Dieting = Craving BAD foods

Options

Replies

• tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    Cut out the sugar, I mean ALL fructose (HFCS, table sugar, fruit juice, anything with fructose) and even all fruit for a while. You will have to read labels like a hawk to make sure they do not have any added sugar. No processed foods. If you do this your body will detox from the sugar and return to your natural hunger signals. The cravings will get much better. After 8 weeks you can add back in some fruit but only eat fructose in the whole fruit so it is tempered by the fiber. Check out the book "Fat Chance" by Dr. Robert Lustig and a webite called "I Quit Sugar."
    I totally disagree that there are no bad foods. Different foods effect you mentally and physically in different ways. When everyone decided that fat was bad they removed that from food and replaced it with sugar...and that's when everybody ballooned.
    Whole food is good, processed food is bad.
    Did you really just recommend a Lustig book? Really? Wow, I don't even know where to begin.

any sentence that starts with "cut out all sugar..." goes to ignore mode...

Oh if only it was that easy to get on your ignore list - I would start all my posts with that phrase.
    If that's how you feel, the solution is simple: Put him on YOUR ignore list.

Maybe if you ate more sugar, you would have thought of that ...

I eat enough sugar thanks.

My comment was a wee bit of sarcasm, maybe someone is being a bit sensitive.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Cut out the sugar, I mean ALL fructose (HFCS, table sugar, fruit juice, anything with fructose) and even all fruit for a while. You will have to read labels like a hawk to make sure they do not have any added sugar. No processed foods. If you do this your body will detox from the sugar and return to your natural hunger signals. The cravings will get much better. After 8 weeks you can add back in some fruit but only eat fructose in the whole fruit so it is tempered by the fiber. Check out the book "Fat Chance" by Dr. Robert Lustig and a webite called "I Quit Sugar."
    I totally disagree that there are no bad foods. Different foods effect you mentally and physically in different ways. When everyone decided that fat was bad they removed that from food and replaced it with sugar...and that's when everybody ballooned.
    Did you really just recommend a Lustig book? Really? Wow, I don't even know where to begin.

Oh if only it was that easy to get on your ignore list - I would start all my posts with that phrase.

Perhaps someone is ...
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

Carb intake is strongly correlated with brain function. Just putting that out there.

That would explain a lot, thanks I will take that into consideration when reading your posts. Maybe if you fuelled your brain with some ketones it would have some positive impact.

Ohhhh wait I get it you meant my brain! You are a funny guy. Lol
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    That would explain a lot, thanks I will take that into consideration when reading your posts. Maybe if you fuelled your brain with some ketones it would have some positive impact.

Don't you mean keytones?
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

Perhaps someone is ...

Lol. If I was the sensitive type I would do what most others do and follow the herd.
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

Don't you mean keytones?

Oh that's a forum violation.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    Lol. If I was the sensitive type I would do what most others do and follow the herd.

What herd? The "herd" in the fitness and nutrition industry is very strongly anti-sugar, anti-processed food.
  • incantarix
    Options
    It's insane how a thread can change from page 1 to the last page:

page 1; "Can someone help me with my food cravings?"

page 6: "I'm putting you on ignore! Maybe if YOU would blah blah blah, then YOU could blah blah blah!!!!"

Wow, I thought people came here for help, not a ride on the wahmbulance.

I'm exhausted.
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

What herd? The "herd" in the fitness and nutrition industry is very strongly anti-sugar, anti-processed food.

Not on MFP. Pro sugar I think you will find.

You should do a survey on a separate thread (serious suggestion)

Sugar food or bad - I bet the result will strongly be on the side of good on the MFP forum.
  • rml_16
    Options

page 6: "I'm putting you on ignore! Maybe if YOU would blah blah blah, then YOU could blah blah blah!!!!"

I'm exhausted.

I PM'd my response to the OP. From her response, I'm pretty sure I helped her quite a bit.
  • rml_16
    Options

More like "pro common sense."
  • Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options

or pro rational thought.
  • RawIndian
    RawIndian Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I recommend that you consume lots of fruits and vegetables. Go raw as much as possible for each meal.

It worked wonders for me with respect to junk food craving. (But you will still crave fruits and veggies though which is OK) :smile:

Bottomline your food cravings for "health damaging" foods will simply disappear.

Try it.
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

Maybe from the members as a whole but not from the people on this page (and yes I include myself for fairness).
  • jonnythan
    Options

Sugar food or bad - I bet the result will strongly be on the side of good on the MFP forum.

The idea that anti-sugar, anti-processed food adherents or proponents are vastly outnumbered on MFP is ridiculously laughable. If anything it's the other way around.

There is of course a vocal, active IIFYM subset on MFP. It's not just coincidence that they represent a large portion of the members who have found long-term success.
  • sarahliftsUP
    sarahliftsUP Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    There's a huge difference in dieting and having a diet. Those successful in weight loss don't diet, they simply have a diet!

Omit these words from your vocabulary: bad foods, cheat food, cheat meal, cheat day. It is giving too much power over food and then makes you feel naughty for having it! I call foods that aren't necessarily the best for me 'treats'. I'll eat my eggs for breakfast, salad for lunch, etc. and if I want a serving of ice cream or some nachos one day, then I'm going to have them! And it's not willpower or cheating, it's called being realistic and having a diet!
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

I'm exhausted.

I PM'd my response to the OP. From her response, I'm pretty sure I helped her quite a bit.

If that's the case and your suggestions sounded of interest to her then good. That's the outcome that it should be from people looking for help.
  • lindsey1979
    lindsey1979 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options

The idea that anti-sugar, anti-processed food adherents or proponents are vastly outnumbered on MFP is ridiculously laughable. If anything it's the other way around.

There is of course a vocal, active IIFYM subset on MFP. It's not just coincidence that they represent a large portion of the members who have found long-term success.

Do you have any numbers to back that up? I'd be very interested to see some data on what has worked and not worked for folks on IIFYM, vegan, etc. or just generally for those on MFP -- even though I understand the inherent problems with self-reporting.
  • jonnythan
    Options

Do you have any numbers to back that up? I'd be very interested to see some data on what has worked and not worked for folks on IIFYM, even though I understand the inherent problems with self-reporting.

No numbers, no. If someone compiled numbers, however, I'm fairly confident that you'd see a distinct trend. I've found similar trends in real life as well as on MFP.
  • charkendrick
    charkendrick Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I recommend a book called "Diet Rehab." I'm reading it now and it's explaining why I've been addicted to food all my life. According to the author some people are low in serotonin and some in dopamine and that's what makes us crave high fat and sugary foods. It has nothing to do with "willpower" and everything to do with our brains. This makes sense to me as I have a tendency to be addicted to EVERYTHING. I'm seven years sobers as an alcoholic and as soon as I stopped drinking I turned to my other favorite drug of choice--food-- and gained over seventy pounds. I'm not saying this applies to you but it just made me feel good to read because it allowed me to stop beating myself over my inability to use my willpower to stop binge eating and just know that like my other struggles it would take a one day at a time approach and to give myself a break. The author is not big on counting calories, however, and I don't feel the need to do everything he says, but it's given me a new way to look at my issues. Thought this might help you.