Tell me words you can't pronounce correctly.

Options

Replies

• hallf13
    hallf13 Posts: 7
    Options
    I have a really hard time pronouncing "rural" ,"Marlboro", and "Worcestershire."
  • Operation_Shred
    Options
    Supercalifragilisticexpialicocious. I fk that one up every time.
  • jasonmh630
    jasonmh630 Posts: 2,850 Member
    Options
    damn were-shesh-ter sauce.

I've had it wrong for YEARS.

THIS^^^
  • tlcarolinagirl
    tlcarolinagirl Posts: 1,700 Member
    Options
    Rural ......grrr I hate trying to say it.
  • tlcarolinagirl
    tlcarolinagirl Posts: 1,700 Member
    Options
    damn were-shesh-ter sauce.

I've had it wrong for YEARS.

THIS^^^

And this, too...hahaha
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    This thread is making me paranoid that I am not saying some of these words correctly and just never knew it.

There are a lot of things I CAN say correctly, I just get lazy with them. For instance, the days of the week - if my mom and I are having a conversation and a day comes up, "-day" comes out "-dee". Mon-dee, Tues-dee, etc.

I'm also not quite sure how the word "oil" is pronounced. My mom says "oi-ull", my dad says "oll".

Your days of the week thing really messed me up in kindergarten when we were told to "sound it out" when we spell something. Every day of the week ended in -dee!

Also, the letter "W". In Texas, it's always dub-ya. In kindergarten, I was always like, when are we going to learn the letter double-u! :laugh:
  • chani8
    chani8 Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    I know someone who actually pronounces the "wh" sound in common words like "which". Don't you just say, "wich". Not "whhhhiich"!!:noway:
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    This thread is making me paranoid that I am not saying some of these words correctly and just never knew it.

There are a lot of things I CAN say correctly, I just get lazy with them. For instance, the days of the week - if my mom and I are having a conversation and a day comes up, "-day" comes out "-dee". Mon-dee, Tues-dee, etc.

I'm also not quite sure how the word "oil" is pronounced. My mom says "oi-ull", my dad says "oll".
    Nah, they're just regional variations. People who love language intensely don't really get on their ear about people saying things "correctly" because we're more interested in the way the living language is actually used. It doesn't do anybody any good sitting in a museum under glass. :heart:

I guess by the beautiful bluebonnets that surround you in your pitcher :wink: that you're from my neck o' th' woods. I think "oll" is a more West Texas accent, and "OY-ull" is a less regional pronunciation. I certainly say "Wens-dee" in colloquial speech. I also say "ten" and "tin"/"pen" and "pin" exactly the same way too... "seven, eight, nine, tin!" :laugh:
  • geishaaa7
    Options
    These are the most common ones I don't pronounce right:

Specific = Pacific
    Cinnamon - Cinnaminum
    Penalty = Pelanty

:(
  • Dozrzz
    Dozrzz Posts: 245
    Options
    Ok so when I was younger, I grew up in the north and my parents are from the north. But then we moved to the south and I've lived her for 15 years or so...

When I am discussing Pecan Pie (which I love!) I use two different pronunciations!!!

I use peCANS in my peCAHN pie.

So everytime time I am referring to the actual pie it is peCAHN. But when I am referring to the ingredient that goes in the pie I say it as pecan.

Am I the only person who does this? Maybe it is because of my mixed up background...
  • Zomoniac
    Zomoniac Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    I just think of it as a phrase. I can't think of a context I'd say "entendre" without the "double" prefix, so in my head it all comes as one and I pronounce it all in French.
    Are you from England? This might be a pond thing. I think in general, British English speakers are more facile with French than are American English speakers.

I am indeed :)
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Options
    daw0518
    QUINOA.

I don't care what you say, I still pronounce it 'KEY-NO'.

I'd never heard it pronounced in my life, so for the past two years since I discovered it in the market, I've called it like it's spelled..."quin-oh-ah". Then I recently served it to an american guest and was shocked when he pronouced it "keen-wa". Wth???
    It's a Quechua word. Which language is pronounced roughly "KETCH-wah".

Try this one on: Quetzalcohuātl. I think maybe if you know how to pronounce that one, quinoa makes sense more readily.
  • Tifftiff321
    Options
    give up

quit

can't

just one bite

not today

I'll start tomorrow
    ok suddenly I can't pronounce those words either lol
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Ok so when I was younger, I grew up in the north and my parents are from the north. But then we moved to the south and I've lived her for 15 years or so...

When I am discussing Pecan Pie (which I love!) I use two different pronunciations!!!

So everytime time I am referring to the actual pie it is peCAHN. But when I am referring to the ingredient that goes in the pie I say it as pecan.

Am I the only person who does this? Maybe it is because of my mixed up background...

I use both pronunciations of "route" depending on how I'm using it in a sentence. If I say Route 66 or some other major highway like that, I always use the "root" pronunciation.

If I'm refering to a small back country road, I always use the other pronunciation.
  • Sovi_
    Sovi_ Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Specific always mess me up
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Options

If you say "puh-CAN" and not "PEE-CAN" I'm inclined to forgive you. :wink: I don't see how people can let a word that sounds so gross come out of their mouth to describe such deliciousness.
  • latenitelucy
    latenitelucy Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    +1 for rural.
    I feel like I sound like an old car trying to turn over.
  • LBeth1015
    LBeth1015 Posts: 35 Member
    Options

Nah, they're just regional variations. People who love language intensely don't really get on their ear about people saying things "correctly" because we're more interested in the way the living language is actually used. It doesn't do anybody any good sitting in a museum under glass. :heart:

I guess by the beautiful bluebonnets that surround you in your pitcher :wink: that you're from my neck o' th' woods. I think "oll" is a more West Texas accent, and "OY-ull" is a less regional pronunciation. I certainly say "Wens-dee" in colloquial speech. I also say "ten" and "tin"/"pen" and "pin" exactly the same way too... "seven, eight, nine, tin!" :laugh:

No offense intended, but it looks like one of those poopin' in the bluebonnet pictures. :laugh:
  • chani8
    chani8 Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    daw0518
    QUINOA.

I don't care what you say, I still pronounce it 'KEY-NO'.

I'd never heard it pronounced in my life, so for the past two years since I discovered it in the market, I've called it like it's spelled..."quin-oh-ah". Then I recently served it to an american guest and was shocked when he pronouced it "keen-wa". Wth???
    It's a Quechua word. Which language is pronounced roughly "KETCH-wah".

Try this one on: Quetzalcohuātl. I think maybe if you know how to pronounce that one, quinoa makes sense more readily.

:noway: :ohwell: :embarassed: Excuse me. Quechua??? What/where is that? I've got it on that word though, "ketch-all-co-halt", right?
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Options

I use both pronunciations of "route" depending on how I'm using it in a sentence. If I say Route 66 or some other major highway like that, I always use the "root" pronunciation.

If I'm refering to a small back country road, I always use the other pronunciation.
    I circumvent the problem. A "r-oot" (rhymes with fruit) is what attaches a plant to the ground. A "r-out" (rhymes with trout) is what happens to an army who gets roundly thrashed. That thing people drive on is a "road". Problem solved. :wink:

How do you pronounce the largest size of drink that Sonic has? :laugh: