So tell us...is being skinny worth it?

Options

Replies

• SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    I, personally, hate the word skinny. My goal is to be fit, it's to continually test myself and reach new limits. If I had stuck to my original goal of "I just want to lose weight", sure I would've relapsed because there was no future with that. I think it's important to have more of an in depth thought process than just losing weight. Health is another important reason to get into shape. I will admit there is a tinge of vanity in my motivations too. I love the way I look now. I Feel much better about my outer appearance now than I ever have. This is worth it to me.
  • lavendy17
    lavendy17 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    hmmm. I don't know. I am not yet thin but am finally healthy and thinner than I was. I remember how fun it was to buy new clothes when I lost weight and being a size 6 was so cool.
    But sometimes I look back at how much fun it was to sit with my SO binge watch TV and order take out 3 times a week (chinese, pasta, pizza), and I miss it.
    I mean, sometimes, I miss how easy it all was, to go to brunch and have pancakes all the time, to eat comfy foods, I mean I love brown rice, but pasta is just so much more ummm yummy.
    I wonder if I was happier fat. I remember not caring too much that I was chubby, and was still able to buy nice clothes and even liked how I looked in a bikini. Now, I am thinner, but I judge myself more harshly and yeah, most food I eat is a bummer.
    But finally, the real honest answer is that those boring un-fun foods feel better after I eat them. I no longer have head aches and I don't feel sluggish and groggy all the time, and I don't constantly crave things. I can actually feel satisfied.
  • kristen2713
    kristen2713 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I haven't read them all, but I'm in for it not being about "skinny" but healthy, active and happy. It's not about dieting, it is about making different choices. Your friend sounds like he unfortunately couldn't find a happy medium, and that part does take time; but once you do, the things you gain such as confidence and energy are worth all the gold in the world. If you do it right, it will become a habit to do enough of the good things that will keep you healthy and fit to outweigh the few bad options you'll want to choose on occasion. :drinker: Good luck to you!!
  • lavendy17
    lavendy17 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I haven't seen this mentioned, but if "being skinny" is a goal, I can see why once you reach the goal, you're like, "meh". Nothing happens. You're just there now. The thing is, since being skinny isn't my goal, I will never reach a goal, per se. I have a goal to be fit, and that definition keeps changing. First it was to run 5 miles, then it was to run a half marathon, then it was to deadlift 300 lbs, now it's to dead lift 400 lbs. And, the goal just keeps moving and changing and getting more challenging. And, in training for the goals, there are nutritional requirements, and other things that you have to tend to and you can't ignore. When I get bored with lifting, maybe I'll get into rock climbing, or mountain bike riding, or who knows where life will take me and what kind of fitness goals I set. But, whatever they are, I do know that I'll keep challenging myself because I like it. I love the whole process from planning, training, eating, and then achieving. It's an amazing feeling. And, when you look back 5 years, and say, I did this, and this, and this, and this. It's an incredible feeling.

So, screw being skinny. That's a stupid goal. I get why people say that, and I think initially that is probably what most people think or start our doing. But, through that process, you should be discovering new things about yourself, and taking full advantage of that, and pushing yourself to do more.

I think for people that continue to maintain and hold off the weight, this is what they do. They continually find new ways of pushing and doing more. So, you never really reach a goal and stop. When you hit one goal, you set your sights higher, and hit the next one, and just keep moving forward blasting through goals. And, what's cool is, at least for me, the goals are always like a year-long journey. So, it takes a long time to get there, and it's awesome when you do it. And, it feels so good, right there and then, you start spinning in your mind about what the next goal will be.

I find this reply very inspiring over all.
    I can deadlift 90lbs... noob lifter (2 months), and I love that I can squat twice as much as my DH!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    I haven't seen this mentioned, but if "being skinny" is a goal, I can see why once you reach the goal, you're like, "meh". Nothing happens. You're just there now. The thing is, since being skinny isn't my goal, I will never reach a goal, per se. I have a goal to be fit, and that definition keeps changing. First it was to run 5 miles, then it was to run a half marathon, then it was to deadlift 300 lbs, now it's to dead lift 400 lbs. And, the goal just keeps moving and changing and getting more challenging. And, in training for the goals, there are nutritional requirements, and other things that you have to tend to and you can't ignore. When I get bored with lifting, maybe I'll get into rock climbing, or mountain bike riding, or who knows where life will take me and what kind of fitness goals I set. But, whatever they are, I do know that I'll keep challenging myself because I like it. I love the whole process from planning, training, eating, and then achieving. It's an amazing feeling. And, when you look back 5 years, and say, I did this, and this, and this, and this. It's an incredible feeling.

So, screw being skinny. That's a stupid goal. I get why people say that, and I think initially that is probably what most people think or start our doing. But, through that process, you should be discovering new things about yourself, and taking full advantage of that, and pushing yourself to do more.

I think for people that continue to maintain and hold off the weight, this is what they do. They continually find new ways of pushing and doing more. So, you never really reach a goal and stop. When you hit one goal, you set your sights higher, and hit the next one, and just keep moving forward blasting through goals. And, what's cool is, at least for me, the goals are always like a year-long journey. So, it takes a long time to get there, and it's awesome when you do it. And, it feels so good, right there and then, you start spinning in your mind about what the next goal will be.

I can deadlift 90lbs... noob lifter (2 months), and I love that I can squat twice as much as my DH!

i think you mean your DW
  • Platform_Heels
    Platform_Heels Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    You can be free spirited when it comes to eating food, just do it in moderation. Or have a "cheat meal" or "cheat day" whichever you fancy.

My goal is to be leaner. If it means making some sacrifices on food choices then I'm okay with that during the week. With that said when I go out on the weekends I'm not as concerned about the food I eat and therefore don't let it inhibit my fun. If I know it's going to be a night where I'm going to over indulge I'll make sure I work out harder that day.

But then again I'm more of an "I eat because I have to" sort of person for the most part. If I didn't have to eat every day I probably wouldn't.
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,655 Member
    Options
    7qCiJ.gif
    THIS.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    I've personally always preferred being slim and fit. I eat around 2000 calories a day. Have vacations of eating 2500 to almost 3000 calories a day. In many ways I am very free spirited. Skinny dipping. Sexually. Etc. I love dancing. I love hiking, being active. But this is just my preference.

I agree with this!
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options

i think you mean your DW

Dead Weight?
  • diana109
    diana109 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    No, because first I don't want to be skinny! Once I reached my goal weight it was about being able to do things with my kids, being comfortable in my own skin and enjoying life that much more. I haven't given anything up as for food.
  • kimad
    kimad Posts: 3,010 Member
    Options
    I think it is totally worth it if you find that good balance. You still need to enjoy your life and have fun, so if you restrict yourself from everything you love for the rest of your life you will be miserable.

So with that said, I have lost the weight, I have worked on my body shape, and I splurge... it's great.

I was a miserable, unhappy mess when I was overweight - the confidence I have now, the self esteem I have now, and the ability to put anything I want on and not feel uncomfortable or gross in it is worth every sacrifice I made.
  • kk_140
    kk_140 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Worth it, a million times worth it.

Before this journey I would try on clothes and every time WITHOUT FAIL I thought "God I hate the way I look!"

I haven't thought that once. Now, I can't get enough of trying on clothes and looking at myself and being looked at by others. I feel so good! I will never feel bad like I did at 163lbs. ever again.
  • MissLeelooDallas
    MissLeelooDallas Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Worth it for me too. I love feeling confident and energetic. I feel much more comfortable in my own skin than I did pre-MFP. I want to go out more and do fun active things like dancing and hiking. I get to buy cute, trendy clothes and feel happy and cute in them. Plus, I still eat the foods I want. I just eat them in moderation and I workout.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    My goals really have nothing to do with being "skinny". I've been fit and healthy most of my life and let myself go for about 10 years...desk job...busy....lots of other excuses. Unfortunately, packing on 50 Lbs and generally not taking care of myself resulted in not only being fat, but also a lot of bad blood work. Basically I was well on my way down the path towards type II diabetes along with soaring cholesterol levels and high triglycerides. I was heading down the same path as my dad did...he passed away at the ripe old age of 61.

Personally, I'm hoping to live a little longer than that...particularly considering my kids are 4 and 2 so when I'm 61 they will only be 23 and 25 and barely men. Over the last year and a half I have lost the weight...and more importantly I have reversed all of my bad blood work. Additionally, I have rediscovered my love of fitness. I would also add that I love food....I'm a total foodie....you can be healthy and fit and still enjoy food very much. I equally enjoy rocking my fitness which allows me to be pretty damned liberal with my intake...I'm not at all deprived living off of 2800 or so calories per day to maintain...it's pretty fun.
  • SpecialSundae
    SpecialSundae Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    I'm not skinny. I don't want to be skinny. I wear a size 8-10 UK (4-6 US) and I'm quite content not to go lower than that.

No, I don't want to get fat again, but instead of starving myself I built myself a new lifestyle that means that I am fit and strong and I'm having fun doing it.

I am a lot slimmer than I was. That's worth it.

I am a lot fitter than I was. That's worth it.

I am a hell of a lot stronger than I was. That's definitely worth it.

I eat MORE than I did when I was fat. That should seal the deal!

If you're starving, you're doing it wrong.

If you're living in total self-denial, you're doing it wrong.

If you're focusing on being skinny, whatever the cost... you're doing it wrong.
  • Rien5
    Rien5 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I used to think it was worth it. I'm very petite and though that I had to be skinny in order to live upto my very short height (this meant if I didn't have any bone structure, hips, butt or boobs so be it) I was never happy with my weight; even when it was at my lowest and approaching underweight. People used to guess my weight and comment about my size which just made me even more self conscious then I already was. Now I'm learning to be fit, healthy and happy instead of skinny, tired/weak and depressed. My mood has improved and I'm learning to love my body.
  • mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    100% worth it! I feel so much better both mentally and physically now. I have much more energy, it's not a chore just to do the simple things, such as rolling over in bed. I no longer feel embarrassed to go out in public. I feel like it has given me a new lease on life, and will work hard the rest of my life to never go down the morbidly obese road again!
  • Kitship
    Kitship Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, if someone lost weight and then put it back on, no, it wasn't worth it to that person.

I am not classified as skinny, but I am 100% confident that I will never go back to the way I was. That's how much it IS worth it, to me.
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    As soon as I'm safely under 200lbs I'm done. I have no wish to be skinny, just a lot healthier.
  • savemama
    savemama Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I feel like this is an issue with moderation.

Once you have achieved a healthy weight and actviity level, it is not AS MUCH work to maintain it. Weight LOSS is a lot of work, weight MAINTENANCE is less work.

My suspicion is that this person got skinny through some crash diet, or fad diet, or some marketed system. And didn't know how to transition into maintenance (OR was trying to maintain an unhealthy weight, or maintain without activity).

It's not like the two options are Skinny or FAT. There's a world of grey and plenty of spots that work for each of us.

The fact that he thought his options were skinny or fat means there is something in his thinking that isn't quite right. But more power to him if that works for him. I just don't think its indicative of anyone else.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!