Why still nothing? Help me!

Options
Seriously, I don't know what I am doing wrong. I keep my calories under 1000 and go to the gym at least 5 days a week. Scale hasn't moved in 2weeks, and even then I had only lost 10 of the 60 pounds I have to lose.
Anyone have any insight or suggestions?

Replies

• wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    Seriously, I don't know what I am doing wrong. I keep my calories under 1000 and go to the gym at least 5 days a week. Scale hasn't moved in 2weeks, and even then I had only lost 10 of the 60 pounds I have to lose.
    so on sat all you ate was soup and a cupcake?
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,068 Member
    Options
    Why are you keeping your calories under 1000?
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    The issue is probably not enough food. Here is a good place to start:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

:huh:
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    well based on your diary it appears that you don't weigh your food...that can mean inaccurate logging.

And 2 weeks is not that bad...weight loss is not linear...

suggestions buy a kitchen scale, weight all your food, up your calories to at least 1200 a day min and be patient.

It has taken me over a year to lose 48lbs...doing it right in a sustainable manner.
  • RaeLB
    RaeLB Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Eat more.

Calculate your TDEE and eat a 15-20% deficit
    Eat at least 50% of your exercise calories
    Weigh your food to make sure you are tracking accurately
    Take measurements of your body and track your progress through inches lost
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    Same answer as last month:
    You could start by logging accurately and weighing everything.
  • _Iron_Man_
    _Iron_Man_ Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    You are starving simple as that. Keeping your calories that low you're slowing your metabolism and retaining liquids.id suggest you to start eating more, 4 or 5 times a day, measure hoe many calories you burn on every workout, drink plenty of water, stay away from junk food, etc
  • tiney72
    tiney72 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    you may not be taking in enough calories if you are keeping them under 1000 and working out 5 times a week....too few calories can actually put your body into "starvation mode" and you are essentially fighting your bodies natural instinct to slow down your metabolism in order to reserve its energy stores....your body will win this battle....in my opinion under 1000 is too extreme for what you are trying to accomplish.....maybe try adding calories by means of green veggies and protein....this will tell your body it is not going to starve and will allow energy stores to be utilized....
  • sammybean2008
    Options
    Definitely watch your portions and weigh your food. I was shocked at how many calories just my coffee and honey are in the morning! Also, drink water! Chemical reactions in the body all require water and breaking down fat is a chemical reaction! :smile:
  • _Calypso_
    _Calypso_ Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    The science is there - if you TRULY are eating less than 1k calories a day you should be losing. People will say eat more... thats not always the case. However, eating less than 1200 cal a day can slow your metabolism causing weight to come off slower. However, under 1k cal a day should result in a loss so I'm going with Stef on this one and saying you're not logging accurately.

Weigh EVERYTHING! Log EVERYTHING that you put in your mouth (juices and soda and bits and pieces). Eat a more balanced diet. Drink more water. Make sure you log your exercise properly (suggest you get a HRM as MFP usually overestimates exercise cal burn).

Congrats on the 10lbs lost. Be paitent... the rest will come off too, but make sure you do it the healthy way!!
  • amieosia
    amieosia Posts: 20
    Options
    Please understand this- I log everything accurately. If a serving size is 1/2 tablespoon then I fill up my little measuring spoon and make sure it is right. If you are going to respond with "log accurately" then you didn't even read this. I have one cheat day a week, yesterday was mine. I haven't logged that day because I just woke up and have to transfer it from a piece of paper.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Please understand this- I log everything accurately. If a serving size is 1/2 tablespoon then I fill up my little measuring spoon and make sure it is right. If you are going to respond with "log accurately" then you didn't even read this. I have one cheat day a week, yesterday was mine. I haven't logged that day because I just woke up and have to transfer it from a piece of paper.

If you log accurately, then why are you only eating 1000 cals per day?
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options

Pleaase understand this: measuring cups and spoons are accurate for liquids only. They are not 100% accurate for all foods.
  • jenmom2myboys
    jenmom2myboys Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    If you log accurately then you are not eating enough.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    well based on your diary it appears that you don't weigh your food...that can mean inaccurate logging.

suggestions buy a kitchen scale, weight all your food, up your calories to at least 1200 a day min and be patient.

It has taken me over a year to lose 48lbs...doing it right in a sustainable manner.

This!!!!
  • MistyMtnMan
    MistyMtnMan Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    I would say you are not eating enough. I know it sounds silly but your body is not something you can just keep subtracting calories from and it will continue to shed weight. It's an adaptive system that will maintain itself from starving and fatigue. Your body is probably at a comfortable level and it won't allow itself to lose anything else because it would be potentially damaging.

I'd recommend using this to find how many calorie you SHOULD be eating in order to have the energy to workout better and lose weight at a healthy cadence.

http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/

You need food to fuel your body to have the energy to burn more cals in a healthier way. Your metabolism is probably just stagnant from dealing with such low cals.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    you may not be taking in enough calories if you are keeping them under 1000 and working out 5 times a week....too few calories can actually put your body into "starvation mode" and you are essentially fighting your bodies natural instinct to slow down your metabolism in order to reserve its energy stores....your body will win this battle....in my opinion under 1000 is too extreme for what you are trying to accomplish.....maybe try adding calories by means of green veggies and protein....this will tell your body it is not going to starve and will allow energy stores to be utilized....

no it wont....starvation mode is a myth and it takes a while to have your metabolism adapt

I think this article is on point here...

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/another-look-at-metabolic-damage.html#more-9313

to the OP logging accurately has a lot of components to it...weighing solids, measuring liquids, choosing correct entries, logging everything.

If you are truely eating 1k calories...then you will lose weight (fat and muscle) and will just get skinny and soft...but if that is your goal have at...if you want to be firm and leaner eat more food, get in lots of protien and start resistence training...

As well don't think of this as a temporary thing, you should be eating the food you plan on eating when you have lost the weight just in smaller portions.

As well the goal here should be to eat the maximum number of calories and still lose weight at a reasonable pace not as few calories as you can and still function...lots of women here eat over 1500 calories a day and still lose weight and are very happy with how they look...me included.
  • MistyMtnMan
    MistyMtnMan Posts: 527 Member
    Options

This!!!!

Yes this also!
  • _Calypso_
    _Calypso_ Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options

No where in your OP did you mention anything about weighing or measuring. So I will again say you need to log accurately. As others have mentioned, measure spoons/cups are good for liquids but solids not so much. If the serving size is 56g...then you need to put your food on teh scale and measure out 56g.
    And again your body needs more than 1k calories. If you are truly weighing yoru food and really are eating only 1k cal then the weight will come off, but slow as your metaboism will adjust accoridingly to make sure you have enough calories/energy/nutrition to keep your organs functioning properly. You will lose fat, but you'll lose muscle as well.

So depending on what your goals are - you need to either 1) eat more and fuel your body properly but make sure you log everything that you eat or drink. Weigh everything as well. or 2) continue with 1k cal and be patient.

Either way the weight will come off. One is much more healthy than the other - the choice is yours.