Walking for weightloss... Does it really work?

Options
Walking is quite underrated.... But it still is original form of exercise... Just wanna know has anyone had real success with just walking and clean eating?

I have tried so many workouts but is usually get bored and give up.... But I live in a neighbourhood where people are walking and running all the time.... On the beach or parks....

I'm thinking I should give walking a good try.... May b start with 30-45 mins a day ...?

But does it really help to go all the way to goal weight? I have about 20 kgs to lose

Replies

• DrJenO
    DrJenO Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Eating at a calorie deficit works.

When I started, I couldn't get myself to exercise at all, but I decided I was no longer going to use that as an excuse to overeat and continue to be obese. I began tracking my calories - not perfectly, but way better than I had been. It gave me the willpower to ignore the donuts in the break room.

When I began regular exercise, walking was ALL I did. Don't care for cycling, running hurt my knees, don't have time for the gym, don't have room in my house for an eliptical, don't have access to a pool, etc. That left walking, which I now do twice a week (4.5-5.5 miles each time). I'm going to start a running program soon, b/c I just want to get my miles over with rather than taking 1-1.5hrs.

Point being, walking "works" as far as burning calories go, but nothing matters if you aren't eating at a deficit.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit=weight loss
    Exercise=fitness
  • meltedsno
    meltedsno Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    YES..... it does work.... been on a "walking regiman" since July 1, 2013.... I walk a minimum of 10,000 steps a day -- the equivelant of around 5 miles. I use a fitbit, which syncs with MFP. A device such as a fitbit isn't necessary, but it makes daily walking goals much easier for me. I "compete" with friends (and now friends of friends :happy: ) but ultimately, I use it to compete with myself--trying to up my steps -- a few more today than yesterday; a few more tomorrow than today

As for my diet.... most of my meals are steamed vegies w/chicken or tilapia. I do supplement occasionaly with protein shakes and treat myself to an occasional 6" Vegie Sub from Subway (no cheese, no meat -- 230 calories) I do use frozen meals (healthy choice, lean cuisine, weight watchers etc) for lunch during the week -- much easier with my work schedule. I have slowly started adding back some of the "trigger" foods that i would -- in the past -- binge on. Chocolate was one of my danger foods, but found a GREAT single package (110 cal) of dark chocolate pieces or chocolate covered caramels... seldom eat the entire package. Usually 1 or 2 pieces is enough. My other danger food is pretzels -- still working my way through this one, but will physically count out one serving at a time... if I CHOOSE to have more, I count them out and add them to my food list. Peanut butter is the only one I have not yet felt comfortable enough to add back, since I tend to want to eat the whole jar with a spoon.

Anyway... back to the question.... does it really work? Again a big Y-E-S. I don't weigh myself because of my obsession with wanting to weigh numerous times a day and then getting upset when I am not seeing the numbers I want to see.... so... I can tell you this: I started out on July 1, 2013 wearing a very tight size 18/20.... today, I am wearing a size 6 jeans and a size Small top. I have NEVER been smaller than a size 12 (and then it was a tight size 12)...I attribute all this to walking. I know that if -- on the VERY RARE OCCASION that I eat more than normal -- I can jump on my treadmill for a bit and burn off the extra calories... it works!
  • kamk16
    kamk16 Posts: 205
    Options
    I have to say it is way more about what you are eating and how much than about exercise a lot of the time. The first year I tried to loose weight by going to fitness center daily and working out for over an hour most everyday and nothing changed in the weight department until I found my fitness pal and started logging and measuring how much I ate. So walking for exercise should work fine as long as you are really watching your intake that's what it's about. I would say 80% diet (food intake) and 20% exercise in my case anyway.
    It has been a long time since I have logged and I have noticed in the last couple months my weight has started creeping up again so I am back to start doing some logging and watching what I eat. I have been to slacking on the eating. I have been good about still exercising most everyday.
  • VinceDelmonte
    Options
    Hello let me give you some expert advice Walking will help you lose weight but it needs to be at a brisk pace

I would advise doing 30 minutes incline on the treadmill

then increase to 45 then 60 minutes

Vince Delmonte Weight loss expert
  • meltedsno
    meltedsno Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    oh... and yes... eating a calorie deficit is important.... didn't want anyone to think that I was condoning walking only as a means of losing weight.... :happy:
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    Walking is just a form of exercise that burns more calories.

So if you burn more calories you lose weight.

So

It works.
  • farway
    farway Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Yes, it works, along with calorie counting.

Like many I do not use gyms, equipment, etc, just these old legs with a wonky knee, on all days weather permitting

See ticker below for result
  • andylowry
    andylowry Posts: 89
    Options
    Heck yeah, it works. Especially if there are some hills in your neighborhood.
  • Rebamae
    Rebamae Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    I have done nothing in the past but walk and it has always worked.

That being said: I would love to do a walking thread as accountability if anyone is interested. It just really helps me to be accountable, otherwise I have a tendency to put it off, and put it off, and put it off - well you get the picture.

Would any of you be interested?

Thanks
    Reba
  • cajuntank
    cajuntank Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    Diet is the primary way to lose weight as you can never hardly out-exercise what you eat. Calculate how long it takes doing different exercises to burn off calories from one serving of your favorite foods as an example if interested. Exercise (in any form) assists (not dictates) in the weight-loss due to extra calories burned, so anything is better than nothing to assist. Is running better than walking in burning calories (taking into account same amount of time, life variables, etc...)...of course, but if walking is what you like, or only can do, or whatever the situation...then again, anything is better than nothing.

Clean eating varies by context from person to person. Should your diet consist mainly of whole foods...absolutely as they are typically less calorie dense for greater quantity and offer better nutrition micronutrient-wise (vitamins). Does that mean you cannot have what some people term "dirty foods"?... absolutely not. From an adherence standpoint, most people fail in their diet due to not "indulging" in their favorite foods now and again which typically lead to binging and other psychological issues when it comes to food and their diet. For example, I love pizza and as long as it fits into my caloric goals, I will eat pizza every so often. Is it "clean"?...as long as it didn't fall on the floor, then yes, to me, it's clean :laugh:
  • bethlaf
    bethlaf Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    uh , yes that combined with a reduction of intake, works PERFECTLY
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    If you burn more calories than you eat, you'll lose weight. If walking helps you burn those calories, then yes, it will work. Personally, I think walking is brilliant because you can do it anywhere and don't need any special equipment! :)
  • farway
    farway Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    I have done nothing in the past but walk and it has always worked.

That being said: I would love to do a walking thread if anyone is interested. Would any of you be interested?

Thanks
    Reba

Possibly, but not if thread is centred on walking the Himalayas, Cape Town to Mombasa

More just walking down the shops, local area [not some huge national park, open moorlands etc, just plain old suburbs]
  • flatlndr
    flatlndr Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    Let's see ... I'm 71 lbs down ... walking is my main form of exercise ... so I'd have to say "yes, it really does work".
    (Combined with a sensible eating plan, of course)
  • Youretheoneformefatty100
    Options
    Get a fitbit and get walking! I am losing and enjoying it. Eating at a deficit and walking extra to earn back some cals for a glass of wine is a big motivator. (You don't really need a fitbit but I love mine!:wink:
  • scubasuenc
    scubasuenc Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    As others has said, losing weight is about eating at a calorie deficit. Exercise is not required. However, exercise burns calories, so you can eat more and still lose weight. Exercise also helps to make you fitter.

Walking is a wonderful form of exercise. When I started I walked and rode my stationary bike. I have since expanded my exercise regime, but I still walk a lot.

In addition to walking, try to find some sort of strength training that you like to do. By doing strength training while you are losing weight you will help to preserve muscle. You don't need a gym membership or lot of equipment at home. There is a lot that can be done with body weight exercises.
  • Sartajsingh85
    Sartajsingh85 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I lost 9 kgs by walking, and i would walk to places upto 5 or 6 km away. It helped with the deficit. Its easy, requires less will power !! So go for it !
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    At the moment, all I do is walk. A calorie deficiency along with walking has contributed to my weight loss.
  • airangel59
    airangel59 Posts: 1,887 Member
    Options
    I got my first Fitbit last summer....walking is all I've done pretty much exercise wise. Have just completed the Zen Labs C25K program but I now walk 3-5 miles a day tracked via RunKeeper as well as Polar HRM & my Fitbit

I weigh, measure & log eveything that I eat and have been eating at a calorie deficit to lose weight. It worked for me.