When did people notice your loss?

Replies

• jmnicholas
    jmnicholas Posts: 58 Member
    7kg, after I'd been losing slowly for about 9 months. Still have people say 'You've lost weight', but have only lost a total of 9 kg in about 18 months.

Totally agree with other posters about clothes sizes, as it is only as I'm buying smaller clothes that people seem to be more comfortable with commenting!
  • Orion782
    Orion782 Posts: 391
    I started to get comments when I was down about 15 lbs. Occasionally still getting them today.
  • Tymeforme68
    Tymeforme68 Posts: 17 Member
    29 lbs lost here and no one has noticed here. I'm 6'
  • Inittolozeit
    Inittolozeit Posts: 116 Member
    Now actually, at 30lbs... Which bummed me out at first, but I am taller so that's most likely why..
  • princessnuriko
    princessnuriko Posts: 50 Member
    I've most about 24 pounds. I went from 168 to 144, a size 14 to an 8. Only 2 people noticed out of the 150 people I work with, LOL!
  • chelstakencharge
    chelstakencharge Posts: 1,021 Member
    I am 5 feet tall as well although I started out much heavier than you.....it was probably once I lost about 25 pounds. Remember this, they may have noticed but were careful not speak about it in case you were to become sensitive about the issue of weight. It is a taboo subject for so many
  • animatorswearbras
    animatorswearbras Posts: 1,001 Member
    I bet people have noticed but might not say, I've asked someone if they've lost weight before and they've said no I've gained 10 pounds, it's a bit of a minefield commenting on someones weight unless you know them very well or are totally sure. I usually tell people if I've noticed a change how great they look, they then usually volunteer that they've lost some weight and I can say "yeah I noticed!" without having to remove my foot from my gob.

As for me the first time I did MFP everyone noticed before I hit the 10 pound mark but thats only because I was broadcasting that I was losing weight for my wedding, trying my best to turn down doughnuts and cake from the resident "feeders" and getting changed at work for my zumba classes.

(I kind of put it all back on plus a couple of pounds after the wedding last year and am trying to lose again but not making as big a deal this time, so noones really noticed that I'm losing again apart from a couple of friends and my husband who I bore with my aspirations lol)
  • It's kinda like when you're with your siblings or your children every day, you don't always notice growth; but if you don't see a neice or nephew or grandchild for a couple of months, you notice it immediately. My daughter pointed out this weekend that she had grown a few inches since the beginning of the school year, and not only did I not notice, but I didn't believe her. LOL. I had to measure her when we got home. She was right. She had grown like 2 inches. She's almost glaring right into my eyes! I didn't even realize it.
  • laurie04427
    laurie04427 Posts: 421 Member
    I've lost about the same OP, 15 pounds or so in 3 months. No one at work has noticed. I notice because my work clothes aren't skin tight, they are loose now (YAY). Hubby notices the lost inches.
  • Abi198111
    Abi198111 Posts: 76 Member
    I suppose it depends on how much you have to lose overall... I needed to lose 45 lbs when I started; so far I have lost 20 and people are only just starting to notice (i got stopped in the street by 2 neighbours the other day saying how great I looked and that I had lost a lot of weight - very flattering :blushing: ) but like someone else said, these are people I don't see very often. The people I see most often (work colleagues, family etc) say that they can see I've lost a bit but don't seem to notice as much as others. Normally what happens is that no one notices for ages, then all of a sudden one day they look at you and say "omg, you've lost loads of weight!!" It'll come, just keep doing what you're doing :wink:
  • sumthnncredible
    sumthnncredible Posts: 22 Member
    I guess I had the opposite experience here...... Everybody in my close circle notice my weight loss at 10 lbs (boyfriend, siblings, and parents). But none of my co-workers noticed or said anything, and I see them everyday. But at the same time, we were scrubs everyday so maybe thats why that haven't hehe.
  • oboeadam
    oboeadam Posts: 124 Member
    I agree with what a lot of people have said - it was around 25 pounds in. I think it's hard for people to notice loss when you're around them constantly. It's easier for those people who haven't seen you in awhile to notice earlier.
  • JakeNJ95
    JakeNJ95 Posts: 54
    My friends did not notice I lost weight for about 6 months when I went out and bought new clothing. I lost 60 pounds, and they did not notice. Clothing matters if you are wearing the same clothing I think people will not notice as much because its just a familiarity thing like others have been saying.
  • trekkie_bbs
    trekkie_bbs Posts: 64 Member
    I work with the public and it was quite funny. A lady came up to me and said Are you James from *******? I said no cause I no longer work there (wasn't thinking about the past) and she said O. You look a lot like him but you are much skinnier. I recognized the person so I said no no I meant I no longer work there and thank you for noticing my weight loss. At that time I had lost 30 pounds.

At 35 pounds I had lost 6 paint sizes but didn't want to buy new paints for work so they started looking baggy and finally people started asking at work. Are you losing weight? Are you OK? It's kinda funny. I have worked so hard to lose this weight for myself I didn't even think about what others thought.

Either way I'm doing this for myself not for anyone else so it's nice when they notice but I honestly don't care if they like it or not. My own Mother has said you are getting too skinny. You need to stop losing weight. But no way. I have a goal and I'm going to reach it. I WILL see a 6 pack for the first time in my life on myself!

I know we live in a digital world where everyone is worried what others think but I say do what YOU want as long as it's honest, and within your own morals. Believe in yourself! Only you limit yourself from doing what you wish you could do instead of getting your lazy butt up and doing it. That's just my opinion and I do believe anyone can achieve there goals!
  • hellomanen
    hellomanen Posts: 96 Member
    don't suffer! it's different for everyone! I have a 44 pound loss, went from 242 to 198 at 5'10" and (besides my parents) absolutely NO ONE has commented on it! it kinda sucks but hey! I don't let that get me down or anything because as long as I can see the changes, physically and mentally, I'm good :)
  • missjones513
    missjones513 Posts: 345 Member
    When I had lost 25 - 30 pounds back in 2010 a couple people said they could see it in my face.
  • Apple31415
    Apple31415 Posts: 98 Member
    Totally depends on what you're wearing that day. I'm digging deep into the closet now and the days i'm wearing something people haven't seen before, i get the comments. Looking forward to the day when i can shop for a significant wardrobe change. Most rewarding comes from my kids who know I've been going hard at it. They don't throw compliments to the old man easily so it means a lot.
  • ljmcf
    ljmcf Posts: 98 Member
    Sometimes I think people say they notice to me, because they know I'm eating well and going to the gym....they're like 'wow, how much have you lost? You're looking slim today' and I'm like 'hmmm, I've put 5lbs on since you last mentioned my weight' lol
  • furniem
    furniem Posts: 145 Member
    I have found this in all my weight loss battles (and there have been many)... If you have a lot to lose and lose, 50 lbs or more, people feel more confortable with commenting on your weight loss as it is more "evident" visually you need to lose. But when you need to lose a smaller amount of weight people are afraid to comment as they are not sure if you are touchy about being a bit overweight. Either way is is a tough subject!
    Keep going, you are doing great!
  • Rainboots80
    Rainboots80 Posts: 218 Member
    I had lost 30 pounds before anyone noticed.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!