Dieting = Craving BAD foods

Options

Replies

• missomgitsica
    missomgitsica Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    Don't eliminate those foods. Just eat them in moderation. I still eat fast food on a pretty regular basis but stay within my calorie limit and I'm doing fine.
  • AllieMarie2244
    AllieMarie2244 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Does anyone else have the problem that when you are trying your best to eat healthier, make better choices, and move more that it's like your body/mind is fighting you?

I feel like I have NO control over what my body craves and wants. I get tired of telling myself that I can't have pizza, hamburgers, french fries, etc and I give in. My husband says it's because I don't have the willpower or the "want to", but I feel defeated EVERYTIME I make a lifestyle change and I don't stick with it.

I've tried the "food swaps" and while some of them are reasonable and delicious, most of them leave me wanting the real thing. Example: I made Spinach and Feta pizza on whole wheat crust instead of Three Meat pizza. While the taste was delicious, I still wanted meat.. and lots of it!

your husband is mean lol geez

I look at it like this
    since im VERY lazy... clearly (i have like 150lbs to lose)
    I too am craving pizza or enchiladas taquitos quesadillas etc
    Pizza one slice is like 300+ calories (i'd usually eat 4 = 1200 calories)
    Enchiladas can range from 1000 to maybe 1500 calories
    taquitos idk but i havent looked it up I just assume fried tortilla smothered in guac and cheese wont be good lol
    quesadilla is like 1000 calories at like del taco or a mexi place

in my mind if im eating all those calories say the pizza 1200 max then i need to get it off which means an enormous amount of exercise to cancel out the fact that I just ate like a beast
    so in my mind... why waste all those calories just so i have to punish myself later? or also to feel AWFUL in the form of stomach pains and god knows what in the bathroom
    also if im going to work out i want that to futher myself in weight loss not just so i can not gain

make sense?
  • nancy10272004
    nancy10272004 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Cut out the sugar, I mean ALL fructose (HFCS, table sugar, fruit juice, anything with fructose) and even all fruit for a while. You will have to read labels like a hawk to make sure they do not have any added sugar. No processed foods. If you do this your body will detox from the sugar and return to your natural hunger signals. The cravings will get much better. After 8 weeks you can add back in some fruit but only eat fructose in the whole fruit so it is tempered by the fiber. Check out the book "Fat Chance" by Dr. Robert Lustig and a webite called "I Quit Sugar."
    I totally disagree that there are no bad foods. Different foods effect you mentally and physically in different ways. When everyone decided that fat was bad they removed that from food and replaced it with sugar...and that's when everybody ballooned.
    Whole food is good, processed food is bad.

I did this and eventually ended up in treatment for binge eating disorder. I had to learn how to eat sugar properly and in the right proportions. Now I am healthy mentally, emotionally and physically.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    It's insane how a thread can change from page 1 to the last page:

page 1; "Can someone help me with my food cravings?"

page 6: "I'm putting you on ignore! Maybe if YOU would blah blah blah, then YOU could blah blah blah!!!!"

Wow, I thought people came here for help, not a ride on the wahmbulance.

I'm exhausted.

I PM'd my response to the OP. From her response, I'm pretty sure I helped her quite a bit.

If that's the case and your suggestions sounded of interest to her then good. That's the outcome that it should be from people looking for help.
    I PM'd her what's in my first post on this thread, if you're interested. It was, actually, full of common sense.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    Lol. If I was the sensitive type I would do what most others do and follow the herd.

What herd? The "herd" in the fitness and nutrition industry is very strongly anti-sugar, anti-processed food.

Not on MFP. Pro sugar I think you will find.

You should do a survey on a separate thread (serious suggestion)

Sugar food or bad - I bet the result will strongly be on the side of good on the MFP forum.

The idea that anti-sugar, anti-processed food adherents or proponents are vastly outnumbered on MFP is ridiculously laughable. If anything it's the other way around.

There is of course a vocal, active IIFYM subset on MFP. It's not just coincidence that they represent a large portion of the members who have found long-term success.

Okay I have posted the thread - lets see.

If you want me to adjust the wording on the thread page - send over what you would like me to change it to.
  • getitamb
    getitamb Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    My numbers are actually better when I give in . I say moderation is key for keeping it off .
  • lindsey1979
    lindsey1979 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    Lol. If I was the sensitive type I would do what most others do and follow the herd.

What herd? The "herd" in the fitness and nutrition industry is very strongly anti-sugar, anti-processed food.

Sugar food or bad - I bet the result will strongly be on the side of good on the MFP forum.

The idea that anti-sugar, anti-processed food adherents or proponents are vastly outnumbered on MFP is ridiculously laughable. If anything it's the other way around.

There is of course a vocal, active IIFYM subset on MFP. It's not just coincidence that they represent a large portion of the members who have found long-term success.

Do you have any numbers to back that up? I'd be very interested to see some data on what has worked and not worked for folks on IIFYM, even though I understand the inherent problems with self-reporting.

No numbers, no. If someone compiled numbers, however, I'm fairly confident that you'd see a distinct trend. I've found similar trends in real life as well as on MFP.

Wait. So you've never seen any data on that but just declared it to be so? This is just based on your personal observation?
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

Do you have any numbers to back that up? I'd be very interested to see some data on what has worked and not worked for folks on IIFYM, even though I understand the inherent problems with self-reporting.

No numbers, no. If someone compiled numbers, however, I'm fairly confident that you'd see a distinct trend. I've found similar trends in real life as well as on MFP.

Wait. So you've never seen any data on that but just declared it to be so? This is just based on your personal observation?

Yes, it is based on my personal observation that a large portion of MFP members who have found long-term success follow an IIFYM style.
  • lindsey1979
    Options

Yes, it is based on my personal observation that a large portion of MFP members who have found long-term success follow an IIFYM style.

Wow. Okay. No confirmation bias there.
  • jonnythan
    Options

No, I don't think there is, really. If you want to come up with data that disputes it, go ahead.
  • amandaygriffin
    amandaygriffin Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Cut out the sugar, I mean ALL fructose (HFCS, table sugar, fruit juice, anything with fructose) and even all fruit for a while. You will have to read labels like a hawk to make sure they do not have any added sugar. No processed foods. If you do this your body will detox from the sugar and return to your natural hunger signals. The cravings will get much better. After 8 weeks you can add back in some fruit but only eat fructose in the whole fruit so it is tempered by the fiber. Check out the book "Fat Chance" by Dr. Robert Lustig and a webite called "I Quit Sugar."

OP:
    Disregard this nonsense.

NO problem! :bigsmile:
  • Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options

OP:
    Disregard this nonsense.

NO problem! :bigsmile:

This exchange just brightened my day a little!
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    I recommend a book called "Diet Rehab." I'm reading it now and it's explaining why I've been addicted to food all my life. According to the author some people are low in serotonin and some in dopamine and that's what makes us crave high fat and sugary foods. It has nothing to do with "willpower" and everything to do with our brains. This makes sense to me as I have a tendency to be addicted to EVERYTHING. I'm seven years sobers as an alcoholic and as soon as I stopped drinking I turned to my other favorite drug of choice--food-- and gained over seventy pounds. I'm not saying this applies to you but it just made me feel good to read because it allowed me to stop beating myself over my inability to use my willpower to stop binge eating and just know that like my other struggles it would take a one day at a time approach and to give myself a break. The author is not big on counting calories, however, and I don't feel the need to do everything he says, but it's given me a new way to look at my issues. Thought this might help you.

Congrats on beating your drug addiction! :drinker: People who have chemical imbalances self medicate to feel better - it is an entirely reasonable response to such an imbalance. Fortunately, we have come a long way in understanding how to help such imbalances with medications. If you haven't already done so, you might want to talk to someone about treatment. Although I never had weight issues, I DID self medicate with food when I was undiagnosed with GAD and depression. Getting that successfully treated meant that I was no longer continually obsessed with thinking about food. And what a relief that was!
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options

I have observed this as well.
  • jonnythan
    Options

You missed the part where observing something is automatically confirmation bias.
  • lindsey1979
    Options

No, I don't think there is, really. If you want to come up with data that disputes it, go ahead.

How many people do you really think you've personally encountered here on MFP? And why do you think that is a representational sample of all MFP users?

I just can't believe anyone would make such a statement, especially someone that purports to be a proponent of common sense and rational thought.
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

There is an obvious reason for this! MFP is inherently a calorie counting website which advocates and lends itself to IIFYM.

It would only be of concern if those members were not the majority.

But I'm not sure MFP is reflective of the dieting society as a whole!?
  • jonnythan
    Options
    How many people do you really think you've personally encountered here on MFP? And why do you think that is a representational sample of all MFP users?

I just can't believe anyone would make such a statement, especially someone that purports to be a proponent of common sense and rational thought.

I'm pretty confident in saying that I've encountered almost all of the people who have been posting here longer than a month (if you exclude the people who hangout exclusively in the chit-chat threads).

Being a proponent of common sense and rational thought doesn't magically preclude someone from making observations about a population.

Really not sure where this is coming from, unless you have some anti-IIFYM agenda or something.
  • KombuchaCat
    KombuchaCat Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    IIFYM certainly does work. I've seen many people on here get the weight off and keep it off that way. I think it depends on how you are wired. Personally, one Twizler leads to the whole bag of Twizlers...I know, I know...I have the physical ability to put the bag down anytime. However if I'm being realistic with myself that's just not going to happen. I had to get my cravings under control and move forward from there on a whole foods diet.
    Thanks to everyone for offering up some great books, I will definately be checking them out :love:
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

I'm pretty confident in saying that I've encountered almost all of the people who have been posting here longer than a month (if you exclude the people who hangout exclusively in the chit-chat threads).

Being a proponent of common sense and rational thought doesn't magically preclude someone from making observations about a population.

Really not sure where this is coming from, unless you have some anti-IIFYM agenda or something.

IIFYM works just fine for some but not all.

Just as LCHF works just fine for some but not all.