What is your WHY?

Options

Replies

• SCMclaughlin1956
    Options
    This is an AMAZING reason!! I wish you well! You've got this!
  • MikePXstream
    MikePXstream Posts: 965 Member
    Options
  • TexasGal1
    TexasGal1 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    My WHY? I just want to be healthy and strong; and have those sexy arms. Oooh la la!!

If I'm healthy and strong, everything else falls into place. :heart:
  • mae74
    mae74 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Mike, your comments really touched me, because I have the same hope, to avoid diabetes. My mom has it and it is awful! Her whole family had it as well. I had done really well on my weight loss journey until last year when I back slid and am up 25 pounds. I'm just getting back on the journey and your post is just what I needed to read! Thanks!
  • apslaick
    apslaick Posts: 2
    Options
    I love who I am as a person. I feel in order to show this to my body, I have to take care of it. If a person loves something, you cherish it and take care of it! I love who I am so I want to love the body that contains who I am! Love myself all over! hahahaha. Hope that made sense!?
  • MikePXstream
    Options
    I'm glad it gave you a spark. I completely understand. I wasn't able to see my mom as often as I would have liked because we lived a couple states away. I kept trying to get her to move to where I was, and she would keep telling me she was making the plans to do so, but it was just to appease me. I didn't know how bad it was until I went out to see her about a month before she passed. I don't know if I could have done anything more, but I wish she would have been more truthful with me. Keep the faith, hold on to you reason tightly, and let it fuel you. Thank you for sharing.
    Mike, your comments really touched me, because I have the same hope, to avoid diabetes. My mom has it and it is awful! Her whole family had it as well. I had done really well on my weight loss journey until last year when I back slid and am up 25 pounds. I'm just getting back on the journey and your post is just what I needed to read! Thanks!
  • KDCrocker
    KDCrocker Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    bump, for motivation if I ever lose sight of my WHY :heart:
  • luzdelua
    luzdelua Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Although part of my reason is vanity and to prove everyone else wrong, I am doing it for myself. I want to be able to do more physical activities that I enjoy but I am embarrassed to do because of how I look. I want to be stronger and I want to be able to take care of myself. I think it would give me that boost of confidence that I really need in my life.
  • MikePXstream
    Options
    Don't be embarrassed and forget about what everyone else thinks. When you learn to let go of that, you would be amazed of how much you can acomplish. I used to be the same way, worried about how people would see me or judge me. I have the skinniest legs known to man for a guy. I used to hide it, wear pants more than shorts because I got tired of being made fun of for my chicken legs. But you know what, I don't care anymore. That is the way I was meant to be, and no matter how many squats or calf raises I do, I will still have these chicken legs. Embrace what you have, continue to make positive changes for yourself, and the confidence and ability to do all the things you want will be right there for you. Thank you for sharing.
    Although part of my reason is vanity and to prove everyone else wrong, I am doing it for myself. I want to be able to do more physical activities that I enjoy but I am embarrassed to do because of how I look. I want to be stronger and I want to be able to take care of myself. I think it would give me that boost of confidence that I really need in my life.
  • Jestinia
    Jestinia Posts: 1,154 Member
    Options
    I did it to fix my health and my life, and that was motivation enough. But it fixed neither. I have bad knees that ended my running just as I was really starting to enjoy it. I have asthma. Now I'm getting arthritis in my knuckles, and my hands were never even fat. My life isn't improved much, either. My social anxiety is better, but I still have no tolerance for spending much time around people and I realize now I never will.

I suppose I'm in a bit of a blue mood today and I shouldn't even be thinking about this. Maybe tomorrow I'll find a bright side.

If not, I can always get fat again.
  • ChubbyInHeels
    ChubbyInHeels Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    My why is simple. IM ENOUGH. This isn’t for anyone else…..

This isn’t for my boyfriend who doesn’t want me to lose my shape

This isn’t to compete with my best friends who have always been small

This isn’t for the stares or the looks by others

It’s time to come out of my comfortable life where hearing this like “you aren’t fat you are thick” or “but you have a great shape” or “I don’t see you as fat that’s just you” allow me to stay complacent in that lifestyle. I am enough and I am changing one day at a time :)

Thank you for this amazing post :)
  • PrincessPeacock
    PrincessPeacock Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    ♥ this post :) This time will be different for me.

-I lost my father to a heart attack 6 months ago and my oldest sister is having issues with her heart at the moment. I don't want that to be me, EVER...
    -I lost weight unhealthily before and gained it all back. The thing that I miss most of all is my self esteem. I NEED to have that back. I do understand that self esteem and weight don't have to be related but to set out and do this the RIGHT way will be a huge confidence boost for me. I want to prove to myself that I CAN make goals and stick with them!
  • AlliSteff
    AlliSteff Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Actually, it was when my sister chose her bridesmaid dresses and I tried them on...and felt matronly. I hated how I was protraying myself and resolved to change. I feel so much better about myself, and even though I still have abit of a ways to go...I am getting there and am much stronger and healthier!
  • ShaunaN5
    ShaunaN5 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    My WHY are numerous things:
    * I want to feel better physically.
    * I want to stop the trend that runs in my family (once the women get a certain age, they just let themselves go. I love them to
    death but do not want to continue that trend!)
    * I want to be able to enjoy doing things with my kids without feeling too tired or blah.
    * I want to enjoy my grandkids when that time comes.
    * I want to look better.
    * I want to be able to wear the "cute clothes".
    * I want to be a good role model for my kids.
    * I want to look my best for my hubby.

Well, there they are. Not neccessarily in that order.
  • emalethmoon
    emalethmoon Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    These are they WHY answers I have listed in my profile:

It's time. I want to be around for my children.

Also:
    - Weigh less than I did at my wedding
    - Weigh less than I did at my prom
    - Have more sexual confidence
    - Buy a LITTLE black dress
    - No chub rub
    - Be carried over the threshold
    - Weight less than my husband
    - Pin-up photos!
    - Wear heels comfortably
    - Boots that fit my calves
    - Run a 5k
    - A bathing suit without a skirt
    - Purchase a Victoria Secret bra
    - Get an outfit at a "regular" size store
    - No under-gut sweat
    - Horseback riding
    - Kiddie rides with my babies
    - Flirting, wolf whistles, cat calls
    - Feel "as good as" skinny girls
    -Inspire my sister to get healthy too
    -No back fat
  • jpore
    jpore Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    My WHY: taking responsibility for my own happiness.

I have always been so focused on making the people around me feel special and important, while secretly hoping that people would just do the same for me. I always felt like it was my job to make them feel good about themselves and that it was their job to make me feel good about myself. But even when I would receive a compliment I would graciously accept it, but then doubt it.

It is not anyone else's job to build my self esteem. This is something that I am doing for myself, and I feel amazing. Now every compliment I get, I think to myself, "yeah, I am looking pretty good today" without a single doubt about it.

Thanks everyone for sharing your WHYs.
  • Bounce4
    Bounce4 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    My Why:

I got sick of not feeling comfortable with how I looked and with feeling so out of shape. I want to look good. I might be having a bit of a mid life crisis, lol.

I got fed up with myself for whining about it and not doing anything about it. I got fed up with myself for giving in to wanting to eat away my stress or fill up emptiness that had nothing to do with an empty belly.. I mean - sometimes that still happens but I don't stay in that spot anymore and throw in the towel for one bad day - I got sick of that. I'm not that person. I make things happen and I can make this happen too darn it!

My why is that I want to quit wishing and start doing. I irritate myself when I 'blah blah blah' wish away my life while eating cake. :P
  • becs3578
    becs3578 Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Spent my first 34 years unhappy. HIding from the world. Not feeling pretty enough, smart enough, good enough etc. I started my own business in 2011 and realized I had to make a change physically as well as professionally. Took some time to really get fully committed. But when I started crossfit fed 2013 a switch flipped in me.

I am happier than I have ever been. I am comfortable in my own skin for the first time in my life. I see the endless possibilities in my life and I am just disappointed I waited to really get motivated til I was 34. HOWEVER I will say the first 4 months of 35 have been the best yet!!!! Looking forward to the rest!
  • lesaw01
    lesaw01 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I have several Whys.
    The first is my shallow why – my daughter is getting married in November and I really want to look great in all of the pictures. I just need to get my behind in gear and get it done.
    My second why is to be able to do more fun activities with my husband and with any future grandchildren I may have. We love to go hiking and kayaking and losing more of the weight will make this much easier. I lost 50 pound prior to MFP and I am able to hike longer and thru higher mountains but I know if I can get these last 50-60 pounds off I will be able to fly over the hills and mountains. I also want to be able to get myself in and out of my kayak without any assistance from anyone.
    My third and what should be my main why is my overall health. My grandmother, mother and her sister all have had to have knee replacements because of deteriorating cartilage in their knees mainly caused by being overweight. When I went with my mother to her consultation before her last surgery the doctor told me this was hereditary and it could possibly happen to me. I do have some knee pain but hopefully with my weight loss I will not have to have any kind of surgery. But if I do at least with less weight my recovery will easier and I will be able to get back on my feet quicker. Also both my grandmothers had diabetes and my mother is borderline diabetic and I don’t want this to happen to me. So far my numbers look good so maybe I have already gotten enough weight off to prevent this.