Walking for weightloss... Does it really work?

Options

Replies

• FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    Walking is my go to for daily exercise.. most days I get in two walks.. during the day and after dinner. yes it works.
  • katkins73
    katkins73 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I have done nothing in the past but walk and it has always worked.

That being said: I would love to do a walking thread if anyone is interested. Would any of you be interested?

Thanks
    Reba

Possibly, but not if thread is centred on walking the Himalayas, Cape Town to Mombasa

More just walking down the shops, local area [not some huge national park, open moorlands etc, just plain old suburbs]

Since I live in flat Kansas in the country, no problem!! I am thinking each person report as they want to: steps, time, distance etc. Whatever works - walking outside, walking inside w/ equipment, walking to a DVD - seriously whatever works for the individual! Just set goals and follow through. I would love to have MFP walking buddies.
    [/quote

I'd love to, walking is my main exercise right now, I am going to try and walk each day. I walked for more than 2 hours today :smile:
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,306 Member
    Options
    yes..walking works. I've done it all…and simply walking two miles and dieting will work as well as jogging your *kitten* off and dieting.

you don't have to bust your butt to get results..just bust it if you enjoy it.
  • jenschroll
    jenschroll Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I relied on longer walks (5 -6 miles) and 5K training as exercise for the first 40 pounds I lost. That, and watching my food intake.
  • mgracev4
    mgracev4 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Yes. With the added bonus that it doesn't have any dread factor to it... at least for me. I actually look forward to walking at the end of a busy day.
  • malcolmjcooper
    malcolmjcooper Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit=weight loss
    Exercise=fitness
    never thought of it that way but sure does :)
  • heavenlyb14
    heavenlyb14 Posts: 303 Member
    Options

That being said: I would love to do a walking thread as accountability if anyone is interested. It just really helps me to be accountable, otherwise I have a tendency to put it off, and put it off, and put it off - well you get the picture.

Would any of you be interested?

Thanks
    Reba

I would join a walking thread.
  • Swiftdogs
    Swiftdogs Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    My motto: Will walk for wine.

You can lose with just a calorie deficit, but it's a whole lot easier if you have some extra calories. See ticker.
  • heavenlyb14
    heavenlyb14 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Yes it works but place more importance on your calorie intake and the quality of your calories.
  • dmompain
    dmompain Posts: 1
    Options
    yes walking works, specially if you have a job where you sit most of the day... walk after lunch, walk after dinner, and walk fast !!
    no need to go to a gym, no need to buy fancy machines, just put on your runners and walk as fast as you can at least 40 minutes a day...and count those calories!
  • irish6165
    irish6165 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Walking is great...I started back and am back up to 5 mi/day......but then I've always been a walker....even when I was young . As for a walking thread......count me in .
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Power walking has been my main form of exercise while losing 80 lbs and while maintaining for over one year. I use walking dvd's and power walk outdoors whenever I can. Usually I get two walks in - one in the morning and one after dinner. It helps wake me up in the mornings, clear my head after a long day in the evenings and it's very and easy on my joints.

In conjunction with other exercises (like lifting weights, Pilates, barre workouts) I manage to get in 2 - 6 miles everyday.

Regarding food I just reduce my portion sizes, cook a lot at home (include making my own condiments and treats) and been able to lose weight and keep it off.

Make sure you walk fast enough to get your heart rate up, get a pedometer or an app on your phone to track your miles and speed and heart rate monitor would be great to monitor your progress, but it is not completely needed.

Good luck!
  • g44219
    g44219 Posts: 3,665 Member
    Options
    I hate running, but I run. One thing I've been doing on days my joints or muscle injuries prevent me from running is get a backpack and put weight in it and walk 3 to 5 miles. It's a great workout if you are to that point.
  • jmv7117
    jmv7117 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    Walking is quite underrated.... But it still is original form of exercise... Just wanna know has anyone had real success with just walking and clean eating?

I have tried so many workouts but is usually get bored and give up.... But I live in a neighbourhood where people are walking and running all the time.... On the beach or parks....

I'm thinking I should give walking a good try.... May b start with 30-45 mins a day ...?

But does it really help to go all the way to goal weight? I have about 20 kgs to lose

Neither exercise or eating clean is needed for weight loss but both do help. I use a HRM/pedometer and aim for 10,000 steps per day which for me is 3.8 mi and burns about 265 calories. I have used walking daily during the weight loss portion of my fitness goal. Walking is the number one recommended exercise for lower back pain and I can attest that increasing my walking has decreased my pain. So yes, walking is a good low impact, low cost exercise that does give good results. I wouldn't worry about starting with an actual time limit. Buy a pedometer for $15 (plain with calorie burn) or $40 plus (HRM/pedometer) or use a pedometer app, then just use it. Walk every chance you get with a goal of at least 10,000 steps per day.

I'm on the eating clean spectrum and always have been. Processed foods aside of other nasty additives, usually contain a lot of sugar and salt. Neither are inherently bad for you but too much of either can have negative health effects. Both salt and sugar will cause water retention which can mask fat loss. Both can also cause cravings which will lead to over eating, counter productive to weight loss.
  • jmv7117
    Options

That being said: I would love to do a walking thread as accountability if anyone is interested. It just really helps me to be accountable, otherwise I have a tendency to put it off, and put it off, and put it off - well you get the picture.

Would any of you be interested?

Thanks
    Reba

In :)
  • jmv7117
    Options
    Walking has helped me alot with weight loss, firming up my lower body and having a better out look on life. I got the Map My Walk App on my iphone and use it everytime I walk. I have friends on this APP who also walk which keeps me motivated. You can sinc the APP with MFP and it will log your excercise for you on this site. You will know how long you walked, calories burned and how long it takes you to walk one mile. You can upload your walking music into the APP and watch yourself being tracked by the GPS. If I want to walk 3 miles one day, the APP shows me when I have walked 1.5 miles so I can turn around and come back for a 3 mile walk. I hope you get this APP on your phone and start walking the pounds off.

Runtastic is another great app that allows you to track running, walking, cycling and more. It syncs with MFP as well. Pacer is also another great pedometer app that syncs with MFP. If you go to the Apps section of this site, you can find all the apps that sync with MFP.
  • GretchenReine
    GretchenReine Posts: 1,427 Member
    Options
    It most certainly does. As with anything, what you eat is important...but...I started out walking around the block at work (and was winded). I think even with walking your pace makes a difference because you still have to get your HR up. :-)
  • allotmentgardener
    allotmentgardener Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Watching my portions and calorie intake plus walking, both with and without the dogs are what I do to lose weight.
  • RHachicho
    RHachicho Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    Yeah what they say but honestly guys stop saying .. make sure you create a calorie deficit. Surely no one is stupid to think they can lose weight stuffing bacon sandwiches and cheesecake into their mouths if they walk for an hour a day lol?
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    I do light activities, like DVD aerobics, walking my dog (at a brisk pace), and Yoga. I was 175 when I started, and 141 lbs today. Now I also watch my calories, but I think the walking is generally a good healthy thing to do.