Tell me words you can't pronounce correctly.

Options

Replies

• Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    Entendre, as in 'double entendre'. I struggle so hard with it! Where is the emphasis and inflection?!
    Easy. It's French. Say it "on-TOND." :smile:
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    I live in the south and there is always a debate on whether it is PeCAHN pie or PeCAN pie.....I am sad to admit I have used both b/c I am not sure which one it is supposed to be.

My former supervisor's name is Lara. I have worked here for over 6 years and I STILL have to make an effort to say her name correctly. She used to laugh at me all the time. It's LAR-uh...not Laura, not LAIR-uh.....I get tongue-tied just typing this out!
    There's no debate in the south. It's "puh-CAWN". "Pee-Can" is what those damn yankees have, and they can keep it!

Puh-Cahn? Haven't heard that one yet! And I just asked all the girls at work...and they all said it is Pee-Can for the South and Pee-CAHN (or Pee-CON, if that makes more sense) is for the North. Bahahahaha! See.....it is just too dang confusing!

I'm from Oklahoma, we say puh-cawn. "Boy did you get them puh-cawn's picked up?"
    I'm just thankful I've never had to say sister-mom! lol
  • MrsG31
    MrsG31 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    worcestershire sauce

To this day, I am still not quite sure what the correct way to say this word is..............obviously I mean "Worcestershire" and not "sauce". Lol I can pronounce "sauce"

Pronounced "Woo-ste-Shire" sauce, I believe. :)

That's how I say it, lol!

On a side note: I was born in Worcester, MA and everyone always says War-chester...and that is NOT how you say it. It is more like Wuss-ter, but I know the way it is spelled makes it difficult for people.
    What?! The city in Mass is pronouced "Wista"! As in, "I live in Wista, Mista!"

Sort of....my family who lives up there will say Wuss-ta...but I said was born there, not raised there, so I don't say it like it. :)
  • jasonmh630
    jasonmh630 Posts: 2,850 Member
    Options
    worcestershire sauce

To this day, I am still not quite sure what the correct way to say this word is..............obviously I mean "Worcestershire" and not "sauce". Lol I can pronounce "sauce"

Pronounced "Woo-ste-Shire" sauce, I believe. :)

Only after you looked that up, right? ;)

Actually, no! Believe it or not, I have a close friend that's from the UK and he informed me that I had been mis-pronouncing it my entire life. haha :P

What were you pronouncing it as in the first place? Life is a learning curve - English county names are someone trying to take you out with a crossbow along the way.

I would normally pronounce it similarly to how it's spelled -- "Wor-Chester-Shire"
  • LBeth1015
    LBeth1015 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Wash....I have no discernable accent, but as soon as I say this word Texas Hillbilly comes out and it's pronounced WARSH. Sigh. :embarassed:
  • Sinisterly
    Sinisterly Posts: 10,913 Member
    Options
    I can't seem to pronounce "no" to my wife. When I attempt it, I usually reagain consciousness later with a big frying pan sized welt on my forehead.
    XD
  • kittenful
    kittenful Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Brewery.

Love the place, loathe the word.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Options
    Grosvenor and Edinburgh also wind me up slightly.

I know it's Grow-vner and Edin-borough but I can't get my head right with them.
    I didn't know the first one; thank you! How else would you say the second one? "Eden" like the Garden of Eden and "burg" like "iceberg"?
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Options
    Wash....I have no discernable accent, but as soon as I say this word Texas Hillbilly comes out and it's pronounced WARSH. Sigh. :embarassed:
    Nope. All my family in the Upper Midwest say "warsh" too. As in, "put the warsh-rag in the bathtub".
  • phuckingbadasscutie
    phuckingbadasscutie Posts: 1,619 Member
    Options
    caterpillar and ambulance
  • MrsG31
    Options
    I live in the south and there is always a debate on whether it is PeCAHN pie or PeCAN pie.....I am sad to admit I have used both b/c I am not sure which one it is supposed to be.

My former supervisor's name is Lara. I have worked here for over 6 years and I STILL have to make an effort to say her name correctly. She used to laugh at me all the time. It's LAR-uh...not Laura, not LAIR-uh.....I get tongue-tied just typing this out!
    There's no debate in the south. It's "puh-CAWN". "Pee-Can" is what those damn yankees have, and they can keep it!

Puh-Cahn? Haven't heard that one yet! And I just asked all the girls at work...and they all said it is Pee-Can for the South and Pee-CAHN (or Pee-CON, if that makes more sense) is for the North. Bahahahaha! See.....it is just too dang confusing!

Well, that's how we say it in Texas, anyway, and pecan is our state tree, so there. :tongue: Hehe.

My husband is from Texas, but I can't remember how he says it. I'll have to ask him later today, fun dinner conversation!
  • sportyredhead01
    sportyredhead01 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Cracker Barrel.
    Comes out Crack-el Barrel...every time.
  • FaithfulJewel
    FaithfulJewel Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Grosvenor and Edinburgh also wind me up slightly.

I know it's Grow-vner and Edin-borough but I can't get my head right with them.
    I didn't know the first one; thank you! How else would you say the second one? "Eden" like the Garden of Eden and "burg" like "iceberg"?

Yeah, my default was Gros-Venor and Edin-Berg. Neither of which are right XD
  • Zomoniac
    Zomoniac Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Entendre, as in 'double entendre'. I struggle so hard with it! Where is the emphasis and inflection?!

It's sort of On-Tond-r. Or Awn-Tawn-dr. It's French (well, the phrase is an English re-wording of a French phrase), so it makes more sense if you say it with the accent. And the "double" is more "doooble" than "dubble" in the context too.
  • MrsG31
    Options

Texas Hillbilly's say Warsh? I never knew that! My husband's side of the family all hail from Ohio and they say Warsh...even after they have lived in FL for years, longer than they lived in Ohio!
  • MiloBloom83
    MiloBloom83 Posts: 2,724 Member
    Options
    nuclear
    rural, especially if i say it over and over

And the never not funny "cashew"
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Options

It's sort of On-Tond-r. Or Awn-Tawn-dr. It's French (well, the phrase is an English re-wording of a French phrase), so it makes more sense if you say it with the accent. And the "double" is more "doooble" than "dubble" in the context too.
    Interesting. I've never thought of "double" as being French in this context. Just "entendre". Double gets to be a good old English word that comes along for the ride.

Most non-French speakers can't do the rolling r at the back of the tongue, let alone do it at the end of a word, so I think it's fairest to them if they're just allowed to say it "on-TOND".
  • MrsG31
    Options
    This thread is very entertaining and educational! Thanks OP for giving me something to do at work to pass the time!:drinker:
  • derrickyoung
    derrickyoung Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I can't seem to pronounce "no" to my wife. When I attempt it, I usually reagain consciousness later with a big frying pan sized welt on my forehead.

Me too but usually starts out as no end ends up as yes dear.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Options

Texas Hillbilly's say Warsh? I never knew that! My husband's side of the family all hail from Ohio and they say Warsh...even after they have lived in FL for years, longer than they lived in Ohio!
    I think it might just be generic American hick speak.

I agree, I love this thread too. If anybody ever wants me to stop being a butthead in the forums, distract me with a shiny language thread. :wink: