Tell me words you can't pronounce correctly.

Options

Replies

• Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    Saying Flipped Classroom mucks me up for some reason.

Comes out as Fripped Crassroom at times.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    ...Dawn/Don - My uncles' name is Don. I pronounce it Dahn. My friends name is Dawn. I say her name Daun.
    I think at least for Texans, when surrounded by those consonants, "ah" and "au" are produced identically. Hence, they sound the same.

I'm not from Texas but I live here now...

so the first has less jaw movement. I try to shape the 'w' in Dawn.
    Don = Bomb
    Dawn = Awn(ing)
    "Bomb" and "awning" have the same initial vowel sound to us too.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Options
    Crayon. I say Crown and have to concentrate to say it properly.
    This is the second time I've heard that on this thread. I am mystified! Where are you from? Surely you and the other fella must be from the same place.
  • Saucy_lil_Minx
    Saucy_lil_Minx Posts: 3,302 Member
    Options
    If I speak too quickly, and I am trying to ask my Hubby to run to the"Store" for me. My families Southern Roots slip out, and I end up asking him to run to the "Star" for me. He always responds with, "That's a mighty long run there Little Lady."

Growing up my mother would always say "Chimley" for "Chimney" , and "Twicet" for "Twice"....drives me crazy.
  • SGM_Adonis
    SGM_Adonis Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options
    My Spanish inclided tongue isn't very kind when it comes to pronouncing anything that has a "CH" in the word...they come out as "SH" sound.

: /

Chair is Share.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Options
    My Spanish inclided tongue isn't very kind when it comes to pronouncing anything that has a "CH" in the word...they come out as "SH" sound.

Chair is Share.
    Then please explain why my foster family could not pronounce my name as Mishelle and insisted that it was Mitchelle... :laugh:

It's just that "ch" is "sh" at the beginning of words, right? "Charles" is "Sharles", but it's not "shursh", it's "shurtch". Right?
  • Ke11er
    Ke11er Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    "Acrylic." I have also been told that "Don" and "Dawn" aren't pronounced the same, but I pronounce them the same – I think that's a CA vs. LA accent thing, though.

Nothing personal, but my name is Dawn, and I intensely dislike when people call me by a man's name. It never occured to me that the person speaking it may not be able to pronounce it correctly. I usually have to get all Boston on them. I will keep this bit of info in mind for the future, though, so thanks for sharing :flowerforyou:

So how do you say your name? I don't know any other way to say "Dawn."

It's Dawn, like fawn, yawn, or lawn. I never had anyone call me "Don" (with the "ON" sound) until I entered the workforce. I've literally had to say "no, I am not a man. It is DAAWWWWWN. Like Awning" ... sheesh.
    Those pronunciations must vary depending on region. I say all of those things with the "on" sound, so Don & Dawn sound identical to me. It would also then be: fon, yon, lon & onning. lol I keep trying to discern what's supposed to be different there, but I can't see (hear) it. :ohwell:

Can't "hear" the difference, these are all the same to me too. Wow, I never realized!!
  • BlueButterfly94
    BlueButterfly94 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    It reaaallly all depends on the day and how much sleep I've had. Mostly I end up saying things with some sort of British accent from time to time.
  • Karissa_Clohan
    Karissa_Clohan Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I can pronounce anything within the vocabulary I know, but my wife has trouble with her "sp". Like spaghetti, specific. It comes out psketti, and pacific.

I am so glad I'm not the only one! For the life of me, I can not properly pronounce "specific"!
  • MrsG31
    MrsG31 Posts: 364 Member
    Options

Chair is Share.

I have come across that with my name, it has a CH right in the middle of it.
  • iPlatano
    iPlatano Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Ummm...none? Lol, is this a thing? If I pronounce a word wrong, I get corrected and then I say it right from then on.

Wow Im jealous!
  • iPlatano
    iPlatano Posts: 487 Member
    Options

Chair is Share.

Same here man. Im Spanish as well. I think thats my problem!
  • Forty6and2
    Forty6and2 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    I pronounce "collar" and "color" exactly the same. I can't hear the difference, so there's no difference in them when I say them. Also, I pronounce the silent "l" in "walk" and "talk."
  • smithed812
    smithed812 Posts: 289
    Options
    From working in a place that sells cigarettes.... I don't think anyone can say the word "Marlboro," weirdest word EVER
  • vimox
    vimox Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Rice Krispies. I say Rice Kripsies.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Options
    sticker,375x360.png
  • smithed812
    smithed812 Posts: 289
    Options
    sticker,375x360.png

+1!
  • mxmkenney
    mxmkenney Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    worcestershire sauce

To this day, I am still not quite sure what the correct way to say this word is..............obviously I mean "Worcestershire" and not "sauce". Lol I can pronounce "sauce"

This! I always send up saying "war-chesh-shish-shure"???? lol

Oh, just thought of another one. There is a street in my town called Rengstorf, but I constantly call it REGANSTORF - it drives my husband nuts!:laugh: I have to really concentrate not to call it that.
  • mxmkenney
    mxmkenney Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Crayon. I say Crown and have to concentrate to say it properly.
    This is the second time I've heard that on this thread. I am mystified! Where are you from? Surely you and the other fella must be from the same place.

I know someone who says "crown" too! I always thought it was the strangest thing. It is even more odd that there are other people that say CRAYON that way too!! I mean I could see maybe saying it "cran", but "crown"?????
  • mzbek24
    mzbek24 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Ferrero Rocher