What is your WHY?

Options

Replies

• MikePXstream
    MikePXstream Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    Exercise can have so many healing qualities. When I was in AZ visiting my mom while she was in the hospital, I new her days were numbered, but I had to do something to try and ease my self. So I laced up my shoes, hit the road and went for a 3 mile run. I wasn't going for time or even distance really. I just went. it felt so good, just for that moment to have peace of mind. It makes me happy to hear the depression monster is gone for you after a workout. Keep up the great work. You are doing fantastic ;)
    When I started out, my why was to get back to being skinny. Up until I got married, skinny is who I was. I put on 40 pounds after I got married, and if I wasn't skinny, who was I?

Then things changed. As the scale was moving, I was trying new things to help me get into shape. After a while, I got greedy. I loved how I felt after a good workout, and I wanted more. I started out with some dvd's I bought back when I thought I could lose weight be exercising like a crazy person, but not changing the way I eat (thanks for the new knowledge, MFP!). I kept experimenting with different workouts and doing more, and people have told me that the change in my confidence is really starting to show.

Three weeks ago, I started Les Mills Combat at home. It's incredible. I was diagnosed with clinical depression at the age of 14 and it's been part of me ever since... sometimes bringing me to lows I never knew existed. During and for a while after each Combat workout, the "depression monster" is gone... not reduced, but actually gone (for a while anyway). I'm tired, but my mind, body, and soul are at peace. So that's my new why... I want to combat my depression more myself rather than with drugs. I'll have to see where the road takes me.
  • kristinsnm
    kristinsnm Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Amazing post :) What a great thought provoking question; makes me reaffirm my motivation, thank you!

My WHY is two fold.

Firstly, my health is my primary concern. As I have entered my 30's, my weight has had more of an impact on me physically and I really do not want to go down a medically fragile path. Also, my constant weight fluctuations are taking their tolle on my systems, which is really not good. I want to heal my body and nurture it into being the strong, healthy entity it was meant to be.

My second reason WHY, is more geared towards the emotional/mental impact that my weight issues have had on me over the years. My anxiety, mostly social anxiety, has elevated greatly over the past few years, which really impacts many areas of my life... personal life, work, social events, etc. I have allowed the insecurities I have about myself hold me back from opportunities, experiences and personal interactions. I have developed a very negative self concept and somehow have gotten to the point where I believe that my life will not be what I had hoped for myself due to my weight. Now, I know logically that this is not true, but I feeeeeel as though it is because the depth of my insecurities feel as though they are now a part of me, not a symptom of my weight. I want to free myself from the confines of my weight issues. I want to regain my sense of self, of confidence in my own skin. I want to feel as though I am being seen for who I am, not what I look like. I want to feel strong again. I want to go to the movies without worrying that someone will sit beside me and I won't be able to give them adequate arm space. I want to go swimming again, I love swimming (I can't make myself face a pool/beach and a bathing suit). I want to look in the mirror and see me again. I want to feel as though I am in control again. I want to be secure enough in myself to put myself out there and meet someone worth my time. I want to be healthy enough to build a family of my own and be an active part of their lives.

Really, what it boils down to for me, both health wise as well as emotion wise, is that I want to start living my life. I feel as though I am in a constant state of waiting. I just want to wake up and live the life that I deserve. That is why I have started again, to fight for the life I want for myself.
  • 72Christie
    72Christie Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    My WHY is many things. I'm now in my 40s, as are many of my friends - the age where cancer, diabetes and heart attacks start to make an appearance. I don't want to suffer from any of these ailments, nor want to put my family through it either. Last week I did an online questionnaire for a government get healthy program, and realised that I am in the extreme high risk category for Type 2 Diabetes - in fact, I'm too scared to go to the doctor because I'm sure she's going to tell me that I'm already there, so I'm determined to lose fat first so that I don't get that diagnosis.
    Secondly, I want to set a positive, healthy example for my teenage daughters - they've watched me silently for all of their lives, trying this diet and that diet - fortunately they are both in a healthy range, however I want to keep it that way. As they get older and hopefully have their own children (not any time too soon, though!) I want to be the young, hip grandma who gets in and has awesome times with the grand kids - or better yet, is off travelling the world and regaling the grand kids with great stories and adventures - not the old, aged, frail grandma who can barely get off the couch.
    Thirdly, I have always been active and keen to try new sports etc regardless of my weight, however lately I have found that it's getting harder to keep up and I am often sore for days after a strenuous game of netball or touch football. This is no doubt due to the extra weight I am carrying and a lack of flexibility, as I've gradually made more excuses and become increasingly sedentary.
    And finally - vanity - I have always been taken for someone much younger than my actual age, however I know that carrying the extra weight will eventually negate this - and I want to keep looking young for my age. Eating healthy and exercising regularly will ensure that continues :)
    Those are my major 'WHYs'. I have others, but I could go on all day - and won't, because I need to go and workout ;)
  • MikePXstream
    Options
    Wow. I am actually at a loss for words. I am very happy to hear that your niece is doing well. I can not even imagine how hard that was for you and your family to deal with. I tip my hat to you. You are doing great things for others. Selfless service is so commendable. Thank you for sharing :heart:
    "Now, imagine your child or loved one is in danger on that other side. I'm willing to bet that you are going to do everything you can to get to that side. "

This is my WHY. Last week it was, literally. Now, not so literal, but still there.

My now 10 month old niece was born with a defect that damaged her liver. By the time it was discovered, her liver was too damaged to be repaired and she was placed on a list to receive a liver transplant. The interesting thing about liver transplant, is that you can take part of the liver from a live donor and the donor will grow back most of what was taken. So we figured that with such a large family, she had better chances than most because there are so many of us that surely one of us would be able to donate. Right?

Wrong. The very day that the living donor process was approved, we learned that you can't donate if your BMI is higher than 30. That made nearly my whole family ineligible (almost all of us are obese). So every one of us took up the task to lose weight as quickly and healthfully as we can. It was a race to save my niece. At the same time, praying that another donor will come available (it would have taken me at least a year to reach 30, others would have taken longer).

This past weekend, a child died and his/her family donated his/her organs. My niece received the liver on Easter Sunday and by all reports she's doing fine. So the urgency to lose weight is gone, but the WHY is still there. There are other kids (and adults) that need liver transplants. I'm now losing weight so I can save somebody's life in thanks to the family that saved my niece.
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    "Now, imagine your child or loved one is in danger on that other side. I'm willing to bet that you are going to do everything you can to get to that side. "

This is my WHY. Last week it was, literally. Now, not so literal, but still there.

My now 10 month old niece was born with a defect that damaged her liver. By the time it was discovered, her liver was too damaged to be repaired and she was placed on a list to receive a liver transplant. The interesting thing about liver transplant, is that you can take part of the liver from a live donor and the donor will grow back most of what was taken. So we figured that with such a large family, she had better chances than most because there are so many of us that surely one of us would be able to donate. Right?

Wrong. The very day that the living donor process was approved, we learned that you can't donate if your BMI is higher than 30. That made nearly my whole family ineligible (almost all of us are obese). So every one of us took up the task to lose weight as quickly and healthfully as we can. It was a race to save my niece. At the same time, praying that another donor will come available (it would have taken me at least a year to reach 30, others would have taken longer).

This past weekend, a child died and his/her family donated his/her organs. My niece received the liver on Easter Sunday and by all reports she's doing fine. So the urgency to lose weight is gone, but the WHY is still there. There are other kids (and adults) that need liver transplants. I'm now losing weight so I can save somebody's life in thanks to the family that saved my niece.

Happy to hear that your niece is doing well. She has a great family.:love:
  • manda1978
    manda1978 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    My in laws are plagued with lifestyle diseases and they do nothing but complain about why thsi happened to them. I refuse to let that happen to me and there's no way in hell I'm putting my daughter through what my husband and I have to deal with.

Plus I want to look sexy lol.
  • momxs2
    momxs2 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    My WHY has changed. Initially it was to lose weight and fit into old jeans and bathing suits. But now that I've been exercising and counting my calories my WHY is to keep this up and feel good!! I want to teach my daughters how important exercise and moving is. I'm doing this for myself but also my husband and children!
  • Etherlily1
    Etherlily1 Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    My WHY...because I have to do it. I am 36 years old and have been severely overweight since I was 7 years old. A lot of my weight has had to do being a lab experiment for doctors on medications, but not all of it. I've been told countless times by my doctors that I need to lose weight, but that I should not expect to with my medications. I want them to be wrong, because I cannot go on living feeling like I am trapped by my own body, wondering about people judging me because I am having a single square of chocolate in public, because I no longer want people to drive by throwing things at me yelling out "Fat a**" or some similar insult. I want to experience what it is like to walk into a store and not worry if they carry a size that BIG or not. Basically, I want a taste of normalcy (yeah, yeah, normal is only a setting on a washing machine). My entire life I have been mentally ill. I started suffering horrific hallucinations when I was three that have resulted in some unique fears, like mirrors in a dark room, and depression and mania came with it. For the majority of my life it has been held hostage by one aspect of my illness and then another. With the medications being a large part of my weight, not all, but most, I feel that if I want to reach what recovery really is supposed to be then I need to find a way to gain back all aspects of my life not just no longer seeing Elvis dancing in my refrigerator or suicidal or wondering what it would be like to fly by jumping off of the roof... It is about recovering every aspect of my life that has been haunted by a mental illness.

The motto I live by: Recovery is the process of gaining control of one's life and the direction one wants that life to go.

It is time to live recovery not just talk about it.
  • spirit095
    spirit095 Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    Why? I was getting too complacent with myself and simply let myself go. I'm young and have energy, so I decided to channel that in myself and get healthy. Now I really do enjoy working out and learning more about health. You only live once! I'm going to make it count and try to get the most out of it :happy:
  • PennyVonDread
    PennyVonDread Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    My heart stopped and I nearly died.

My survival depends on exercising and attempts to raise my BP.

Though, if I must keep track, it wouldn't hurt to set and reach goals for improved function.

Living isn't a good enough reason for some people, though. I have one family member in particular who is suffering health-wise due to poor habits, particularly involving food. It's hard to watch, and I don't understand why staying alive isn't a good enough reason to step up.
  • OSUalum
    OSUalum Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Great post!

Over the years my Why has changed. It first began out of ego and appearance. Then it transformed into health and fitness. Now, as I get closer to 50, I want to keep strong and active. I still have so many goals and dreams yet unfulfilled. The traveling and adventures I want to have require that I am at my best. I have no intention of growing old gracefully!
  • KezJB
    KezJB Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Really annoys me that I've been a veggie for four years and never once been tempted, yet I can't feel that way about chocolate and ice cream!!
  • kportwood85
    kportwood85 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    My why? I don't want diabetes.

But also, I have a little boy. He's 10. He's a thrill seeker, wants to try everything. He gets that from me. His dad, his step-dad and his brother are all afraid of heights, don't like taking risks, etc. and I remember being the kid who could never find anyone to do anything with. I want to give him somebody to have adventure with, now. As I've looked up weight limits on things, I'm realizing, he'll only get bigger, so to continue to do things, at our combined weight, won't last much longer. I need to get smaller.

I've missed out on zip lining, and a treetop walk, and a couple other things because I was too heavy. Not happening anymore. Because Inside I'm not a fat girl, I'm a thrill seeker.
  • karenrich77
    karenrich77 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    My why is easy.

Diabetes.

The second I heard those words, it was the absolute shock I had needed for a very long time, the disease I am suffering from (Fibromyalgia with 24/7 vertigo) was as good an excuse as anything to let myself go.

Not anymore, now I use that same disease as a motivation to show it that I can beat it and it can't stop me from doing anything I want to do, even if it causes pain and fatigue. I keep going because of that other word.

Diabetes.

And already 11 weeks in, I am back to prediabetic. But the fight cannot stop here or ever. I will be victorious

It just shows, nothing is impossible in this world
  • karenrich77
    karenrich77 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    My WHY...because I have to do it. I am 36 years old and have been severely overweight since I was 7 years old. A lot of my weight has had to do being a lab experiment for doctors on medications, but not all of it. I've been told countless times by my doctors that I need to lose weight, but that I should not expect to with my medications. I want them to be wrong, because I cannot go on living feeling like I am trapped by my own body, wondering about people judging me because I am having a single square of chocolate in public, because I no longer want people to drive by throwing things at me yelling out "Fat a**" or some similar insult. I want to experience what it is like to walk into a store and not worry if they carry a size that BIG or not. Basically, I want a taste of normalcy (yeah, yeah, normal is only a setting on a washing machine). My entire life I have been mentally ill. I started suffering horrific hallucinations when I was three that have resulted in some unique fears, like mirrors in a dark room, and depression and mania came with it. For the majority of my life it has been held hostage by one aspect of my illness and then another. With the medications being a large part of my weight, not all, but most, I feel that if I want to reach what recovery really is supposed to be then I need to find a way to gain back all aspects of my life not just no longer seeing Elvis dancing in my refrigerator or suicidal or wondering what it would be like to fly by jumping off of the roof... It is about recovering every aspect of my life that has been haunted by a mental illness.

The motto I live by: Recovery is the process of gaining control of one's life and the direction one wants that life to go.

Go you! I love your attitude, you are the kind of person I would love to have as a friend in real life. You Step up. Take responsibility, say stuff you all I am doing it! Love love love love it!!

You go!! You can do it hun!!
  • tomwatso
    tomwatso Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    My Why: I discovered I had Hypothyroidism. To regulate the thyroid well, one needs to exercise quite a bit. I have lost quite few inches off of my waist. I want to treat the condition as best I can. So, that is my why.
  • MikePXstream
    Options
    Thank you for sharing. I can only imagine how hard life's little challenges have been for you. I have faith that you can do this. You have already started down the path to make a positive lifestyle change. Keep going and don't let anything stop you. You can do this! :flowerforyou:

• MikePXstream
    Options
    I can't imagine a stronger reason to make a lifestyle change than that. Goals are veryimportant, even if they are small ones at first. Keep up the good work. :smile:
    My heart stopped and I nearly died.

My survival depends on exercising and attempts to raise my BP.

Though, if I must keep track, it wouldn't hurt to set and reach goals for improved function.

Living isn't a good enough reason for some people, though. I have one family member in particular who is suffering health-wise due to poor habits, particularly involving food. It's hard to watch, and I don't understand why staying alive isn't a good enough reason to step up.
  • JoelleAnn78
    JoelleAnn78 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options

:heart: :heart: :heart:
  • JoelleAnn78
    JoelleAnn78 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options

You can do this :heart: