What if there were no "free refills"?

Options

Replies

• kducky22
    kducky22 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    However, if any of you find a bar that offers free refills, aware me.

I second this notion! :drinker: :love:
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    If you read what I wrote, you'd see that for me this is not the case. I drink ICE TEA. And I DONT drink the second glass they bring and waste. My point was simply that I wished they ask before they waste.

Why? What difference does it make to you if they waste a glass or two of iced tea? You do understand how incredibly cheap it is the make 3 gallons of tea, right?
    Yup. I do. I dislike it on principle.
    So you dislike it so much that you refuse to let it go to waste, drink it then look for a reason complain and say why it wasn't your fault you drank it.

Makes sense? No, no it doesn't. But I'm sure you'll find a way to make it.

Reading comprehension fail.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend and I were discussing this the other day, as I was thinking about some municipalities trying to ban or limit sizing on soft drinks.

When I was younger, when you ordered a soda you got a glass of soda, and if you wanted a refill, you paid for it. I remember begging mom for another refill, which she'd usually allow me one. Now, it's considered good service if you are brought a refill on your drink without having to ask for it. I think I've probably had 6 glasses of soda when a waitress was on her game. (And of course, water was always free.)

We also didn't have all-you-can-eat buffets when I was a kid. We had a "buffet" where you would pay for each item, like a cafeteria line. That was always a treat when I was a kid--I got to eat what I wanted rather than what mom made for me, and had quite a variety to choose from. But I better get what I want on the one tray I went through the line with, and I better eat it all because mom was paying for every ounce.

I think this is a better solution to banning soft drinks. Just have restaurants charge for refills. In my opinion, every wins.

(Btw, I quit drinking soft drinks about a year ago, but every so often I still get a soda.)
    Huh? You do realize that servers only bring refills when the glass is empty, right? If you hadn't drank the first 5 glasses the server brought you, they wouldn't have to bring you a 6th. Most times they ask. When they just bring one, I leave it, and they see a full glass and don't bring anymore. This is one of the most non-sensical ideas I've ever read. What's the difference between limiting a soda to 16 oz with free refills, or allowing 64 oz sodas with no refills? Both ideas are stupid, and do nothing to fix the problem, which is a lack of education about nutrition.

Also, all you can eat buffets have been around at least 60 years, longer than you've been alive.
    I was brought a "fresh" drink when my cup had 1/3 left just last week. WITHOUT my asking for (or wanting) a new one.
    You drink the 1st 2/3 and they automatically bring you a new drink, I get that. But you took it upon you to drink the 2nd 2/3rd cup. So at that point you drank 1 and 1/3rd cup by choice. If you decide to drink another 2/3rds then again that's your choice. You can't blame the waitress for bringing you new drinks. If you didn't drink it in the first place she wouldn't have to. Don't deflect the responsibility off to someone else. It's yours.

If they bring a fresh cup you are not forced to drink it. Drink the water.
    You don't keep drinking the soda, they don't keep refilling your drink. It's pretty simple.
    after they've dirtied another glass and wasted 30 odd ounces of soda. Silly.
    So your stance is its better to drink most of that extra soda they gave you because they wasted 30 odd ounces serving it to you? That's silly. Let them serve it if they want, that doesn't mean you have to drink the refill. Now they waste more soda serving it to you and because they wasted money serving it you have to drink it. Now you are just reaching hard for excuses as to why you need to drink it.

You are simply looking for someone to blame for the fact that you like to drink to much soda. It's just a bunch of excuses.
    Not only that, but when you drink the refill, then they bring ANOTHER refill, and this silly cycle of excuses keeps going...
    If you read what I wrote, you'd see that for me this is not the case. I drink ICE TEA. And I DONT drink the second glass they bring and waste. My point was simply that I wished they ask before they waste.

Why? What difference does it make to you if they waste a glass or two of iced tea? You do understand how incredibly cheap it is the make 3 gallons of tea, right?
    Yup. I do. I dislike it on principle.
    So you dislike it so much that you refuse to let it go to waste, drink it then look for a reason complain and say why it wasn't your fault you drank it.

Makes sense? No, no it doesn't. But I'm sure you'll find a way to make it.
    What don't you get?? I DON'T DRINK IT. I don't know how else to say it. I DON'T DRINK IT. I leave it there on the table. Full. Wasted.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    What don't you get?? I DON'T DRINK IT. I don't know how else to say it. I DON'T DRINK IT. I leave it there on the table. Full. Wasted.

And the restaurant doesn't care.... That cut into the profit from your check by ~$0.03-$0.05.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

And the restaurant doesn't care.... That cut into the profit from your check by ~$0.03-$0.05.
    yup
    Again. It's the principle.
    I think I'm done here. Cheers.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

yup

Already?
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

yup

Already?
    already done? Yeah. See I really don't like doing things over and over. This is like a thread refill. :flowerforyou:
  • corgicake
    corgicake Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    Another need for personal choice vs need for intervention thread.

Free refills are a head game. I've been to a few places that didn't have 'em (that weren't bars) - the food was almost always dirt cheap.
  • cpdiminish
    Options
    As long as the cost for my health insurance is tied to those who don't eat right and don't exercise, I say pass every bit of legislation to limit portion sizes that you can. It wouldn't infringe on anyone's freedoms to buy the products they want or to buy two of them if they want more of it.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    As long as the cost for my health insurance is tied to those who don't eat right and don't exercise, I say pass every bit of legislation to limit portion sizes that you can. It wouldn't infringe on anyone's freedoms to buy the products they want or to buy two of them if they want more of it.

:noway:
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    I don't drink more than one anyway, free or not. But one time hubby and I were hauling a mare from Canada, and we stopped at a bar. It was hot, we'd been driving a long time, he was thirsty... he ASSUMED it was free refills on his iced tea, so he had like 6 or 7 refills, ended up with a $ 15 tab for iced tea....wow, was he pissed off.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

Apparently you don't fully understand the inefficiencies that are inherent in a governmental program of this magnitude (and regardless of which particular government we're considering)...

...or the slippery slope argument of encroachment on personal liberties.

(Uh oh...speaking of "slippery slope", I suspect I just started this thread down one to an inevitable mod lock and nuke.)
  • bennettinfinity
    bennettinfinity Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Well you're right about it being the parents responsibility, but many parents are not setting the right example and are not well informed themselves. That's why teaching it in schools would be very helpful to create the next generation of parents who would be informed who could then successfully teach their own children.

My parents tried their best, but letting me eat icecream every night, always having a dessert after every meal, and unknowingly enabling me to eat emotionally damaged me, in the long run. They meant well, but just weren't well informed enough to ensure I was giving myself the best chance.

Yeah, schools have GOT to be the answer 'cuz they do such a bang up job with maths and all that sciencey ...stuff... :huh:

But definitely agree that parents have been dropping the ball for the past couple of generations.

I guess the kids will just have to learn about it in the streets... just like I did... :wink:
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    TL, DR to the whole thread.
    People should learn to crop quotes.

However, if any of you find a bar that offers free refills, aware me.

I like this phrase..."aware me." I had to look it up on urban dictionary. Apparently it's been a thing since 2012. I'm so unhip.
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options

So because you don't like paying for other people's healthcare with your hard-earned money (and who does), we should pass more laws that would cost us MORE money to enforce and would do absolutely nothing to remedy the problem, all while restricting personal freedom. Wow, with great ideas like that, you'd fit right in in Washington talking that nonsense. Maybe you should consider running for office.
  • cpdiminish
    Options

So because you don't like paying for other people's healthcare with your hard-earned money (and who does), we should pass more laws that would cost us MORE money to enforce and would do absolutely nothing to remedy the problem, all while restricting personal freedom. Wow, with great ideas like that, you'd fit right in in Washington talking that nonsense. Maybe you should consider running for office.

I'm not sure what you mean about legislation costing more money. From what I know of the legislation being proposed in some local municipalities, the costs that would be incurred would be for those selling beverages that are currently only available in sizes larger than the proposed maximums. They would have to redesign their packaging.

And I don't understand why anyone wouldn't want to deter people from falling prey to marketing tactics that harm our health. Then again, the big corporations who currently profit from those tactics have spent billions to air television and radio ads to try to sway public opinion in their favor, playing it off as some sort on infringement on our freedoms. If they can afford the ads, they can afford to retool their production lines.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options

I'm not sure what you mean about legislation costing more money. From what I know of the legislation being proposed in some local municipalities, the costs that would be incurred would be for those selling beverages that are currently only available in sizes larger than the proposed maximums. They would have to redesign their packaging.

And I don't understand why anyone wouldn't want to deter people from falling prey to marketing tactics that harm our health. Then again, the big corporations who currently profit from those tactics have spent billions to air television and radio ads to try to sway public opinion in their favor, playing it off as some sort on infringement on our freedoms. If they can afford the ads, they can afford to retool their production lines.

Then what are you going to legislate next, no more 2 liter cokes in grocery stores? What's the end game here , if you're going to override personal responsibility?
  • ritan7471
    ritan7471 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Just feels so damn unamerican to take away something we currently get for free. I usually do unsweetened iced tea or water and they better keep em coming!! :wink:

Well, I would hope that if refills are no longer free they will stop charging $2 for a coke, but that is probably a pipe dream on my part. The free refill schtick helps restaurants justify ridiculous mark-ups on sodas.

I am from the US but currently live in Finland. The only place I know of that offers free refills is Burger King, but I don't eat fast food that much. If anything, soft drinks are more expensive here, for example a large soda at McDonalds is 2,45€, or about $3.20. I rarely order soft drinks because they are so expensive. In shops a bottle of diet coke is about 1,90€.

I knew about this before I moved here, so I gave up my cola habit. In my last workplace in the States there were free unlimited cans of soda from coolers in the office. It was really hard to stop but now I'm glad I did.

Obesity isn't as prevalent here but it is rising after a very successful government campaign in the 80s to promote healthier eating, exercise and disease management, which lowered rates of heart disease and diabetes. Unfortunately junk food culture is here now and I think getting worse all the time. I think the issue of weight management is more complicated than just saying "people should just have more self-control, like me". I believe now that government can take a role in promoting healthy lifestyles without trying to control what people can and can't eat by legislation.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Just feels so damn unamerican to take away something we currently get for free. I usually do unsweetened iced tea or water and they better keep em coming!! :wink:

Well, I would hope that if refills are no longer free they will stop charging $2 for a coke, but that is probably a pipe dream on my part. The free refill schtick helps restaurants justify ridiculous mark-ups on sodas.

I am from the US but currently live in Finland. The only place I know of that offers free refills is Burger King, but I don't eat fast food that much. If anything, soft drinks are more expensive here, for example a large soda at McDonalds is 2,45€, or about $3.20. I rarely order soft drinks because they are so expensive. In shops a bottle of diet coke is about 1,90€.

I knew about this before I moved here, so I gave up my cola habit. In my last workplace in the States there were free unlimited cans of soda from coolers in the office. It was really hard to stop but now I'm glad I did.

Obesity isn't as prevalent here but it is rising after a very successful government campaign in the 80s to promote healthier eating, exercise and disease management, which lowered rates of heart disease and diabetes. Unfortunately junk food culture is here now and I think getting worse all the time. I think the issue of weight management is more complicated than just saying "people should just have more self-control, like me". I believe now that government can take a role in promoting healthy lifestyles without trying to control what people can and can't eat by legislation.

I agree with you. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options

No thanks. I prefer to be in control of my own life. :yawn: :noway: