me achieve my goals. Also not trying to be mean, but want you to be aware of the whole picture instead of my inability to fully convey my thoughts in an online forum.
    Which still has nothing to do with addressing the issue of controlling your eating habits. Let's say everything except for the eating issues gets solved. If you're still not in control of how you eat, you'll gain weight. Not my rules, that's just how it works. You can take medication to reduce cravings and appetite, but if you're thinking that once you hit your goal weight or look that it's going to go away without the medication, then you will more than likely be in for a rude awakening. Especially when once you're off it and are confronted with food they you associate with happiness.
    You're dealing with it as an individual. I've dealt with several dozens of individuals attempting the same. As a professional in the business, you can trust when I say that the success results from this type of program are very very low.
    Whether you believe me or not is your option.

IDEA Fitness member
  • BadKittie05
    Which still has nothing to do with addressing the issue of controlling your eating habits. Let's say everything except for the eating issues gets solved. If you're still not in control of how you eat, you'll gain weight. Not my rules, that's just how it works. You can take medication to reduce cravings and appetite, but if you're thinking that once you hit your goal weight or look that it's going to go away without the medication, then you will more than likely be in for a rude awakening. Especially when once you're off it and are confronted with food they you associate with happiness.
    You're dealing with it as an individual. I've dealt with several dozens of individuals attempting the same. As a professional in the business, you can trust when I say that the success results from this type of program are very very low.

IDEA Fitness member

So, you're saying that even though I am getting professional help with how to address the way I view food and my eating habits, I'm STILL going to fail??
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member

IDEA Fitness member

So, you're saying that even though I am getting professional help with how to address the way I view food and my eating habits, I'm STILL going to fail??

I don't think anyone is saying you WILL fail, but in our experience and opinion your methods significantly increase the likelihood of that outcome.
  • BadKittie05

IDEA Fitness member

I don't think anyone is saying you WILL fail, but in our experience and opinion your methods significantly increase the likelihood of that outcome.

I guess I don't understand how you feel that way. I thought when you had a problem, seeking help to change it was the way to do it. I mean, I'd much rather get help than continue to try and fail and be mad at myself over and over again like I have in the past.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    I guess I don't understand how you feel that way.

I think it's more that you don't *want* to understand how we feel that way.
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    OP
    It's probably water weight from the sodium in the beef broth. Tons of salt
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,501 Member

IDEA Fitness member

There are no absolutes, but the percentage of success with phentermine and keeping the weight off WITHOUT isn't in your favor. You MAY be one of the 10% who succeed, but I wouldn't count on that.
    What you can count on is that if you CAN do it without the medication now, your chances of weight gain will be greatly reduced.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ZombieEarhart
    ZombieEarhart Posts: 320 Member
    Hi my name is kimberly, I started Phentermine on April 2, 2014. I've lost a total of 18.6 Lbs as of yesterday April 17, 2014. I got up this morning to weight myself and it said I gained 1.6 Lbs. I eat dinner everyday and drinks tons of water. Yesterday for dinner I had beef broth. I find it very hard to eat because I have no appetite. I only eat once a day because I have to. I haven't had a bowel movement in over two weeks but I did take laxatives to help me go, but it was just water. Any advice would be great. Thank you.

Yikes. Honey, maybe you should call your doctor and get a referral to a dietitian. This is going nowhere good for you :(
  • ZombieEarhart
    OP

Uh, at this point I'm pretty sure OP needs the sodium. And some carbs, fat, protein, and calories.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    In answer to your asked question OP beef broth has a very high sodium content and with sodium comes higher water retention, your added 1.6 pounds is assuredly water weight.

In answer to your unasked question, you should stop what you are doing immediately and go consult with your doctor. You sound like you are doing something so extreme as to likely cause yourself considerable harm.
  • BadKittie05
    There are no absolutes, but the percentage of success with phentermine and keeping the weight off WITHOUT isn't in your favor. You MAY be one of the 10% who succeed, but I wouldn't count on that.
    What you can count on is that if you CAN do it without the medication now, your chances of weight gain will be greatly reduced.

IDEA Fitness member

So then just stop taking it and hope for the best with only the exercise and tracking my food intake when that hasn't worked in the past?
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member

IDEA Fitness member

I guess I don't understand how you feel that way. I thought when you had a problem, seeking help to change it was the way to do it. I mean, I'd much rather get help than continue to try and fail and be mad at myself over and over again like I have in the past.

I guess the point is, you have to do the work. You have to change your eating habits and learn how to control your eating. The medication helps now with cravings. Once you come off them, you still have to do that work that the meds are doing now, so it is only delaying what needs to be done by you. It is good that you are getting help for emotional eating and stuff, and I wish you success. It is just that in the experience of most of the people commenting here that the meds do not guarantee success, in fact often it is the opposite because people are not able or willing to do the work required once they are off the meds.
  • BadKittie05
    I guess I don't understand how you feel that way.

I think it's more that you don't *want* to understand how we feel that way.

Not true.
  • ZombieEarhart

IDEA Fitness member

So then just stop taking it and hope for the best with only the exercise and tracking my food intake when that hasn't worked in the past?

Yes, that sounds like a good plan. Except figure out what' exactly "hasn't worked in the past." Maybe you were underestimating calories in or overestimating calories out. But there are lots of people around here who will be happy to help you figure it out, so yes, I think you should go with your sarcastically-written plan, yes.
  • BadKittie05

Yes, that sounds like a good plan. Except figure out what' exactly "hasn't worked in the past." Maybe you were underestimating calories in or overestimating calories out. But there are lots of people around here who will be happy to help you figure it out, so yes, I think you should go with your sarcastically-written plan, yes.

Okay.
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    OP

Uh, at this point I'm pretty sure OP needs the sodium. And some carbs, fat, protein, and calories.

Agreed..
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    "Guess we will see" was in response to the idea that someone knows exactly what will happen to me. In other words, I guess we will see if you know everything like you think, or if I will be successful in counting my calories properly, eating properly, working out properly AND taking the "evil little pill". I don't understand how it can be possible to automatically be labeled as "lazy" when I'm putting the work in as well. If I were taking the pill and just sitting around and not eating, sure you could call me "stupid", "uneducated", or accuse me of "not firing on all pistons", but that is simply not the case. I don't expect this to be an easy journey, and contrary to what it seems as though people believe will happen, I PLAN (there's the word you're looking for) to continue to eat properly and exercise after I reach my "goal". And BTW, I don't say "goal weight" because I am more concerned with getting this under control and forming new HABITS that will last me a lifetime. Goal means healthy. Some people need surgery, some people take pills, and some people don't do anything extra. You shouldn't put someone else down just for doing something different from you.
    So, I don't even care about the pills. All I was talking about was posting what you did on a public forum and having an expectation that people weren't going to say negative things. I was thinking of "the definition of insanity", but it's not quite the same. In 100% seriousness, I am glad to hear that you see a counselor. I manage mental illness myself (and I take pills for it, horror of horrors! but there's no talk of how I'm going to manage when I stop taking them, because there is no such time to look forward to), so sometimes I make light of it. If that is the case for you too, but you do not appreciate jokes about it, I sincerely apologize.

If the kind of counseling that you do is cognitive behavioral therapy, then something you might want to keep in mind is, if you have to start out by saying "Y'all don't badger me, but..." on a public forum, you might wanna rethink that course of behavior. It's not likely to lead where you want to go. It's a little bit like starting off with "I'm not a racist, but...", if you see what I mean. It's a red flag.
  • JessG11
    JessG11 Posts: 345 Member
    I think these pills have such a low success rate because people don't change any of their habits. They expect these pills to be a miracle "take this you'll be thin" type of fad. But I've not seen where using the meds (in the manner she is using them: with regular meetings with her doc and therapist, having a healthier eating plan/patterns and exercising) won't help her control her out of control eating patterns (while doing the aforementioned) and form new habits. So that when she comes off the meds (which you typically do around the end of month three right?) she already has these healthy habits in place which will help her in future cravings and if used correctly could have completely new eating patterns. I mean you'll fail with the pills if you don't change behavior, but she is saying she is changing behaviors. Who is to say she'll not form new healthier habits that will be sustaining in the long run?

ETA: Case in point of someone wishing these to be a miracle and still having unhealthy eating patterns: The OP
  • perseverance14
    perseverance14 Posts: 1,364 Member
    Wow, that does not sound healthy at all.