Diet Coke Alternative

Options
Hi, my name's Carrie and I'm addicted to Diet Coke. With everything I've read about it I know how bad it is for you and am trying desperately to cut it out. I drink a LOT of water at my desk all day long. But during meals I like to change it up a bit. I used to get Diet Coke with my lunch but now I'm trying to find a good alternative. I enjoy Vitamin Water but not sure it that is a good alternative either. Suggestions????

Replies

• Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    Why is it bad? What did you read?
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Coke Zero. And Cherry Coke Zero.
  • Carrot1971
    Carrot1971 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Do a quick Google search and you will find SEVERAL articles about the dangers of diet pop. Including anything from bloating, increase in appetite to diabetes and kidney problems. Granted, I'm sure my 2-3 cans a day aren't THAT harmful but if I'm going to adopt a healthy lifestyle I want to do it right. One or two occasionally isn't bad....but 2-3 a day could possibly be
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    What is bad with Diet Coke in moderation?? I am not a Coke person, I prefer Diet Pepsi but that being said I drink 2-3 a day and still get in my 100+ oz., of water... The Aspartame fear mongering will commence with in the next 2 or 3 post so I will just say the dosage you would have to consume before it becomes an issue is Way More than you or I could ever think of drinking... I stand firmly in the camp of there is no reason to cut it out.... Best of Luck.....
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Do a quick Google search and you will find SEVERAL articles about the dangers of diet pop. Including anything from bloating, increase in appetite to diabetes and kidney problems. Granted, I'm sure my 2-3 cans a day aren't THAT harmful but if I'm going to adopt a healthy lifestyle I want to do it right. One or two occasionally isn't bad....but 2-3 a day could possibly be

My diet coke will be pried from my cold dead hands...

You can google lots of stuff about how it's fine as well...I drink at least 2 a day...
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Just because it's on the internet doesn't mean it's true
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

You can find "articles" about the danger of pretty much anything.

There is no scientific evidence indicating that Diet Coke is in any way bad for you. It won't cause diabetes or kidney problems.

Drink your Diet Coke and spend your effort on stuff that really matters, such as dietary compliance and exercise.
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    I generally drink a can of coke zero once a day. Some days I don't drink it. Some days I drink two. I still drink plenty of water.

But if I want the fizz without the sweetness or the caffeine, I drink a can of La Croix instead.
  • a_stronger_me13
    a_stronger_me13 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    If you're that concerned, drink tea instead.

Diet soda isn't bad for you, btw. The internet is full of a lot of fear mongering and nonsensical garbage.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    Coke zero is a great alternative.
  • amy8400
    amy8400 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    I was a 25 year diet coke/pepsi addict so I feel your frustration . It ain't easy getting off that stuff. I made several weak attempts until I kicked it last year. When it's hot, it's easy to drink ice water or iced tea (unsweetened) as a substitute so I made the transition last summer. Lemon slices can put a bit of flavor to your water and there are also those flavored water packs but some have artificial sweeteners so read the packages.

I like the VitaRain Zero from Costco (41 cents each) versus the name brand Vitamin Water Zero that are twice as much. I limit myself to one a day and they are a lightly sweet alternative to drinking iced tea and water. I've only had one Diet Coke this year and if you told me I'd someday be able to walk away from the wild cravings for diet pop, I'd have laughed hysterically. I found that my food cravings went way down once I stopped drinking soda. Once you are off soda, you'll find that your taste adjusts to the less sweet stuff and it becomes much easier with time. Now I'm a green tea fanatic and have at least two cups of hot tea a day.
  • izu87
    izu87 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Hello, I'm Izu and I am a Coke Zero Addict.

My advice - drop all of them. This is what I did. The difference I got was that while drinking Coke Zero, working out and following my calorie intake - I didn't lose. The moment I dropped it, without changing anything else (well two weeks after that), I started shredding inches.

What is bad about both Coke Zero and Light and Cherry and all those are the artificial sweeteners that they use. Yeah, no extra calories and no real 'sugar' or fructose (because I'm quite sure regular Coke switched to fructose only all over the world a few years back), but the sweeteners can screw up your metabolism just as badly as refined sugar.

And in the end... is it worth it? It's hard. The first 2-3 weeks are really hard, but I'd rather drink sparkling water if I wanted a 'soda' than wasting my calories and health (it was haaaard to get to this mindset regarding the coke...)
  • a_stronger_me13
    Options
    I was a 25 year diet coke/pepsi addict so I feel your frustration . It ain't easy getting off that stuff. I made several weak attempts until I kicked it last year. When it's hot, it's easy to drink ice water or iced tea (unsweetened) as a substitute so I made the transition last summer. Lemon slices can put a bit of flavor to your water and there are also those flavored water packs but some have artificial sweeteners so read the packages.

I like the VitaRain Zero from Costco (41 cents each) versus the name brand Vitamin Water Zero that are twice as much. I limit myself to one a day and they are a lightly sweet alternative to drinking iced tea and water. I've only had one Diet Coke this year and if you told me I'd someday be able to walk away from the wild cravings for diet pop, I'd have laughed hysterically. I found that my food cravings went way down once I stopped drinking soda. Once you are off soda, you'll find that your taste adjusts to the less sweet stuff and it becomes much easier with time. Now I'm a green tea fanatic and have at least two cups of hot tea a day.

Aside from the caffeine aspect, how is Vitamin Water or any of its knock offs any better than diet soda? Even then, the argument against caffeine is pretty silly as well.
  • a_stronger_me13
    Options
    Hello, I'm Izu and I am a Coke Zero Addict.

My advice - drop all of them. This is what I did. The difference I got was that while drinking Coke Zero, working out and following my calorie intake - I didn't lose. The moment I dropped it, without changing anything else (well two weeks after that), I started shredding inches.

What is bad about both Coke Zero and Light and Cherry and all those are the artificial sweeteners that they use. Yeah, no extra calories and no real 'sugar' or fructose (because I'm quite sure regular Coke switched to fructose only all over the world a few years back), but the sweeteners can screw up your metabolism just as badly as refined sugar.

And in the end... is it worth it? It's hard. The first 2-3 weeks are really hard, but I'd rather drink sparkling water if I wanted a 'soda' than wasting my calories and health (it was haaaard to get to this mindset regarding the coke...)

False.
  • JakeNJ95
    JakeNJ95 Posts: 54
    Options
    It really is not bad for you, but if you already suffer from kidney problems or diabetes I would recommend to stay away from it based on the experience my mom has with it. Also, Sodastream is awesome in my opinion low cal, low sugar and they also have diet flavors.

My favorite drink, cold tap water in a filter tastes exquisite.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    Coke zero is a great alternative.

this.

and the vanilla and cherry varieties are excellent.

especially mixed. yum.
  • 43mmmgoody21
    43mmmgoody21 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Problem of doing research solely on the internet is that the reliability of the source could be in question. Google "SkecDoc", it has a whole article on this very issue. I believe the magazine "Skeptic" also exposed this aspartame myth.

BTW. Have you ever tried diet cream soda (Crush). Very tasty.
  • Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options

Many of the sources are questionable...I am not saying that drinking a TON of it is safe because I have no idea one way or another, but here is what we do know.....

According to the Mayo Clinic:

"Drinking a reasonable amount of diet soda a day, such as a can or two, isn't likely to hurt you. The artificial sweeteners and other chemicals currently used in diet soda are safe for most people, and there's no credible evidence that these ingredients cause cancer."
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options
    Hi, my name's Carrie and I'm addicted to Diet Coke. With everything I've read about it I know how bad it is for you and am trying desperately to cut it out. I drink a LOT of water at my desk all day long. But during meals I like to change it up a bit. I used to get Diet Coke with my lunch but now I'm trying to find a good alternative. I enjoy Vitamin Water but not sure it that is a good alternative either. Suggestions????

Coca Cola Classic! since you should have been drinking it all along!
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    For those addicted, can you recommend a 12 step program for those that are struggling?