Tell me words you can't pronounce correctly.

Options

Replies

• SuperC_85
    SuperC_85 Posts: 393
    Options
    For some reason my tongue trips all over 36th..
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    I usually say "ax" instead of "ask." Not that I can't pronounce it. Just so use to saying it.

I can say "ask" but have difficulty with "asked". I can say it with concentrated effort but when used in everyday speech, it comes out as "ast"
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    Rural
  • PeteWhoLikesToRunAlot
    PeteWhoLikesToRunAlot Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Oh, and the name "Carl". It usually ends up coming out like "Curl". I'm stupid.
  • zillah73
    zillah73 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    "Acrylic." I have also been told that "Don" and "Dawn" aren't pronounced the same, but I pronounce them the same – I think that's a CA vs. LA accent thing, though.
  • hush404
    hush404 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Familiar.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    I have a hell of a time with "patronize". Is it a "long" or a "short" a? I've heard it said both ways. Yet despite how I say it, I'm usually told that it's the other way.
    That's awfully patronizing of them.

In my idiolect, the pronunciation difference corresponds to a meaning difference.

If I'm spending money in someone's business, I am pay-tronizing them, with a long a, like in neighbor or weigh. :wink:

If I'm being condescending, I am pa-tronizing them, with a short a, like the a in cat or hat.
  • morethenjustmum
    morethenjustmum Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    For ages i switched specific and pacific
    also rhinoceros always comes out rhinososaurus, but i think that's having three dino obsessed boys.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I can't say 'retarded'.

thats just not true... its a word you use frequently!
  • FaithfulJewel
    FaithfulJewel Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    worcestershire sauce

To this day, I am still not quite sure what the correct way to say this word is..............obviously I mean "Worcestershire" and not "sauce". Lol I can pronounce "sauce"

Pronounced "Woo-ste-Shire" sauce, I believe. :)

Only after you looked that up, right? ;)
  • MrsG31
    MrsG31 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I live in the south and there is always a debate on whether it is PeCAHN pie or PeCAN pie.....I am sad to admit I have used both b/c I am not sure which one it is supposed to be.

My former supervisor's name is Lara. I have worked here for over 6 years and I STILL have to make an effort to say her name correctly. She used to laugh at me all the time. It's LAR-uh...not Laura, not LAIR-uh.....I get tongue-tied just typing this out!
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Options
    worcestershire sauce

To this day, I am still not quite sure what the correct way to say this word is..............obviously I mean "Worcestershire" and not "sauce". Lol I can pronounce "sauce"

Around here, it's "wist-uh-shur". Like "wistful", the "uh" you say when you're collecting your thoughts, and "sure" as in "certain."
  • Iceberg_Simpson
    Iceberg_Simpson Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    I have a lisp. Anything with an 'S', I can't pronounce correctly.
  • daw0518
    daw0518 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    QUINOA.

I don't care what you say, I still pronounce it 'KEY-NO'.
  • CassandraBurgos83
    CassandraBurgos83 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    marlboro-not that I smoke, but it grinds my gears that I can't spit this one out correctly.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Options
    I live in the south and there is always a debate on whether it is PeCAHN pie or PeCAN pie.....I am sad to admit I have used both b/c I am not sure which one it is supposed to be.

My former supervisor's name is Lara. I have worked here for over 6 years and I STILL have to make an effort to say her name correctly. She used to laugh at me all the time. It's LAR-uh...not Laura, not LAIR-uh.....I get tongue-tied just typing this out!
    There's no debate in the south. It's "puh-CAWN". "Pee-Can" is what those damn yankees have, and they can keep it!
  • AllieBear88
    AllieBear88 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    give up

quit

can't

just one bite

not today

I'll start tomorrow

Nice!
  • MrsG31
    MrsG31 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    worcestershire sauce

That's how I say it, lol!

On a side note: I was born in Worcester, MA and everyone always says War-chester...and that is NOT how you say it. It is more like Wuss-ter, but I know the way it is spelled makes it difficult for people.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options

In the south, it's always PeCAHN. My northerner husband says peCAN, with the accent on the first syllable.

Where I come from, Lara is often a last name, so that would be doubly confusing to me.
  • cornfritter22
    cornfritter22 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    For some reason "field goal" comes out as "field gold".