When did people notice your loss?

Options

Replies

• jmv7117
    jmv7117 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    I know, I know...it shouldn't matter what other people think but its great being complimented on all your hard work and thus far, no one seems to have noticed my 16 pound weight loss...(my stats are 5'0, starting weight 147.5, currently 132).....out of curiosity, when did people really seem to notice....

Some people like recognition for their hard work while others like myself prefer no attention. My husband noticed my weight loss within the first couple of pounds. By now, others have likely noticed but have said nothing for the most part. One of our kids said I look 'great' at Easter. One nosy acquaintance has made several comments, all ignored and not responded to BUT she did that before. Other than that, I'm happy to continue on my merry way without the compliments :laugh:
  • shiva916
    shiva916 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I am down around 20 lbs right now and can count on one hand how many people have mentioned something so I know they noticed. I'm kind of surprised honestly because I have lost a few lbs here and there in the past and after about 5 lbs I would star getting comments. This time much less so.

Hopefully I will never be back where I started and won't have to worry about anyone noticing. I was hoping for something from family I haven't seen since the holidays, but...nothing. Oh well more motivation to make sure they notice next time they see me.
  • atfirstblush
    atfirstblush Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I haven't had anyone say anything to me yet even though I've dropped 25 pounds. One of my co-workers keeps looking at me and studying my face but she hasn't commented yet. I know she notices that I'm drinking about a gallon of water everyday.
  • fireytiger
    fireytiger Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    My husband noticed it before I did, lol. After around the first 10-12lbs lost he was pointing out how he could see a huge difference, and I didn't see it. Most people haven't said much about noticing my weight loss, but i'm hoping that i'll get lots of compliments when I go out to see my family next month :D
  • rebalee8
    rebalee8 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I'm down 37 pounds in about 7 months and no one has said a word.
  • Tim_CNY
    Tim_CNY Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Family and friends noticed/mentioned something after about 20-25 pounds. Since getting new work clothes recently, I've been getting comments nearly every day from coworkers. I imagine they noticed before, but it became much more obvious without shirts making me look like a jack-o-lantern in December.
  • beachylove
    beachylove Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Everyone at work started commenting at around 20-25 pounds in. I have to say I didn't even really start seeing the big change until that point also. I do like the compliments now but I dont quite know how to take them lol, sometimes I get embarrassed that people notice but then again it feels good.

No matter what if you feel better and are progressing be happy for your success. :flowerforyou:
  • hellomanen
    hellomanen Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    28lbs so far and noone's noticed yet...
    32 lbs here and no one has noticed
    44 lbs here and not a single word bout it
  • 2kellymike
    2kellymike Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I've lost about 25 lbs over the last year, but it was at about 20 lbs gone that co-workers started commenting. When I finally had to buy new pants, that really seemed to make people notice. The old ones were so baggy that I could pull them up and down without undoing them.
    I'm just 5'0" too, medium frame I guess. SW 165, CW 137.
  • amandarawr06
    amandarawr06 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    It varied greatly for me.

People who knew I was trying to lose weight were commenting after 20lbs (mostly because they were looking for it all the time).

I've JUST started getting comments from people at work (about 45lbs down), but I also don't know them as well, so it might be awkward for people to bring it up.
  • jimwon953
    jimwon953 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    It usually happens when you buy new clothes.
  • ejtj1234
    ejtj1234 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I know I personally feel like maybe it is rude to ask people if they have lost weight if they have never said they are trying.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    My husband and I are both trying to lose weight right now. I am 5'0, SW of 156, CW of 133. He is 5'7, SW of 203, CW of 173. Over Easter we saw my family who we haven't seen Christmas (we started dieting right after Christmas). They all knew we were dieting and made a huge fuss over my husband, but no one said anything about me. I was pretty hurt and very discouraged after that. I was even wearing a brand new dress that showed my loss off, but still nothing. :(

I'm sorry you had to go through that :( Don't get discouraged, you are doing this for yourself. It's sad that men show loss better than women though.. just because most of the loss comes off from one area (the belly) so the change is more noticeable than the overall loss women have.
  • Charlesray1943
    Charlesray1943 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Usually when you've lost about 10% of your body weight. That's what weight counselors have told me. I'm sure you look great! Keep going. ;)
  • ninja8tofu
    ninja8tofu Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I started at 225 (cw 147) and I think people outside of my household probably didn't start noticing until I was down to about 170-175 maybe. ETA: or at least, they didn't say anything until then.
  • DucklingtoSwan
    DucklingtoSwan Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    28lbs so far and noone's noticed yet...

Ditto. It is really depressing that it doesn't really show yet. I can barely see it myself, maybe a little in my face but that's all. Other people can drop like 7 pounds and look terrific, I am pretty big and carry my weight "well", whatever that exactly means, but it also means a loss doesn't show until way into it. :frown:
  • luzdelua
    luzdelua Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I live in Brazil and have not seen my parents for almost 4 months. I am going back in June and I am so excited for them to see me! I have lost over 16 pounds and hopefully will have lost more by the time I get back to the US.

My boyfriend didn't notice much at first, but he has recently pointed out that I look thinner. He's so encouraging!

I am 5'8.5, my SW was 185, I am currently at 168, and my goal weight is 150.
  • sabinekiwi
    sabinekiwi Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    This is very sad - why do a lot of people find it so hard o acknowledge other people's achievement.
    I am happy to respect your big weight loss - it's an inspiration to me!!! Thank you!
  • jennibear22
    jennibear22 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Only very recently.

I am 5'3 and SW was 175 - now at 149. So it took me losing 25/26 pounds before anyone asked had I lost some weight. It is only really now I can see any difference too. I think the next 10 pounds I lose should start to make a more obvious difference (or hoping at least).
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options
    My MFP friends noticed after a week when I wasn't logging and stopped posting. Wait, you mean loss of weight.....oops.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!