Dieting = Craving BAD foods

Options

Replies

• lavendy17
    lavendy17 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    We have pizza about once a month, we plan for it, make sure we can "afford" it and we made a rule- no pizza without salad. So if we want pizza, we have to make and eat a salad first.

I had the same issue like you, when I dieted I dreamt about pastries.
    The key is to focus on saying YES to things. Yes to fruits/veggies, wholesome foods, yes to learning healthy cooking, yes to bringing snacks to work, and YES to planning ahead, including for treats.

When you change your mindset from NO to YES, it looks really different.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    There are no bad foods. You can still enjoy the things you mentioned, just fit them into your daily allowance.

I would suggest that some junk food go beyond being neutral to vein bad if they have a high content of trans fat (that's not particularly good for your body).
  • KombuchaCat
    KombuchaCat Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    Cut out the sugar, I mean ALL fructose (HFCS, table sugar, fruit juice, anything with fructose) and even all fruit for a while. You will have to read labels like a hawk to make sure they do not have any added sugar. No processed foods. If you do this your body will detox from the sugar and return to your natural hunger signals. The cravings will get much better. After 8 weeks you can add back in some fruit but only eat fructose in the whole fruit so it is tempered by the fiber. Check out the book "Fat Chance" by Dr. Robert Lustig and a webite called "I Quit Sugar."
    I totally disagree that there are no bad foods. Different foods effect you mentally and physically in different ways. When everyone decided that fat was bad they removed that from food and replaced it with sugar...and that's when everybody ballooned.
    Whole food is good, processed food is bad.
  • dominoid747
    dominoid747 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    There are no bad foods. You can still enjoy the things you mentioned, just fit them into your daily allowance.

I would suggest that some junk food go beyond being neutral to vein bad if they have a high content of trans fat (that's not particularly good for your body).

I wouldn't personally think of that as making the food bad though. Trans fats are still fine to eat in moderation, it's again all about recognising which foods are sensible everyday and which are better being left for occasional consumption.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    Cut out the sugar, I mean ALL fructose (HFCS, table sugar, fruit juice, anything with fructose) and even all fruit for a while. You will have to read labels like a hawk to make sure they do not have any added sugar. No processed foods. If you do this your body will detox from the sugar and return to your natural hunger signals. The cravings will get much better. After 8 weeks you can add back in some fruit but only eat fructose in the whole fruit so it is tempered by the fiber. Check out the book "Fat Chance" by Dr. Robert Lustig and a webite called "I Quit Sugar."

OP:
    Disregard this nonsense.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

To the OP and anyone else reading along.....

If anyone ever tells you to cut out fruits and/or vegetables, tell them to go jump in a lake, and ignore anything they ever say about anything ever.
  • FireOpalCO
    FireOpalCO Posts: 641 Member
    Options

The foods she mentioned craving had nothing to do with sugar. It was foods that are meaty, cheesy, etc. (hamburgers, pizzas).
  • KombuchaCat
    Options

If anyone ever tells you to cut out fruits and/or vegetables, tell them to go jump in a lake, and ignore anything they ever say about anything ever.

I did not say to remove fruits or vegetables, I said to cut out fruit for a while to reduce the fructose in your diet. After the detox you would add it back in. Learn to read, please.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    I totally disagree that there are no bad foods. Different foods effect you mentally and physically in different ways. When everyone decided that fat was bad they removed that from food and replaced it with sugar...and that's when everybody ballooned.
    Whole food is good, processed food is bad.
    WMnCCqS.gif
  • jonnythan
    Options

I did not say to remove fruits or vegetables, I said to cut out fruit for a while to reduce the fructose in your diet. After the detox you would add it back in. Learn to read, please.

You didn't say remove fruits, you said to cut them out for a while.

What's the difference?

Sorry, your advice is awful, ridiculous, and is borne from a gross misunderstanding of biology and nutrition.

My advice stands: anyone who tells you to cut out fruit, for any length of time, should be completely ignored about everything forever.
  • Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Does anyone else have the problem that when you are trying your best to eat healthier, make better choices, and move more that it's like your body/mind is fighting you?

I feel like I have NO control over what my body craves and wants. I get tired of telling myself that I can't have pizza, hamburgers, french fries, etc and I give in. My husband says it's because I don't have the willpower or the "want to", but I feel defeated EVERYTIME I make a lifestyle change and I don't stick with it.

I've tried the "food swaps" and while some of them are reasonable and delicious, most of them leave me wanting the real thing. Example: I made Spinach and Feta pizza on whole wheat crust instead of Three Meat pizza. While the taste was delicious, I still wanted meat.. and lots of it!

Maybe a lifestyle change is too drastic for you. Instead, go for a lifestyle adjustment. Just add in a few more nutrient dense foods and remove a few of those nutrient sparse foods. Don't go all or nothing, go some and some.

Edit: By remove I don't mean completely eliminate any food, just cut back.
  • KombuchaCat
    Options

What's the difference?

Sorry, your advice is awful, ridiculous, and is borne from a gross misunderstanding of biology and nutrition.

My advice stands: anyone who tells you to cut out fruit, for any length of time, should be completely ignored about everything forever.

To the OP, take it or leave it, this has worked for me. As you can see people get really angry when you tell them to stop eating sugar, though, so beware.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Does anyone else have the problem that when you are trying your best to eat healthier, make better choices, and move more that it's like your body/mind is fighting you?

I feel like I have NO control over what my body craves and wants. I get tired of telling myself that I can't have pizza, hamburgers, french fries, etc and I give in. My husband says it's because I don't have the willpower or the "want to", but I feel defeated EVERYTIME I make a lifestyle change and I don't stick with it.

I've tried the "food swaps" and while some of them are reasonable and delicious, most of them leave me wanting the real thing. Example: I made Spinach and Feta pizza on whole wheat crust instead of Three Meat pizza. While the taste was delicious, I still wanted meat.. and lots of it!

you are thinking all wrong..

there is no "bad" food..there is nothing wrong with eating pizza, hamburgers, French fries, etc, you just have to eat less of them.

If you eat those foods and maintain a deficit you will lose weight, period.

I always find that the 80/20 rule seems to work well for people...80% healthy, 20% whatever you want. I eat ice cream every day and drink on the weekends....
  • jonnythan
    Options

What's the difference?

To the OP, take it or leave it, this has worked for me. As you can see people get really angry when you tell them to stop eating sugar, though, so beware.

I don't think anyone is angry. Perhaps you're projecting?
  • dominoid747
    dominoid747 Posts: 33 Member
    Options

OP:
    Disregard this nonsense.

I wouldn't put it quite so bluntly, but I would certainly question if it is wise to do this or long term sustainable. Our body needs glucose (if it didn't then we wouldn't have a pancreas!)

I certainly would question Lustig's research as there's quite a few inaccuracies and ommisions in his work (his description of the Maillard browning process for example as being the reason that a banana browns) and his conclusions are disputed by a number of his peers.

The problem is that it is human nature to hope for a panacea. There really isn't one, the issue for most of us is our relationship with food. I got the size I am by eating for comfort or boredom, for most of us, the desire to overeat is usually related to emotion. (Obviously not for everyone, but it sounds like in your case OP, you have a similar situation to me that sometimes it's not really about being hungry, but about 'wanting' food)
  • Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options

What's the difference?

I don't think anyone is angry. Perhaps you're projecting?

The last bastion of the person with no debate ammunition left: "My opponent is just angry." They then drop the microphone, put their hands in the air and walk away as if that last point is somehow a winner.

Worthless debate tactic is worthless (and silly).
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    OP - I will add one more thing...pre-logging really helps with these things...so if I know that we are having a work luncheon with cake, burgers, etc, I go ahead and log that first and then build the rest of my day around it, so I know what my calorie and macro count will look like...
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

I wouldn't personally think of that as making the food bad though. Trans fats are still fine to eat in moderation, it's again all about recognising which foods are sensible everyday and which are better being left for occasional consumption.

IMO a moderate amount of trans fat is zero (although that is a very difficult figure to achieve as it is in a lot of processed products).

Apart from studies showing it causes inflammation and oxidation in the body, there is a suggestion it causes more weight gain (per calorie) than other fats!

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2006/06/060619133024.htm
  • jonnythan
    Options

What's the difference?

Also, I looked up the symptoms of an out of balance vata dosha, which you claim you have according to your profile. Symptoms include being underweight, fatigue, poor stamina, rough skin, etc. That describe you?
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

What's the difference?

I'm not suggesting cutting out fruit, but what's the big deal if the OP did. It's not essential food?