Tell me words you can't pronounce correctly.

Options

Replies

• mariposa224
    mariposa224 Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    OOOH! I thought of a real one.

I don't know how to say Jaguar (I grew up saying "jag-wire"). I don't know if I can't, it just isn't one of those words that comes up in normal conversation. There was one person that called me out on my pronunciation once, but he's from Boston and everything he says comes out funny... :laugh:
    I've always said it Jag-wahr (rhymes with bar), but I like how the Brits say it on Top Gear: Jag-u-are
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    OOOH! I thought of a real one.

I don't know how to say Jaguar (I grew up saying "jag-wire"). I don't know if I can't, it just isn't one of those words that comes up in normal conversation. There was one person that called me out on my pronunciation once, but he's from Boston and everything he says comes out funny... :laugh:
    Jag-wire is how they say it in Jacksonville. It makes me stabby. :laugh: I kinda like some of the British accents where they say it "JAG you are". :happy:

Jinx! And edited to fix my accent marking. "jag YOU are" would make me stabby too.
  • The_Aly_Wei
    The_Aly_Wei Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    Popcicle also known as "paws-ick-le". I have to pause mid sentence to say it correctly.
  • hospitablegirl
    hospitablegirl Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Mirror. Always comes out mira
  • NerdyTXChick
    NerdyTXChick Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    "Acrylic." I have also been told that "Don" and "Dawn" aren't pronounced the same, but I pronounce them the same – I think that's a CA vs. LA accent thing, though.

Nothing personal, but my name is Dawn, and I intensely dislike when people call me by a man's name. It never occured to me that the person speaking it may not be able to pronounce it correctly. I usually have to get all Boston on them. I will keep this bit of info in mind for the future, though, so thanks for sharing :flowerforyou:

So how do you say your name? I don't know any other way to say "Dawn."

It's Dawn, like fawn, yawn, or lawn. I never had anyone call me "Don" (with the "ON" sound) until I entered the workforce. I've literally had to say "no, I am not a man. It is DAAWWWWWN. Like Awning" ... sheesh.
    Those pronunciations must vary depending on region. I say all of those things with the "on" sound, so Don & Dawn sound identical to me. It would also then be: fon, yon, lon & onning. lol I keep trying to discern what's supposed to be different there, but I can't see (hear) it. :ohwell:

I say them all the same as well. I've never been able to figure out what is supposed to be the difference between 'Don' and 'Dawn'.

I also say "puh-kahn".
  • wolfsbayne
    wolfsbayne Posts: 3,116 Member
    Options
    worcestershire sauce

To this day, I am still not quite sure what the correct way to say this word is..............obviously I mean "Worcestershire" and not "sauce". Lol I can pronounce "sauce"

Woost-a-sheer - easier as I'm a Midlander (UK) but it's not at all pronounced how it's spelt, annoyingly enough. Shrewsbury is also not Shrews-bury, but Shroes-bury. Special language... :P

This is how I was taught to pronounce it and I'm a Texan.
  • wolfsbayne
    Options
    I live in the south and there is always a debate on whether it is PeCAHN pie or PeCAN pie.....I am sad to admit I have used both b/c I am not sure which one it is supposed to be.

My former supervisor's name is Lara. I have worked here for over 6 years and I STILL have to make an effort to say her name correctly. She used to laugh at me all the time. It's LAR-uh...not Laura, not LAIR-uh.....I get tongue-tied just typing this out!
    There's no debate in the south. It's "puh-CAWN". "Pee-Can" is what those damn yankees have, and they can keep it!

:drinker:
  • wolfsbayne
    Options
    This thread is making me paranoid that I am not saying some of these words correctly and just never knew it.

There are a lot of things I CAN say correctly, I just get lazy with them. For instance, the days of the week - if my mom and I are having a conversation and a day comes up, "-day" comes out "-dee". Mon-dee, Tues-dee, etc.

I'm also not quite sure how the word "oil" is pronounced. My mom says "oi-ull", my dad says "oll".

Your days of the week thing really messed me up in kindergarten when we were told to "sound it out" when we spell something. Every day of the week ended in -dee!

Also, the letter "W". In Texas, it's always dub-ya. In kindergarten, I was always like, when are we going to learn the letter double-u! :laugh:

I always said double-u, but in spanish it's "doble ve" which makes more sense because it looks like a double V!
  • Pipsg1rl
    Pipsg1rl Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    I can pronounce most words correctly. But my problem is mental. There are times where the word I am trying to say will not come out of my mouth. Even if it is CAR. I will be able to talk but I can't say CAR. I will say, you know that thing we drive around in??? It has happened on the phone with customers too, very embarrasing. I work in the mortgage business and I was trying to say interest rate and I could not! I just put him on hold and tried to calm my mind down. UGH!!
    That's very interesting, but you're right, it's a different matter called anomia. If it's happening more and more frequently, I would seriously recommend mentioning it to your doctor. Not to alarm you.

any chance you take Topamax for any reason? I took it for migraines and it has a side effect that can cause you to not "source" a word for what you need from your brain. It makes your sentences really slow as you file though your memories for the right word.

That was probably the WORST side effect of the drug for me.

For example - I needed my son to get me a Phillips head screw driver. I could see the picture of it in my head and I asked my son for... a.. screw driver... with the top... ummmmm ... not like this! (and I held up a flat head). He looked at me like I was crazy.

...Dawn/Don - My uncles' name is Don. I pronounce it Dahn. My friends name is Dawn. I say her name Daun.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Options
    I think maybe I'm giving it too much duration by representing it as "puh-cawn". If you say it "pee-can", you're taking too long to say it. It's almost as if it's monosyllabic...

P'cawn.

And from now on, anyone who says "can" at the end of it, I'm going to repeat it back to them but change the "can" to "can't". As in, "you can't say it that way"! :laugh:
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Ummm...none? Lol, is this a thing? If I pronounce a word wrong, I get corrected and then I say it right from then on.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Options
    This thread is making me paranoid that I am not saying some of these words correctly and just never knew it.

There are a lot of things I CAN say correctly, I just get lazy with them. For instance, the days of the week - if my mom and I are having a conversation and a day comes up, "-day" comes out "-dee". Mon-dee, Tues-dee, etc.

I'm also not quite sure how the word "oil" is pronounced. My mom says "oi-ull", my dad says "oll".

Your days of the week thing really messed me up in kindergarten when we were told to "sound it out" when we spell something. Every day of the week ended in -dee!

Also, the letter "W". In Texas, it's always dub-ya. In kindergarten, I was always like, when are we going to learn the letter double-u! :laugh:

I always said double-u, but in spanish it's "doble ve" which makes more sense because it looks like a double V!
    Spanish is evolved from Latin, where u and v are the same letter. Hence, "doble v" and "double u".
    :themoreyouknow:
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Options
    Ummm...none? Lol, is this a thing? If I pronounce a word wrong, I get corrected and then I say it right from then on.
    But what if there is more than one "right"? Then what do you do? How do you choose whose variant is right?
  • wolfsbayne
    Options

Spanish is evolved from Latin, where u and v are the same letter. Hence, "doble v" and "double u".
    :themoreyouknow:

Truth...the more you know and now I know! Thanks! :flowerforyou:
  • wolfsbayne
    Options
    My fiance says "expresso" for espresso. Drives me nuts!
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Options
    ...Dawn/Don - My uncles' name is Don. I pronounce it Dahn. My friends name is Dawn. I say her name Daun.
    I think at least for Texans, when surrounded by those consonants, "ah" and "au" are produced identically. Hence, they sound the same.
  • feedmedonuts
    feedmedonuts Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    phenomenom
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Options
    phenomenom
    It ends with an "n", dear, as it's a singular derived from the Greek, like "odeon", "acromion", or "criterion". PhenomenON. But it's fun to say it wrong... "phenomenomenomenomenon"! Sorta like Nanny Ogg knowing how you start spelling "banana", but wasn't sure how to stop.
  • tiona83
    tiona83 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Crayon. I say Crown and have to concentrate to say it properly.
  • Pipsg1rl
    Pipsg1rl Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    I think at least for Texans, when surrounded by those consonants, "ah" and "au" are produced identically. Hence, they sound the same.

I'm not from Texas but I live here now...

so the first has less jaw movement. I try to shape the 'w' in Dawn.
    Don = Bomb
    Dawn = Awn(ing)